Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2009, 04:13 AM   #1
arielrocks
always planning another trip to Disney!!!

FairFX

How many of you use FairFX for your Dollars?

DO you have the card or order cash through them?

I am thinking about using them for the first time this year as the exhange rate with them is slightly better.

The card looks a good option - any one got any experiance with this?

any thoughts would be appreciated
Old 02-01-2009, 04:27 AM   #2
madmumof2
DIS Veteran

I have a fairfx card and will use it on our trip in October. I've used it in the UK too and think it's brilliant. The rate is better than anywhere else I've seen and it's much safer that carrying cash.

Oct 2012 - 2 weeks Southern Dunes+1 night at the Hard Rock Hotel!
Oct 2009 - 2 weeks Pop Century
Jan 2000 - 2 weeks Ramada Inn International Drive
Oct/Nov 1995 - 5 weeks Lindfields Villa, Kissimmee
madmumof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2009, 04:50 AM   #3
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

Dad and I have a Fairfx card each. We've used ours all over Orlando and California and never had any problems with them but we always have cash/other cards with us just in case.

There is a $2 fee for taking cash out of ATMs but if you take enough out to cover a few days at a time it doesn't make that much difference and there is no fee for using it as a debit card. If you won't have Internet access while you are away just keep a note of your balance on a piece of paper.

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
wickesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:02 AM   #4
Netty
A six foot palm from Wal-Mart would make a very festive Christmas tree
Especially if covered with FROG ornaments!

I got one for our last trip last October, loaded it up and used it everywhere in Florida, found it a lot better than carrying travellers chqs around!
http://www.fairfx.com/matalan-offer
Old 02-01-2009, 06:02 AM   #5
catherine
Hey not fair, you guys already have a bunch of tags, and poor me I haven't got one
Cheer up. You've been tagged by the tag fairie

Has anyone signed up for Fairfx going through Matalan? I have a Fairfx card that I got through Quidco and put over £500 on it so I didn't have to pay the sign up fee. However I've just tried to get one for DH and I'm being charged the sign up fee, which I thought was free if you went through Matalan!

Edited to add. There must've be some type of problem with the application as I tried again and it went through this time without the charge, but now DH has to contact Fairfx. Apparently they can't identify him well enough with the information that has been provided!!!!

"In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity." Albert Einstein

Last edited by catherine; 02-01-2009 at 06:11 AM.
catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:29 AM   #6
karriemouse
Official Disney Cruise Addict

Location: Manchester, UK or Windsor Hills, Orlando or on a plane between the two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catherine View Post
now DH has to contact Fairfx. Apparently they can't identify him well enough with the information that has been provided!!!!
That happened to me but all I needed to do was tell them my driving license number and then all was well and I'm currently awaiting my card. If we're happy with mine (can't see why we won't be!) we'll order one for DH too so all the money isn't in the same place.

We have a US bank account and used to use travellers cheques to transport money, it will be so nice just to withdraw cash, walk to the cashier, pay it in and not to have to sign all those travellers cheques!!! to FairFX so far!!

Me DH DD(20) DD(15)
karriemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:44 AM   #7
Beep
My heart and soul live in Florida!

I haven't used my in Orlando yet but have used it for internet purchases, vendor deposits etc with no problems at all.

I think we will get another for my DBF so that we don't have all the money on one card. I did check with Fairfx and they said they don't issue a second card on the account. I'm pretty sure they said you could have more than one account in your name (with separate cards) and they can transfer money between the accounts. We're thinking it would be handy just in case one of the cards goes missing.

UK Spending Game #5
Beep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:48 AM   #8
jackieleanne
DIS Veteran

We used one on the last trip just about everywhere they are brilliant and will work anywhere that takes mastercard. We also used the cash service they offer and they came straight away in the recorded post.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

jackieleanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:46 AM   #9
orangetiggs
Married my sweetheart in DISNEY!!!!!

we paid our wedding on it to disney then used it in orlando and mexico on our honeymoon, will be putting more on it this year, the best thing i have got in years.

Its so much easier even with the charge for getting money at the atm I still did it
Old 02-01-2009, 12:15 PM   #10
misscrossbee
Mouseketeer

We used ours on our trip back in October with no problems at all. It was extremely easy to top up and check the balance on and worked everywhere. I brought that, my debit card and $150 in cash, but didn't touch my debit card until we landed back at Gatwick two weeks later.

It was also the card I registered at check in for room charges - again, no problems.

I still had a balance on it when I got back home and had no difficulties using it in the UK.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:22 PM   #11
liesauk
Mouseketeer

for all those that use quidco, go through them for fairfx card

liesa
xx
liesauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:12 AM   #12
catherine
Hey not fair, you guys already have a bunch of tags, and poor me I haven't got one

Quote:
Originally Posted by liesauk View Post
for all those that use quidco, go through them for fairfx card

liesa
xx
Only if you're putting at least £500 on the card. If you're putting less than £500 on your better going through Matalan.

With Quidco you get £7.50 back but if you put less than £500 on the card Fairfx will charge you £9.95 for the card. If you go through Matalan you get your card free.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:01 AM   #13
Netty
A six foot palm from Wal-Mart would make a very festive Christmas tree
Especially if covered with FROG ornaments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catherine View Post
Only if you're putting at least £500 on the card. If you're putting less than £500 on your better going through Matalan.

With Quidco you get £7.50 back but if you put less than £500 on the card Fairfx will charge you £9.95 for the card. If you go through Matalan you get your card free.
and also with Matalan you get £5 back if you put your first £100 in. see link on my other post
Old 02-03-2009, 12:25 PM   #14
catherine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netty View Post
and also with Matalan you get £5 back if you put your first £100 in. see link on my other post
For some reason DH didn't get the extra £5

Old 02-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #15
mickeyforpresident
DIS Veteran

After reading all about the fair FX card, we got one for our trip last summer. One of the best things we did. We kept adding money on it every few months (especially when exchange rate went just under £1 = $2). Seemed to add to the excitement of the holiday. Used it for everything except hire car imprint.

August 2015 - Hard Rock and Contemporary - whooo hoo!!
August 2012 - Back to the Contemporary - love that monorail !!!
August 2010 - 2 weeks at the Grand Floridian
August 2008 - 3 weeks at the Grand Floridian
August 2006 - Disneyland Hotel DLRP
August 2004 - 2 weeks at the Contemporary
August 2002 - Disneyland Hotel DLR Paris
August 1999 - Millenium Celebration - offsite
mickeyforpresident is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: