Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2009, 10:21 AM   #16
aka-mad4themouse
Budget Board Co-Host

I'm glad for those of you who have not had bad experiences with this. But I still think that there is something dishonest about the whole thing. If there was a way to legitimately sell WDW passes for less than half the gate price, there would be no need for all of the cloak & dagger activity. JMO.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:33 PM   #17
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker and Fairly Good Sailing Master

1) The guy might be a little late meeting you.
2) I think he is closing the sale on a bridge earlier in the day.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2009, 12:38 PM   #18
lindsmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdenis View Post
But he did say he would go with us up to the ticket booth and wait until we had the tickets in our hand.
And it's 2 tickets, not 3 tickets.
I don't know....I may try it.
It sounds like your mind is pretty much made up, so I wish you the best - definitely hope it turns out well! Please let us know after you get back how it all turned out!
Old 02-21-2009, 09:10 PM   #19
thisis99
Earning My Ears

intrigued

I've never done this before, and many people say not to buy tickets from Craigslist or Ebay.

But if the tickets are brand new, and you get them at the ticket counter and THEN pay the guy, it sounds pretty safe to me. (the only thing the guy could do is to not show up... but then you've lost nothing)

Just curious, have you decided? If so, how did it work out?
thisis99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:22 PM   #20
d1gitman
Mad About The Mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdenis View Post
What do you all think?

It sounds quite safe going to Disney and all that. Don't you think?
No. I would have no desire what so ever to meet up with a stranger at Disney to do business with off of CL. Who knows what shennanigans this person is capable of.

IMHO, not worth the risk to save $200, but thats just me.
d1gitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:25 PM   #21
d1gitman
Mad About The Mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka-mad4themouse View Post
I'm glad for those of you who have not had bad experiences with this. But I still think that there is something dishonest about the whole thing. If there was a way to legitimately sell WDW passes for less than half the gate price, there would be no need for all of the cloak & dagger activity. JMO.
i agree. furthermore, call Disney and ask them about it. if it's legit, they will be all for it. If it is not, I am sure they will tell you this is not how authorized ticket seller operate under Disney regulations.
d1gitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:34 PM   #22
cglaura
I still love the smell of Love's Baby Soft

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisis99 View Post
I've never done this before, and many people say not to buy tickets from Craigslist or Ebay.

But if the tickets are brand new, and you get them at the ticket counter and THEN pay the guy, it sounds pretty safe to me. (the only thing the guy could do is to not show up... but then you've lost nothing)

Just curious, have you decided? If so, how did it work out?
It seems as if the general concensus is that he has control over the tickets b/c his credit card and buyer info is attached to it. So, you can go thru the gates once, and he could very well call up and say I lost my card, making yours useless and now he is gone with your cash, and you have no credit card bill to back up your purchase or prove anything. They he can try to sell that one as "one day used" and lather, rinse, repeat, next sucker please.

If he was charging $10, sure worth the risk. When you are spending this much on a vacation anyway, saving a few hundred this way is not at all worth the risk. Go with a reputable licensed re-seller, there are recommendations all over this board.

The hardest thing about having a plant-based only lifestyle is waking up at 5am to milk the almonds

************************************************** ****************************************

The pessimist complains about the wind... The optimist expects it to change... The realist adjusts the sails.

************************************************** ****************************************

A clever person turns great troubles into little ones... and little ones into none at all.

cglaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:50 PM   #23
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

I would suggest forwarding a link of the listing to tips@disneyantipiracy.com who will acknowledge receipt of your e-mail, thank you for the information, and will tell you they do not provide the person being investigated with anything about where they got the information from and also tell you they wilo not advise you of any results.

But they are the ones who go after the scammers. And if the pesron on CL is legitimate nothing will come of it.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:56 PM   #24
Justsyd2
I snorted Coca-Cola out of my nose when he said that! Speaks French when no one else is around. "Why am I covered in feathers?"

I guess it could be an employee who is using their discount?

(Me) (DH)

2010 - Carnival/Paradise - Catalina Island/Ensenada and Disneyland
2009 - WDW/Caribbean Beach Resort
2007 - New Jersey/New York
2006 - Kansas City, Mo
2005 - Carnival/Fantasy - Bahamas
2003 - Big Bend National Park/Port Aransas, TX
2002 - RCC/Rhapsody - Key West/Belize/Cozumel
1998 - Disneyland - 9 times!

Old 02-21-2009, 10:49 PM   #25
haner
Earning My Ears

Unless the end cost for tickets that CM's can purchase come out higher than the prices on craiglist. I'm looking at 10day premium tickets with no expiration now and it's only $280.. so tempting.
haner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:02 AM   #26
HayGan
We could all use some pixie dust now and then :)
Papa Smurf Oh Papa Smurf!

Location: Steeler Country - PA!!!! Home of the World Champion PITTSBURGH STEELERS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nie0214 View Post
Avoid this "deal" like the plague. Craigslist is hardly ever legit anymore just for normal things, let alone Disney tickets. Chances are he dupes people into doing option #1, and if they pick option #2, he doesn't respond to their emails.

If you feel comfortable losing $295 to try to save $200 and meeting a complete stranger to boot, go for it!
While I think the OP's scenario is more than likely some sort of scam I think it is pretty unfair to say that Craigslist is hardly ever legit anymore. Sure there are scams out there and scammers who respond to ads but there are also millions of legitimate posts on craigslist every day. The scams are in in the minority not the majority of posts.

I recently sold a Universal ticket on craigslist. It was a legit ticket that we were not going to be able to use. I gave the purchaser proof of the ticket along with the ticket. Saved them $30 off gate price.

OP I would stay clear of this. Anyone who promises to save hundreds on theme park tickets is running a scam somehow.
Next up:
Girls Only B-Day trip for F&WF - Oct. 2013, Turkey Day & 1st cruise! Nov/Dec. 2013
, Key West & BCV for the first time!!! May 2014
HayGan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:30 AM   #27
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

last week on our local CL I saw an ad for 4 tix,unused for at least 5 days each for $100.....sounds great,except there's no way I'm taking the chance that I spend and then I'm out the money.
If it's that desperate,I won't bother planning the trip. It's a scam most likely.
Ask yourself,what does the guy get out of all this,other than just making OP happy with cheap tix?
Disney tix,real,usable tix are expensive. They're the most $$$ part of the trip. That's part of planning for your trip. And I'm cheaper than the average person,but used/suspect tickets I wouldn't mess with.
If you do buy themplease post back and tell us what happened. I will still never go that route,but I'm curious.
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:13 AM   #28
Suz D
DIS Veteran

At first I thought this was probably a scam, but a pp was right, it could be a cast member. I wouldn't be too focused on the spelling error (I picked right up on it too and said uh-oh, but the truth is, there are lots of people who say "your going to Disney" or "their are lots of things we can do" and they are perfectly honest people. I do know what you mean 'though. When I see the misuse of the spelling of a word, it gets me thinking as well.

The only thing I worry about it that the seller said your name will be on the them and others have said there are no names on the tickets. That would cause me to think twice. Please let us know how it works out if you do it since another poster said it worked out for them. We are wanting to do a day or two at WDW before and after our cruise and just can't justify the $$ for such a short time.

Suz
Suz D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:40 AM   #29
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

If a CM buys tickets (which can be done at a COmpany D) the discount is only 10% from gate prices. A deep discount would either be stolen tickets or a scam.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:58 AM   #30
hrh_disney_queen
My DH has the hots for Stacey
Momma wuvs her little kitty-kitty, oh yes she does, oh, yes she does
I knew what he was before I touched him, just never thought they could MOVE that fast

There's no way I would buy tickets anywhere but a reputable company. The only thing worse than being ripped off by a scam and being out a lot of money, would be to find that out while you were standing in the turnstile trying to use the bogus ticket and being told "NO". This would ruin my trip..definitely not worth the risk to me.

"There's such a thing as good grief. Just ask Charlie Brown." Michael Scott..................Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.
hrh_disney_queen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: