Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2009, 09:31 AM   #1
Bete
DIS Veteran

Question So, how many of you have used your Disney Time Share Points for ABD?

I'm just curious if there are more people using their points to enjoy a ABD vacation or do most people pay OOP completely.

Can you use part points and pay the difference in cash or is all or nothing? Can you book one person with the points and pay cash for the rest, etc? How does all of this work, please?

Did you find it easy or hard to use your points this way?
Bete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
mikeb1982
Earning My Ears

We paid for part of our trip with DVC points. As far as I understand you have the pay a full persons fare with points...that is to say you cant pay part cash and part points on the same person. We however did pay for one person with points and another with cash.
mikeb1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
DopeyDave
Earned one Ear, working on my second!

We did the same thing for our upcoming Viva Italia tour in September. Used DVC points for one tour, and cash for the second. The drawback to doing this, you need to pay the cash portion in full. I believe if you're paying cash for all the participants, you can do a payment plan.

We're also planning to use DVC points for our Disneyland Paris hotel which we're going to add on after the Italy tour.

First Disney Adventure: WaltDisneyWorld Preview Center - 1969 (I've been hooked ever since!)
Next Disney Adventure: Food & Wine Festival (Sep '14-BLT)
Previous Disney Adventures: Hilton Head Island Resort (May '12), DVC Member Cruise/Food & Wine (Sep/Oct '11), Viva Italia ABD (Sep '09) to name a few!

DopeyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:38 AM   #4
Judyat
Mouseketeer

We also used our DVC points for both of us. We could do that with the early booking but wouldn't have had enough for regular booking. I considered having some points transferred from someone which is an option. The points seem to increase quite a bit from year to year at least way more than any other points choice.
Judyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:41 AM   #5
cindy18
DIS Veteran

We used points for half and cash for half (two people each). You do have to pay the cash balance in full at the time you use the points, but they transferred the cash deposit for the point people over to the cash people which eased the cash burden more. It worked extremely smoothly.
cindy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:43 AM   #6
JsMom2
DIS Veteran

I booked our upcoming trip last August and got the early booking discount. I didn't want to book using points at that time, because of all the restrictions. However, I just called DVC and transferred the res to them. I was able to keep the early booking prices (even though we're traveling in June) and when I asked about keeping the $100 per person repeat guest discount, they gave me 40 points off per person (total of 80 point discount ) - even though I paid for one person with cash, and the other with points!
Old 03-27-2009, 03:04 PM   #7
granolacruncher11
Mouseketeer

Where would I find all the information regarding how many points and/or price per person?
Old 03-28-2009, 01:27 PM   #8
Judyat
Mouseketeer

Log on to dvcmember.com and you can get a chart there from Adventures by Disney that shows points needed for each trip. You can also call the Disney vacation club. If you have a particular trip it's good to call Adventures by Disney to see what dates are early booking. The DVC doesn't have that information. Also some trips may say they don't have early booking but if you call Adventures by Disney they can tell you if they do. I just booked a trip using vacation points and did an early booking date. I didn't have enough points to do regular booking so I was very happy to get an early booking date. I also considered having someone transfer points to me but was glad that I didn't have to do that. I hope this helps. Good luck.
Judyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:14 AM   #9
Siliobear
Mouseketeer

Special promo offer

We've been a charter DVC member since its inception. We attended a sales presentation where they had special incentives to buy additional points. Originally we just came for the free food, but walked away with the premium offer, which included any two free ABD trips, two premium annual passes to Disneyland and an overnight stay at the Mickey Suite at the Disneyland Hotel. We'll be paying for our purchase of additional points "for the rest of our life" but we know we'll get our money's worth of vacation memories over the next 50 years.

This summer, we booked four ABD trips to China via DVC (2 free trips plus 2 paid for by borrowing and banking points). Since I like to travel, I figured what we spent by upping our DVC investment will pay for itself after 5-10 ABD trips for our family of four.
Siliobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:29 AM   #10
mantismad
Mouseketeer

We have used 914 DVC points for us both to go on the Switzerland and Italy Alpine magic adventure.
mantismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:50 AM   #11
Tahitian Traveler
PARTY OF FOUR

Tahitian Traveler

To Siliobear, could I trouble you to give me a little bit more information on how you pulled this off. The incentives you received were great! I plan to join the DVC in about a week with the grand californina being my home base. I know you said you added points to your existing dvc membership but did you reach the 1000 pt mark. how did you get those perks?
Tahitian Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 03:37 AM   #12
Siliobear
Mouseketeer

We have been a long-time existing DVC member and was on their mailing list for a special meeting held at Disneyland Hotel (we live in LA, an hour away). The more points you added, the sweeter the deal. We added 500 pts to get all those perks. It was a special one-time offer (so they say). Once you're a member, they send different promos all the time.
Siliobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 06:10 PM   #13
Brancaneve
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siliobear View Post
We've been a charter DVC member since its inception. We attended a sales presentation where they had special incentives to buy additional points. Originally we just came for the free food, but walked away with the premium offer, which included any two free ABD trips, two premium annual passes to Disneyland and an overnight stay at the Mickey Suite at the Disneyland Hotel. We'll be paying for our purchase of additional points "for the rest of our life" but we know we'll get our money's worth of vacation memories over the next 50 years.

This summer, we booked four ABD trips to China via DVC (2 free trips plus 2 paid for by borrowing and banking points). Since I like to travel, I figured what we spent by upping our DVC investment will pay for itself after 5-10 ABD trips for our family of four.

Hot dog! How many points did you have to purchase to get that premium offer? I couldn't pass that up either? Did you purchase the VGC contract?
Old 05-18-2009, 07:42 PM   #14
grumpy-1
DVC member since 2/92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siliobear View Post

Hi,
I am curious about the term "Charter DVC members." We are DVC members, and I have never heard the term Charter Members. Can you please tell me what that is? Is there a way that I might become a charter member?
Thank you.
grumpy-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:33 PM   #15
eva
Often uses her unique ability to shut down threads.

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy-1 View Post
Hi,
I am curious about the term "Charter DVC members." We are DVC members, and I have never heard the term Charter Members. Can you please tell me what that is? Is there a way that I might become a charter member?
Thank you.
True DVC Charter Members are members that joined when DVC began back in 1991/1992. But if you purchase into a new resort in the first month of sells you are a charter member for that resort.

We used DVC points for Viva Itlia last fall. We got early booking in low season. I felt it was a pretty good deal.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: