Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 11:55 AM   #136
CathrynRose
R.I.P. Possibly Un-PC Tag, R.I.P.
Back away from the cheesecake, lady!!!
I had ponytails so tight, I couldn’t move my head
I can't stop sniffing me

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec5girl View Post
Yay, I'm glad you joined us. I was enjoying your eyelashes thread yesterday until people started giving you emotional advice! I think you are beautiful and I hope you will give us your beauty tips! No time limits for application here!
Xena makes me laugh - emotional advice. That about sums it up.

In addition to make up - which I know, is horrifyingly eye opening, when it comes to showing my insecurities, I shower too... sometimes I use all the hot water cuz I like it so much. Could I be on the verge of suicide? Perhaps I am Schizophrenic? Hmmm? Hmmm?

Old 02-20-2009, 12:03 PM   #137
bengalbelle
Geaux Tigers!
Will post anywhere to avoid DIS withdrawl
Does not possess DDA Superpowers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella the Ball 360 View Post
I will try the Too Faced b/c the Urban Decay did not even last 30 days. Thanks CR.
I was afraid of that. I have a hard time getting much product on the applicator. I just bought it so I may return it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingMUA View Post
For those who are asking about primer for eyeshadow... the key to using any kind of primer is to not use too much, otherwise, the shadow will end up doing exactly what you're trying to prevent... creasing.

One of the best ways to apply is to take a fluffy eyeshadow brush (MAC brush #224 is a good one) and take a tiny bit of MAC paint (if that's your primer of choice) on the back of your hand, and work it into the brush. You only need a tiny, tiny bit... like smaller than a pea. Then use the "windshield wiper" motion across your lids to apply. It will apply a very thin, even, sheer layer. Then apply your shadow(s) as normal. If your pressed for time, you can also use your finger to apply. Just touch your finger to the primer to make just a dot on your finger, and rub on your lid. Make sure when applying you cover the entire lid from inner corner to outer corner and up to just above the crease (don't go all the way to the brow bone).

And when using MAC Paints as primer, don't be afraid to experiment. For example, use Canton Candy paint when applying pink shades of shadow, it will make the colors really pop.
I have small eyes and I use my finger to apply it, but I just barely squeeze and touch my finger to the end of the tube and it's usually enough. It really goes a long way.

For those of you using MAC or who plan to, do you know about Back to MAC? If you return (recycle) 6 empty primary packaging containers (like lipstick tubes, compacts, etc...not the boxes) you'll get a free lipstick.
http://www.maccosmetics.com/giving_b...packaging.tmpl
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2009, 12:04 PM   #138
momrek06
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OPShell Smuggler!
BEE FRAGMENTS??? I do NOT eat bees!!

Wait...what...emotional advice on an eyelash thread??

Anyway..wanted to post this; if you have dry skin as I do out here in SoCal...I put this on every night after I shower on my legs and arms!!! Absolutely so nice and not the least bit oily or messy.

Body Moisturizer!!!

Neutrogena Body Oil
Lightweight
Absorbs quickly
Available in Original and Fragrance-free

KAR

Old 02-20-2009, 12:05 PM   #139
SingingMUA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalbelle View Post
For those of you using MAC or who plan to, do you know about Back to MAC? If you return (recycle) 6 empty primary packaging containers (like lipstick tubes, compacts, etc...not the boxes) you'll get a free lipstick.
Actually, if you return to a MAC counter, you can only get a lipstick. However, if you return them to a MAC store, you can pick a lipstick, lipgloss, or eyeshadow. It excludes Viva Glam products, though, since all monies from those products go to AIDS Research.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:24 PM   #140
can84
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Actually, if you return to a MAC counter, you can only get a lipstick. However, if you return them to a MAC store, you can pick a lipstick, lipgloss, or eyeshadow. It excludes Viva Glam products, though, since all monies from those products go to AIDS Research.
This may sound like a dumb question, but can you buy the MAC at one place and bring the empty back to a MAC store? So, if I buy at Bloomingdale's can I still bring it back to a MAC store? Thanks

Orlando ~ Australia ~ Ireland ~ Britain ~ France ~ Belgium ~ Scotland ~ Austria ~ Portugal ~ Switzerland ~ Italy
Old 02-20-2009, 12:25 PM   #141
bengalbelle
Geaux Tigers!
Will post anywhere to avoid DIS withdrawl
Does not possess DDA Superpowers!

Quote:
Someone mentioned that awhile back and I called our MAC store and they said just lipstick. Does it vary?

It doesn't bother me, I love MAC lipstick so that's what I want, but I was curious.

I actually have my containers ready I just keep forgetting to bring them when I go to the mall. I'll ask again in person.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:41 PM   #142
whogirl'smom
Any leftover grumpiness can be taken care of by a little wine
Like a box of Cheez-its, I couldn't put it down

Quote:
Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
whogirl'smom, I posted this reply earlier for another DISer!! Revitalume amazing. She was looking for something for dark circles and I was looking for something for puffy eyes!! Well this does BOTH!!! Read through the link!! I love it. I have been using it since October. I am VERY happy with the results. FINALLY. I also was using the Garnier Nutritioniste Skin Renew Anti-Puff eye roller....naaa not happy with that at all.
Thanks! I'll go back and look at it again. I clicked on it last night when you first posted, but the home page touted relieving dark circles which I don't have, so I didn't read any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathrynRose View Post
I really really really like Everyday Minerals in Matte and Intense. I mix one of those with the semi-matte, and it's wonderful. Have you tried Mineral makeup?

The other thing I REALLY like about Mineral makeup - is when you take pictures, the flash doesnt reflect off your face - and make you look like a ghost. Anyone else notice that?
I tried Avon's mineral makeup and didn't like the look at all. How can a mineral look heavier than a liquid??? I knew it wasn't supposed to look like that so I just haven't tried another brand. I threw out three liquid foundtions that I've accumulated over the past months looking for the magic potion!

Quote:
TO depuff eyes use Patricia Wexler available at Bath and Body and on line also at Sephora I think. If you go to B and B ask them for a sample or just buy it try it and if you do not like it bring it back they will take it back no questions asked.
That I can find! I will go to B and B this weekend and see if they have any samples. Thank you!

Old 02-20-2009, 12:45 PM   #143
CathrynRose
R.I.P. Possibly Un-PC Tag, R.I.P.
Back away from the cheesecake, lady!!!
I had ponytails so tight, I couldn’t move my head
I can't stop sniffing me

Quote:

Yes - I have 2 'sets of them' enough to get 2 items. I just always forget it when I go to the mall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
Wait...what...emotional advice on an eyelash thread??

Anyway..wanted to post this; if you have dry skin as I do out here in SoCal...I put this on every night after I shower on my legs and arms!!! Absolutely so nice and not the least bit oily or messy.

Body Moisturizer!!!

Neutrogena Body Oil
Lightweight
Absorbs quickly
Available in Original and Fragrance-free
I keep meaning to pick up that stuff. I love that body oil.

And yes - emotional advice on a mascara thread, cuz you know the only reason we wear any sort of makeup is to hide our emotional flaws. The ones, deep, deep down in us.

Lipgloss fills a need. Like alcoholics self medicate, so do we....with eye shadow primer. It's sad.

Quote:
Someone mentioned that awhile back and I called our MAC store and they said just lipstick. Does it vary?

It doesn't bother me, I love MAC lipstick so that's what I want, but I was curious.

I actually have my containers ready I just keep forgetting to bring them when I go to the mall. I'll ask again in person
Copy Catter.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:57 PM   #144
momrek06
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OPShell Smuggler!
BEE FRAGMENTS??? I do NOT eat bees!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathrynRose View Post
And yes - emotional advice on a mascara thread, cuz you know the only reason we wear any sort of makeup is to hide our emotional flaws. The ones, deep, deep down in us.

Lipgloss fills a need. Like alcoholics self medicate, so do we....with eye shadow primer. It's sad.

Oh BOTHER.........

KAR

Old 02-20-2009, 01:11 PM   #145
shirleyb
I'm a lot funnier in real life.

Quote:
I will try the Too Faced b/c the Urban Decay did not even last 30 days. Thanks CR.
That's the problem I had with Urban Decay also. You figure at $16 a tube for a month, that 50 cents a day for eyeshadow primer!

Unfortunately, no Sephora even remotely close to me, although there is an Ulta about 30 minutes away, I just never get there.

It's not the rain that matters, it's how you dance in it.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:20 PM   #146
JVL1018
Forever Mickey's daughter
I hate stickers on fruit, it skeeves me.
If someone doesn't like it, tough noogies
"Nakey Boy to the rescue!!!"

Oh oh, I have a question-I was just thinking about this this morning.
I use a Clinique hydrating foundation that I really like because it is the only one I have found that is good for my dry skin-but I am always looking for more and better.
Are there any other great hydrating foundations out there?

Also, in the summer I tend not to wear any foundation at all becaus I get some color(not a lot most of the time, I do use my SPF moisturizer) and my foundation doesn't match anymore..but my color fluctuates so just buying one more foundation wouldn't really work-what do you all do when you are a bit more golden in the summertime? I would like to even out my skin tone..

Lipgloss..I have braces now(I am 37) and was supposed to get them off July 2008, yet here I sit with them still on-so I don;t wear anything that attracts undue attention to my mouth-the only lipgloss I've worn for the last 2 years has been Neutrogena's Dreamy, because it's not bright-and I do like it, but I am so ready for something new! Hopefully by this summer..

Old 02-20-2009, 01:20 PM   #147
SingingMUA
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I actually have my containers ready I just keep forgetting to bring them when I go to the mall. I'll ask again in person.

It should still be eyeshadow, gloss, or lipstick. From what I've read here:
http://www.specktra.net/forum/f190/m...mac-b2m-25420/
it seems like other people have been experiencing the same difficulty with getting other MAC MA's to give them anything other than a lipstick.

When I worked for MAC, I worked at a counter at Macy's, and not a store, so we could only do lipsticks anyway. That's why I'm not as familiar with how the MAC stores operate. However, I do remember being told a couple years ago during Update, when the new policy was first announced, that in order to take advantage of the new policy at a MAC store, you had to register with the store and be in "the system" (name, address, etc, etc). If you didn't take the time to do all of that at the MAC store, then you could only trade your empties for a lipstick.

Again, since I worked at a counter and not a store, the policy didn't really affect me. And even now since I no longer work for the company, I have tons of empties that I could take in, I just haven't gotten around to it.

So, that is how the policy is SUPPOSED to work. But from reading the above thread, it doesn't always seem to work that way.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:29 PM   #148
LadyGracey
"If we can dream it, we can do it..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimR View Post
Hi all! Mascara Queen joining in to say I tried the mascara Cat recommended - Too Faced Lash Injection and she wasn't lying. This stuff is amazing! Really. It took me a while to get the hang of it because the consistency is very different from what I am used to, so my right eye is a little clumpy. However, the left went on much easier and my lashes now look fabulous!! I thought Fatale was the be-all and end-all of mascaras but I think I like this stuff better! And it is soooo much easier to apply.
I am going right NOW to get some of this!!!!! Yay end of work day!
Old 02-20-2009, 02:05 PM   #149
Miss Park Avenue
Work, work, work...she'll NEVER get her DIS done!
I'll take Ohana's any time!
Shared my sleeping bag with a lizard at FW

Can you believe I JUST found this thread??? And I knew it was coming!! Twenty four hours and it is already over 10 pages?!!! I told you that we needed our own little section of the DIS.

I wish I could read this whole thread but I am headed out to the mall as soon as dd12 gets home from school. I am new to the whole make-up buying thing. I mean, I've always worn make-up but I've taken a more "interest" (or maybe obsession) in it in the last year or so. It all started with an interest in taking care of my nails. After umpteen million trips to get yet another bottle of OPI (I have 20 bottles now), I've moved on to hair and makeup.

Things I like.

Nails:
Base coat: CND's Stickey start. It creates a stickey base for your color to adhere too.
Color: OPI: not because the color is so much better than any other. Just because I like how all the bottles match. I even bought the OPI train case to keep them all safe. Sick, I know.
Top coat: Seche Vite. I just got a free OPI top coat (with the purchase of two bottles of color) and it's not near as good as Seche. I'm going right back to Seche when this is out.

30 minutes spent on my nails and it will last for a week.

Make up:
Lips: Buxom Lips by Bare Escentuals. LOVE it I have Candi right now, and I want more. I just love the way it feels on my lips. I remember CathrynRose saying she didn't like it. But I guess its a personal thing. I put on an hour ago and it's still tingles.

Cheeks: NARS blush. I have the one that starts with "O" I don't know if I can put the name on here without points. I'm new to this item. I would like to get another color for variety. Any suggestions??? I'm headed to Sephora sooon. I also have a highlighter, Softlights by Smashbox in shimmer. Gives me a glowey "lit from within" look without settling in my wrinkles.

Mascara: Jury is still out on this one. Right now I am trying Maybelline's Full N Soft and the L'Oreal double extend. I had Too Faced Lash Injection. I liked it but I'm looking for something cheaper since I have to throw it out after three months. The most important thing is that it cannot smudge my undereye area.

Perfume: Chanel #5 Every time I'm at the mall, I spritz it on.

Hair: I like Redken's Blond Glam and Matrix Amplify XL. I just found Nexxus Color Ensure shampoo with a free tiny bottle of Color Assure conditioner at Rite Aid marked down to four bucks . Just got my hair colored so I am using that right now.

I have to go. I will come back and read the rest of this thread. I'm so glad I found you guys today! If I pick anything up tonight, I will let you know.

(dd15) (me) (dh) (dd12)(Samantha)
Old 02-20-2009, 02:12 PM   #150
Angelhalo
Ok I was like crap I'm breaking rules and I'm gonna get points and I didn't even know I was breaking rules!!! LOL!!!

Quote:
Mascara: Jury is still out on this one. Right now I am trying Maybelline's Full N Soft and the L'Oreal double extend. I had Too Faced Lash Injection. I liked it but I'm looking for something cheaper since I have to throw it out after three months. The most important thing is that it cannot smudge my undereye area.
Ditto.

I can't find a mascara that I "love" to save my life. I just want one that doesn't cost a fortune and actually does what it says. For some reason my lashes are much thinner and shorter on my right eye than my left and I want something that is actually going to make them look fuller and longer.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: