Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2009, 05:54 PM   #31
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo

Glad to hear hubby is going to join you. You make such a cute family. In fact so cute that DD5 wants a sister so they can dress up together like your DDs

As for flying SW, we have been using them for 11 yrs and as long as you get your boarding pass right at the 24hr mark you should be fine in regards to seating. They are really a great airline.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:49 PM   #32
pmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess&her4princes View Post
WOW, that hotel seems very attentive, that's great and one less thing to worry about, right? I thought it was funny that they offer ear plugs are the front desk, though!!

I love that you can walk to the park from your hotel, how cool is that? Do they offer ME at Disneyland so you don't need to worry about transportation at all? And how cool that you will see Space Mountain renovated, I'm jealous, doesn't seem like I'll see that at MK this upcoming trip we have planned at DW, they will still be renovating. I'll be intersted to hear about it though, how do they renovate a rollar coaster??

Great updates!!
I know, the ear plugs struck me as funny too. Nope, no Magical Express at Disneyland. However, since we're taking a train in from San Diego we won't need one. It is only 2 1/2 miles from the train station to hotel so taxi should be just fine. We will have to shuttle to Orange County Airport to leave if we don't have a rental car. Yes, we're definitely looking forward to Space Mountain. Height restrictions are lower too so youngest DD will be able to ride this one too. Do you know when Space Mountain in MK will be done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
Everything I hear about Hojo's is good. One thing nice about Disneyland is there are so many off property place that are within walking distance.
That is a definite perk for sure!! The girls should love that HoJo has Castaway Cove water playground.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miprender View Post
Glad to hear hubby is going to join you. You make such a cute family. In fact so cute that DD5 wants a sister so they can dress up together like your DDs

As for flying SW, we have been using them for 11 yrs and as long as you get your boarding pass right at the 24hr mark you should be fine in regards to seating. They are really a great airline.
Thanks! So, SW is something I've been needed to study up on a bit more. I know I've heard and read you can get your boarding pass online 24 hours beforehand. So, are your seating times dependent on how soon you get your boarding pass online? And, how do you usually do that for your return flight? Can the hotels do that for you or do we need to bring a laptop?
pmama is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2009, 05:11 AM   #33
princess&her4princes
DIS Veteran

All the sites seem to say that Space Mountain won't reopen until LATE '09, which affects the people mover, too. Hoping maybe we'll luck out for September but doesn't seem so right now.....
princess&her4princes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:55 PM   #34
pmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
All the sites seem to say that Space Mountain won't reopen until LATE '09, which affects the people mover, too. Hoping maybe we'll luck out for September but doesn't seem so right now.....

Well, it would be great if it reopened by our December visit. Then I can compare.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:57 PM   #35
pmama
DIS Veteran

Universal For Sure

After writing this update I thought this picture fits here perfect. I am visual and usually lose interest on thread w/o pictures. In this update I mention the Unofficial Guide a lot. It was a life saver for our first ever WDW trip and when we returned the following year I bought the updated book. This year I bought the Disneyland version and Love It!! Anyway this picture is funny and it is not the only one from our first WDW trip where I am carrying the book everywhere. It was my bible. Our trip last September I left it in the hotel as I felt a little more confident.

Well, we finally decided that the girls and I would be joining DH and Papa at Universal on our last day. The tickets will be included in our S. CA Pass but I was considering not using them for the girls as I have heard there will not be much for them to do. However, DH is really interested in seeing Universal and since we will have the tickets I looked into it. Now, I am actually looking forward to it. I think as long as I remember it is NOT Disney and go in with a good realistic plan we will ALL have fun. Granita has a very good friend from CA who will be spending the day with her so Granita will not join us at Universal.

Can I just say I LOVE YOUTUBE! I've just recently starting looking up things on youtube and there really is a video of practically anything you are wondering about. I found these two great videos of fun things the girls will definitely enjoy.

Curious George Splash Zone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckVw8ZVhAxQ

OMGoodness! I couldn't believe all the people in this video getting drenched with all there clothes on. I've already planned to bring swimsuits for the girls but I'm wondering if they will be the only ones. I read in the Unofficial Guide, "It is a two-story affair where the idea is to come as close as possible to drowning on dry land while fully clothed. There are geysers, water cannons, a rocket blasting water, and the periodic dumping of two 500 gallon water buckets (that's enough water to fill a 20 by 30 foot swimming pool)." I'm glad I saw this because I now realize I may need to bring a change of clothes and carefully think my wardrobe (no white).

There is also a jungle-themed, two-story enclosure containing 25,000 foam balls. Finally, there's a playground for age 6 and under.

I also saw video of the Universal Studios Character Disco Trolley!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPCGatNcdN8

Faith especially will be thrilled if she gets to meet Dora and Diego!

With the help of the Unofficial guide I think I actually have my itinerary for Universal done:
__________________________________________________ _____________

arrive early
1. All enjoy Simpson's Ride
2. Get child swap cards for Revenge of the Mummy and Jurassic Park. (DD8 could ride Jurassic Park but unless something changes I predict her verdict to be NO WAY)

Papa and DH ride while I take the girls to get "as close as possible to drowning on dry land". My girls are little fishes so they will love this. Then Papa and I will trade while DH and I go experience both rides. (DH is so thrilled about this perk.). . . . Although we may just keep going to get in more attractions early then DH and I will come back once we've gotten all the headliners in.

edit, I've learned more about child swap at Universal. Apparently the children not riding still have to stand in line in and before boarding there will be a room w/ AC for the child and adult party to wait in. This is different than Disney but many people say they prefer Universal's method so we'll see. We'll have to all stand in line for these rides and go to the splash area later.

3. All enjoy Shrek 4-D (unless girls want more time in the play zone in which case skip to 4 and come back to 3.

4. DH and FIL see terminator 2: 3-D (I need to learn more about this. The book says there are no blood and guts like in the real movies but still very intense for some kiddos. However, it gets 5 stars and says, "our favorite California attraction".) If I think the girls can handle it we may all do it together. They both know to take their glasses off if they get scared. Just watched on youtube. Definitely a no go for the girls. I can: take girls to Animal Actors show, play area, splash area, other show, or to watch Shrek again.

5. All enjoy Waterworld

6. All enjoy Studio Tour "The great thing about the Studio Tour is that you essentially experience four or five major attractions with only one wait." 42 minutes (go potty before)

7. Check out live performances or revisit favorites.
(Also need to look into lunch options.) We'd like to be back to DL in time to watch the fireworks from our balcony. (DH and Papa paid for the deluxe Disney-view room and are requesting the highest floor possible.)

I never would have thought there was so much we'd be able to do with the girls. I am a little nervous about it being the Sat. before Memorial day. It will be important for us to get there early. We've already decided against upgrading to the front of the line passes. It would be almost $200 for the 6 of us. But anyway, one day planned for the most part!

Last edited by pmama; 03-30-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:27 PM   #36
pmama
DIS Veteran

New Purchases

Purchased some great things at disneyoutlet today!!

Pop up hamper! How handy for the hotel room.
http://disneyshopping.go.com/disney/...omSearch=10003

Mickey Mouse soft sided rolling cooler! (Mainly purchased for cruise to carry drinks on board. But will probably take with us to CA as our hotel in San Diego will not have a fridge.)

Hooded fleece! Ariel for DD4 and Tinkerbell for DD8. (I'm thinking these will be great for our December trip as it might be chilly in the evenings.)

Princess Pajamas for each girl!

Tinkerbell personalized link bracelet! For a great end of year gift for DD8's teacher who loves Tinkerbell. (Hopefully will ease any tension over DD leaving school one week before end of school year.)
Old 03-01-2009, 12:45 PM   #37
princess&her4princes
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmama View Post
Purchased some great things at disneyoutlet today!!

Pop up hamper! How handy for the hotel room.

Mickey Mouse soft sided rolling cooler! (Mainly purchased for cruise to carry drinks on board. But will probably take with us to CA as our hotel in San Diego will not have a fridge.)

Hooded fleece! Ariel for DD4 and Tinkerbell for DD8. (I'm thinking these will be great for our December trip as it might be chilly in the evenings.)

Princess Pajamas for each girl!

Tinkerbell personalized link bracelet! For a great end of year gift for DD8's teacher who loves Tinkerbell. (Hopefully will ease any tension over DD leaving school one week before end of school year.)
Love the adorbale hooded fleeces for the girls..they are so cute!! Those will be PERFECT for your December trip for sure!! The Tink watch/bracelet is such a nice thoughtful gift for your DD's teacher, very nice and something practical, too!! Love it!

The park stuff looks like fun! You're going in with the right attitude, even though it's not Disney, it will be fun!!

I've never used the Unofficial guide....have you used other books at all? I SWEAR by my Passporter, just wondered how they compare? And I just bought the Birmbaums guide, and it's good but it's not my Passporter!!

Hope you're having a great weekend!!!!
princess&her4princes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:24 PM   #38
OneTreeHillAddict
CNC Photography of Myrtle Beach, SC

Your plans sound great! I think you guys will have fun at Universal. We've only been to the one in Orlando but my kids loved it! I finally started packing today. I'm about half way done. Ya know how we talked about free dining in December? Do you have the Disney Visa? That's how we were chosen. I bet they'll offer a lot of deals this year.

All the new stuff you bought is so cute. I love that Hamper!
OneTreeHillAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:49 PM   #39
pmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Love the adorbale hooded fleeces for the girls..they are so cute!! Those will be PERFECT for your December trip for sure!! The Tink watch/bracelet is such a nice thoughtful gift for your DD's teacher, very nice and something practical, too!! Love it!

The park stuff looks like fun! You're going in with the right attitude, even though it's not Disney, it will be fun!!

I've never used the Unofficial guide....have you used other books at all? I SWEAR by my Passporter, just wondered how they compare? And I just bought the Birmbaums guide, and it's good but it's not my Passporter!!

Hope you're having a great weekend!!!!
No, I have just used unofficial guide. I have flipped through the passporter but at the time wasn't impressed enough to read it. The unofficial guide worked so well for me the first time that it became my favorite. Probably the same for you except for passporter. I do plan to purchase the new 2009 Disney cruise passporter when it comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTreeHillAddict View Post
Your plans sound great! I think you guys will have fun at Universal. We've only been to the one in Orlando but my kids loved it! I finally started packing today. I'm about half way done. Ya know how we talked about free dining in December? Do you have the Disney Visa? That's how we were chosen. I bet they'll offer a lot of deals this year.

All the new stuff you bought is so cute. I love that Hamper!
I'm glad to know your kiddos enjoyed Universal. Yes, I have the Disney Visa!! In fact I got 10% off my purchases posted above because I used my Disney Visa.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:36 PM   #40
tmkinney
DIS Veteran

OMG you are going to Disneyland and WDW/Cruise all this year! I am SUPER jealous!!! Can't wait to read another TR from you though! You will LOVE flying with Southwest! Just make sure to check in 24 hours before your flight and you will get priority seating. I was really worried about that last time but it worked like a charm for us (7 people). Also they call for families with small children to line up between A and B group so it shouldn't be a problem if you can't check in for your return flight (I think it is 5 years and under).

Love all your past pics!

tmkinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:19 PM   #41
pmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmkinney View Post
OMG you are going to Disneyland and WDW/Cruise all this year! I am SUPER jealous!!! Can't wait to read another TR from you though! You will LOVE flying with Southwest! Just make sure to check in 24 hours before your flight and you will get priority seating. I was really worried about that last time but it worked like a charm for us (7 people). Also they call for families with small children to line up between A and B group so it shouldn't be a problem if you can't check in for your return flight (I think it is 5 years and under).

Love all your past pics!

I'm SO glad you found me here! How are you doing? Well you know I needed a new excuse to spend endless hours researching and trip planning so I chose DLR! I didn't realize how little I knew of it before now. With the flights being about half that to fly to Orlando for us, as well as the inexpensive accomodations it would be a huge waste for us not to try it out. Looking forward to seeing San Diego and the beach as well.

Glad to hear Southwest has been good to you. Right now they seem too good to be true.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:04 PM   #42
prettyprincessbelle
I'm just excited for the BBQ! Yum YUM!
Pots and pans? Seriously?!

Your DDs are SOOO cute!! And I love the fleeces you bought them! I wish that fit me, because I would totally wear it. I love things with hoods like that!

I'm in for your TR! Woo!
Old 03-02-2009, 11:22 PM   #43
pmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyprincessbelle View Post
Your DDs are SOOO cute!! And I love the fleeces you bought them! I wish that fit me, because I would totally wear it. I love things with hoods like that!

I'm in for your TR! Woo!
Haha, I know they really should make some of those outfits adult size huh? I enjoyed reading your TR. I'm still learning! Thanks for joining me.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:49 PM   #44
pmama
DIS Veteran

Updates

Well I came to learn the the Princess Fantasy Faire is no more. The princesses are still available for meet and greet but there is no longer dancing and storytime with the princesses. I was really looking forward to this. When I thought this was still there I had pretty much decided we would not do the princess character dinner at Ariel's Grotto but now I'm thinking we may need to.

I'm also a little stressed about school attendance now. Our DLR trip is scheduled for the last week of school. We all know no learning goes on the last week of school. Well when DD8 got her 2nd trimester report card this week it said she was absent 2 days of school second trimester. I have been very diligent to be sure she gets to school because we already missed a week in September. I thought she had no absences 2nd trimester. When I called the school they said she was truent for 2 days which = absent. If you are 10 minutes late they call it truent. She was late one day after we had been out late to attend A Christmas Carol in the Denver theater. (educational) I had no idea that would equate to an absence. She was still at school all day. Now I'm wondering if we need to reschedule the dates once again to leave the night before DD's 5th birthday and only miss the last 1 1/2 days of school?

DD4 went to a birthday party at Build-A-Bear last night. She was allowed to pick out whichever outfit she wanted. Well you know she ofcourse picked a Disney outfit. She chose Tinkerbell. It's too cute.

Cute stories:

We got our Disney order in! It came in a big box that said DISNEY. I asked my DD4 who can identify most letters but cannot read, "what does that say?" She looked at it for a couple seconds then responded, "DISNEY"! That's right we train um up well in our household.

DD4 loves to watch videos of Disney cruises on youtube. Well she was watching a clip from the farewell song where all the characters line the stairs. At the very top of the stairs was Captain Hook. When she saw him she gasped and said sadly "Oh Captain Hook I can't go there." She then ran all the way up to her room crying. She was so sad. She really wanted to go on the "Disney boat" but would not go if Captain Hook was there. How precious. It took a lot of coaxing but I think I almost have her convinced that Captain Hook is very nice on the Disney boats.

I also thought it was super cute when I asked DH if he wanted us to do the Pixie Hollow meet and greet the day before he arrived. I thought perhaps he'd rather be doing more rides. He informed me he was really looking forward to the Tinkerbell Pixie Hollow and wanted to be there with the girls and I. I'm sure he'd never want his buddies to know that but I think that makes him into even more of a man.

Last edited by pmama; 03-07-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:59 PM   #45
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Be sure that you tell DD that Capt. Hook likes girls, he was very nice to my girls.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: