Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2009, 06:54 PM   #481
NotSoEvilStepmother
*Not a real stepmother*

I love your comparisons because its just the simple things. Not which one is "better" than the other, but the small differences.

I just got back from doing the City Pass tour of SoCal (we got back into town at midnight last night). Your advice and tips really did help me. I didn't feel safe at Universal. And it was so dirty. It brought me out of the Disney bubble. We actually didn't spend much time at Disneyland and CA, unfortunately (seriously, in three days and an early admission all we did was 9 rides...and that's counting all the times we rode the same rides).

As for the zoo and Sea World, it was definately a different experience for me because I haven't been there since I was very young and I could walk past some random things and all of a sudden just remember being 4 and doing the same thing. The trip itself was not magical in the least due to a few of the people I was traveling with.

But thanks for all of your tips cuz they really did help! I'm gonna hop over to your PTR now.
Mom, My Hand's Smell--A First Timer's Trip Report--Now Complete
NotSoEvilStepmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:20 AM   #482
coolmommy
Earning My Ears

Hi, I just now read your trip report for this trip as well as your one from WDW. This may have already been answered, but I wondering, you were celebrating your daughter's birthday in September in WDW, and then again in May in DL? Did I miss something?

coolmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-05-2009, 06:00 AM   #483
pmama
DIS Veteran

Ha, ha! You are the first to notice this.

When we booked our Sept. 2008 trip to WDW we had originally priced a trip in May and the prices were much higher. We decided we couldn't go that time of year. We had NO IDEA we'd be going to DL in May. Our very first trip to WDW the year before 2007 had been over older DD's birthday and we really wanted to do the same for youngest DD. So, we ended up booking the Sept. trip just before DD's 4th birthday and decided that we couldn't go exactly on her birthday but that the trip is a present for her birthday. (If that makes any sense.) So, yes, we did reserve that great experience at Coral Reef so that she'd really feel like the trip was purchased for her birthday. We would not have done this if we had any idea we'd actually be in DLR for her birthday. At that time we were new Disney fans and really had no idea we'd be returning as much as it's ending up to be. Thanks for asking, and reading.
pmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #484
coolmommy
Earning My Ears

oh, ok! That makes sense! can't wait to read more

coolmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:42 AM   #485
OneTreeHillAddict
CNC Photography of Myrtle Beach, SC

So far the comparisons are GREAT! I do hope the new Space Mountain will be a side by side with music like the one at DLR. Hopefully it will be open when we get there in December.
OneTreeHillAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:35 PM   #486
MeLaNie9
DIS Veteran

Great TR! You have a lovely family!
I am trying to read up on DL with TRs - mostly looking for those from WDW vets who went to DL because that's what we will be come Nov!
Love your comparisons with pictures.
What did you think of the Matterhorn - I think you said that you rode this? I am a ride chicken but love BTMRR - hoping that Matterhorn is similar.
I have never been on Space Mountain in WDW - mostly I have chickened out with the dark and the single seats (not able to sit next to DH), and last time we were there it was closed for the refurb. With DL's version having the double seats I am wondering if I can do it??? I usually prefer to see what's coming (esp. hills) - is it so dark that you can't tell what's up next?

04/1978 CR, 07/1985 CR, 06/1993 DL, 11/2000 ASSp, 05/2006 Poly, 02/2007 YC, 11/2007 CSR, 12/2008 BC, 05/2009 POFQ, 11/2009 DLR-GCH, 05/2010 Atlantis launch and CBR, 11/2010 BWI, 05/2012 POR, 08/2012 DCL-Dream and POR, 10/2013 CSR and DCL-Dream, 3/2014 DCL-Magic surprise getaway!
MeLaNie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:28 AM   #487
javamoma
Diz Kid for Life
"Reboot" is the extent of my techinical knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeLaNie9 View Post
Great TR! You have a lovely family!
I am trying to read up on DL with TRs - mostly looking for those from WDW vets who went to DL because that's what we will be come Nov!
Love your comparisons with pictures.
What did you think of the Matterhorn - I think you said that you rode this? I am a ride chicken but love BTMRR - hoping that Matterhorn is similar.
I have never been on Space Mountain in WDW - mostly I have chickened out with the dark and the single seats (not able to sit next to DH), and last time we were there it was closed for the refurb. With DL's version having the double seats I am wondering if I can do it??? I usually prefer to see what's coming (esp. hills) - is it so dark that you can't tell what's up next?
I think it's less scary in the dark. I don't feel like any of the SM hills are that bad (and I am terrified of roller coasters in most theme parks). Maybe I would feel different if I saw them with the lights on. Maybe it's my equillbreum (?sp) because on Rockin Roller Coaster in WDW I never knew we went upside down through loops a few times until someone told me. And that was after I had ridden it several times! I am all for dark coasters!

DH myself DD7 and DS 2
1986: childhood trip, 1991:childhood trip, 1993: church trip, 1994: school trip, 1999: 21st b-day
2000: college graduation
2005: first trip with DH to WDW
2007: DD's first trip
2010: DL for DD's 5th b-day, DS 2 months old 1st trip
javamoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:53 AM   #488
Dizneydaz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeLaNie9 View Post
I'll jump in her as a DLR vet and a multiple visitor to WDW.

Matterhorn is similar to BTMRR but rougher. If you don't like riding in the dark make sure you ride during the day as there are parts of the Matterhorn where you are inside the mountain and it can be fairly dark.

SM-is dark inside. But if you can sit in the front car, front seat you can usually see the tracks (at least a little bit) to see what's coming. But it is dark, just so you know.
Dizneydaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:04 PM   #489
MickeyReeds
Mouseketeer

I enjoyed your WDW report and have just read your DLR report. We are considering a November trip to So. Cal--my DH's aunt and uncle live in Long Beach and would love for us to come out. It was very interesting reading your comparisons. I will have lots of research to do if we do get to go!
MickeyReeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:53 PM   #490
hlrababy
Disney Princess ~Tinkerbell, sprinkle me with your pixie dust~ That castle is mine!!

Hey! Joining in late, but I am here!
Now, off to catch up!
hlrababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:44 PM   #491
pigby
This one might be a little more challenging

Just like to say - loving your trip report - it's of particaular interest as you went this year at the same time we will be going next year. Have you been to WDW at this time of year as well - we have and I was hoping that DLR would be a little quieter - it will be our first trip to DLR.

Notsoevilstepmother - you have me a little worried about Universal Hollywood now about not feeling safe - I read the OP's experience and hoped this might be a one off but I wondered what your experiences were? We are also big fan of Universal in Orlando and looking at the attractions, it looks likes most of our favorites are covered in Hollywood and therefore a 'must do'

Sept 2013 Loews Hollywood/Candy Cane Inn DLR, June 2012 Portofino Bay/OKW, Aug 2011 OKW/HRH, April 2011, Candy Cane Inn DLR, California, March 2011 Sequoia Lodge DLRP, Jul 2010 HoJo, Disneyland California, Dec 2009 Santa Fe DLRP, May 2009 ASMu/BCV,Aug 2008 CSR/RPR - WDW/Universal, Oct 2007 Santa Fe DLRP,Dec 2006 Sequoia Lodge DLRP, Aug 2006 RPR/Saratoga Springs- Universal/WDW, May 2006 Cheyenne DLRP,Oct 2005 ASMo - WDW,July 2005 POP/WL - WDW, Oct 04 RPR/Pop/POFQ July 03 ASMo - WDW, Oct 02 Newport Bay DLRP, Aug 01 ASMo-WDW Sep 00 ASMo- WDW, Jun 97 Newport Bay DLRP, Jul 90 offsite WDW
pigby is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: