Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2007, 12:12 PM   #1
tripletrouble
Mouseketeer

food allergies onboard

I was wondering how DCL handles food allergies onboard the ship. What type of emergency equipment do they have onboard? How do they handle food allergies when at Castaway Cay? My 7 year old son has a severe peanut allergy. We've been to Disney World twice and were impressed how they handle his allergy, but I'm feeling nervous about DCL. Any help is greatly appreciated.
tripletrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:30 PM   #2
KatRob
Mouseketeer

Make sure to fill out the medical forms and have your son's dr fax them before you leave (at least 2 weeks). Contact DCL direcly to make sure it is listed with your information/requests. And as soon as possible get with the Head Server to make sure he/she is aware of allergies. Tablemates of ours had severe food concerns and the HS was there at every meal going over everything with her about food prep and what could and could not be used.

You can e-mail DCL and ask what ever you need to know. They have always gotten right back to me about questions.
Register to remove

Old 07-24-2007, 01:05 PM   #3
dahuffy
Always Be Nice To The Lunch Lady

Please don't worry youself sick over this dear! DCL deals with food allergies on a daily basis and they've pretty much seen it all. There is a doctor on board, so if anything comes up they should be able to handle it.

You say that you were impressed with the way they handled his allergies at WDW, well,on the ship he'll have the same servers everyday and they will know to ask "Can he have this?" or "This is made with peanuts, so may I suggest you order this." They're super,super people!

Last edited by dahuffy; 07-24-2007 at 01:16 PM.
dahuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:15 PM   #4
rgroves
Mouseketeer

If you were impressed with how WDW handled his allergy, then expect the same on DCL.

But liek the previous poster said...fax the medical form to DCL 2 weeks prior, and make sure the Head server knows at the first meal to make sure he knows. As far as CC, just ask the servers at Cookies BBQ because I think they do serve a peanut butter cookies as well as other things and they can point you towards the safe foods for him.
rgroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:22 PM   #5
FatCat
DIS Veteran

We have an allergy as well. If you drop your son off at any kids club on boat or castaway cay.

Give an epi pen to the counselor. They will go in a backpack that travels with the group wherever they go. When you pick you son up take the epi-pen back. Basically it comes and goes with your kid.

We bring 3 pens on board. One for each adult and one to check in.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:53 PM   #6
atinkerbellmom
DIS Veteran

Actually DCL is better than WDW, in my opinion. It depends too on how bad your allergy is. They will let him order from the adult menu if need be. I think it is a bigger problem with the younger kids whom only eat the "kids food." Now with peanut, is the reaction severe enough that it is a contact allergy as well? I too suggest faxing in your medical form as soon as possible. As soon as I board, I find out my rotation and find my Head Dining room server and plan my menu for that night. Grant it, my DD is anaphalactic to eggs and has seizzures with each exsposure. Needeless to say, we do not allow her to eat in the kids club, because she can not have any of the food off the kids menu. No pizza, no chicken nuggets, no burgers. So we do plan our menu and do not allow her to eat there. If you have a whole peanut and not a peanut base or contact allergy, you will be super. The food on CC is basically Barbecue/ Grill out food.
We did have problems last two cruises with them bringing her dinner later than the rest of the table (40 minutes later once) and I just lost it. We were done eatting, it was 9:40 PM and my baby had not gotton anything to eat. How do you explain to a 3 year old, she can not eat, but watch the other 7 people at your table eat? After that, we learned to order her meal the night before. By the way, the kids menu stays the same, if that helps to know. I also know they DO NOT cook in peanut oil, we ask because we stay away from whole peanut as well.
So my basic advice is your medical form to be in and get to look at your menu prior to dinner. This is a little perk we get for having "Special Kids", in my eye. It will be fine, good luck.

Thanks, Cheri & Johnna. Thanks Tiny Tink & LtWDWdream. & Thanks Rani
atinkerbellmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:46 PM   #7
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Remember the ship and it's entire medical facility are right there at Castaway Cay.
No food allergies in our household, but they asked us soooo many times if we had any it literally got to be annoying. So Disney is very cautious about food allergies on the ships.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:26 AM   #8
Selket
Yes I AM being whiney about not getting a postcard!
I will measure, nest, lift and squeeze

I've asked before but not seen it answered - are the counselors who keep the epi-pen in the kids clubs trained to use it themselves on a child with a reaction or do they call in the medical staff to administer the epi-pen?
Universal: HRH, 2010
Selket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:49 AM   #9
FatCat
DIS Veteran

I do not have a definitive answer either.
I would like to know as well.

I am not stressing that much over it because our DD will be eating all meals with us as we like to do the Family thing.

So as long as the kids are not Kissing in the club I should not have an issue.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:13 AM   #10
atinkerbellmom
DIS Veteran

Grant it, we have been blessed and never had the situation while in travel; but I was told by a Disney rep. that the staff are not allowed to administer epi pens. They keep them with the child and allow the child to self administer or call and have someone who is "Qualified" to do it. I guess we do not worry so much, because my DD eats all meals with us and we keep her out of the club when they are baking cookies. The kids meal times are on the navigator and we just plan to pick her up 10 - 15 minutes prior to meals and it works great. I have to say, one time we did not make it until they were actually in transition and they actually allowed us to check her out walking down the hall, because they did not want to take the chance and take her to lunch. (ooopppps!!! After that time we always respected the transition time rule).
I am sure though, if an allergic reaction were to occur, they would administer the epi-pen. I just think for legal reasons they can not say that they will.
Someone else mentioned the Med Crew on board, I do hope you realize they are independent of Disney and that there are very limited resources on the ship. The best thing to do for our kids is smart prevention.

Last edited by atinkerbellmom; 09-14-2007 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:40 AM   #11
Selket
Yes I AM being whiney about not getting a postcard!
I will measure, nest, lift and squeeze

I don't plan to leave DS there during meals either (he is also a type 1 diabetic so no way could they deal with that!). But it does surprise me that they'd have to call someone to give an epi if a child was in a rapidly developing situation and couldn't breathe. I wonder what the response time of the medical staff would be then?

I guess I'll have to do more questioning when we get there.

Anyone else who left their kids with epi-pens know the answer? My child is 5 so he couldn't self-administer.
Universal: HRH, 2010
Selket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:53 AM   #12
atinkerbellmom
DIS Veteran

Selket- Oh, I totally agree. Not to mention, it would freak the kids out to see my daughter have a seziure, turn blue, foam at the mouth and not regain her airway for a long time after. I only can tell you what I was told, sorry. This is what I was told by two different reps on two different occassions. I really do not know and as I told you, "I can not see them not doing anything." I have seen the question posted before, but have not responded waiting for someone to say, "no, they did it for us." I hear everyone say they send the pen, but no one actually saying the CMs had to use it. This is why we just have to practice prevention I guess. Now my DD is 5 also and knows how to administer her own pen. She learned at four. I sent her to an allergy camp and they teach them there. Grant it, I work in the medical field, so I wanted to do that. I feel they send the IDDKids to camp at 5, why not the allergy kids. I even belong to the DISability thread on this site and have never had anyone say they had to have a CM use it. I can not say "I am waiting", because I do not want it to happen to any of our children. Sorry........... I can not be of more help. I only repeated what I was told. From one allergy parent to another, I understand your concern.

Last edited by atinkerbellmom; 09-14-2007 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:32 PM   #13
happymommy
DIS Veteran

This administering of the epi-pen concerns me as well. My DS is 10 (will be 11 when we cruise) and he couldn't self administer. Plus, while suffering from a reaction, many, if not most, adults cannot do this either. That is why you need someone able to do so with you. I am going to check this out before our cruise.

Previous WDW vacations include:
CR as a child with parents 1992 offsite twice 1993 Honeymoon GF 1995 BC 1996 SOG 2000 GF 2001 BWV 2003 (spring break) CR 2003 (summer) AKL 2003 (Christmas break including NYE) AKL concierge 2005 summer BWV 2006 April Swan 2006 August Dolphin 2007 March AKL 2007 August Dolphin 2008 March 7 Night Western on the Magic
2008 August (The Dark Side) PBH 2008 Dec BWI 2009 March Swan 2010 March Offsite (Grande Vista) 2010 December BWV plus 2 nights Marriott's Harbour Lake and 3 bonus nights snowed in at the Aiport Renaissance 2011 March Offsite (Marriott's Harbour Lake) 2012 August Offsite (Marriott's Grande Vista and Sabal Palms) March 2014 BWV
happymommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:21 AM   #14
amoradisney2010
Earning My Ears

Hi, We will be traveling with my son in October of 2010 (first cruise0. He is allergic to eggs and peanuts. You said that your daughter was not allowed to eat the pizza or hamburgers is that due to her egg allergy?
amoradisney2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: