Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2009, 01:44 PM   #1
swanmom
Victoria and Alberts - Hands Down
Some people got a lot more time than they have sense
Was that a Sonic Boom or is my DH ironing again?

OMG! Big opportunity for DD !

Just had to share. DD has been given the opportunity to participate in a Master Class with Marc Shaiman - the Tony and Grammy Award winner for Hairspray!

The invitees were chosen from last summer's musical theater conservatory program at our State Theater. Fifteen teens will be permitted to sing for him and get the benefit of his coaching, advice, and constructive criticism. Another 25 will be allowed to audit and watch but not sing. DD has one of the 15 singing spots! How cool is that!

If you're not all that familiar with musical theater, here's some info on Marc Shaiman. You can see why I am so, so excited for her.

Marc Shaiman won both a Tony and a Grammy Award for the score to the smash hit Broadway Musical HAIRSPRAY.

He has been nominated for The Academy Award five times, for the films Sleepless In Seattle, The American President, The First Wives Club, Patch Adams, and South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut. In 2002, Marc was honored with the "Hollywood Outstanding Achievement in Music-In-Film" award at the 69th annual Hollywood Film Festival.

Marc has composed, adapted and arranged music, served as music supervisor and written lyrics for over 40 other films, including When Harry Met Sally, Beaches, Sister Act, City Slickers, The Addams Family, A Few Good Men, In & Out and George of The Jungle.

He started his career as Vocal Arranger for Bette Midler, eventually becoming her Musical Director and Co-Producer. His instincts, his ear and the fact that he is still a Bette Midler fanatic have enabled him to find and bring her the Grammy winning songs "Wind Beneath My Wings" and "From A Distance". But it is their collaboration on her Emmy Award winning performance for the penultimate Tonight Show with Johnny Carson which will always remain the highlight.

As musical director, producer or arranger, Mr. Shaiman has worked with a shocking variety of performers including: Peter Allen, Eric Clapton, Rosemary Clooney, Harry Connick Jr., Billy Crystal, The Harlettes, Lauryn Hill, Jennifer Holliday, Nathan Lane, Jenifer Lewis, Darlene Love, Patti LuPone, Andrea Martin, Lonette McKee, Bette Midler, Catherine O'Hara, Martin Short, Barbra Streisand, Donald Trump (!), Luther Vandross, Robin Williams and Raquel Welch!
swanmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
NY Disney fan
DIS Veteran

Wow that is impressive! Congrats to your daughter
NY Disney fan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
cheermom1
He NEVER EVER takes them out in public
I am not crazy just a spaz!

How Awesome for her dd she do a great job!!!

cheermom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:56 PM   #4
CapeCodTenor
Born on a small planet around Alpha Centauri and immigrated to Roswell, N.M. in 1947 with my parents.
Was a man last time I checked
I can fart with my back

That's awesome!!!!
Old 02-06-2009, 01:57 PM   #5
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

You must be so proud! Dd12 is into theater, and just finished up a local community production.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:05 PM   #6
sharonW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanmom View Post
Just had to share. DD has been given the opportunity to participate in a Master Class with Marc Shaiman - the Tony and Grammy Award winner for Hairspray!

The invitees were chosen from last summer's musical theater conservatory program at our State Theater. Fifteen teens will be permitted to sing for him and get the benefit of his coaching, advice, and constructive criticism. Another 25 will be allowed to audit and watch but not sing. DD has one of the 15 singing spots! How cool is that!

If you're not all that familiar with musical theater, here's some info on Marc Shaiman. You can see why I am so, so excited for her.

Marc Shaiman won both a Tony and a Grammy Award for the score to the smash hit Broadway Musical HAIRSPRAY.

He has been nominated for The Academy Award five times, for the films Sleepless In Seattle, The American President, The First Wives Club, Patch Adams, and South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut. In 2002, Marc was honored with the "Hollywood Outstanding Achievement in Music-In-Film" award at the 69th annual Hollywood Film Festival.

Marc has composed, adapted and arranged music, served as music supervisor and written lyrics for over 40 other films, including When Harry Met Sally, Beaches, Sister Act, City Slickers, The Addams Family, A Few Good Men, In & Out and George of The Jungle.

He started his career as Vocal Arranger for Bette Midler, eventually becoming her Musical Director and Co-Producer. His instincts, his ear and the fact that he is still a Bette Midler fanatic have enabled him to find and bring her the Grammy winning songs "Wind Beneath My Wings" and "From A Distance". But it is their collaboration on her Emmy Award winning performance for the penultimate Tonight Show with Johnny Carson which will always remain the highlight.

As musical director, producer or arranger, Mr. Shaiman has worked with a shocking variety of performers including: Peter Allen, Eric Clapton, Rosemary Clooney, Harry Connick Jr., Billy Crystal, The Harlettes, Lauryn Hill, Jennifer Holliday, Nathan Lane, Jenifer Lewis, Darlene Love, Patti LuPone, Andrea Martin, Lonette McKee, Bette Midler, Catherine O'Hara, Martin Short, Barbra Streisand, Donald Trump (!), Luther Vandross, Robin Williams and Raquel Welch!
Thats GREAT!!! Your not talking about the State Theatre
in Easton, pa. are you?
sharonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:06 AM   #7
swanmom

No, Sharon. This is actually at the Paper Mill Playhouse in Millburn, NJ which is designated at the State theater of New Jersey.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:11 AM   #8
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanmom View Post
No, Sharon. This is actually at the Paper Mill Playhouse in Millburn, NJ which is designated at the State theater of New Jersey.
Dd is going to audition for their camp this summer - my next door neighbor participated in it last year.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:35 PM   #9
swanmom

mjkacmom,
Sent you a pm about Paper Mill.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: