Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #3481
bellebud
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamin247 View Post
I've been using WEN too! I tried CO method and it did not work at all for me. My hair was greasy and gross. Since using WEN I have the healthiest most gorgeous hair I've ever had in my life. I also dyed my hair BRIGHT red 4 weeks ago and have almost no fading. It's crazy!
exactly!!!
Old 11-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #3482
jessrose18
ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE!!

just bought the too faced return of sexy eyeshadow pallette!!! lov it! great colors at ulta or sephora check it out
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #3483
klacey1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3jewels View Post
I'm usually just an occassional lurker on this thread, but I'm hoping you ladies can assist me with your expertise on a couple of make-up related matters.

My daughter is turning 12 soon and is starting to dabble in make-up other than a little bit of lip gloss and mascara. I was thinking about taking her somewhere for her birthday where they will teach her how to apply make-up properly (and I can buy a few items for her to use daily). Would Sephora do this kind of thing and are they a good place to go or is there somewhere better?

Also, it has recently come to my attention that my eyebrows need some work. I've never done anything to them, other than some occassional plucking of hairs that are obviously not near the natural brow line. Does anyone know of a good on-line tutorial or place to go for brow help? My salon does waxing, but I think I need more shaping assistance. I've seen several girls that wax and end up with really small brows that look weird. Are there products I should be using to maitain a good brow shape?

Thanks for helping me out with your suggestions!
Sephora is definitely the place-- the girls are SO helpful and will definitely listen to the type of "look" you and your daughter want.

If you have a Benefit Brow Bar (usually in department stores with a Benefit counter), they will shape your brows and keep the length/thickness you want. (I go to them and also hate the super short/thin brow look.) It's very reasonably priced.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #3484
100AcreWood
DIS Veteran

I'm looking for a recommendation on face moisturizer. I was using Dermalogica but I often switch around when the bottle is done. My dermatologist is a huge fan of Cereve PM. It's okay. Great price, not my favorite.

What do you love? I have a shiny T-zone but otherwise dry in the winter.
2012 Windsor Hills 2011 Buena Vista Suites
2010 Doubletree DTD, then CSR
2008 Doubletree DTD 2006 Doubletree DTD
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2005 Doubletree DTD 2005 Swan 2001 Dolphin
2000 All Star Movies 1999 Carribean Beach
Old 11-14-2012, 02:59 PM   #3485
jessrose18
ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE!!

i love the olay regenerist moisturizer....and it smells great
Old 11-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #3486
disneydreamin247
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
Sephora is definitely the place-- the girls are SO helpful and will definitely listen to the type of "look" you and your daughter want.

If you have a Benefit Brow Bar (usually in department stores with a Benefit counter), they will shape your brows and keep the length/thickness you want. (I go to them and also hate the super short/thin brow look.) It's very reasonably priced.
I 100% DISAGREE. The SA's in Sephora have minimal training in cosmetics. They give so much misinformation all the time, and I have never been matched to a foundation that worked for me at ANY Sephora I've ever been to. The lighting in those stores is horrible. You seriously don't need any knowledge of makeup to work there.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #3487
diznee25
"Curse you perry the platypus!"

Quote:
I 100% DISAGREE. The SA's in Sephora have minimal training in cosmetics. They give so much misinformation all the time, and I have never been matched to a foundation that worked for me at ANY Sephora I've ever been to. The lighting in those stores is horrible. You seriously don't need any knowledge of makeup to work there.
To add onto the above comment: I went into Sephora one time and had a Sales Associate help me with eyeshadow. She wanted to put it on my eyes for me. I let her, and when she was done I was completely shocked....I looked like someone who should be working the streets!! I had to walk through the mall like that. When I got home my DH was laughing so hard, he had tears streaming down his face.

I've always had better luck with Clinique. That's where my step-mom took me when I was first starting to wear make-up.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #3488
disneydreamin247
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't go to MAC either. If you have a Trish Mcevoy counter near you I would take her there because they do one half of your face and have you do the other half to make sure you can do it.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #3489
Twingle
DIS Veteran

Quote:

See if one of your local upscale spas/salons is having a "teen" workshop. There are several near my home that do a few hour class talking about natural makeup, how to apply, etc. Most charge a minimal fee, like $10, and will compare salon products with drugstore brands.

As for the Benefit Brow Bar - LOVE MINE! And, I had mine done for free on my birthday :D

Avatar compliments of Mr. DiRTy BuNNy, who created it when I informed him that I didn't have an avatar because I couldn't find one that was "me".
Old 11-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #3490
klacey1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by diznee25 View Post
To add onto the above comment: I went into Sephora one time and had a Sales Associate help me with eyeshadow. She wanted to put it on my eyes for me. I let her, and when she was done I was completely shocked....I looked like someone who should be working the streets!! I had to walk through the mall like that. When I got home my DH was laughing so hard, he had tears streaming down his face.

I've always had better luck with Clinique. That's where my step-mom took me when I was first starting to wear make-up.
I didn't say they were expert make-up artists, just that they were helpful. The girls at the stores I go to are great at recommending products and always listen. When you go to one make-up counter, you limit yourself to one brand, which I don't think is the best idea for someone starting out with make-up.

I've had much worse service/make-up jobs done-- especially MAC!
Old 11-14-2012, 08:59 PM   #3491
disneydreamin247
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I didn't say they were expert make-up artists, just that they were helpful. The girls at the stores I go to are great at recommending products and always listen. When you go to one make-up counter, you limit yourself to one brand, which I don't think is the best idea for someone starting out with make-up.

I've had much worse service/make-up jobs done-- especially MAC!
I've had Sephora SAs tell me to wear a darker shade of foundation to look tan, to just put bronzer on to make a foundation that was too light work for me, not to use argan oil on my skin because it's bad for you, that you don't need sunscreen if your foundation has it, and that mineral makeup can't cause you to break out. These are just some of them gems I've gotten there, and not only at the store near me. I've shopped at many Sephora stores in Times Square, all over Jersey, Las Vegas, Florida, etc. I'm sure there are some knowledgable SAs, but I wouldn't take a young girl there to learn anything.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #3492
diznee25
"Curse you perry the platypus!"

I'll go on Sephora's Facebook page every now and then. Every time I read people's comments, there's always a few in the mix about the poor customer service they received at their local Sephora store.

Don't get me wrong, Sephora is my favorite makeup destination. But my best shopping experiences were when I shopped privately and didn't encounter the sales associates.

A few years ago at Christmastime, my DH wanted to surprise me with some stocking stuffers. So I created a wish list on Sephora's website, printed it out, and my DH took it with him to the store. He said the associates who weren't busy, walked away and didn't even speak to him. DH ended up leaving without buying anything.

Anyway.... My main point for sharing the eyeshadow story was to warn the poster who wanted to take her daughter somewhere for makeup application. I came out looking like a cross between a clown & street worker....I would NOT want my daughter looking like that!

But not all Sephora locations are created equal. So maybe there are some Sephora SA who apply makeup better. Guess it's a 'do at your own risk' type of thing!

diznee25

Old 11-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #3493
luvmy3jewels
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the advice regarding where to take my dd. You have definitely given me something to think about, and I think I may go the salon route vs. Sephora (although Clinique is also a definite option as well).

I also appreciate the recommendation for the Benefit Brow Bar. That sounds exactly what I am looking for!!

Edited to add: Just looked up the closest Benefit Brow Bar and it is in Sephora.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #3494
100AcreWood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrose18 View Post
i love the olay regenerist moisturizer....and it smells great
Can you point me in the right direction? Is is this: http://www.amazon.com/Olay-Regeneris.../dp/B0012J30LY ?

There are so many different products when I googled olay regenerist moisturizer. I always associate olay with old ladies but I have heard great things about this line.
2012 Windsor Hills 2011 Buena Vista Suites
2010 Doubletree DTD, then CSR
2008 Doubletree DTD 2006 Doubletree DTD
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2005 Doubletree DTD 2005 Swan 2001 Dolphin
2000 All Star Movies 1999 Carribean Beach
Old 11-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #3495
klacey1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by diznee25 View Post
But not all Sephora locations are created equal. So maybe there are some Sephora SA who apply makeup better. Guess it's a 'do at your own risk' type of thing!
I guess so! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of the Sephoras I regularly shop at for young girls (SoHo, several in CT/NY). It stinks that there's so much variation!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: