Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Collectors Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #31
Mindibellcm
DIS Veteran

Hi. I have had a couple of these sets sitting in my attic for several years and when we moved back in August, I told my husband I was selling them. They have been sitting in the corner of my room and I am finally online trying to figure out what they are worth. I was going to list them on ebay but would rather them go to another Disney fan. We bought them with the thought of doing a monorail theme in our son's room but we never got that far and as far as I know these have never been out of the box.

I have Dumbo and the Astro Orbiter.

I also have a few from Paradise Pier set but need to see what they are. PM if you are interested. If not I will work on posting on ebay.

Does anyone know where I can find out what they are worth?

Mindi

It was somagical, we went again this year and are going again next year!
Mindibellcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #32
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindibellcm View Post
Hi. I have had a couple of these sets sitting in my attic for several years and when we moved back in August, I told my husband I was selling them. They have been sitting in the corner of my room and I am finally online trying to figure out what they are worth. I was going to list them on ebay but would rather them go to another Disney fan. We bought them with the thought of doing a monorail theme in our son's room but we never got that far and as far as I know these have never been out of the box.

I have Dumbo and the Astro Orbiter.

I also have a few from Paradise Pier set but need to see what they are. PM if you are interested. If not I will work on posting on ebay.

Does anyone know where I can find out what they are worth?

Mindi
I think the only place to see what they are worth, is past Ebay sales. They are only "worth" what people will pay for them, of course. If they are really worth a lot, the auction will go up. But I would not list it low, in case not enough people see it. (People looking for stuff like this, usually get notified as soon as a matching item is listed). Just watch your keywords!

I may list mine, I thought I had Dumbo, but I don't see it in my basement. I will have to test the Astro-Orbitor, and that connection thing, and even the monorails. And put the other stuff together, to make sure everything is in order. (Sounds like fun!)
PatMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #33
HPCrazy
Mouseketeer

I'm so happy there is a topic for this! I've been a collector of the monorail items since 2003 in which I've purchased my very first monorail playset when we stayed at the Contemporary. Since then, I've been hooked and now have the following in my collection:

-H-O scale Main Street Station (retired)
-Contemporary Resort model
-Polynesian Resort model
-Disney Resort sign set (retired)
-Monorail yellow (my first set, no longer works and since retired)
-Monorail black
-Monorail blue (my first set with the removable roofs and the small characters)
-Walt Disney's Caroline Pacific (H-O scale train set replica of Walt's personal train)
-Miniature WDW Parking Tram set

I'm also hoping to maybe dive in and purchase the Sleeping Beauty's Castle playset from the Disney Store since it pretty much looks like the Anaheim castle. I'm not too impressed with the Cinderella Castle playset as it doesn't look entirely like the actual building. I hope they also bring back some of the other retired playsets as they have shown me it's possible with the reintroduction of the Polynesian. I'm "hoping" they'll bring back the Grand Floridian so I can also add that to my monorail line.

Here are some pics of my Christmas display from 2012 featuring most of my items with the exception of Monorail yellow:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3084316
Been a MAJOR fan of the Magic since June of 1989 (off-site), followed by: 6/95 (A-S Music), 1/99 (PO-FQ), 9/01 (A-S Movies), 9/02 (A-S Movies), 9/03 (Contemporary), 9/07 (A-S Movies), 9/10 (POP), 9/11 (A-S Music) and August 2013 at PO Riverside!
HPCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #34
94princesscnh
Earning My Ears

I also love to collect. I have test track, space mountain, Main Street and a bunch of other things really I jut need gf and some of the rides. I think Disney is probably going to bring them back slowly one at a time. Since they just brought out the Polynesian at Christmas time.
94princesscnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #35
HPCrazy
Mouseketeer

I definitely hope you're right about that. I'd love to have the Grand Floridian to "complete" my monorail line but I'm just not willing to pay eBay prices to snatch one up. I also wish they'd bring back some of the other items like the original Spaceship Earth, Astro Orbitor, Dumbo, H-O train, etc.
Been a MAJOR fan of the Magic since June of 1989 (off-site), followed by: 6/95 (A-S Music), 1/99 (PO-FQ), 9/01 (A-S Movies), 9/02 (A-S Movies), 9/03 (Contemporary), 9/07 (A-S Movies), 9/10 (POP), 9/11 (A-S Music) and August 2013 at PO Riverside!
HPCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #36
94princesscnh
Earning My Ears

Well they do have space mountain now. You can buy it online at the Disney store. I really hope they bring all of those back to because those are the ones I need to complete my set.
94princesscnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #37
Borishack
Mouseketeer

The one other accessory no one seems to have mentioned is the 1990s issued Disney HO scale Test track race set that was sourced by Lifelike. It is relatively rare (does not show up on ebay very often). Has two cars that are close to the originals, as well as accessories (hot/cold tunnel, lots of signage). Interestingly, one can scour the scores of videos on youtube of elaborate Disney monorail playset displays but you will never see one employing this set.

Last edited by Borishack; 01-06-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Borishack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:10 PM   #38
AdamSC
Earning My Ears

Smile Just Set Up My Monorail

We just got back from a holiday trip to the WDW

On Saturday, I pulled an old monorail set out of the basement and set it up (I have the black monorail and the switching station, but not enough track to make it too fun..)

The girls (7 and 12) loved it!

I went looking for new pieces and found the ridiculous prices on eBay (sometimes 3 times retail - same item on sale at the Disney store)

Bought a couple of items from the Disney store.

If anyone is interested in selling some pieces, I am willing to buy. I am not really a collector, I just want them to set them up and play with my kids. So it is not important that they are perfect or in the box, just playable. PM me if you are interested.
AdamSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:10 PM   #39
AdamSC
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamSC
We just got back from a holiday trip to the WDW…

On Saturday, I pulled an old monorail set out of the basement and set it up (I have the black monorail and the switching station, but not enough track to make it too fun..)

The girls (7 and 12) loved it!

I went looking for new pieces and found the ridiculous prices on eBay (sometimes 3 times retail - same item on sale at the Disney store)

Bought a couple of items from the Disney store.

If anyone is interested in selling some pieces, I am willing to buy. I am not really a collector, I just want them to set them up and play with my kids. So it is not important that they are perfect or in the box, just playable. PM me if you are interested.
Tcsta- tried to respond to your pm, but my post count is to low and it won't let me send. Sorry
AdamSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:16 PM   #40
tcsta
Earning My Ears

Adam - Check your PM's
tcsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:27 AM   #41
tigger1968
Earning My Ears

Current List of Monorail Playset Train Colors?

Does anyone have a list of the different color trains that have been issued so far? I had bought several a few years ago, and recently my love of Monorails has been rekindled and I am in a collecting mode again. I just can't seem to find a list of what color trains have been issued so far.

Thanks so much!
Old 03-17-2014, 08:40 PM   #42
boBQuincy
I am not carrying three pods
There's something about the smell of the chemicals that just shouts "Photography!"

I remember red was the original. After that was:
yellow
orange
blue
black
silver, not necessarily in that order.

There was also the Disneyland/California Adventure set which I think was blue?

The original red set did not have opening doors, that came later but I don't recall with which models. Radio control (but not a good one) is the most recent version afaik.

Modifications I have seen include higher speed, radio control (hobby grade, full proportional), and Monorail Silver's incredible fully automated conversion!

"Take the big pill, and go back to the SLR you know. Take the small micro 4/3 pill and you will never look at SLRs the same way again." a G3 and now a GX7. Photos at: suzieandbob.com

Our model monorail site: http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/

boBQuincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:35 PM   #43
shannon006
DIS Veteran

I am looking for any information on the original Spaceship Earth. How is it ? I know the monorail drives under it as opposed to the current version available. Does the original come with any accessories?
Old 03-20-2014, 11:52 AM   #44
386chad
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBQuincy View Post

Modifications I have seen include higher speed, radio control (hobby grade, full proportional), and Monorail Silver's incredible fully automated conversion!
You are right about the Monorail Silver mod. Michael Andrews is the one behind it. I did a series of posts on my blog no one reads that shows some of the assembly process. It is mylazyafternoon dot com. The latest post has a video that shows off some of what the system can do.

Does anyone know why you can't find the WDW playsets on Disneystore.com anymore?
386chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:13 PM   #45
386chad
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon006 View Post
I am looking for any information on the original Spaceship Earth. How is it ? I know the monorail drives under it as opposed to the current version available. Does the original come with any accessories?
I have the original Spaceship Earth in the video from my earlier post. Sorry, I'm new so it won't let me post direct links. Take a look and see if you have any questions.

Yes, the monorail drives under it as you can see in the video. It comes with 2 pieces of straight track. It's pretty awesome as far as I'm concerned. I don't like how the new one looks sorta janky the way it folds apart, plus the monorail playset doesn't integrate with it at all, drive under it, etc. I do not own that one though.

Last edited by 386chad; 03-20-2014 at 12:20 PM.
386chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: