Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
2ScottishPrincesses
DIS Veteran

I want fabulous that is my simple request...I need a little fabulous is that so wrong

Hi Folks well this is my first attempt at a TR, so please be kind and bear with me. The accommodation, dates and cast members have changed so many times during the two year planning for this trip that it would take be forever to give you all the background details but I’ll have a stab at give you the abridge version.

Let me firstly introduce the cast members who made the final cut:-
FULL TIME CAST
Me (Kirsteen) – mum, just turned 40, obsessive planner, madly in love with all things Disney and have a tendency to bore the knickers off anyone who is foolish enough to ask a passing question about said topic.

DH (Donny or Big D) – gorgeous hubby, easy going, loves his girls, loves his grub and loves Disney but doesn’t get obsessive (his word not mine!!).

DD13(Rebecca/Becci) – loving, sensitive, Twilight crazy and a bit of a Disney freak on the quiet (who knew that it’s not cool to advertise you’re love of Disney UNLESS of course it’s Tinkerbell). There was a tendency towards the moody teen characteristics this trip but hey ho I suppose that goes with the territory.

DD4(Niamh pronounced Neev) – described by her nursery teacher recently as a wee bit eccentric she loves any Disney movies, Disney channel programmes and is a complete diva. She will say or do anything to make people laugh.
PART TIME CAST
Boyd – Donny’s bro fiercy patriotic Scot who moved to Long Island over two years ago (I know, bit of a contradiction in terms eh?).

Jo – a South African who speaks using a lot of Scottish slang, Boyd’s wife and I have been friends since we started working in the same place over 20 years ago (typing that statement has scared me as I’m still in denial about my recent “big birthday”)

Dylan (5 nearly 6years) – is a sweetheart, he’s a real livewire who loves his Uncle Donny to bits and has decided that he’s going to marry Becci when he grows up.

Cayla (4years) – is so like Niamh it’s scary. Total Diva who’s cute as a button and will never let anyone stand on her toes.

PLANNING HISTORY

When we returned from our 2007 trip I immediately started planning for this trip. I decided that come hell or high water we were going back to our favourite place on the planet and I needed no better excuse than the fact that I was turning 40 in July’09 and required something extra special to get me through this most traumatic of events.

I was made redundant from my sixteen and a half years service with BA at the end of July’07 and as such was now considered retired airline staff, this on it’s own is of no significant interest to anyone BUT it did mean that I could access special retired airline staff rates at WDW so it got my planning mind all in a lather. Oh man the endless stream of options and possibilities drove DH nuts and to be honest he basically just tuned it all out after a while. My plan after a couple of months of plotting and planning was one week at BC and one week at Poly…heaven!!! We had also been discussing the possibility of one of Becci’s friends coming along as with us to keep her company. well when I discussed this with the girl’s mum she said that they’d been thinking of going to WDW for a while and could their family maybe tag along. Okay now another facet of my personality is that I’m not very good at saying no so I then had to break the news of the cast additions to Donny and lets just say he wasn’t too jazzed at the idea. Then it started, we had to take into consideration that they have three kids so they needed a room that would accommodate five as reasonably as possible (that would rule out POLY FOR SURE AND NO CHANCE OF CONCIERGE) and they expected a say in where we were EATING, VISITING, etc. You can just imagine the anxiety as my POSITION of Trip Dictator was slipping from my grasp. They then decided that they wanted to do a villa for one week as they thought "TWO WEEKS IN DISNEY WOULD BE WAY TO MUCH"… what, NOOOOOOOOO!!!! I put my foot down as diplomatically as I could and said that if they wanted to do that then great but we were staying on property for 2WEEKS end of story. After that was sorted we paid THE deposits FOR THE fly-drive packages and saved like crazy. Jo (Donny’s DS-in-law) emailed to say that they’d love to meet up with us in Orlando that summer and we thought “Great”, it was all shaping up nicely….or was it DADADAH!!!! We reached Aug’08, when it was just about time to book the accommodation, and things started to go pear shaped. The other family got bad news that the dad was probably going to be made redundant around the time that we were due to go on holiday and then the pound started to go into freefall against the dollar so the fabby retired staff rate was no where near so attractiveanymore. What to do? our spending money was not going to stretch very far at all and fancy resorts were out of the question but cancelling was just not an option…..change to POR and scale down the activities/dining ressies = sorted. The pound was getting worse and worse and come the end of October the situation was looking dire. That was when those evil geniuses at Disney UK pounced, I received an innocent looking email full of colour, magic aaaaaaand the promise of FREE DINING!!!!! Only one problem, we would have to move our dates from end of June to beginning of August…oh what to do???? I spoke to Donny who said that the dates were set, we would lose our deposit for the fly drive and we’d made too many arrangements involving other people, so we would just have to stick with the original dates….WHAT?!?!?! The innocent young thing didn’t quite understand, it was FREE DINING, for the love of God man are you insane you don’t knock back any free food far or less free Disney food. I took a deep breath and explained exactly what he was rejecting and the amount of money we would save if he gave the idea a second thought. Cha-ching….the penny dropped and he was on board. I then had to approach the other family about this change in plans. I had been going to say that if they wanted to stay with June then we would too but Donny was 100% SOLD on the new deal and said if they didn’t want to change dates then that was their tough cheese (oooh don’t you just love a masterful fellow). They hummed and hawed and eventually we booked and they stuck with June (yay). We got a deal on our flights which was so good that, even taking into account the fact that we’d lost the deposit for the fly-drive, we still came out on top RESULT!!! Jo and Boyd (yes, remember them from about 100years ago in this saga) got their villa booking changed and that was us all sorted, it even meant that we’d all be together in WDW for Cayla’s birthday (double YAYA). Our Trip dates were now set for Friday 31July to Saturday 15August, first two nights were to be at pop then we would move to OKW FOR FREE-DINING-A-GO-GO AND A 14DAY ULTIMATE TICKET.

Phew, bet you’re all glad that bit’s over. Once we were all booked up I went into planning overdrive and spent any free time I had plotting, planning and counting down as though the future of the planet depended on it.

The information on what plans were made and what actually came to pass will be revealed in due course but I have to pat you on the back for getting thus far in my tr and assure you it will get better (hopefully) so please don’t hit un-subscribe just yet folks.

SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:- I must warn you in advance that I blether for miles, have a tendancy to go off at tangent, use Scottish slang (though I will translate once I read over what I've written) and the photo service will be a tad intermittant. If you're still up for it, I'd love to share my wonderful trip with you.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:49 PM   #2
terri910
Earning My Ears

I'm definitely "up for it"!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-24-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
2ScottishPrincesses
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by terri910 View Post
I'm definitely "up for it"!

Yay Terri , welcome aboard and please bear with me and my rambeling.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:15 PM   #4
winkers
I was stuck in that position and ... It took 4 strapping young boys to hoist me back on my feet
Personally, I'm a popper! I love me some black heads.

I quite enjoy your blethering (was that a correct use)!
Old 08-24-2009, 02:21 PM   #5
2ScottishPrincesses
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkers View Post
I quite enjoy your blethering (was that a correct use)!
Cherie I love a good auld chinwag with you honey
Old 08-24-2009, 02:32 PM   #6
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Third! Bring it baybee!

And I need photos in every update!

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

Old 08-24-2009, 02:37 PM   #7
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

To me there can never be too much "bleethering". My trip reports are always littered with lots of details and then we start chit chatting like old friends. Looking forward to reading more.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 08-24-2009, 02:47 PM   #8
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Oh and Scottish slang!

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

Old 08-24-2009, 03:40 PM   #9
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

Hey you, you need to pimp this out and let us know you've started!!!!

Can't wait to read all about your holiday
Old 08-24-2009, 03:51 PM   #10
cjackearl
DIS Veteran

Can I tag along? Your trip sounds to be tons o' fun, and I'm a big supporter of tangents, "blethering" and Scottish slang!!
Old 08-24-2009, 05:05 PM   #12
ellajeansmom
Mouseketeer

Couldn't pass up the title and I will definitely not be put off by tangents, blethering or Scottish slang

Looking forward to more!
Old 08-24-2009, 08:01 PM   #13
pooh'smate
My ticker is actually a day off

I am here!!!!! I am so excited you started your tr. I too love your blethering.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:19 PM   #14
vamassey1
DIS Veteran

Yah!! Kristeen you started your report! I love it and I love details!!!

April 83- Choir trip offsite
Sept 99- Hilton Hotel Plaza
March 02-Movies
Thanksgiving 02-Marriott Hotel Plaza
Mardi Gras 04-Movies
New Years 06-POP
May 07-POP
June 09-POP
Mardi Gras 10-POFQ
Mardi Gras 12-PORS
Old 08-25-2009, 12:09 AM   #15
winkers
I was stuck in that position and ... It took 4 strapping young boys to hoist me back on my feet
Personally, I'm a popper! I love me some black heads.

Did you wear your white trash shoes while you were there?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: