Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2009, 10:53 AM   #1
LAH LAH
1244.22 Miles from the Magic

Surprise!! We laughed, we cried, we lost a child, we did American Idol!! FINISHED

This story starts 3 months ago when I got the itch to start planning a new trip to Disney. Does it matter that we only went 6 months ago? Not to me But let's not get ahead of ourselves...let me start by introducing you to the starring cast of this trip report:

I am the one in the middle...although my real name is Melissa, my kids call me Mama. I am 33 but have the energy of a 10 year old...I am passionate about many things and tend to get louder the more excited I get. I love talking and love when people get excited with me.

The one on the left is my 11 year old son, Michael. He is a loveable high energy child, but is a cautious little man. He loves to laugh, is super smart and loves Pal Mickey in the parks...he feels everyone has to hear everything Pal Mickey has to say. He has a legalistic attitude and MUST follow directions. Being that he has a high functioning autism Disney remains the best place for us to vacation as a family.

The one on the right is my little Elsa. She is 9 years and a bundle of energy (that seems to be a recurrent theme for our family). She is Michael's biggest advocate and loves all the noise at Disney, and likes to contribute to all that noise. She enjoys being the center of attention and loves to sing. If she can't recall a song she just makes up her own! She is similar to me and loves all the Disney parades, side shows, and the magic of it all.

I sort of badgered my parents into meeting us there. Don't get me wrong...they love Disney too...maybe just not as much as me. They were looking to vacation someplace warm anyways so it all worked out perfectly. Here are the lovely Grandparents:

The one on the left is my dad, Garry...but the kids call him Peepa...and sometimes Peeps (although he doesn't care for it all that much). He gifted all his children (and his two grandchildren) with a 6 day trip 18 months ago....that's when the extreme excitement (dare I say obsession) with Disney started for me. He loves the Disney magic as much if not more than we do. He takes the time to sit for the parades and call me crazy, but I think he feels like a kid when he is there! He once pushed my mom in a wheelchair all over Disney for a week following a serious surgery she had 2 weeks earlier. Dedicated...oh yes he is!

The one on the right is my mom, Donna...but the kids call her Meema...and sometimes the Meems (she doesn't mind that at all). She is a selfless go-with-the-flow Disney-er. I have definite ideas of plans...and she willingly goes along with them. She came along with the kids and I on our trip 6 months ago...what a trooper! She ends up carrying most of the essentials and is ALWAYS good for an anti-bacterial wetwipe! She spends most of her time at Disney trying to walk hunched over whilst listening to what Pal Mickey has to say...not because she wants to, but because Michael needs her too...it is quite an obsession with him. I don't fully appreciate how hard it is to walk like that until she is gone and I become official listener to Pal Mickey with Michael.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok...now that you know us let's get down to business! I was so excited to be able to take advantage of the buy 4 get 3 free deal...this would be our first time staying on Disney property and I was thrilled to soak up the non-stop Disney stuff. This was going to be a surprise for the kids and let me say this was the hardest surprise to keep! If you remember from my intro I love to talk and get excited...so getting excited behind my kids backs was difficult.

Meems and Peeps would be flying out on Wednesday and would fly back Sunday. The kids and I would fly out Thursday and fly back Wednesday. I knew the first question out of the kids mouths when they got over the total shock would be "are Meema and Peepa gonna be there?" And they did not disapoint.

So after a few months of planning and preparing the big day finally came. The kids woke up Thursday morning with only school on their minds. We sat down to eat bacon and eggs. I had trading pins hiding in each hand under the table and said "I don't really want to go to work today." They kept eating their eggs...so I pulled out the pins and said "I have these pins...does anyone want to trade with me?". They kept eating their eggs...so I said "No? Well let's go to Disney for the next week and trade them there!!!!!!!" They both looked at me like I had lost my mind. And these were the reactions:

There was so much disbelief (I have never taken them out of school before...so I can understand their shock) so I told them to run upstairs and see all the luggage packed and ready.

...and then it started to sink in:

And that is the start of our trip...the kids didn't have to wait too long because within the hour my mother-in-law came to take us to the airport...and that is where we lost one of the kids...

Next up...how does one loose a child in the Orlando Airport?

Last edited by LAH LAH; 02-16-2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:33 AM   #2
queenof3
Eeyore's my favorite!

I am hooked already! Keep it coming!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2009, 12:06 PM   #3
LAH LAH

Well...we were doing it...really doing it! We were leaving to go to our happy magical place. The 2 hour ride to the airport felt like minutes. Check in was a breeze. Security was not as easy. They pulled every bag we were carrying on the plane. Seems our Disney trading pins, roll of quarters for laundry, and our unlabbeled baggies of white powdered laundry detergent sparked some concern. They swabbed all of our bags and I felt like a criminal. But they quickly decided we were no hooligans and that we indeed were only trying to enjoy a wonderful trip and they let us proceed to our gate. Crisis averted!

We had to stop for our traditional airport picture:

Taken this trip:

Taken 6 months ago:

So there isn't much to report in the airport. We looked around, sat around, and waited for our plane. And then it was time...it really was happening. All the planning, all the excitement and we were really doing it. We were going to Disney!!!!! They called our zone so we did the logical thing...we boarded the plane!

The plane ride was uneventful and relaxing...but don't take my word for it...take a look at Elsa:

While Elsa was all stretched out, Michael and I just relaxed, watched our personal TV's, and snacked on snacks:

A little over 2 hours and it was over. We were really stepping off the plane onto Orlando land. But right before we exited the plane they gave us a treat...they let us enter the cockpit. Elsa sat right down into the co-pilots seat...she is always up for an adventure. Michael was bit nervous about ruining the equipment so he decided only to stand. Elsa asked the pilot what happens to the plane once it isn't used anymore, as she would love to take the cabin apart. It was all she could do to keep herself from touching all the controls. But thankfully I trained them well and nothing was altered!

After the treat we were off...we were on our way to find the monorail to get to Magical Express! We spotted it and we were on a mission to board it. Well Elsa and I easily made it on and then the doors started to close...Michael hesitated and it was at that moment I knew he wasn't boarding with us. So I watched the doors close with him on the other side. I tried to motion to him to get on the next monorail and then made eye contact with the elderly couple behind him. I don't know what my eyes said, but I was trying to implore them to keep him safe. The riders on the monorail with us were sympathetic and I just stood there totally stunned with tears in the corner of my eyes hoping he didn't freak out like I was feeling inside. It is such a short monorail trip but all the horrible senarios kept running through my mind. When we stepped off the monorail a few families waited with us for the next one. While waiting a wonderful family next to us offered to ride back and get him if indeed he didn't come on the next one. But that wasn't needed as he stepped off the next monorail. Thankfully my eyes conveyed enough to the elderly couple and they took him under their wings and they calmed him down and made sure he got to us. It took me a good 40 minutes to steady my breathing and to calm down inside. Michael later told us he was afraid the doors would squish him...and that was why he didn't try to get on. I assured him that all the doors have sensors and he wouldn't have been squeezed to death...so not only was it another crisis averted, it was a learning lesson as well!

So off we were to Magical Express...our first time. While waiting in line we found a cast member with Elsa's name. Now, we see a dozen Michaels a day at Disney...but this was our first Elsa...and Elsa was thrilled!! Sadly, you can't see the cast members pin well, but trust me, it says ELSA!

Finally we were on the bus and more excited than imaginable.

We made stops at a few of the resorts and we were the last ones dropped off...but that didn't matter to us. Because we were finally HERE!!!!

Next up: Half day at EPCOT here we come!

Last edited by LAH LAH; 02-16-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:34 PM   #4
3princesses+aprince
DIS Veteran

Oh, excellent, we are going to Disney May 12-19, and are also staying at all star movies. It was nice to see your pics of the plane ride and the magical express, it gets me very excited... and that was great that your kids got to see the cockpit. What a treat. we aren't surprising our kids this trip but I would love to in the future, your kids looked so thrilled!!!!!

Our very magical, very first trip to Disney World!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2182745

Come check out my Pre Trip Report, May 09
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2066680
Old 01-31-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
LAH LAH

We made it to All Star Movies around 4:30 as a family of three (thanks to the helpful Orlando airport commuters!) and we were ready to go!!! We quickly checked in, went to our room (1860 in the Dalmations section), changed from our winter clothes and set off for EPCOT. Meems and Peeps had been there since the morning riding all the EPCOT rides and the plan was to meet up and tour the countries once the three of us arrived. Last trip we didn't set aside enough time and were sad not to have seen more of the countries...so we didn't want to make that mistake again!

We only made it to Japan last trip so we decided to go the opposite way and start with Canada this time. So off we went after meeting up with Meema and Peepa! Sadly the Meems wasn't feeling all that well. But as I stated before she is a total trooper! We peeked around in Canada and decided not to see the movie this day. But got this fun photo:

Off to England for some fish-n-chips!

This duck wanted to eat Michael's dinner!

Off Kilter...loved them!

We spent the rest of the evening floating around trying to see all the countries before we needed to get a good spot for Illuminations. One thing we had to do was to visit Japan for two reasons. 1. Michael had been waiting for the past 6 months to purchase something Pokemon from Japan and 2. Elsa was going to pick her oyster.

We got in line and Elsa looked for the ugliest oyster she could find. We were told the best/biggest pearls come out of the ugliest oysters. It was hard, but she finally settled on one:

And here it is...her beautiful brilliant white 6.75 mm pearl!

It was so fun that the Meems wanted to do it too...so she got to pick an oyster too! She got a 6.75 mm champagne colored pearl. It was a really fun process.

Elsa had hers mounted on a sterling silver ring setting, and the Meems got hers set into a spiral cage necklace setting.

Michael picked out a stuffed Pokemon...DarkCry? At least that is what it sounded like...so when we left Japan all involved were happy!

We headed over to a country I can't remember where they were doing a side show...Romeo and Edna...funny stuff! (I think it was France or Italy)

Peepa got picked to be the "Mime who did nothing"

...and he did a fantastic job! Here is the Peeps with his pin signifying his participation:

Our introduction pictures were taken at the France water fountain...but here is one more for your viewing pleasure:

And then when we were killing time waiting for Illuminations we spotted characters in England! Yay! Meemas favorite is Eeyore and we were lucky enough to get pictures with Eeyore, Tigger, and Pooh!

We watched Illuminations on the bridge near France and I must say it was the best viewing experience of Illuminations I have ever had. I recommend finding a good place (not just any place) to see it. Much more enjoyable in a good spot! Boy was it cold though...I checked my phone and it was 47 degrees...and then I looked up our hometown...and it was 38 degrees...what was up with this Orlando big chill? Only a 9 degree difference between FL and the North East? Thankfully it was supposed to warm up...

The park was closing, we were tired, and we intended to open Hollywood Studio in the morning so we parted ways and the three of us returned to the resort to rejuvenate. We settled into bed and before falling asleep I called in a request for a 6:20am wake-up call. The sand man hit us hard!

Up next: Day 2 Hollywood Studios and the AIE

Last edited by LAH LAH; 02-20-2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:48 PM   #6
gellybean
DIS Veteran

Loving your trip report!!! Can't believe you pulled off the surprise. I would have never been able to keep my mouth shut. I can't imagine how scared you were when Michael didn't make the same shuttle as you and Elsa. So glad it worked out for the best and that a lovely couple helped save the day! It's great to see/read that there are still nice helpful people out there and I find that Disney has more than it's fair share of them!!

We were there the exact same week you guys were! That's too funny. Our BIL and SIL stayed at the movies over the weekend y'all were there.

We also took the same poke your head through picture in Canada.

Anxiously awaiting more updates!!!

Read all about our special needs, miracle daughter Violet @ http://youjustmightfindyougetwhatyouneed.blogspot.com/

September 2012 PTR - I actually just squealed with excitement!! We are going back! Baby girl's 1st trip!! Nemo Suite at AoA
Old 01-31-2009, 02:20 PM   #7
LAH LAH

Yay!!!! My first posters on my first trip report! :D
Old 01-31-2009, 03:21 PM   #8
LAH LAH

Day 2...our first full day at Disney! Yippee! So when the wake-up call came at 6:20 one would think I would be thrilled, but I could barely open my eyes and then I thought "Why in the world did I ask for a 6:20 wake up call?" I was so nervous that we would miss the opening ceremonies that I way over estimated our wake time. I quickly called for a new normal wake up time at 7:30 but it was too late...we were very groggy, but we were awake. So we decided to get up and look around our resort. You would be happy to know that I didn't make that wake up call mistake again...and my kids didn't let me forget it.

We ate our morning pop-tarts (real healthy, I know...but it was just another way to save some money) and headed off to see the structures. We loved the courtyards so much we can't wait to stay at another one! Bear with me...and feel free to skip the photos if they are too boring...

Well...now that I got that out of my system!

Off we were to make it to the opening of Hollywood Studios! We made it with PLENTY of time to spare. I wasn't sure what to expect...this was our first opening at any of the parks. Would they let us through the gates? Would we be able to see? Is it worth it? I didn't have to wait too long because through the gates we went...and we are so close to the front of the rope! YAY! But where are Meema and Peepa? I had hoped they would make it for the opening, but it looked like we would be doing this opening alone. I called them a few times but no one was answering.

And then the ceremonies started. It was simple and most wonderful at the same time. The kids and I laughed...and there was no complaining from Elsa that she couldn't see. Now here is the deal with Elsa...if she isn't in the very front row and in the center she gets herself all discombobulated about the fact that she can't see. So this was a true blessing!

So the opening was over and they dropped the rope. We were very excited, but we couldn't ride the rides without the Meems and the Peeps! So we called them again and we got ahold of them...they are on their way!!!! YAY!!! Meems is still feeling very poorly though. Thankfully there were some characters with no lines seemingly just waiting for us!

We found out that Chip is the one with the black nose...most of you probably knew that....but we were excited to find out this information!

So we weren't sure what to do so we walked around for a bit and we saw that the American Idol Experience was doing a soft opening and they were calling for auditioners. Elsa wanted to do it but I figured she would be too young...I was right. The cut off is 14 years old. I am over 14 so I auditioned...and I made it past the first audition! Then they sat me in a room with some iPods and I had to learn 2 songs for a more structured audition. During this time Meema and Peepa showed up and took Elsa and Michael on the Great Movie Ride (one of our favorites!!!) and I auditioned again...and passed that one too...singing "I Hope You Dance". I was instructed to come back at 10:50 to prepare for the 12:00 show.

This made our day a little wacky to say the least! When we do Disney we try to open and close the parks and cram in every bit of riding/fun we can...so this shuffled up our plans a bit.

Would I win? Would I lose? Would I like it? Stay tuned!

Next up: I'm going to Hollywood! Or at least to the AIE Show

Last edited by LAH LAH; 02-13-2009 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:06 PM   #9
Mickdeb
DIS Veteran

Enjoying your trip report. Your kids are adorable, it looks like you are all having so much fun. Wow, congrats on the AIE, boy you are brave.
Can't wait to read more. Great job !

Old 01-31-2009, 04:28 PM   #10
dort
Mouseketeer

Sounds like you guys are having a great time so far. Can't wait to see how you made out at AIE.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:32 PM   #11
LAH LAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenof3 View Post
I am hooked already! Keep it coming!
Thanks...this is more fun than I thought!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3princesses+aprince View Post
Oh, excellent, we are going to Disney May 12-19, and are also staying at all star movies. It was nice to see your pics of the plane ride and the magical express, it gets me very excited... and that was great that your kids got to see the cockpit. What a treat. we aren't surprising our kids this trip but I would love to in the future, your kids looked so thrilled!!!!!
We loved All Star Movies! I hope you have as much fun as we did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gellybean View Post
Loving your trip report!!! Can't believe you pulled off the surprise. I would have never been able to keep my mouth shut. I can't imagine how scared you were when Michael didn't make the same shuttle as you and Elsa. So glad it worked out for the best and that a lovely couple helped save the day! It's great to see/read that there are still nice helpful people out there and I find that Disney has more than it's fair share of them!!

We were there the exact same week you guys were! That's too funny. Our BIL and SIL stayed at the movies over the weekend y'all were there.

We also took the same poke your head through picture in Canada.

Anxiously awaiting more updates!!!
I'd love to see your trip report...and pictures...maybe we passed you Did you loose anyone on the monorail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickdeb View Post

Enjoying your trip report. Your kids are adorable, it looks like you are all having so much fun. Wow, congrats on the AIE, boy you are brave.
Can't wait to read more. Great job !
AIE was a blast! And I think my kids are pretty adorable too...but I am supposed to feel that way...they are my kids!
Old 01-31-2009, 04:33 PM   #12
LAH LAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by dort View Post
Sounds like you guys are having a great time so far. Can't wait to see how you made out at AIE.

ohhhhh Troy...Where is that?
Old 01-31-2009, 04:46 PM   #13
dort
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleconnection View Post
ohhhhh Troy...Where is that?
near Albany, I think east i have only lived here all my life, but directions and i don't get along good. I see you are upstate? Where abouts?
Maybe we are neighbors.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:23 PM   #14
LAH LAH

Well where did we leave off? Oh thats right...the American Idol Experience! I know I had time to kill between the auditions and the show but I can honestly say I don't remember anything that we did between the two...

...maybe I didn't do anything...maybe I did. But because I can't remember I guess we should just skip to the show. I had to report back at 10:50 and they took us backstage. We sat in a room waiting for the other contestants. When everyone showed up they started the process. We had 10 minutes with hair and makeup, 10 minutes with a stage coach, and 10 minutes to practice our songs.

I went into hair and makeup 1st. I am the type who blow dries my hair for work and church and runs a curling iron through it to keep it under control...and on all other days I just wear a baseball cap. And I NEVER wear makeup...so this was a funny and fun process for me. These pictures are from after the second show and a bit out of order but it is a good representation of my hair:

My Elsa took these pictures...she didn't do too shabby!

After our 10 minutes of all three processes they did a dry run of the show and let us run through our song for the first time on the stage. It was AMAZING!!!! We wore a sensor on our shoulders that directed the spot light to stay on us no matter where we went on the stage.

After the dry run we waited back stage to perform. If you have ever seen AI you have a good representation of the AIE...it was just a smaller stage and a shorter show. All the rest of the elements were pretty similar!

I was first up! (keep in mind that had I known I was going to do this I would have worn something other than my most comfortable sweatshirt, capris that cut my height in half, and my purple crocs )

Done with the song and listening to the judges

Vote for me!

He says vote for me too!

Before the voting they asked us to get up and dance to a Jordan Sparks video and get the crowd going...the host kept shoulder bumping me...It was weird and so very fun!

I WON!!!

The kids were so excited and my parents were so proud! I was told I had to report back at 5:50 for the finale!

So off we went to eat lunch and see the Indiana Jones Stunt show for the first time. The kids LOVED it! They both begged to stay and see it again. But I knew our day was shortened due to AIE so we kept moving. We went on The Great Movie Ride (1st time for me, second time for everyone else...but it is one of our favorites...all except the Meems...but she tolerates it ) Then we rode on Toy Story Mania while Meema waited in some shade...We all felt bad that the Meems was sick. The Peeps totally crushed all of our scores. I just don't know how he does that. We also rode Star Tours and sat for the afternoon parade. Michael was not happy about this but he enjoyed it just as much as we did...sometimes we just have to push him to do it.

Elsa got picked to come down and dance for a few minutes...You know she ate all that attention right up!

Sully is one of our favorites!

Here is my hair after Rock-n-Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror (which Elsa chickened out of...she is the dare devil...so I'm not sure what is up with that. Meems was still feeling poorly so she hung out with Elsa)

It was time to return to AIE for the second show...

Next up: Will she win again?

Last edited by LAH LAH; 09-04-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:25 PM   #15
LAH LAH

Back to the American Idol Experience backstage entrance...but not before a few pictures:

Meems and Peeps took the kids while I reported back stage again...same process...same routine...although this time there was 7 of us instead of 3.

I didn't win the second show...but I sure had a blast!

After the show the park was closed and all 5 of us headed back to the resort. We wanted Meema and Peepa to see the resort We ordered a pizza (our phone had a button just for pizza delivery and Michael was SOOOO excited to use it) and the Meems rested on a bed while the rest of us toured the property. We enjoyed showing off "our" resort to Peepa.

We came back to the room, ate pizza, and then it was just the three of us again. We hadn't brought enough long sleeve and long pant clothing so we went and did laundry and didn't finish till 11pm...so back to our room and to beddy bye we went...and this time no 6:20 wake up call

Forgot all about this...the beginning of this day I went to start the shower for Elsa. When I sat on the tub to start it I saw down at the base of the toilet a lot of orangey/yellowish stuff and thought...EWWWW. I took a picture of it and when we left to go to Hollywood Studios I took it to the front desk to ask for a good cleaning of the toilet. The manager said EWWWWW and apologized for the general grossness of it. He assured me we would get the VIP cleaning treatment for the duration of our stay. I was satisfied with that and wasn't sure what would happen seeing as I have never complained at a hotel/resort before. It was just that disgusting. When we got back that evening the base of the toilet probably could have been eaten off of. Not that we would...but you know what I mean.

Next up...Will Meema and Peepa make it to the opening ceremonies at Magic Kingdom?

Last edited by LAH LAH; 09-04-2010 at 10:41 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: