The Internet's Largest and Friendliest Disney Community WDWinfo.com | DISboards.com | Dreams Unlimited Travel
DISboards
Sheraton Resort Orlando
Beautiful Rooms and Atmosphere

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions > Hotel & Accommodations Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #901
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

here are some pics of my 2BR villa in the lakes section in may 2013:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9745983...7634112517132/

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #902
mrsap
Disney World '86, '04, '05, '06, '10, '12, '13, stb '14

Great pics! Never saw the Lakes section! Thanks for sharing!

mrsap is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #903
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post
here are some pics of my 2BR villa in the lakes section in may 2013:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9745983...7634112517132/
Beautiful photos! The one of the pool at night time is absolutely gorgeous!!!

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! **August 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #904
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

thanks. i've been in the lakes section in may 2012 and 2013 - i think it's my favorite off-site resort. great location near wdw and beautiful rooms.

while the pictured pool is the closest, i've actually used the fountains pool more often, as it's larger and just a little farther to walk.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #905
jaspereira
Earning My Ears

SVR or Floridays?

Hi, friends!

Searching on TripAdvisor, I see some mixed reviews lately... Mostly "average" to "good/very good", and a few "excellent" comments.

I searched some other resorts, and finally came up to two: SVR and Floridays. But I chose SVR, and booked it for our Oct./Nov. trip...

Was it a good deal? How do both resorts compare?

We are 4 here (me, wife, two little girls - 2 year old, 6 year old).

Thanks!
jaspereira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #906
mrsap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspereira View Post
Hi, friends!

Searching on TripAdvisor, I see some mixed reviews lately... Mostly "average" to "good/very good", and a few "excellent" comments.

I searched some other resorts, and finally came up to two: SVR and Floridays. But I chose SVR, and booked it for our Oct./Nov. trip...

Thanks!
I am actually shocked to see anyone rating SVR anything less than 4 or 5 stars! Some of the complaints seemed silly on Trip advisor, but to each their own. I was there before and after renos were done and its just a beautiful place. I do not think you will be disappointed. We are not owners, just renters who just really love the place. Looking forward to going back for our 4th stay in November! Enjoy!

Old 06-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #907
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspereira View Post
Hi, friends!

Thanks!
While I am a big advocate of (and also a regular contributor to) TripAdvisor, you also have to take many of their reviews with a grain of salt. Some people could not be pleased if a property rolled out their red carpet and gave them VIP treatment.....they would say it was overkill. Others are pleased by almost nothing because staying at a hotel is such a treat and a rarety that they don't have much else to compare it to.

I always disregard the one-post reviewers.....they are just to suspect in my opinion. I mostly read through them to find consistent themes.....are complaints about dirty rooms or unpleasant staff prevalent? Then that might be a concern. Are most people raving about the decor of the rooms? Then probably I'm about to be very impressed. Does the disgruntled reviewer write about being spoken to by management because their kids were disturbing the neighbours? Or did they ask for an upgrade (over and above what they paid) and get refused, even for a valid reason? That often colours a person's opinion of their stay.

Our favourite local "staycation" property is Great Wolf Lodge in Niagara Falls. We love it there and always have a great time. Yet the reviews are mixed at best, with only a 75% recommendation rate. So I think the mixed reviews will be an issue for properties everywhere, and not just in Orlando.

Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! **August 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Old 06-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #908
jamuth
Mouseketeer

silly question

SVR is not the Sheraton Vistana Villages on I-drive right? I just booked at the villages and was trying to find information on the resort. Sorry if I am in the wrong area.
jamuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:34 AM   #909
mrsap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamuth View Post
SVR is not the Sheraton Vistana Villages on I-drive right? I just booked at the villages and was trying to find information on the resort. Sorry if I am in the wrong area.
No it's not. They are two different places - Sheraton Vistana Resort and Sheraton Vistana Villages

Old 06-18-2013, 06:36 AM   #910
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamuth View Post
jamuth, here's the link to the thread on the Villages:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2854036

Old 06-27-2013, 01:11 AM   #911
GAGirlInVA
DIS Veteran

Where is the best place to book this?

I found some listings on Redweek but I've never used them before.

(PM me if you don't want to post openly! )

Dec 2010: ASMu April 2011: POP! Oct 2011: ASMo April 2014: Caribbean Beach resort!

Next trip? Maybe DisneyLAND for Dec '14 or March '15
GAGirlInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #912
bankr63
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGirlInVA View Post
Where is the best place to book this?

I found some listings on Redweek but I've never used them before.
You've got a few options.
  • Dreams Unlimited Travel is a DISboards sponsor and almost always has an active link for Sheraton Vistana Resort at the top of this thread
  • Direct from Sheraton.com
  • Any trusted TA
  • Redweek.com
  • tug2.net (timeshare users group)
  • eBay
The first three options allow you to book more like a hotel with variable checkin days, variable length of stay, cancellation options. The last 3 options allow you to book from resort owners, but you will need to pay up front, non-refundable, and usually only full weeks with Fri/Sat/Sun checkin. I'd be very careful if buying a week's stay on eBay.

Timeshare owners can book Vistana resort through either RCI or II as well.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible. - Walt Disney

Last trip to WDW and US, March 8-17, 2013
Next trip planned for March 13-22 2015 - driving 1,500 miles on Friday the 13th

bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #913
GAGirlInVA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
You've got a few options.
  • Dreams Unlimited Travel is a DISboards sponsor and almost always has an active link for Sheraton Vistana Resort at the top of this thread
  • Direct from Sheraton.com
  • Any trusted TA
  • Redweek.com
  • tug2.net (timeshare users group)
  • eBay
The first three options allow you to book more like a hotel with variable checkin days, variable length of stay, cancellation options. The last 3 options allow you to book from resort owners, but you will need to pay up front, non-refundable, and usually only full weeks with Fri/Sat/Sun checkin. I'd be very careful if buying a week's stay on eBay.

Timeshare owners can book Vistana resort through either RCI or II as well.
Oh geesh. You know how you look at something so much eventually you just don't "see" things.

I've overlooked those links for quite sometime.

Thanks!

Dec 2010: ASMu April 2011: POP! Oct 2011: ASMo April 2014: Caribbean Beach resort!

Next trip? Maybe DisneyLAND for Dec '14 or March '15
GAGirlInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #914
HFC1969
Grand Floridian Junkie!

Thanks for the info in the thread...

We just purchased a week over NYE from a charity auction. Never have stayed off of WDW property. So please excuse my silly questions.

Are there shuttles from the airport? shuttles to the parks?

Is there maid service available?
Old 07-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #915
bankr63
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFC1969 View Post
Thanks for the info in the thread...

We just purchased a week over NYE from a charity auction. Never have stayed off of WDW property. So please excuse my silly questions.

Are there shuttles from the airport? shuttles to the parks?

Is there maid service available?
Airport shuttles? Not that I am aware of.

Shuttles to the parks? Yes - but read back a bit on this thread. They are not very convenient and fairly expensive unless you are booked as a hotel stay. I suspect that an auction was probably an owner's week, so you probably won't have free shuttle.

Housekeeping always includes a mid-week tidy/towel change. If you want daily housekeeping it is available for an extra charge.

A word of advice for any first time offsiter. Orlando is pretty much a "car required" city when staying offsite. Luckily it has one of the most competitive rental car markets at MCO so great deals on rental cars abound. Orlando may very well be the only city in America where you can usually get a car cheaper at the airport than anywhere else in the city. See the transportaton board for more information on getting the best rental rates.

Orlando also has some of the most confusing street alignments as they snake around the thousands of little lakes. It's pretty rare to find a truly straight stretch of road. So I would also rate Orlando as a GPS mandatory city. Bring your own or borrow one from a friend rather than taking the overpriced rental car extra add-on.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible. - Walt Disney

Last trip to WDW and US, March 8-17, 2013
Next trip planned for March 13-22 2015 - driving 1,500 miles on Friday the 13th

bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: