Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2014, 02:31 AM   #1
amystevekai&bump
DIS Veteran

Labor Day weekend strategy?

Hi all

We are staying at HRH for four nights at the end of our Orlando vacation. I deliberately planned it this way, thinking that the later in August we went to UO with the arrival of Diagon Alley the better. Unfortunately being British, it didn't enter my head that you have Labor Day that weekend!

We are arriving during the afternoon on Thursday Aug 28th and fly home in the afternoon of Mon 1st Sept.

Assuming both parks have early entry, I was thinking I'd take advantage of that each morning (alternating which park we go to), and then aim to go back to the pool by early afternoon each day. With the heat/early starts, I don't expect we will be going back to the parks later each day.

Do you think 3 or 4 (might have a lazy pool morning before flying home) half days will be enough in the crowds to see everything? As I have no idea what to expect from the Labor Day crowds!

Our main focus will be diagon alley, all the universal studios rides (boys particularly love the Simpsons, despicable me and MIB and I'm a huge Mummy fan!), Seuss' landing and the water rides (we were there last Christmas and missed the water rides due to the weather and aside from Hogwarts Express, we have had our fill of the original WWOHP)

Many thanks for any advice

NEXT TRIPS: August 2015 - Aulani and Disneyland / Aug 2016 - Portofino/BLT/Jambo

Between Oct 1979 & Dec 2013 - approx 27 trips (including Bay Lake Towers, Polynesian, Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo & Kidani, Beach club villas, Grand Floridian Villas, Contemporary Resort, Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach Resort, Coronado Springs, All Stars Sports, off site hotels (inc Royal Pacific, Portofino, Hard Rock hotel!!) and villas)

PLUS - Disney Cruises x 6, Disney's Vero Beach resort, DLP x 10 visits & Disneyland California x 1 visit - And our 1998 Disney Wedding at the Wedding Pavillion!!

Last edited by amystevekai≎ 03-15-2014 at 01:35 PM.
amystevekai&bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:07 AM   #2
Poly-Anna
Mouseketeer

I think your strategy is a good one

We have stayed at Universal for 3 years now the week of July 4 and that is exactly what we do - go to the parks in the morning before it gets terribly hot then hit the pool all afternoon. If the parks are open late we usually go back in the evening or go play mini golf or do a movie. The lines are totally manageable with the Resort Express Pass: last year Transformers had just opened and there was up to a 2 hour wait for the regular line, whereas we were able to walk on the ride with barely a 10 minute wait and were able to ride it multiple times in a row.

Not sure what to expect with Diagon Alley although we plan on doing the early entry and dealing with the lines then doing the other rides at our leisure.

Hot as it is we enjoy going during the summer months because the crowds don't bother us staying on property and we get to enjoy the pools and water rides.

Have an awesome trip!
Poly-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-15-2014, 01:47 PM   #3
amystevekai&bump
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly-Anna View Post
We have stayed at Universal for 3 years now the week of July 4 and that is exactly what we do - go to the parks in the morning before it gets terribly hot then hit the pool all afternoon. If the parks are open late we usually go back in the evening or go play mini golf or do a movie. The lines are totally manageable with the Resort Express Pass: last year Transformers had just opened and there was up to a 2 hour wait for the regular line, whereas we were able to walk on the ride with barely a 10 minute wait and were able to ride it multiple times in a row.

Not sure what to expect with Diagon Alley although we plan on doing the early entry and dealing with the lines then doing the other rides at our leisure.

Hot as it is we enjoy going during the summer months because the crowds don't bother us staying on property and we get to enjoy the pools and water rides.

Have an awesome trip!
Thanks ever so much for your reply. Sounds as though I can stick to my plan then, so great! Thank you

NEXT TRIPS: August 2015 - Aulani and Disneyland / Aug 2016 - Portofino/BLT/Jambo

Between Oct 1979 & Dec 2013 - approx 27 trips (including Bay Lake Towers, Polynesian, Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo & Kidani, Beach club villas, Grand Floridian Villas, Contemporary Resort, Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach Resort, Coronado Springs, All Stars Sports, off site hotels (inc Royal Pacific, Portofino, Hard Rock hotel!!) and villas)

PLUS - Disney Cruises x 6, Disney's Vero Beach resort, DLP x 10 visits & Disneyland California x 1 visit - And our 1998 Disney Wedding at the Wedding Pavillion!!
Old 03-15-2014, 04:10 PM   #4
Poly-Anna
Mouseketeer

I'll report after our trip in early July

And let people know how bad the lines for Diagon Alley are and how it goes using early entry and Express Pass.
Poly-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:44 PM   #5
amystevekai&bump
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly-Anna View Post
And let people know how bad the lines for Diagon Alley are and how it goes using early entry and Express Pass.
That would be great - thank you

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: