Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2009, 10:55 AM   #1
tiggerlover
Still waiting for "the talk"
I do like an occasional bowl of Lucky Charms
Mom, why do these pancakes taste like Downey?
Shares her tarts

Looking for something different...

We are going on our 7th trip to WDW this summer and I am looking for some different ideas. DS (13) and myself (42) are Disney lovers, DH (43) prefers a different vacation destination. In fact, after our last trip in 2007 DH stated he would prefer not to come back again, however, they came up with that fantastic offer for the military and DH was the one who said it was too good of a deal to pass up. So.....I would like to come up with some new and different things to do for this trip so it isn't the same thing once again for him. We are trying to get ressies for Hoop De Doo and the Fantasmic Dinner Package (haven't been to MGM since 2002) and for the first time we will be taking in the water parks. If you have any thoughts or idea's or little known things to do I would love to hear what you have to suggest.

Thanks!

*~*~*~*~*Weight Watchers*~*~*~*~*
51.4 pounds lost since beginning WISH 2/18/03
70 pounds lost since Sept. 2002
Regained 24.4 lbs., 7/25/06
Lost the weight and made WW Lifetime - 5/24/07

UPDATE
5/24/11 *** 4 years at goal and currently 10 pounds under, total weight loss to date, 70 pounds.
tiggerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:57 AM   #2
tiggerlover
Shares her tarts

Ooops, forgot to subscribe to this thread.

UPDATE
5/24/11 *** 4 years at goal and currently 10 pounds under, total weight loss to date, 70 pounds.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
jheigl
Spaceship Earth Junky

I hear the Behind the Seeds tour at Epcot's The Land pavillion is somewhat interesting, at least if you and everyone in your party would be interested in how they grow things and the new, innovative ways in which they produce them... not to mention I think it is about $10/ person and takes about 30-60 minutes? Also, some of the other tours I hear are great, but they can be pricey. I'm a SCUBA diver, so I dive in the Seas pavillion, but if you aren't a certified diver, you can snorkel on the top of the water. Just some ideas, but these can be costly. Also, maybe if you try to incorporate finding the hidden mickey's that are on just about every ride (or quite a few of them), it could sort of add a little bit of a game to your stay.

"Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time, and for a brief moment, we have been among its' many passengers. From the very beginning, we have always sought to reach out to one another...to bridge the gaps between us...to communicate."
-Jeremy Irons, Spaceship Earth, 1994-2007
"The secret of tomorrow, is to live your dreams today;REMEMBER THE MAGIC"

interactiveWDW.com the web's newest WDW resource.
jheigl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:34 PM   #4
ChelleinNC
Say "Hi" to Art the Greeter for me!

What sort of vacation would your DH like? If it weren't for the special deal, where would he have wanted to go? what would he have wanted to do? Is he a fisherman? Schedule a fishing trip on Bay Lake for him. Golf? We love playing golf at Disney!

We like to spend time relaxing at our resort, reading by the pool, playing golf & tennis All of which can be done as a family, couple or by yourself (except tennis ) Don't feel bad about splitting up, if you & DS want to go to a park; let DH go play golf (or whatever). Everyone will be happier when they get to do what they want. Meet up later for a great dinner, share your day & still have some family time.

Disney has things to offer for everyone, it's just a matter of figuring out what you want to do

Next Trip-???? December 2012 Planning is half the fun! That's why I do it for a living
SSR June 2010, Sweet 16 @ HHI Nov 09,July 09-BCV & DCL,Nov/Dec 08-OKW,Oct O8-HHI June 08-SSR, Dec 07- BWV, June, 07- SSR, Aug, 06- Beach Club, April 04-HHI, Oct 03- Swan/Wilderness Lodge, Dec, 02- Beach Club/Poly, June, 02- Beach Club, Dec, 01- Beach Club,-- Time Warp (Day trips only) --, Oct, 1991- Disney Cruise (Big Red Boat)/Polynesian [Honeymoon!], Summer 1990- MKCP!, 1987- Off Site, 1983- Off Site
ChelleinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
Dr.Bombay
Earning My Ears

If you haven't seen the Cirque de Soleil show yet, that would be a special treat.
Dr.Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
tiggerlover
Shares her tarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelleinNC View Post
What sort of vacation would your DH like? If it weren't for the special deal, where would he have wanted to go? what would he have wanted to do? Is he a fisherman? Schedule a fishing trip on Bay Lake for him. Golf? We love playing golf at Disney!

We like to spend time relaxing at our resort, reading by the pool, playing golf & tennis All of which can be done as a family, couple or by yourself (except tennis ) Don't feel bad about splitting up, if you & DS want to go to a park; let DH go play golf (or whatever). Everyone will be happier when they get to do what they want. Meet up later for a great dinner, share your day & still have some family time.

Disney has things to offer for everyone, it's just a matter of figuring out what you want to do
DH loves to golf, now that may be an idea! We are staying at Shades of Green and I believe there is a golf course right there. I will have to do a little research, thanks.

Cirque would be something I would like to see, but I am not too sure DH would like to do it.

I was also looking for different things to do in the parks or DTD that are different too.

Thanks.

UPDATE
Old 02-01-2009, 01:14 PM   #7
dizzydina
Disney Princess

The mini-golf courses are very fun, if you want to do something together.

House of Blues in DTD is great, we love listening to the live music. They usually have a (free!) live act on the porch, and there is usually a show in the music hall every night. Just look up to see if anything interests you! The local acts usually only charge 10 dollars or so.
dizzydina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:14 PM   #8
tripletots
DIS Veteran

We've been three times in the past 3 years. For us doing something different means on our second trip we bought the hidden mickeys book and went in search of Mickey heads through the parks and hotels, really everywhere. This past year we did pin trading. They really enjoyed that a lot! I bought some pins off of ebay prior to our trip for trading. It was a blast. My husband and I even had to get in on the action. There is a thread somewhere here about Disney's best kept secrets and we also went in search of those things like the bench in front of Tonys Town Square in MK. The bench has goofy sitting there and when you sit beside him he'll surprise you. There is also a five legged ram on the mosaic wall in the Contempory hotel. That was lots of fun finding it. We also did a trip to Celebration for pizza and ice cream and a stroll around the lake.

. .
tripletots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:27 PM   #9
ChelleinNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerlover View Post
DH loves to golf, now that may be an idea! We are staying at Shades of Green and I believe there is a golf course right there. I will have to do a little research, thanks.

Cirque would be something I would like to see, but I am not too sure DH would like to do it.

I was also looking for different things to do in the parks or DTD that are different too.

Thanks.
There are 2 courses right behind SOG, which would be very convenient. The Palm & The Magnolia. The PGA plays on them for their tour event in the fall and they're both really nice courses. I prefer Magnolia, because I like Magnolia trees and there is the famous Mickey Bunker (a sand bunker on a par 3 shaped like a hidden Mickey).

Next Trip-???? December 2012 Planning is half the fun! That's why I do it for a living
SSR June 2010, Sweet 16 @ HHI Nov 09,July 09-BCV & DCL,Nov/Dec 08-OKW,Oct O8-HHI June 08-SSR, Dec 07- BWV, June, 07- SSR, Aug, 06- Beach Club, April 04-HHI, Oct 03- Swan/Wilderness Lodge, Dec, 02- Beach Club/Poly, June, 02- Beach Club, Dec, 01- Beach Club,-- Time Warp (Day trips only) --, Oct, 1991- Disney Cruise (Big Red Boat)/Polynesian [Honeymoon!], Summer 1990- MKCP!, 1987- Off Site, 1983- Off Site
Old 02-01-2009, 02:57 PM   #10
chepic
I tear up whenever I hear "Welcome Home." Some people say I have "issues."

Our neighbor and husband took the Epcot behind the scenes tour with those standing up people moving machines, and they had a blast. I don't know what it costs, but she found the entire experience to be an A+

My husband did the Richard Petty driving experience and was thrilled, tells people it is the best ride in Disney.

Also, we always try to rent a water craft of one type or another and spend some time out on the waterways. You can also book a fishing tour for the day.

Good luck
Cheryl
Old 02-01-2009, 03:09 PM   #11
ChelleinNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chepic View Post
Our neighbor and husband took the Epcot behind the scenes tour with those standing up people moving machines, and they had a blast. I don't know what it costs, but she found the entire experience to be an A+

Good luck
Cheryl
That would be the Segway tour If you don't want to spend the money on the tour, they do have a brief trial/introduction to the Segways in Innoventions West that is free (and a lot of fun to try). You have to be 16 or older to ride a Segway.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:12 PM   #12
tiggerlover
Shares her tarts

Great ideas, keep 'em coming!

Thanks!

UPDATE
Old 02-01-2009, 06:28 PM   #13
ms*mountaineer
DIS Veteran

I was going to suggest the Segway tour at Epcot too! I think the Richard Petty driving experience is a good idea too.
ms*mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:39 PM   #14
squirrel
DIS Veteran

Chip and Dale's Sing a long and Movie at the Camgrounds. You can also roast marshmellows and make Smores.
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:01 PM   #15
tiggerlover
Shares her tarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
Chip and Dale's Sing a long and Movie at the Camgrounds. You can also roast marshmellows and make Smores.
Is this open to anyone or just guests staying at the campground? If it is open to everyone is there somewhere I can go to get more information?

Thanks.

UPDATE

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: