Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2009, 09:08 AM   #1
mrstbalt
Mouseketeer

St Croix news article

I was searching for any additional pictures or articles besides the ones posted here on the boards and I came across this.
It's from a local newspaper from the islands. Don't know if anyone has seen this yet. We are not going on this cruise until December. That is lots of time for improvements.

http://www.virginislandsdailynews.co...me?id=17632535
Old 02-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #2
sftnslky
**May every day be filled with Magical memories**

Cool

Wow it sounds like is was really bad...I personally haven't read any cruise reports about the bad service, but since we are going in Sept I might start. I also found this quote in the artical very interesting.."after the commissioner met with Disney officials, she and Gov. John Dejongh Jr. sat down with everyone involved in the tourist industry on St. Croix - taxi drivers, tour operators, shop owners and vendors. "We had a very candid discussion...She said the message was well-received and most people understood that the criticism was NOT coming from the government or the department, BUT cruise passengers themselves.

I might be reading to much into this statement, but it sounds to me as if they are throwing the cruise passengers under the bus so to speak??? Thanks again for posting this articel.

sftnslky is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2009, 09:51 AM   #3
jezebella
MK fireworks in my backyard every night!

The ppl of St. Croix were very nice and when we were there last week, they had local news crews down at the dock reporting on the Magic returning. I think the problem with St. Croix is that there's really nothing there. The comparison between it and St. Thomas is huge!!!

July 1985 Contemporary
July 1990 Carribean BeachJuly 1993 Port OrleansJuly 1994, February 1995, July 1995, February 1996, July 1996, February 1997, July 1997 July 1998, July 1999 December 1999 - Old Key West
January 2000 Grand Floridian
May 2005 - Wonder 4 day
May 2007 - Wonder 4 day
October 2007 - Wonder 4 day
January 2009 Magic!
Coming up...Bounceback 3 day Wonder in August 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
jezebella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:53 AM   #4
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Wow. Cruise ships have been calling on St. Croix for a long time. My first three cruises, in 1980, 1983 and 1984 called there. You'd think they'd know how to handle cruise ship passengers.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:01 AM   #5
mrstbalt
Mouseketeer

I just don't think they were as prepared as they should have been or thought they were. Regardless of where the criticism came from, hopefully it's a learning experience for everyone involved and will make things better as time goes on. Customer service is part of what will bring people back. People should research the places they will be traveling, so they know what to expect. Ok off to work.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:30 AM   #6
brucechase
DIS Veteran

I chalk this up to what makes the Disney experience a little better than most.

If people aren't happy, then Disney will try to correct that problem. I just wonder if other cruise lines would (or did) take their customer's complaints to heart and try to correct that problem.

2nd Trip Report - I need a round tuit.

I NEED A NEW CRUISE SO I CAN PUT A COUNTDOWN CLOCK HERE!
brucechase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:46 AM   #7
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Wow. Cruise ships have been calling on St. Croix for a long time. My first three cruises, in 1980, 1983 and 1984 called there. You'd think they'd know how to handle cruise ship passengers.
but it has been at least 3 years since a cruise ship has stopped here. The Jan 3 sailing of the Magic was the first ship in years to stop - they (St. Croix Tourism) are out of practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstbalt View Post
I just don't think they were as prepared as they should have been or thought they were. Regardless of where the criticism came from, hopefully it's a learning experience for everyone involved and will make things better as time goes on. Customer service is part of what will bring people back. People should research the places they will be traveling, so they know what to expect. Ok off to work.
I agree that they were not as prepared as they could have been - but we were the first ship to stop there. Taking tourists on excursions from a ship is different than land based tourists. - Time constraints are real in dealing with cruisers - not so much for the land based tourists. Part of the "problem" was that some of the tours had moring and afternoon departures and the morning tours ran long so the afternoon tours were cancelled - good if you were on the morning excursion - and bad if you were on the afternoon one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucechase View Post
I chalk this up to what makes the Disney experience a little better than most.

If people aren't happy, then Disney will try to correct that problem. I just wonder if other cruise lines would (or did) take their customer's complaints to heart and try to correct that problem.
I don't know if any other ship has stopped there yet this year - if not then when they do they will have benefited from DCL's experience and working with the tourism folks on St. Croix.
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:52 AM   #8
KJF
I remember thinking it was "cool" to carry a big comb in your back pocket for your feather-cut hairstyle!

We docked at St. Croix on a Carnival Cruise in 1999 - I thought I heard though right after that the cruise lines stopped going there. I thought it was due to safety issues? I know there wasn't much back then when we went. We did snorkling, which was a total disappointment, esp since it was our first time ever doing it. Luckily, we did try it again in St. Thomas the next year & loved it.
KJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:55 AM   #9
plutojudy
Needs sunshine and seas.

We were on the first cruise there, Jan 3, the people were all very nice. Even prior to our cruise I did not feel that Disney "did their homework". Their Shopping in Paradise map had nothing on it. In fact the shopping girl told us not to shop in St Croix. We had a map of Christiansted that we received in the mail. It showed places to shop and we did. We bought a CD at Riddim's Music and I bought a Caribbean Hook bracelet at the Silver Angel. If we had more time we would have shopped more. We only had an hour there and some of the people on our tour were whinners. Our tour bus driver was very informative and we enjoyed the sights he showed us.

Cruise # 13 - Magic - February 22, 2015

Disney Wonder - 2000 Nassau, 2001 Nassau, Freeport, 2011 Alaska: Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan
Disney Magic - 2002 Eastern, St Martin, St Thomas, St John 2003 Western Mystery cruise, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Key West, 2004 Western, Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, 2007 Eastern, St Martin, St Thomas, 2009 Eastern, St Croix, St Thomas 2010 Eastern, St Martin, St Thomas, St John
Disney Dream -2012 Nassau
Disney Fantasy - 2013 Eastern, St Thomas, San Juan 2014 Western, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Falmouth, Jamaica
Disneyland Hotel, Fort Wilderness Home, Yacht and Beach Club, Caribbean Beach, Dixie Landings, All Star Movie, Pop Century, Port Orleans Riverside, All Star Music, Art of Animation
plutojudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:40 PM   #10
mrstbalt
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJF View Post
We docked at St. Croix on a Carnival Cruise in 1999 - I thought I heard though right after that the cruise lines stopped going there. I thought it was due to safety issues? I know there wasn't much back then when we went. We did snorkling, which was a total disappointment, esp since it was our first time ever doing it. Luckily, we did try it again in St. Thomas the next year & loved it.
Where did you snorkel? We were looking at going to Buck Island and there was also some 4x4 jeep tour with a stop somewhere that looked interesting.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: