Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
sdd1841
Mouseketeer

1 day in Epcot - what would you skip?

My friend and I are running in the princess 1/2 marathon in March - we are arriving early so that we can go to EPCOT on Friday, March 6. We only have one day but want to see as much as we can? What would you skip at EPCOT? Any idea how the crowds are at that time?

thanks so much - Sandy
sdd1841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:15 AM   #2
rosiejo
Wonky Chick
Look out for wedding crashing DISers!
Blimey you guys were hyper last night

Technically you could skip most of the 'insides' at World Showcase - just walk around and enjoy the sites and buildings. You need to make sure you have time for Soarin and Test Track most definitely!
Register to remove

Old 02-14-2009, 11:37 AM   #3
NikkiLovesWDW!
"Are you seeing an increase in lateral forces?" "Sure am!"

Save yourself an hour of your time and skip Ellen's Energy Adventure.

Like the pp said, I would definitely try to do Soarin' and Test Track and if you're like me, you have to get a ride on Spaceship Earth but other than that, I'd spend the rest of the time in World Showcase.
NikkiLovesWDW! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:43 AM   #4
DonaldTDuck
DIS Veteran

Well, I guess you won't want to drink around the world. But not going in the pavillions? What's the point? I'd do Soarin' and Test Track, and maybe JII, then head to World Showcase. Check Steve Soares' site for showtimes and pick the things that interest you. I'd do Voices of Liberty and American Adventure, the Chinese Acrobats, British Invasion, and Off Kilter. But that's me. I'd also want to see at least the new Canadian 360 movie. It stars Martin Short and is hilarious and interesting. If time ride the boat rides. Well, I'd have to ride Gran Fiesta Tour at Mexico, but that's a Donald Duck thing.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:56 AM   #5
missfigment
Mouseketeer

epcot is my most fav.
So heres my recommendation

You MUST do:
Spaceship earth
Journey into imagination
Test Track
Soarin
The seas with nemo
Maelstrom at Norway (but skip the boring video after...run through the exit doors quick!)

If you have time:
Honey I shrunk the audience
Mission space (this is just a personal dislike of mine, but some people love it)
Turtle talk with crush
american adventure
Mexico boat ride (gran Fiesta Tour)
World of Coke
Dragon Legends Acrobats

You could skip IMO:
Innoventions
Ellen's adventure
Image works
Living with the Land
Circle of life
And various other shops of world showcase (although I think the best is Japan...I always like to shop there...but again personal opinion)

I'll prob have a lot of disagreements with this...but this is just my must do and miss list
too many trips to count as a kid Family trip 11-03 MK MK 1st anniversary trip 9-05 Me & Mom girls day Epcot 3-07 Family trip Epcot 2-15-08 Hubby & Me Universal 4-19-08 5 day Family trip at BC thanks to Orbitz.com: 3-20-09 Daytrip just the 3 of us..12-10-10 Family trip of four @POP 5-14-11 Several trips off site, but many good memories made

Remember, like, a few years ago, every other boy was named Jason, and the girls were all named Brittany?
:
missfigment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:01 PM   #6
SlipKid918
Mouseketeer

I went during that time last year and the crowds are moderate. You can easily skip the following and not miss much of anything:

Mission Space
Canada, France, and China movies
Circle of Life
Universe of Energy (one of my favorites, but it's really long)
Honey I Shrunk the Audience
The Seas with Nemo and Friends (unless you're a Nemo fan like me)
Journey into Your Imagination (unless you're a Figment fan like me)
Turtle Talk with Crush

If you're planning on staying from open to close, I would immediately go to Soarin when the park opens, grab an FP, then do the standby line. Next, ride Living with the Land while waiting for your Soarin FP time, maybe also get a healthy snack at Sunshine Seasons. Grab an FP for Test Track, do Spaceship Earth, then Test Track with your FP (you could also do single rider line on Test Track, which is quite a short wait if you don't mind not riding with anybody you know). By this time it should be around lunch.

Head over to Mexico to ride the Gran Fiesta Tour boat ride and grab an FP for Maelstrom. Get some food, ride Maelstrom, and then you've done almost everything that I think is a must do by maybe 2 pm. Also, be sure to see the American Adventure if you haven't before, it's really great. The rest of the day can be spent in the World Showcase and doing whatever else you think is fun. I've done this plan before and it seems to work when the crowds aren't crazy!
June 1995 - Offsite
April 2004 - Old Key West
March 2005 - Old Key West
March 2006 - Beach Club Villas
October 2007 - Coronado Springs Resort
March 2008 - Old Key West
September 2009 - Contemporary Resort
September 2010 - Boardwalk Villas
January 2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter
SlipKid918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:12 PM   #7
kshattuck
DIS Veteran

Energy Adventure...

I don't think you'd feel like you missed the EPCOT experience if you ditched Ellen's Energy Adventure or Living with the Land.

Good luck with the 1/2! Fun!

kshattuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:20 PM   #8
marlower
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd1841 View Post
My friend and I are running in the princess 1/2 marathon in March - we are arriving early so that we can go to EPCOT on Friday, March 6. We only have one day but want to see as much as we can? What would you skip at EPCOT? Any idea how the crowds are at that time?

thanks so much - Sandy
Plan on arriving a little bit before park opening and you should be able to get a bunch of stuff in. It's easier to tell you what to ride than what to skip. I would ride: Soarin', Test Track, and Mission:Space (the real ride not the easy side), then I would head over to World Showcase and just leisurely check out the different countries. You may have time to go back to Future World and ride or check out any other attractions you might have missed in the morning.

marlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:29 PM   #9
Disney/Universal Fan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshattuck View Post
I don't think you'd feel like you missed the EPCOT experience if you ditched Ellen's Energy Adventure or Living with the Land.

Good luck with the 1/2! Fun!
One of the great things about Disney is that there is something for everyone. For me, I wouldn't think of leaving Epcot without doing Living With the Land, and I make it a point to do Ellen's Energy Adventure eveery other time I go. We are Annual Passholders, live in Florida, and go about once per month. Also, I think Soarin' and Test Track are must-see's, and I have sort of become addicted to the Kim Possible Adventure's in World Showcase. Have fun and good luck with the run!
Disney/Universal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:46 PM   #10
aviva5675
DIS Veteran

I would agree with most that for time's sake skip the 'inside' of the lands, tho when I went in January I went in for the first time and found it enjoyable.

But for a first trip: If you can do Ellens its worth seeing once, same with Turtle Talk- very cute, at least once. Skip Figment unless you are a huge fan. The Canada movie is a not to miss. Saw the China and the France movies last month, do if you have time. Same with Maelstrom and the Mexico ride--they are small, do if you have time.

Dont miss Soarin (do like they said--run, get FP, ride, return later), Test Track, Nemo (worth it once), MS (easy or original), Living with the Land, Spaceship Earth, American Adventure, Canada movie. Eat alot!
Old 02-14-2009, 01:49 PM   #11
meatball77
Mouseketeer

Just wait till later to hit world showcase and you'll be able to hit most everything.

Innovations can be skipped.

http://curlytailsandtights.blogspot.com/

Trip to DisneyWorld 1/25

http://sarasvacationblog.blogspot.com/
meatball77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:00 PM   #12
KorieDWnut
Known to be the cranky person to comment under my breath

I really think it depends on what you are into.

I am not a drinker. I don't like alcohal at all, so sampling different beverages throughout world showcase is NOT for me...but many many on the board love it. I am also not a shopper..so I don't really care to visit many stores.

So right there, I just cut out some time. I HAVE to walk through each land but I don't always stop in each country to check things out.

I LOVE educational rides so for me, Ellen's Energy ride, Living with the Land and especially..oh whats it called now, used to be Living Seas..now it is the Nemo area..anyway, those are very important to me.

I think you should really look into what is there and make that decision based on what kind of things you are really interested to do.

Like another poster said, the most wonderful thing about WDW is that there is DEFINITELY something for EVERYONE.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:10 PM   #13
srwarden1928
DIS Veteran

I would skip Innoventions (both sides) and Turtle Talk. You can see everything else, depending on how long you take to look around the WS pavilions.

Feb 1972, Feb 1974, Feb 1976, Feb 1978, Mar 1985 (EP only), Mar 1990 (EP only), Mar 2008, Oct 2008 (MNSSHP only)

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/3va2jxzqyyfdfk89.png[/img]
srwarden1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:08 PM   #14
Cdn Gal
DIS Veteran

I would skip the Canadian pavillion- and I'm Canadian!! If you ask many Cdns you'll find the same answer. Just look at the gardens that are supposed to be represented after Buchart Gardens, in Victoria, and walk on by!
Old 02-14-2009, 03:26 PM   #15
Disney/Universal Fan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn Gal View Post
I would skip the Canadian pavillion- and I'm Canadian!! If you ask many Cdns you'll find the same answer. Just look at the gardens that are supposed to be represented after Buchart Gardens, in Victoria, and walk on by!

I really enjoyed the Canada film and the area in the rear with the waterfalls is magnificent.
Disney/Universal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: