Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #1
nana2tots
2Wild4Disney!Nana's 3 Gurls! our License Tags read, DISNEYKD & disnykd2!!!!!!!
Make no mistake, the Tag Fairies do exist. If you have any doubt, ask Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny!

Splash Mtn

Someone Plz help me, I am terrified of rollercoasters, My Dear Sweet Sandi would ride anything, lol, anyways me and the youngest GD really want to do SM, but she's a scared cat like me, but she agreed that if i would do it she would ride w/ me, and only me, tell me if you think i will survive it or not, My DD got me on the horrible one at Universal, can't think of ride, something monster, anyway i survived it, w/ closed eyes only. Help, oh the ride , i think, was Jurrassic Park, maybe

][/url]
nana2tots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:28 PM   #2
saratogadreamin09
Derek Jeter = <33333333

The good news is Splash Mountain is not a water ride where you get tossed around a lot and go down multiple hills. The only intense part of the ride is the big drop, the other 7 minutes is a really cute boat ride

I rode Splah Mountaina and HATED the drop, I fel I was going to fall out the whole time but thats just me. I think it depends on the person so I think you have to wait and try it for yourself

I think you'll be fine, good luck
saratogadreamin09 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-13-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
disneymayz
DIS Veteran

The drop is nothing like Jurrassic Park. It is fun. I am trying to get my DD6 to go on with me in June I explained it like the big slide at the park. She said she would go on.
May '99-Dixie Landings / Disney Cruise May '00-All-Star Music May '01-All-Star Movies June '03-All-Star Sports May '04-Off-site May '05-Pop Century May '06-Old Key West Dec. '07-All-Star Movies June '08-Disneyland Hotel / Grand Cali. / Paradise Pier June '09-AKV / All-Star Music / Saratoga Springs Resort Jan '10 - CBR / May '10 - Pop Century May '11 Pop / AKV / VWL Dec '11 OKW / BW/ All-Star Sports April '12 Polly Sep/Oct '12 VGC June'13 SSR/AKV/BCV/BLT Dec '13 All-star Sports Feb '14 Pop/CS/GFV/AKV May '14 ASMo
disneymayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:33 PM   #4
nana2tots
Make no mistake, the Tag Fairies do exist. If you have any doubt, ask Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny!

Thanks guys, I will have to think on this one, Yes that straight down big drop is what i'm scared of, wonder if they will let me off before the drop, lol

][/url]
Old 04-13-2009, 12:37 PM   #5
meghanlea
Ky Girls Loves Goofy

my DD who was 4 at the time rode it and LOVED it. She has ridden many smaller roller coasters and hates them. This is the one ride she can't stop talking about. I did have to put my arm around her b/c she is so light. There is a smaller drop before you get to the bigger one, but if you don't like it close your eyes and it's over in like 2 seconds.
meghanlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:38 PM   #6
Tomh
DIS Veteran

I say give it a try. I am a ride wimp, no doubt about it. I generally don't like roller coasters much at all, and the part I really dislike about them is the drop, which makes Splash a problem for me. I went on it with my DS4. Now, I'm not going to tell you that it was fun for me. The scenery is great, the dark drop inside is not so great (it isn't terribly big, but you can't see where you're going, or where the end is), and the big drop at the end isn't so great either. However, it isn't terrible, I survived it, and am willing to ride again with him this summer, so I think that you will handle it just fine. What I found is that as long as I don't let myself start to get nervous on the way up to the top (it's pretty easy to freak out and panic, at least for me) then the drop is tolerable.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:49 PM   #7
disneymayz
DIS Veteran

Travelwithrick.com just did his report on Splash Mountain. He makes it so you are riding the ride. It really shows exactly what the ride is.
May '99-Dixie Landings / Disney Cruise May '00-All-Star Music May '01-All-Star Movies June '03-All-Star Sports May '04-Off-site May '05-Pop Century May '06-Old Key West Dec. '07-All-Star Movies June '08-Disneyland Hotel / Grand Cali. / Paradise Pier June '09-AKV / All-Star Music / Saratoga Springs Resort Jan '10 - CBR / May '10 - Pop Century May '11 Pop / AKV / VWL Dec '11 OKW / BW/ All-Star Sports April '12 Polly Sep/Oct '12 VGC June'13 SSR/AKV/BCV/BLT Dec '13 All-star Sports Feb '14 Pop/CS/GFV/AKV May '14 ASMo
disneymayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
medicgirl911
Free dining here we come!!

I am trying to talk myself into riding it the first time this year
Hopefully you can conquer your fear so that your gd can maybe not grow up to be a ride chicken like us!!! Kids will pick up on you apprehension and anxiety, so try to be chill and go for it!!!
Oct 2007 @ CSR
August 26, 2009..scored a free ugrade to SSR!! Hopefully it will entice DH into buying DVC!!

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/v2vuewyfc1oa13om.png[/img]
medicgirl911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:57 PM   #9
nana2tots

I watched that, but it dosen't help my fear of that Big Drop, guess i will do the shut eye, my problem is i will be thinking about it the whole ride, and get my blood pressure going crazy, lol Dang , how can one ride that looks so Fun, be a pain in the booty

][/url]
Old 04-13-2009, 01:00 PM   #10
nana2tots

medicgirl911

You are so true, she is just like me, the other one is just like her Mom, ride anything. Guess i'll just have to get over it, but if i die going down, you all Plz remember i was a Chicken, lol

][/url]
Old 04-13-2009, 01:01 PM   #11
HdnMickeyGrl
Mouseketeer

My mother is the biggest chicken. She was terrified the whole 22 seconds of Goofy's Barnstormer. The ride was over and her eyes were closed and I had to tell her we were done and to get out of her seat. The four year old in front of us shouted "do it again!" She also can't handle the Star Tours simulator.

Most of Splash Mountain is just a calm, long dark ride. I got my mom the chicken on Splash Mountain two years ago. It is a long ride and there are a few smaller drops inside. If you can handle the Pirates drop and the Maelstrom drop you should be OK on the inside. When it get's to the end she just closes her eyes and squeeze my arm. But she had a blast the rest of the time and got to see a pretty spectacular dark ride. If my mom the chicken can ride Splash Mountain then anyone can! Now we ride every year. Except for next month because I can't ride it and she's too chicken to ride alone.

One warning, if you do not want to get wet wear a poncho. You can get them two for one at your local dollar store. We wear ponchos. I don't care how stupid we look. My idea of fun is not walking around with wet underwear for 6 hours. Also, somehow we typically don't get wet on the big drop, we do manage to get a massive splash right as soon as the ride starts... I'll explain: When you start the ride you scoot on out and around the corner in a briar patch. At this point you are maybe halfway up the mountain heightwise. If you time it right (and why would you want to?), and a log hits the big splashdown as you are going round the briar patch you actually catch their splash which flies up and hits you. I hope I'm making sense. This has happened to us more than once and I can tell you that if you are not interested in getting wet this can ruin the next 13 minutes.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 04-13-2009, 01:01 PM   #12
kytiam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana2tots View Post
Thanks guys, I will have to think on this one, Yes that straight down big drop is what i'm scared of, wonder if they will let me off before the drop, lol
If it makes you feel any better, the drop is no where near straight down! I know it looks like it from the street, but it's really only a 45 degree angle. In case you're not a math type person, draw yourself a square. Now draw a line from one top corner to the opposite bottom corner. That's a 45 Degree angle. Not nearly as scary when you look at like that, is it!?
kytiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:09 PM   #13
AbbyPan
"...oh he's a codfish, a codfish, a codfish..."

First thing, Jurrasic Park is so much longer! (I think the difference is about 30'!) I don't love JP becuase the fall is a little too intense for me.

Splash Mountain is not near as high. Its very quick and definitely not as bad as i usually make it out to be. I always think its going to be horrible and after we do it, i'm like "that's it?"!

Another thing that helps me is when I see young children, 4 and 5 yr olds on it and they put both hands up when they're going down!...its so cute, but also reminds me, that it really is not as bad as it may seem!

Hope this helps!
Old 04-13-2009, 02:52 PM   #14
swedie
Mouseketeer

I'll start by saying I'm afraid of heights. I do not close my eyes on anything (I might avert my eyes to something less intense to get past those, but I do not close my eyes - I think my imagination is worse than anything I actually see).
Think about the cars for Splash Mt. There are not straps, no safety harness, just a bar to hold onto. No amusement/theme park would allow this if they thought it was a safety factor. Don't you feel better already.
I admit, I was still nervous the first time I went on it. That uphill climb had me staring at the person's head in front of me, while I had my thigh over my 4-year olds legs, and one arm around his shoulders, and I had white knuckles on the hand holding onto that bar! But the view at the top before the fall is absolutely spectacular (this is coming from a person with a fear of heights), especially at night, & then especially if you hit it while the fireworks are going on!
Splash is one of my favorite attractions @ this point, and yes I can even put both arms up for the final plunge. I've learned to keep them down a bit as to not block out the peoples faces behind me should they be interested in getting the photos at the end of the ride.
Try it, it may too become one of your favorites. (Maybe I shouldn't be pushing for you with this - it'll mean an additional person in the line!)
Good luck & enjoy your trip with or without Splash! included.
swedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:54 PM   #15
wendy1974
DIS Veteran

I don't know if you've looked on You tube but you can do a search for Splash Mountain Disney World and there are tons of videos posted of the entire ride from beginning to end. It might help if you can see what goes on inside the attraction and when the drops will come. I absolutely love it and I'm no dare devil. It's one of the best themed rides in Disney World and the songs are contagious. You'll be singing "Everybody has a laughing place" for the rest of the day Try it once and then if it's too much you don't have to ride it again. But IMHO you are really missing out if you miss Splash Mountain.
wendy1974 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: