Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2009, 06:37 AM   #1
raph_b
Proud Redhead

My First Ever Trip Report - Day 6 - Part 1 - The Day

I've done this in 2 parts, as there is so much I wanted to write, but lots of content = lots of time and I know a few people who, well lets just say they aren't the most patient people in the world , so I thought I'd get the first part up asap

The pre-trip can be found here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1850893

and the earlier installments:

Day 1

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1982340

Day 2

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1985151

Day 3

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1991243

Day 4

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2012346

Day 5

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2057774

Day 6 - Part 1 - The Day

So - the big day had finally arrived! 10 months in planning and it was finally here!

We had a bit of a lay in today, as we were already ahead of our schedule - today the spreadsheet told us to go to Aquatica but we had managed to fit in an afternoon there on Friday (as avid readers will remember!) so Em had decided that today was a good chance to do some serious shopping followed by an afternoon at one of the Disney waterparks.

As we were getting ready I was thinking to myself that I really should be feeling more nervous, but I was surprisingly calm. Don't worry - some serious panic will kick in later

We decided to head over to the Premium Outlets which was about a 10 min drive from our hotel.

As we had the Brit's guide to Orlando we headed to guest relations to pick up our free discount booklet and my oh my, what a booklet it is! Usually those kind of things are pretty crappy but this one was brilliant, I cant remember exactly but I'm sure they were mostly along the lines of 15 - 25% further discount when you spend around $100 in store. Definitely worth getting. Although my Epcot t- shirt from the Disney store for $6 was the bargain of the day

However, this wasn't the best part of the day so far - Guest relations was in the food court, along side a Taco Bell!! Emilie was very excited about this, she is in love with Taco Bell!

Every day Em kept asking why we hadn't passed a Taco Bell anywhere - and we were starting to wonder if the sunshine state actually had any of these little Mexican paradises - but here we were, accidently walking right into a Taco Bell!

I love Taco Bell, its just so cheap, but so good. Tacos for 79 cents! I think I had a crunchwrap supreme and a volcano taco and Em had some kind of Chicken fiesta soft burrito. It all came to less than $5 - bargain.
Our luck in finally stumbling across a Taco Bell made me think today was going to be a good day.........

.........until it started pi55ing it down!

Yes, our day was going fine, I was nice and relaxed, there was no panicking, then it started torrentially raining! The only day on our whole trip it rained had to be the day I was planning to propose from the 18th floor of the Contemporary!

It wasn't just raining, the sky was totally grey and full of cloud Okay, it was time to panic a bit - was this a sign that I shouldn't ask her today? or was it a sign I shouldn't ask at all?! Ever the optimist, I decided to worry about this later - I had to maintain a cool exterior to make sure I didn't give anything away, so I put it to the back of my mind for now.

We decided that Blizzard Beach wouldn't be a great idea in this storm so we decided to head out to the Florida Mall. We had a look around but the main reason for going was to visit Abercrombie & Fitch We wanted to get home at a decent time so located Abercrombie and headed straight for it, as we thought we could return to this mall again before we left. An hour later, and about $400 lighter, we left A & F and headed home, to get ready for dinner at the California Grill. An hour in Abercrombie can really damage your ear drums - why oh why do they play their music so loud?!)

Em had been really excited about going to the CG since she first heard about it, as she absolutely loves sushi, and the sushi chef at the California grill is renowned as the top female sushi chef in the world, that combined with the fantastic views of MK and the surrounding area made this the perfect spot for the proposal.

On the way back we had to make a stop - now here is where I really thought the game would be given away. The ring was commissioned by White Flash and was delivered to a local Fed Ex for me to pick up. I figured this was the best way to ensure I had the ring for as little time as possible before the proposal. I told Em I needed to pick up tickets for the Halloween Horror Nights evening hence the reason for going to Fed Ex. She asked why they couldn't just send them to the hotel but I made up some nonsense about Universal only using Fed Ex.....

Anyway, I picked up the ring, and it was in a massive box, I'm talking 50cm x 50cm! a lot bigger than anticipated. it turns out they put the ring in a box inside another box inside another box for security reasons. It was kinda hard getting back into the car and explaining why our tickets had arrived in such a big box!

I had to think fast in the 10 seconds it took to get from the door to the car, and the best I could come up with was there was a free t shirt inside for us to wear. Not my finest work I admit, but it seemed to work!

We drove back to the hotel and the weather was still awful

When we got back was when I really started to panic, just before Em got into the shower she came up with a great suggestion

"Seeing as part of the reason we're going to the California Grill is for the view, shall we just cancel tonight and go somewhere else?"

I'll be honest with you - it wasn't really what I wanted to hear! the restaurant were all on board ready for the proposal plans and expecting us - we couldn't cancel!!!

I played a long with it a little bit, as I didn't want to make it obvious that we had to go there tonight. So I acted like we could go somewhere else but dropped in a few reminders of how good the sushi is supposed to be, and the fact we probably wouldn't be able to get another ADR later on etc. In the end my Jedi mind tricks worked and Em made the decision herself that we should still go there

So we got ready, I sneakily put the ring in my pocket and we got a taxi over to the California Grill.............

Sorry about the lack of pics. To make up for it, here a few of the ring (and don't worry, there are tons of pics of the evening!)

Day 6 - Part 2 - The evening is next up Will it go to plan? will the weather ruin our night? Will I have the courage to actually ask? Will she say no?

All these answers and more will be revealed in the next episode
Feb 1999 - DLRP - Sequoia Lodge (4 nights)
May 2007 - DLRP - Daytrip
Sep 2008 - WDW - Offsite (2 weeks)
Mar 2009 - DLRP - Hotel New York (3 nights)
Nov 2009 - DLHK - Daytrip
Sep 2010 - WDW - Last trip before its time to have babies!

Thank you O' great Tag Fairy - You have made this Proud Redhead a very happy bunny!!
raph_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:50 AM   #2
Jets fan
DIS Veteran

Fantastic start and absolutely gorgeous ring. Your comments are hilarious!

Cannot wait for part 2.

Tina
Jets fan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2009, 07:34 AM   #3
Snowy-girls
Did you speak to a 'human being'?
As you can see, all I have is a load of gobble-de-gook writing

CRAIG-you can't just leave it there ,i was on the edge of my seat .
You wait until Claire see's this .
Me not patient -never

Oh Craig,it all started so perfectly,i hope it ends like that /
Very quick thinking about a free t-shirt-i applaud you .
Ok i have never had a Taco Bell-what's the low down on it,what meat is it?.I always see the ads on the tv over there,but never been in one.
Can't wait for more Craig-please get part 2 up before i go to WDW .x.

Sweet Kitty Dreams La-La,Smudge,Sam+Max.Together Again.11:3:94-20:5:08.x.x.29:4:93-17:3:09.x.x.29:4:93-21:7:10.x.x.11:3:94-2:3:12.x.x.

NOV90Sheraton Anaheim CaliforniaSEP93Quality Inn I-DriveSEP95Holiday Inn I-DriveSEP97Castle Inn+Suites AnaheimSEP98-Best Western AnaheimAUG03Quality Inn I-DriveApr/May04Holiday Inn I-DriveApr09Embassy Suites I-Drive SouthApr11Quality Inn Plaza+Pop.Aug13Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,CSR+AKL With Free QSDP.AUG15Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,RPR+21 nights at OKW With Free DDP.
Snowy-girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
Tammy Stringer
I love babies - all milky and baby powdery
Do you knit, Barbara?
Up for the marquee option

Craig

Don't do this to us. After waiting weeks for "the day" you go and post in two parts - nooooooooo

Seriously though, I can't wait to read more. I am crossing my fingers that the weather improves and that everything goes to plan.

Must admit we found Taco Bell in 2006 and were seriously impressed with the choices and value for money - why can't we have them over here?

As an aside I love, love, love the engagement ring - how funny that it was in such a big box when you were trying to be so discreet.

Waiting patiently for part 2

Tammy
Tammy Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:46 AM   #5
The Fetherstons
DIS Veteran

Oh Craig 2 PARTS

We have been waiting so long and patiently for this cant wait for the next installment

Shame about the weather tho, I remember we were in HS that day and the rain started and called the parade off

I know what you mean about the A&F shop the music is so loud and there is a very strong scent of there Aftershave and perfume too

HURRY UP WE NEED TO READ MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MY ICE BUDDY IS MICHELLE - SNOWYGIRLS
Me (35) DH Craig (37) DS Adam (7)

1980 Disney0ff Site 1993/7 Disney Offsite, 2001 Honeymoon ASMusic
2005/6 ASMovies, 2007 Pop Century 2008 CBR, 2009 Tuscany Villa
The Fetherstons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:55 AM   #6
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

im as impatient as the rest of them

Hurry up with part 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:36 PM   #7
raph_b
Proud Redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets fan View Post
Fantastic start and absolutely gorgeous ring. Your comments are hilarious!

Cannot wait for part 2.

Tina
Thanks Tina I'll get on with Part 2 asap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy-girls View Post
CRAIG-you can't just leave it there ,i was on the edge of my seat .
You wait until Claire see's this .
Me not patient -never

Oh Craig,it all started so perfectly,i hope it ends like that /
Very quick thinking about a free t-shirt-i applaud you .
Ok i have never had a Taco Bell-what's the low down on it,what meat is it?.I always see the ads on the tv over there,but never been in one.
Can't wait for more Craig-please get part 2 up before i go to WDW .x.
Taco Bell is amazing, its a fast food place, like a McDonalds but for mexican food. If you like Mexican, you'll love it!

I promise part 2 will be up before you know it

Anyway - I did it 2 parts so you wouldn't have to wait so long! I just can't win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy Stringer View Post
Craig

Don't do this to us. After waiting weeks for "the day" you go and post in two parts - nooooooooo

Seriously though, I can't wait to read more. I am crossing my fingers that the weather improves and that everything goes to plan.

Must admit we found Taco Bell in 2006 and were seriously impressed with the choices and value for money - why can't we have them over here?

As an aside I love, love, love the engagement ring - how funny that it was in such a big box when you were trying to be so discreet.

Waiting patiently for part 2

Tammy
Apparently they used to have a few Taco Bells in England years ago but they closed down I'm thinking about applying for a franchise licence to open one up over

Thanks for the compliment on the ring - I did do a pretty good job if I do say so myself Although I did have some very helpful input from a few people here so thanks again!!

Part 2 will be here soon.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fetherstons View Post
Oh Craig 2 PARTS

We have been waiting so long and patiently for this cant wait for the next installment

Shame about the weather tho, I remember we were in HS that day and the rain started and called the parade off

I know what you mean about the A&F shop the music is so loud and there is a very strong scent of there Aftershave and perfume too

HURRY UP WE NEED TO READ MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That day was just so rubbish weather wise - where as the rest of the days were amazing werent they! Great day for me to pick!

I promise get part 2 up very soon!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalielongstaff View Post
im as impatient as the rest of them

Hurry up with part 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I get the message loud and clear!!

Thank you O' great Tag Fairy - You have made this Proud Redhead a very happy bunny!!
Old 02-06-2009, 02:15 PM   #8
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side
very impulsive, which doesn’t bode well for our credit cards!
They don't call me "Clever Claire" for nothing!

Craig, we need to have words!!!! I am soooo not impressed !!!!! You are just teasing us!

Fab start...can't believe it rained on your special day, but I bet now you can look back and laugh at how it all came together. (A similar thing happened on my wedding day, we paid to take 11 family members to the Bahamas to get married in a tropical paradise & it poured with rain all day. Then an hour before when the sun came out, dried everything & it all turned out perfect - these things are sent to try us. )

Now get on with the good bit!!

You wouldn't be talking about me being one of the impatient ones would you???

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - 14n WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - 12n EBTA, Sept 2014 - 14n WBTA, May 2015 - 15n EBTA, Sept 2015 - West Coast Road trip & Disneyland

Last edited by Pinky166; 02-06-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Pinky166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:46 PM   #9
gemmybear83
I would blame it all on Bob
Awww I love the first day
You could stay behind after your meal and have another drink

Argh I cant wait!!!! We need part 2!!
Old 02-06-2009, 04:23 PM   #10
sandshal
DIS Veteran

What a bloomin cliffhanger .... you should work for the BBC!!!!!!!!!
Offsite Disneyland Paris 1998, Davy Crockett Ranch, Disneyland Paris 2000, Sheraton Vistana Villages, Florida June 2003, Newport Bay Hotel, Disneyland Paris 2004, Manors North, Westridge 2006, Vistana Villages, Gulf Coast & HRH Oct 2007, Manors North, Westridge, Portofino Bay & HRH August 2008, Ginn Reunion & RPR August 2009, RCA NYC & Tuscany villa July 2011, Tuscany Villa & PBH July 2013, July/Aug 2014 NYC, Indian Creek Villa, HRH then back to NYC,
Oct 2014 week at Indian Oasis, Indian Creek

sandshal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:19 AM   #11
wicket2005
Hasn't got a clue what a tag is
Christmassyfyed, yes I have had a glass of wine judging by that spelling

Thanks for Craig for taking the time to post your report up, I enjoyed reading it. I know what you mean about A&F, I just ditch my menfolk in there and leave them to it.

Chipolte's is a mexican takeaway with sitting area restaurant, that sells really delicious burrittos. It is just a new company but uses well sourced and best meats, there are a few outlets in Orlando. You may like to try this on your next visit.

1996, 1998, 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008x2, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014
wicket2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:17 AM   #12
raph_b
Proud Redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky166 View Post
Craig, we need to have words!!!! I am soooo not impressed !!!!! You are just teasing us!

Fab start...can't believe it rained on your special day, but I bet now you can look back and laugh at how it all came together. (A similar thing happened on my wedding day, we paid to take 11 family members to the Bahamas to get married in a tropical paradise & it poured with rain all day. Then an hour before when the sun came out, dried everything & it all turned out perfect - these things are sent to try us. )

Now get on with the good bit!!

You wouldn't be talking about me being one of the impatient ones would you???
Its just unbelieveable that in the 2 weeks we were there the one day it rained was the only day we didn't want it too! I'm glad the sun came out in time for your wedding - stay tuned to see if the same happened for us

Claire - Would I ever dream of calling you impaitent?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemmybear83 View Post
Argh I cant wait!!!! We need part 2!!
Patience my dear, patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandshal View Post
What a bloomin cliffhanger .... you should work for the BBC!!!!!!!!!
I wouldn't mind a job on Hustle Wanna put in a good word for me?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicket2005 View Post
Thanks for Craig for taking the time to post your report up, I enjoyed reading it. I know what you mean about A&F, I just ditch my menfolk in there and leave them to it.

Chipolte's is a mexican takeaway with sitting area restaurant, that sells really delicious burrittos. It is just a new company but uses well sourced and best meats, there are a few outlets in Orlando. You may like to try this on your next visit.
I've heard of Chipolte's, it sounds amazing, thanks for the recommendation, next time we're out there I will definitely check it out. I love burritos

I just dont get A & F - Surely that music must drive more people out than keeping them in?!

Glad you're enjoying the report so far, thanks so much for all the kind words

Old 02-07-2009, 08:39 AM   #13
thelittlemermaid83
My reign will be a super-awesome thing
I will just live in suspense
I'm officially crazy

No fair! We want part 2 lol!!
thelittlemermaid83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:01 AM   #14
florida sun
Mrs Christopher Eccleston wannabe
Don't you know who I am ??? I was on Dr Who
I'm dizzy just reading

DISboards Moderator

Stunning Ring Cant wait for part 2

florida sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:35 AM   #15
tennisfan
Was told off for sliding down the banister at the SL
South Africa or California for me
Popped to the Boots

DISboards Moderator

How can you leave it there???? The ring is beautiful

Trips:
DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, October, 1994, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 1998, DLRP - Hotel New York, June, 1999, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 1999, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 2000, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 2001, Walt Disney Studios preview, February, 2002, DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, August, 2002, New York City, Easter 2004, DLRP - Hotel New York, August, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, November, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, September, 2005, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, Easter 2007, DLRP - Kyriad, June 2007 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2009 DLRP - Day trip, November 2009 New York City, February 2010 DLRP - Disneyland Hotel, June 2010 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, September 2010 Stratosphere Hotel, Las Vegas, October 2010 DLRP - Day trip, January 2011, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, August 2011, DLRP - Day trip, January 2012, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2012, DLRP - Santa Fe, November 2012,
tennisfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: