Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2009, 01:02 PM   #16
MRYPPNS
Practically Prefect in Every Way

I'll be back!!

Old 02-11-2009, 01:27 PM   #17
mousescrapper
DIS Veteran

I'm here

That is so sweet of you guys to invite your Dniece Catie!

Can't wait to read all about the planning and fun to come.

Scrappie
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2009, 02:42 PM   #18
Halloweenqueen
Whenever Candle Lights Flicker...

You are going to have a BLAST!!!

I can't wait to read all about it!

We are still crossing our fingers for a Fall trip. My oldest starts middle school next year, so I'm weary of pulling him out.

Here is our gang October 31st, 2007! They loved MNSSHP and riding the attractions in their costumes!

Old 02-11-2009, 03:31 PM   #19
elphie101
Left my heart in Tomorrowland

I'm in! I've followed you guys on the past couple TRs, and I love your family! Uh oh, what's happening with the ARF? You and your cliffhangers!

DH Me
WDW: '91, '92, '94, '01, '06 (offsite)* 7/11 Pop* 8/11 AS Music* 9/11 AS Sports* 12/11 CBR* 6/12 Pop* (TR Here!) 11/12 AS Movies* 1/13 Pop* 9/13 Pop* 5/14 Pop* 10/14 BCV*
DL: '03 (day)* 4/13 Fairfield Inn Anaheim* (TR Here!) DCL: 10/14 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean*

Star Command, over and out!*Hellllllooooooo Humans!*It's a great big BEAUTIFUL tomorrow!

Current TR: Our Disney Wedding & Honeymoon TR***Dining Review***Our Disney Wedding Planning Journal
Old 02-11-2009, 04:29 PM   #20
askelton
Disney Cosmo

All the Halloween decorations are so cool and you're going to love MNSSHP.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:14 PM   #21
MRYPPNS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyRN137 View Post
Looks like you're going to be reading all Spring and Summer long![/B]

Kathy
Good, I'll need something to do/read at those 2am feedings I have headed my way!

Old 02-11-2009, 10:41 PM   #22
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

Arrow A Halloween Adventure in Autism!

The Cast: (continued)

The ARF:

Now if you haven’t been following along with my (not so) current trip report, I may lose you a bit here. Please accept my apologies. If you have been reading, you know that Ed’s Aunt Rae accompanied us to WDW in November of ’06 and then again in November of ’07.

The two trips were like day and night.

First: a little background. (Okay, a whole lot of background!) I’m feeling a bit guilty, so I hope you will bear with me; I need to talk about it….

Ed’s aunt is 79 years old. She never married and in her youth she doted on Ed and his brother. About ten years ago, she moved from NJ to Las Vegas to be closer to two of her sisters. Long story short: both sisters passed away and she was very lonely and unhappy out there, so she moved back to NJ. She decided she wanted to live near both her nephews, so she took an apartment in a senior building here in our town.

After watching what happened to her sisters, I think she realized that Ed and his brother were the closest thing she had to children of her own and she wanted to be near “the boys” as she got older. My SIL, unfortunately, never seemed interested in cultivating a relationship with her, and so she rarely sees their family even though they live here in town.

We take her to Mass every Sunday and then out to breakfast. She comes over to our house for birthdays and holidays. Once and a while, I drive her on an errand or to a doctor appointment if the senior bus cannot be arranged, but for the most part she has been independent and completely autonomous. She is, after all, Ed’s aunt and not his mother. (Although she loves to refer to Ed as “the son she never had.”)

As I have grown to know AR over the past four years, I have learned that she has lots of “issues.” She is very sweet, but she is also very high-strung and anxious. She has many ritualistic behaviors. She does have a sense of humor about quirks, however, and has often referred to herself as “the female Adrian Monk” (from the TV show.)

Because she had always talked about how much she loved Disney, and because she was beginning to look wistful and sad every time the topic of our trip came up (and you know that that was pretty often) we decided to invite her to come with us on our trip in 2006. She was ecstatic! It worked out pretty well, and with proper planning we all had a great time. She talked about it regularly in the months following, so naturally when we decided to go back in 2007, we invited her again.

But, somehow things had changed in a very short time period. Aunt Rae did not do as well on that trip, both physically and mentally. (See link to current TR in my siggie if you wish to know more.) She seemed to have aged tremendously and there was a noticeable decrease in her endurance level, mobility, and emotional stability. It was very stressful for the entire family.

We planned a short (four day) trip to WDW last April so that we could “use up” our Disney Vacation Club points. We knew that with major renovations planned for our home, we would not be making it down for our annual trip in the fall. In fact, at that time we didn’t think we’d be going back until 2010, so it was meant as a little “tide-us-over-until-then” trip.

We talked about it with Aunt Rae. First, we only had enough DVC points left for a Studio, which meant only two queen beds. Second, we were driving instead of flying because of the outrageous ticket prices at the time. Those two things combined to make the question of whether she would be joining us again a rather moot point. I am ashamed to say that I was secretly relieved when she said she did think she could tolerate the long drive down.

Again, the two trips were like night and day. (More on that trip, later.)

Then, over this past summer, she was doing an exercise class at the Senior Center and fell. She had not been going for some time and her friend convinced her to go back. Well, they all zigged and she zagged and down she went! She didn’t officially break anything, but she spent 2 days in the hospital for tests and then a few weeks in a rehab facility for physical and occupational therapy. The therapies continued for several more weeks once she went home.

She recovered, but not fully. She is very unsteady on her feet and gets winded easily. But she absolutely refuses to use a walker or a cane and I fear she’s just an accident waiting to happen. You can lead the horse to water….

So, when Ed and I began tentatively discussing this possible Halloween trip, the subject of Aunt Rae was like the 800 lb. gorilla in the room. (Sorry, I must pause to laugh thoroughly at that last image…Aunt Rae is extremely tiny and about 90 lbs, soaking wet!) I vacillated between feeling guilty about not wanting to invite her and feeling justified that it would be the best thing for our family. I vacillated about a hundred times a day.

When I asked Ed about inviting our niece, Catie, and he said that it was a good idea, it finally begged the question, “What about Aunt Rae?” We were driving alone in the car one day and I finally put it out there in the open. Ed was matter-of-fact about it. “Just tell her why we’re inviting Caity this year…she’ll understand.”

Whoa! Hold on there, partner! Whaddya mean, “Just tell her…?”

I felt compelled to clarify this. “You mean, we’ll just tell her, right?” I waited for a response.

He kept on driving. I kept on waiting.

“Kathy, she’ll understand,” was all he would say.

“Yes, I do hope she will understand when we talk to her about it,” I replied. He let out a slight sound of exasperation. He had obviously figured that I would be the one handling this delicate situation. “I really want you to be with me when I talk to her,” I continued. “You know how she is; she might get really upset. I shouldn’t have to do this by myself.”

“Besides,” I added, “I love Aunt Rae, but she’s your aunt, not mine.”

There, I said it.

He finally agreed to it, but I am so dreading the conversation. As of yet, we haven’t said anything but as the trip gets closer I know someone will let it slip. I really need to get this over and done with; I don’t want this discussion to pop up unexpectedly one Sunday over breakfast at the Pancake House.

I asked Tricia about how she felt about not inviting Aunt Rae and she really nailed it. “Well, I think it will be very good for us, but very bad for her.” Ugh.

I am feeling so bad about disappointing her. After the first trip, she must have thanked Ed and me a hundred times for inviting her. We had had so much fun talking about the trips beforehand; she even mentioned several times that planning the trips with us “gave her something to live for.” UGH!!

But, it has to be done.

Oh, Lord, please help me!

Next up: The Billy Factor

Kathy

Last edited by KathyRN137; 02-12-2009 at 11:40 AM. Reason: my gorilla was only 300 lbs.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:06 PM   #23
eyeheartgoofy
DIS Veteran

Oh, Kathy! I feel so badly for you having to tell Aunt Rae. I totally agree with your decision, but ... ughh, so hard!!!
Old 02-12-2009, 06:12 AM   #25
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

Hi Kathy! I'm sorry the ARF has put you in such an awkward position!

But I completely understand... I love my mother dearly, but she is our ARF - for different reasons. (There... I said it!) One of the benefits of staying on property this year is that we can only have 4 people in our room.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:40 AM   #26
Hedy
I'm 22 27 and I still kind of stammer
If you're old enough to hold a job, you're old enough to not burn popcorn

I think Tricia did nail it.
4/93-Dixie Landings*12/96-Dixie Landings*2/02-POR*DLR-8/05-Royal Stovall's Inn*3/06-POR*12/07-POFQ**8/08-POP/Dolphin*10/09-POFQSwan 12/10*Podcast cruise 12/10*AKV 8/11*AoA 1/13*AoA 4/13 Universal: 7/08 HRH, 7/09 RPR, 8/10 RPR
*A vegetarian and pescetarian do Disney dining 12/07*Hedy and the Carnivores 08/08*Hedy and Lexie Rock Vegas 12/08*
'Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten

Old 02-12-2009, 08:31 AM   #27
MRYPPNS

I really do think that Ed needs to take the lead with telling AR....Good Luck with that !

I actually think it would be bad for AR to go to WDW with you. She seems to be one curb slip away from a broken hip. And then what will you do?

And if she had "issues" with Tricia the last trip....imagine what it would be like with 2 teen girls. (By the way I think it's a wonderful idea to bring Tricia's cousin along

Then I think about how dis-jointed your family vacation could become. I'm thinking that you'll give the girls a bit of freedom while in a park (maybe to run off and do a couple rides by themselves...etc.) And I get the impression that Billy and AR don't away like the same rides, so then either you or Ed is taking Billy to RNRC and the other is waiting with AR (or she's waiting by herself).

That being all said....what about a 3 day trip somewhere in the Northeast with AR? She could help plan it and you could get rid of some of your guilt.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:03 AM   #28
mousescrapper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRYPPNS View Post
I
Then I think about how dis-jointed your family vacation could become. I'm thinking that you'll give the girls a bit of freedom while in a park (maybe to run off and do a couple rides by themselves...etc.) And I get the impression that Billy and AR don't away like the same rides, so then either you or Ed is taking Billy to RNRC and the other is waiting with AR (or she's waiting by herself).

That being all said....what about a 3 day trip somewhere in the Northeast with AR? She could help plan it and you could get rid of some of your guilt.
That is really well said Heidi...

Kathy I feel your in all of this, but I agree w/ the other you are making probably the best choice for everyone...even if everyone won't see it that way. But maybe it will go better than you imagine. Keep us posted.

s all around

Scrappie
Old 02-12-2009, 12:20 PM   #29
melk
DIS Veteran
Have you seen my DD's "crappy" (aka capri) pants??
In need of a good sippy cup
Psyched DVC Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRYPPNS View Post

I think that is a great idea. We don't invite my mom on our family trips anymore (because she now lives in an in-law setup with us...I need the break from her). But before we go I make sure she doesn't feel neglected. Maybe an overnight trip a month before our family trip, or a nice dinner out with us before we go. That way she's "feeling the love" when we leave and we don't feel so guilty about going (well, not that I'm ever feeling that guilty ).

I hope all goes well when you break the news to her .
Old 02-12-2009, 12:22 PM   #30
mom2mek
Obsessed with Disney

Wishing you the best of luck with the ARF! It's such a tough thing to do, but I'm sure between the two of you, you will come up with a gracious and tactful way of telling her that will spare her feelings in every way possible. I like the idea of taking her on a quick trip somewhere (somewhere safe) to help ease the subject!!!

Good luck!

Sara

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: