Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
tyandskyesmom
DIS Veteran

The Deluxe Dining That Was Not Supposed To Happen - with lots of PICTURES!!!

Well...since I am on such a high from actually finishing my last (and first) dining report, I may as well set up my next one...

This was the trip that wasn't supposed to happen. We had been on our last trip in January 2008. Lou had been laid off about a year ago. We were not supposed to be vacationing again so soon. But then we found some great tickets on Southwest Airlines and Disney Visa put out an offer of FREE DINING!!!! Oh, after our last deluxe dining adventure, we just couldn't resist. We booked for November 19 thru December 2, 2008 at Pop Century. And this was only about three months out. ADRs were still being made 180 days out so by my standards I was LATE! I never, ever plan a trip on this short of notice! So I started planning ADRs. And we kept coming up with more and more...we just could not limit them to one a night. So, I contacted my on-line Travel Agent and asked into adding the Deluxe Dining plan. Before I booked, I had to call to make sure I could get everything I wanted. Being that we would only be paying for half of the Deluxe Dining Plan (about $750.00) we could either rake in the benefits of the deluxe plan or we could take it a litle more relaxed of a visit. Well, I could get most of what I wanted. Times were a bit off but we're flexable. Here is what we ended up with...

Captain's Grille - lunch
California Grill - Dinner
Hollywood & Vine - Breakfast
Dip Site

Brown Derby - Dinner
Everything Pop

1900 Park Fare - Breakfast
Coral Reef - Lunch
Tuttl Italia - Dinner

Tuskerhouse - Breakfast
Boma - Dinner
Ohana - Breakfast
The Plaza - Lunch
Kona Cafe - Breakfast
Mama Melrose - Lunch
Marrakesh - Lunch
Chefs de France - Dinner
Tuskerhouse - Breakfast
Yak & Yeti - Lunch
Cape May Cafe - Breakfast
Yachtsman Steakhouse - Dinner
San Angel Inn - Lunch
Rose & Crown - Dinner
Sci-Fi Dine Inn - Lunch
Hollywood & Vine - Dinner
Boma - Breakfast
Grand Floridina Cafe - Lunch
The Wave - Breakfast
Crystal Palace - Lunch
Narcoossees - Dinner

It was just me (turning 38 on this trip) and the kids (Ty now 10 and Skye 4) again. We decided this trip would take the place of Tyler's birthday Birthday party and gift this year so essentially we were celebrating both of our birthdays. Skye was celebrating her Un-Birthday! We were doing a few new meals this trip and some old favorites. We could not get Le Cellier or Chef Mickey's or The Castle. We did keep trying for Chef Mickey's and The Castle...but we never got an ADR.

I'm going to get organized and then I will get started...

Last edited by tyandskyesmom; 03-17-2009 at 12:28 PM.
tyandskyesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:14 PM   #2
Uncle Remus
Raconteur
can't name 'em Jeb, George, and Barbara, these are GOOD dogs!

Okay, I'll wait here for you.

Uncle Remus is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
BreTyPres87
Mouseketeer

Yay i'm in! I was sad when u were finished with the last one today so this should be good!!

Last trip June 2010
Read my DxDDP Dining Report Here

Next trip is in the works for Winter 2014
BreTyPres87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:44 PM   #4
tyandskyesmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Remus View Post
Okay, I'll wait here for you.
So, you're either hungry or want to be, hu? Glad you enjoyed my last one (wow, I can actualy say that now!)...I hope you stick around for this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreTyPres87 View Post
Yay i'm in! I was sad when u were finished with the last one today so this should be good!!
Yeah! I was hoping you'd follow! Working on uploading pictures now...shouldn't be too long...
Old 02-20-2009, 08:45 PM   #5
Uncle Remus
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreTyPres87 View Post
I'd been lurkin' on that thread, made me sad to see it end too, but wow, did we luck out or what?

Old 02-20-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
Uncle Remus
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyandskyesmom View Post
So, you're either hungry or want to be, hu? Glad you enjoyed my last one (wow, I can actualy say that now!)...I hope you stick around for this one!

Yeah! I was hoping you'd follow! Working on uploading pictures now...shouldn't be too long...
Did I mention I'm waitin'?

just teasin' ya.

I can't wait.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:52 PM   #7
tyandskyesmom
DIS Veteran

Everything Pop

We arrived early in the late morning and unlike our last check-in on New Year's Day at All-Star Movies, check-in at Pop Century was a breeze. We got our info and headed to Everything Pop for our mugs.

Three muggs = $39.91...covered on the deluxe dining plan!

Cool!
Old 02-20-2009, 09:36 PM   #8
tyandskyesmom
DIS Veteran

Captain's Grille

Before I start I shoudl tell you that before our trip Tyler and I were very sick....like come home from schol sick. Ty started it with a fever and what seemed like a cold. Then I got it as he got better (after a trip to the doctor and some medicine) I got sick. So I headed to the doctor. Two days before we are to leave, Tyler has a stomach bug...home from school, yucky, spend lots of time sleeping and in the bathroom kind of sick...on his second day, I got it! Tyler was able to handle that day at school but I was at home sick...and unable to function! And the next day we were going on a vacation with just the three of us on a plane for two and a half hours. And to top it all off, we were planning on eating a lot on vacation. And we were better but not feeling all the way back to normal yet. And the worst part of the unknown was...Would Skye get it???? On that lovely note, let's get started.

We had our now second annual first day lunch at Captain's Grille. The first difference was that we actually caught a bus and then a boat right away and we were even a bit early for our 1:40pm ADR. We arrved around 1pm and were taken right in and seated on the right as you walk into the room. There might have been a few more people inthere than on our last visit but not many. Our waitress, Mouna, was a bit odd but nice just the same. She took our drink orders - diet cokes for Skye and me and Coke for Tyler. Then she came back and took our order...but before she did she asked to see our room key to verify our plan. We were not asked this on our last trip...but we did find it happened often this time around. I mean, it is not a big deal but I would have to grab the backpack from Ty and dig for a key when I had not planned on doing it so it was a bit inconvienent. I understand that a lot of people probably don't know what plan they are on or even that there are different plans so it is probably just a safe guard for them.

For an appetizer, I had the Crab Cakes again.

Just as good as I remembered from last year! Tyler did not get an appetizer becasue he chose fries with his meal. Skye had the chicken soup...

It was good soup...she pulled all the noodles out and some of the chicken.

So for entrees I had the Lobster Roll again...

Oh my goodness, unlike last time, this had huge chunks of lobster in it...you can see them in the picture! Oh, it looked so good! But, unfortunately, it was just ok this time. And it wasn't that I had built it up so much from last time. It was a bit fishy. And I like fish so what's that say? I ate about half of it and then the bread. The orzo salad was good.

Oddly enough, both ofthe kids ordered the Kid's nuggets...

They ate them all (although that's not saying much as there were not that many to begin with!) so they must have been good...but how do you mess up a nugget? Tyler shared his fries with Skye.

For dessert they had the kabobs again and I got the Chocolate Mousse Cake again. Somehow I do not have pictures of the dessert here but it was exactly the same as the last time (so go read my other review). Except, the kabob was much better...when I had to eat them...ahem!

Our service was weird. Not bad exactly but not good either. I think it may have been a language issue...maybe.

So overall, it was ok and had we never been there before, we might even say good. But since we had such a wonderful experience last time, we were a bit disappointed. Maybe it was just us, not feeling completely well yet. But maybe it wasn't. We would still return...with hopes that this was the fluke not our first visit. We were there about an hour.

Cost = $55.32 and we tipped $10.00. On this trip, I used cash to tip everywhere we went rather than my room charge. It was easy that way and we did not have to wait longer for it all to be processed and the card returned.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:39 PM   #9
DisneycrazedX6
Mouseketeer

Can't wait to hear more!!! I cant believe you were offered Free Dining....I have that card, why not me???????? So jealous!!!!!

2009:All Star Sports, Animal Kingdom Villas, Saratoga Springs Resort
1996-All Star Sports
1999-All Star Movies
2000-All Star Movies and Beach Club Resort
2002- Fort Wilderness Campground
2003-Port Orleans Riverside
2004-Animal Kingdom Lodge and All Star Music
2005-Old Key West+All Star Sports+Boardwalk Villas+Pop Century+Villas of Wilderness Lodge
2006-All Star Music + Saratoga Springs
2007-Beach Club+Boardwalk+Port Orleans
2008-Pop+Beach Club+All Star Movies
DisneycrazedX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:43 PM   #10
tyandskyesmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneycrazedX6 View Post
Can't wait to hear more!!! I cant believe you were offered Free Dining....I have that card, why not me???????? So jealous!!!!!
I think it was for everyone who had the Disney Visa at the time...I know, I was super surprised becasue it has never been offered at that time. And everyother time a deal comes out, I am unable to take advantage of it (like the 7/e deal or the 40% pin I got for the first time EVER as soon as I got back from this trip!). Keep an eye out on the Disney Visa mailer...you never know what is gonna come up!
Old 02-20-2009, 10:20 PM   #11
livinlife25
DIS Veteran

I dont think ive ever gotten that offer either!

April 2014- Pop Century
Jan 2013- POR
Sep 2009- AKL
2 visits in 1990's- OKW
livinlife25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:24 PM   #12
Uncle Remus
Raconteur

I just know I'm gonna go nuts readin' this review since you got the DDP with appetizers.

If you have a moment coz I can only imagine writing these reviews are quite time consuming, could you mention what else they offer at Captain's Grille?
Ever had their breakfast, anything special about it? Allears doesn't seem to have a menu for them and if I decide to upgrade (yeah, I'm thinkin' about it ),
Captain's Grille would work for me logistically.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:25 PM   #13
TruBlu
I was very excited to see how yummy it looks!
You can do what we do and go to BOTH!
I could have been contender.... instead, I'm just itchy

Great so far! I missed your other review. I'll have to check that one out too.

"Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate." -Captain Jack Sparrow

TruBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:57 PM   #14
wdwfanatic316
Mouseketeer

Great start! Can't wait to hear more reviews!
Old 02-20-2009, 11:13 PM   #15
danalee
You wouldnt understand, its a New Kids thing!

count me in
1998 Sept ~POFQ (honeymoon)
2005 Aug ~All Star Movie Son's first trip! B-day Surprise!
2006 Sept ~PoP w/ free dining (& 8th wedding anniversery)
2008 Aug ~All Star Sports Son's B-Day
2010 Sept ~POFQ Friends, Family & Anniversary Trip!
2012 Sept ~POFQ w/ BFF & Family~
danalee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: