Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2009, 06:56 PM   #136
mousescrapper
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to ring in on the Connect 4 game...no not the red and black checker version....

Your reasons for not doing it are the same as ours and then I also have an under 3 yr old to contend w/ as well. I agree the rates are nothing to be about it...but for us it just came down to ease

We did a TON of looking around into alternate airports to try and fly for a little less and the thought of boarding and unboarding 4 times just was something to make my insides curl...

We are flying non-stop and now (hopefully) I will be a fan of SouthWest and Chicago's smaller airport after this trip.

Good luck!
Old 03-05-2009, 07:17 PM   #137
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

I love Southwest out of Mancheter, NH (our smaller airport) rather than flying out of Boston. Unfortunately, the prices have been awful this year. I was determined to find something good so I ended up with direct flights on JetBlue out of Portland, ME (only about an hour away) for just over $200 RT per person. I'm hoping to become a fan of JetBlue.

We are still doing direct flights this year - but they only offered one time for the direct flight. We have to fly out mid-day and fly home in the morning. I guess you can't have it all.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-05-2009, 07:20 PM   #138
Hedy
I'm 22 27 and I still kind of stammer
If you're old enough to hold a job, you're old enough to not burn popcorn

Could you fly out of Philadelphia? I think SWA flies out of there.
I'm awaiting JetBlue and Southwest to release October fares, myself.
4/93-Dixie Landings*12/96-Dixie Landings*2/02-POR*DLR-8/05-Royal Stovall's Inn*3/06-POR*12/07-POFQ**8/08-POP/Dolphin*10/09-POFQSwan 12/10*Podcast cruise 12/10*AKV 8/11*AoA 1/13*AoA 4/13 Universal: 7/08 HRH, 7/09 RPR, 8/10 RPR
*A vegetarian and pescetarian do Disney dining 12/07*Hedy and the Carnivores 08/08*Hedy and Lexie Rock Vegas 12/08*
'Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten

Old 03-05-2009, 08:52 PM   #139
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousescrapper View Post
I agree the rates are nothing to be about it...but for us it just came down to ease

Scrappie, you hit the nail right on the head; why should I take on more worries??

Kathy
Old 03-05-2009, 08:53 PM   #140
KathyRN137

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
We are still doing direct flights this year - but they only offered one time for the direct flight. We have to fly out mid-day and fly home in the morning. I guess you can't have it all.
But, I want it all!!

Kathy
Old 03-05-2009, 08:55 PM   #141
KathyRN137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedy View Post
Could you fly out of Philadelphia? I think SWA flies out of there.
I'm awaiting JetBlue and Southwest to release October fares, myself.

Too far, sweetie! I don't want the kids to miss school on Friday!

Kathy
Old 03-06-2009, 05:44 AM   #142
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

As far as the luggage goes....

I have flown A LOT over the years including some very crazy flights and connections. We've flown to and from Australia (going all the way to Maine) and I've flown to a small town in Alaska for which I had about two or three connections and my luggage has NEVER been lost. It has always arrived when I did. Sometimes I have been truly amazed by that fact. I guess I'm just lucky.

Personally, I'd go for the connection to save money, but it definitely can add some stress especially if the flights are close and the airports are large and confusing.

**NEW TR** S.O.C.K. and Stitch Return to the World with a Dog
Old 03-06-2009, 07:20 AM   #143
maroo
DIS Veteran

I think the longer connections are much better for luggage. They seem to do really well with luggage in the States now. My friend that went to South Africa this week lost hers somewhere in Franfurt! Hopefully they will find it! Otherwise she just went half-way across the world to be a missionary with literally the clothes on her back.

I digress.

The other thing I would avoid is a stop that would take you someplace where you could have bad weather. I know you can have bad weather anywhere...but I would avoid hot spots...if that makes sense. Would be awful to get stuck in a connection airport with bad weather when you could have spent the extra money and been in Disney already.

My friend took a flight through Chicago one year to save money and ended up snowed in!

That is my 12 cents.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:05 AM   #144
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

I think it will all become clear to you- the important thing is that you have lots of ideas and options! Good research will lend good choices in the end. Don't sweat it. My experience is that layovers always whisk by, and even with an hour and a half layover we've cut it very close- sometimes even having to RUN to our gate. Flights are more often delayed at least a few minutes, so the hour or 1 1/2 hours often aren't really that.

We would probably save the $600-$800 and just make sure we'd pack the essentials in carry-ons. I think the statistics will bear out that only a small percentage of lugguge gets lost. What about trip insurance?? That could cover any lost luggage, then you could pick up what you needed there if you had to.

Anyway, I hope that it works out! But guess first things first- hoping for the wishes of your heart on your ressie!

Old 03-07-2009, 08:45 AM   #145
kaysmommie
DIS Veteran

All caught up now. Telling your story about Billy being diagnosed made me cry. That must be much harder on the parents than the child. Sounds like he is doing wonderful though and that is just excellent. I don't know a ton about autism but my DS does have some sensory issues. I think that can be quite hard to deal with sometimes, though he has grown out of some luckily. I'm sure you are an awesome mom to say the least.

Your trip plans sound great. We love MNSSHP, so much fun. Also I know you were debating Sea World. I have to tell you that we went in 2006 and it was just amazing. My DS especially loved it and is asking to go back. We won't be able to go this trip though since we only have 6 days. I do think it's worth it though. We loved petting the dolphins. It's easy to pet them without buying the fish. Also they have a tour you can do and you get to pet a penguin. I think it is reasonably priced too like $12 pp. That is on my next time list for sure. good luck with the airfare, we are having the same dilemma. In NJ we always flew out of AC but it was only 70 minute drive for us.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:26 AM   #146
KathyRN137

Arrow A Halloween Adventure in Autism: PTR

carissanboys, maroo, & All7OfUs: Thanks for sharing your opinions on connecting flights and the lost luggage concern; for a while I was seriously considering booking a connecting flight out of Newark.

Then I realized that NJ2Boardwalk was correct... there appears to be some price gauging going on in NJ b/c of Teachers' Convention. Ed and I decided that it was better to travel a little bit further to NY to fly out of JFK and get a more reasonable non-stop flight. (Too bad, Continental Airlines... you just lost out!!)

kaysmommie: Sorry about the I do think Sea World would be a great destination someday; as you described, there are so many great things to see and do, especially for the kids.

I'll try to work it into our itinerary sometime in the future when expense isn't such an issue.... I was pretty lucky as it was to get Ed to agree to a trip this year... we're still paying off the renovations on our house!

Nothing new to report on the planning front; it's still kind of early.

I did talk to DSis, Eileen (Caity's mom) and we discussed the budget (the whole airfare debate is part of that). She and my DBIL will pay for airfare and park tickets, I want to give my niece the MNSSHP ticket as a birthday present. (I have to get her something anyway, right?)

We are having a bit of a disagreement because she wants to give me $$ for my niece's meals, but I don't want to take it. First, I just don't want to be bothered keeping track of the cost of her individual meals, and second, I want to give them a little break. It's been a difficult year for them.

Just a little background on them: DSis is four years younger than me and we are very close. She is a hospice medical social worker by profession, but has recently left a job that was very low-pay and high-stress, and is enjoying being a SAHM for a little whille. She needed a little break.

After working for many years as a bicycle mechanic, my DBIL finally realized his dream last year and purchased a bike shop of his own. Although very excited about finally being his own boss, the economy hasn't exactly been favorable to him as a small business owner and he is working constantly to make up the difference.

Needless to say, they are not planning a family trip to WDW any time soon, although they have been there twice before and really love it.

So, I'm talking to DSis and she is feeling that they can at least afford to send Caity with us so she can have a vacation and spend time with her fav cousin, Tricia. But, she is being a pain about wanting to pay for my niece's food, too, which I think is stupid and since I am her big sister, I can tell her so!!

Well, we've got plenty of time to iron out those little details, don't we? The good thing is, that as it stands, DNiece Caity will definitely be coming with us. Tricia and Billy are really happy about that!

Thanks for reading along!

Kathy
Old 03-07-2009, 11:31 AM   #147
preschoolmom
DIS Veteran

I think it is awesome that you are bringing her! I can't wait to bring my nephews along with my kids some day!

Old 03-07-2009, 12:55 PM   #148
MRYPPNS
Practically Prefect in Every Way

Tell Dsis a little white lie. Tell her that she can pay for DNiece's kids dinning plan at $10/day. Then just give that money to DN when you get to WDW so she can have control over buying her own snacks and drinks.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:03 PM   #149
KathyRN137

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRYPPNS View Post
Tell Dsis a little white lie. Tell her that she can pay for DNiece's kids dinning plan at $10/day. Then just give that money to DN when you get to WDW so she can have control over buying her own snacks and drinks.
Hmmmm. Devious, yet effective.

I like it!!

Kathy
Old 03-07-2009, 06:06 PM   #150
KathyRN137

Quote:
Originally Posted by preschoolmom View Post
I think it is awesome that you are bringing her! I can't wait to bring my nephews along with my kids some day!

I'm excited, too! I think the kids will have lots of fun, especially on Halloween!

Kathy

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: