Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2009, 09:50 PM   #91
PrincessCaitlin
DIS Veteran

I'm in

I am currently trying to catch up with your 07 report

I really enjoy the way you type

I have always wanted to go to Halloween at Disney (we just did Christmas at Disney) so I know how magical a time you and your family will have.

When Disney does a holiday it's "GO BIG OR GO HOME!"

Can't wait to read more

The Hot Fudge Terrorists and the Curse of the Drunken Punkin

How Much was It?!?!?!?! The tale of our best trip ever!!!!

*The opinions and comments in the above post do not reflect the views, opinions, policies, or procedures of the Walt Disney Company or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates,
including but not limited to the Walt Disney World Resort and all other included areas.*
Old 02-25-2009, 09:38 AM   #92
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

Arrow A Halloween Adventure in Autism

PTR #7 Still Debating Sea World....Okay, Debate Over.

Tricia is very excited about feeding dolphins, but I'm still not so sure that I want to spend $260 plus an extra $20-40 for fish in order to do it! (There is an additional fee if you want to feed dolphins or sea lions, etc.)
Seems a little steep to me.

And then, there is the additional cost for transportation. We normally do not rent a car while on Disney property. One of the things Ed enjoys the most about being on-site is not having the hassle of driving to and from the parks all week.

So, once we add in the cost of a cab, it really makes the Sea World excursion quite an additional expense. Realistically speaking, that cost would double if we took the free second day option on the one-day ticket, so it really wouldn't be entirely "free!" And, I have a feeling that we will probably wind up not wanting to leave Disney for more than one day, anyhow.

I may have posted in my other report that we opted to pay more $$ for park hopper tickets. And, of course, we will be paying around $225 for 5 MNSSHP tickets for us and for DNiece. (I already told DSis I wanted to give her the party as a Bday present.) The extras are starting to rack up.

If it sounds like I'm trying to justify my decision by citing fiscal responsibility, well, its because I am! As much as it pains me, I think we had better skip SeaWorld again. Sigh. Just a another sign of the times.

On a happier note, I now have only 33 more days until I can call for our DVC reservation! I can't wait to find out what we're going to get!

Kathy
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-25-2009, 10:03 AM   #93
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

Tough decision... but there's so much to do at Disney - you can't go wrong by staying onsite all week. And you want to make sure you have plenty of down time scheduled too.

We went to Sea World in 2002 and enjoyed it - but I'm not dying to go back. It was right across the street from our resort in 2007 and we didn't go then either. We're not much of a show family so it would have been hard for the boys - they just can't sit still very long. Maybe when they are older - I'm sure Alex would love the roller coasters there.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for BLT!! (Are those the right initials?? Just typing it made me hungry for a sandwich.)
Old 02-25-2009, 10:15 AM   #94
3princesses+aprince
DIS Veteran

joining in our your pre trip report!!! Your kids are adorable.
I think the decision to skip seaworld was a good one considering you will not have a rental car, and who REALLY wants to leave Disney World.
It's neat that your neice is coming along, i'm sure the girls will have so much fun together.

Our very magical, very first trip to Disney World!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2182745

Come check out my Pre Trip Report, May 09
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2066680
Old 02-25-2009, 10:22 AM   #95
Disneylvr
Mommy of Madelyn, Ebay Addict and Happy Scrapbooker
No longer addicted to the Creek
We could watch Wishes every night

Hi Kathy, we too have been debating a Sea World visit. Not for our trip next month but for a future trip. Madelyn loves aquariums! But for now we'll stick to the Disney parks.

Billy's (and your family's) journey through autism sounds so much like Madelyns. She too had speech and then lost it just before her 2nd birthday. Her diagnosis of autistic disorder came at age 3. She is now almost 6 years old and so far hasn't regained her speech but we are still working on that. She is in a special education classroom (with 30 minutes of general ed kindergarten inclusion per day) and receives ABA, PT, OT, MT and Speech. She also loves Disney World! She really doesn't have a favorite character but really enjoys all of the rides, the faster they go the better. The most magical thing about vacations in WDW is that we can be just like any other family there. They are so wonderful and understanding about our kids.

I just wanted you to know how much I enjoy your trip reports and pre trip reports! I cry and laugh right along with you.
20+ Disney Trips Since 1985 - All Star Movies, All Star Music, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Polynesian, Port Orleans French Quarter, Port Orleans Riverside and Wilderness Lodge

Last edited by Disneylvr; 02-25-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:42 AM   #96
irish dancer
DIS Veteran

Kathy you are not alone in your reasoning. We too think about adding Sea World or even Kennedy Space Center but then when we start adding everything up we just can't pull the trigger. When you've already spent big $$ for WDW passes, to add on a few hundred more is just too much.

I also agree with you on US and IOA, absolutely no desire to go there.....

We are however going to do Typhoon Lagoon during our June trip, we have pluses left from old tix though so no extra $$.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:04 AM   #97
elphie101
Left my heart in Tomorrowland

ooooo, 33 days! I personally am hoping for BLT for you cause hellllloooooooo, Contemporary!

(Look at me plotting to be a DVC member when it's at least 10 years away....... )

DH Me
WDW: '91, '92, '94, '01, '06 (offsite)* 7/11 Pop* 8/11 AS Music* 9/11 AS Sports* 12/11 CBR* 6/12 Pop* (TR Here!) 11/12 AS Movies* 1/13 Pop* 9/13 Pop* 5/14 Pop* 10/14 BCV*
DL: '03 (day)* 4/13 Fairfield Inn Anaheim* (TR Here!) DCL: 10/14 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean*

Star Command, over and out!*Hellllllooooooo Humans!*It's a great big BEAUTIFUL tomorrow!

Current TR: Our Disney Wedding & Honeymoon TR***Dining Review***Our Disney Wedding Planning Journal
Old 02-25-2009, 11:30 AM   #98
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

Arrow Hi! Thanks for joining me....

elphie101: Yes, Ed would be on He loves that monorail!

irish dancer: TL is closing for refurb 11/09-3/10....Oh, Darn!

wigdoutdismom: Wow, your first of three WDW trips is almost here! (J/K!) I am jealous!

Charleston Princess: Perhaps it is better to put off SW until they're older...looks likethose coasters are monsters!

preschoolmom: Okay. Made the decision. You can stop waiting now!

mrsksomeday: Someday, Tracy. Maybe we'll all do it together!

Princess Caitlin: Welcome! Take your time with that "07 report; I did!

nu2wdisneyw: Glad you like to read along...we made our 1st WDW trip in September....do you like HOT?!

mom2mek: Did you see I found out TL will be closed during our trip? Whew! No bathing suit pix for me!!

all7ofus: Next time, put your report on the TR board where we non-campers can find it! (I enjoyed reading it, BTW)

MRYPPNS: Your Dolphin pic was so cool! The skin looks so smooth and shiny, you just want to touch it! But looking at it makes me realize that Billy might be of the teeth and would not want to even go near it.

3princes+aprince: Welcome!

DisMomAmy: Yes, the acronym B-L-T is going to get a lot of sandwich jokes! But it's going to be seriously popular, so I don't know....

Disneylvr: Thanks, I know what you've been through. I can't even begin to describe how appreciative we are of Disney's treatment of special needs guests!

Thanks everybody!

Kathy
Old 02-25-2009, 11:52 AM   #99
MRYPPNS
Practically Prefect in Every Way

I can totally understand about not going to SeaWorld because of money. Disney has made it hard to leave property with Magical Express and how the park tickets are priced.

Just keep SeaWorld in mind for the future. I think it would make a wonderful mother/daughter day for the two of you.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:03 PM   #100
elphie101
Left my heart in Tomorrowland

Ooo, I forgot, I can add actual insight!

I'd definitely say that Sea World is worth it, my family went when we visited San Diego a few years ago (and almost missed DL....but after my brothers and I being so horrified that we were on the other side of the country and NOT visiting the Happiest Place on Earth, my dad finally relented.....course now I don't remember anything except that we loved the Matterhorn )

Anyway, we had a blast at Sea World, especially the Shamu show - my brother and father were picked to be involved! My brother got to pet the dolphin (orca whales are dolphins, yes) and feed him and even signal him to do tricks, while my dad........got entirely soaked. Ponchos are potentially a must if you ever do this, we had to buy my dad an entirely new outfit at the park, shoes included!

DH Me
WDW: '91, '92, '94, '01, '06 (offsite)* 7/11 Pop* 8/11 AS Music* 9/11 AS Sports* 12/11 CBR* 6/12 Pop* (TR Here!) 11/12 AS Movies* 1/13 Pop* 9/13 Pop* 5/14 Pop* 10/14 BCV*
DL: '03 (day)* 4/13 Fairfield Inn Anaheim* (TR Here!) DCL: 10/14 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean*

Star Command, over and out!*Hellllllooooooo Humans!*It's a great big BEAUTIFUL tomorrow!

Current TR: Our Disney Wedding & Honeymoon TR***Dining Review***Our Disney Wedding Planning Journal
Old 02-25-2009, 06:15 PM   #101
Hedy
I'm 22 27 and I still kind of stammer
If you're old enough to hold a job, you're old enough to not burn popcorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyRN137 View Post
PTR #7 Still Debating Sea World....Okay, Debate Over.

Tricia is very excited about feeding dolphins, but I'm still not so sure that I want to spend $260 plus an extra $20-40 for fish in order to do it! (There is an additional fee if you want to feed dolphins or sea lions, etc.)
Seems a little steep to me.

And then, there is the additional cost for transportation. We normally do not rent a car while on Disney property. One of the things Ed enjoys the most about being on-site is not having the hassle of driving to and from the parks all week.

So, once we add in the cost of a cab, it really makes the Sea World excursion quite an additional expense. Realistically speaking, that cost would double if we took the free second day option on the one-day ticket, so it really wouldn't be entirely "free!" And, I have a feeling that we will probably wind up not wanting to leave Disney for more than one day, anyhow.

I may have posted in my other report that we opted to pay more $$ for park hopper tickets. And, of course, we will be paying around $225 for 5 MNSSHP tickets for us and for DNiece. (I already told DSis I wanted to give her the party as a Bday present.) The extras are starting to rack up.

If it sounds like I'm trying to justify my decision by citing fiscal responsibility, well, its because I am! As much as it pains me, I think we had better skip SeaWorld again. Sigh. Just a another sign of the times.

On a happier note, I now have only 33 more days until I can call for our DVC reservation! I can't wait to find out what we're going to get!

Kathy
Please, you'll be at WDW, what could be better.
33 more days!
4/93-Dixie Landings*12/96-Dixie Landings*2/02-POR*DLR-8/05-Royal Stovall's Inn*3/06-POR*12/07-POFQ**8/08-POP/Dolphin*10/09-POFQSwan 12/10*Podcast cruise 12/10*AKV 8/11*AoA 1/13*AoA 4/13 Universal: 7/08 HRH, 7/09 RPR, 8/10 RPR
*A vegetarian and pescetarian do Disney dining 12/07*Hedy and the Carnivores 08/08*Hedy and Lexie Rock Vegas 12/08*
'Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten

Old 02-26-2009, 12:43 PM   #102
mousescrapper
DIS Veteran

sorry Kathy I missed the whole SW debate...but I think you made a good decision!

got to love the Crocs and on sale...score!

Scrappie
Old 02-26-2009, 12:59 PM   #103
maroo
DIS Veteran

Sea World...

That is a tough choice. The best part of the whole trip, for us, was feeding the dolphins!

You know...if your daughter is keen on dolphins...maybe you could plan a return trip with just her at some point and plan to go to Discovery Cove. It is quite expensive...but is a total experience! And includes everything for the whole day, I think. And she can actually swim with them. Maybe you could do it for her for a special milestone or something.

Sea World is HUGE. Lots and lots of walking. And it is hard to see everything in a day.

I do recommend the Backstage at Believe lunch meal, though! For a few extra dollars per person, you get a GREAT meal (best one I have had including BOTH of my trips) - buffet with good, good food - and it includes drinks...even beer. You don't have to wait in counter service lines and it really was not that expensive, honestly. And was our only big meal of the day. You get preferred seating at the Shamu show, too, so you would not have that line to wait in...which may be good for Billy.

You get to sit right next to the training pools and watch a video training thing on Shamu. It was awesome. If we were going back to Sea World, we would definitely do that again!

They even refunded the money for Lisa and Lauren - since they were sick.

You can check out the Sea World pics in my TR if you want pics of the Backstage at Believe view. I wish I had food pics. The food was yummy!!!
Old 02-26-2009, 01:21 PM   #104
maroo
DIS Veteran

ok...

I am such the moron...

I didn't see the "oh, by the way we already decided" post!

So, feel free to ignore my 10 cents about Sea World.

I could go back and edit my other post...but that would be no fun, now, would it!
Old 02-27-2009, 12:49 PM   #105
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Hey Kathy

Just stopping by for the moment and subscribing. I'll catch up soon.

**NEW TR** S.O.C.K. and Stitch Return to the World with a Dog

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: