Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2008, 12:15 PM   #1
Northern Disney Girl
DIS Veteran

The Tale and Trials of some Crazy Northern Loons!

The Tale and Trials of some Crazy Northern Loons!

Hi! Welcome to my PTR! Thanks for stopping by! I am really glad you are here to share in this crazy adventure!

For those of you non-Snowbird readers (more on that later) allow me to introduce myself! My name is Kimberly. I am 32 yrs old and I am a proud Canadian! I hail from NW Ontario. The city in which I live is situated on the shores of the largest fresh water lake in the World! We get some mighty cold winter weather up here! It isn't unheard of for us to see temperatures of – 35 degrees Celcius! I believe that would be about 0 for you folks who use Farenheit! Anyway, that's cold! We don't let our kids go outside much on those days!

To explain the title, I must go back to this past summer, July specifically! I was hanging out on the DIS when I found a thread entitled “January 2009 – Calling all snowbirds” I decided to check it out since we were planning our trip for January also! I am so glad I did! In the last 4.5 months I have met some wonderful women and even made a couple of really great friends! We have us some good ole fashion fun over on the “Snowbird” thread! Lots of laughs and keepin' each other company while we wait for and plan our January trips to the most wonderful place on the planet! WALT DISNEY WORLD!

Anyway, the other day, a bunch of us were having an interesting conversation about swimming in January! Some of the more delicate of my fine feathered friends said they wouldn't be caught dead in a bathing suit or anywhere near a pool in January! Well us hearty Northerner's said we would be out to the pool in droves as soon as the temperature reached 60 degrees! Well from that moment on the hearty Northerner's have been labled “Crazy Northern Loons” by some of those delicate Southerners! We are okay with this title because we are tough, thick skinned Northerner's who know what REAL WINTER is like! We can handle it!

I am proud to be a “Crazy Northern Loon” and I will definitely be swimming in January! And not just in any old pool mind you, OH NO! I will be swimming in this pool.......

YES! That's right! My family and I are spending 8 glorious nights at Disney's Wilderness Lodge!

Stay Tuned for part 2: An Introduction to the rest of the Gang!

Last edited by Northern Disney Girl; 11-19-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
Northern Disney Girl
DIS Veteran

Sorry about that! I am a total dunce when it comes to posting pictures! I will get right to fixin' that!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-19-2008, 12:32 PM   #3
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

Not that I'm admiting to thinking or calling you a crazy northern loon, because I mean who comes up with names like that

But I will have you know I know what a REAL winter is and I'm completely SANE and I refuse to answer questions like Jen will you be swimming in January...because well I'm "delicate" and we'd hate to ruffle my "pansy" and "dry" feathers...

Just remember when you come out all blue..I'll be the one in the sweatshirt, gloves, and scarf with the hot chocolate LOL!!!

You know I love you

I can't wait to read more...hopefully you'll update a lot quicker than some other southern weather pansy I know LOL (that would be me LOL not Soleil..she actually does update her PTR)

My Magical Trips to Disney:6/2012,1/2012,10/2011, 6/2011, 5/2011, 1/2011, 5/2010, 1/2010, 10/2009, 5/2009,
1/2009, 3/2007, 5/2005 , 10/1992: First Trip to Disney (Thanks Dad!)
Old 11-19-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

From one crazy northern loon to another:
Great start Kimberly - I will keep reading!!
Old 11-19-2008, 12:38 PM   #5
Pluto_fan
DIS Veteran

Hi Kimberly! Signing on!

For the record, I am neither a "northern loon" nor a "southern pansy"...I'm in the middle, so I'll bring a swimsuit and decide when I get there whether to use it.
Disneyland Aug 2006, daytrip Mar 1989, daytrip Jun 1985, daytrip
Old 11-19-2008, 12:46 PM   #6
Northern Disney Girl
DIS Veteran

Yay! Jen! You are first! You win a prize!

I know that you know what a real winter is like! You are a closet Northerner aren't you? Will you still share your Hot chocolate with me?

Even if I do come out of the water all blue and shivering, at least I will be able to say that I went swimming in January. OUTSIDE. In a real pool. In January! All my friends up here will be sooooo impressed!

Next Chapter should be up sometime this evening!
Old 11-19-2008, 12:48 PM   #7
Northern Disney Girl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
From one crazy northern loon to another:
Great start Kimberly - I will keep reading!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto_fan View Post
Hi Kimberly! Signing on!

For the record, I am neither a "northern loon" nor a "southern pansy"...I'm in the middle, so I'll bring a swimsuit and decide when I get there whether to use it.
Thanks for the support LAdies! I greatly appreciate it! Y'all are the best!
Old 11-19-2008, 01:07 PM   #8
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Disney Girl View Post
Yay! Jen! You are first! You win a prize!

I know that you know what a real winter is like! You are a closet Northerner aren't you? Will you still share your Hot chocolate with me?

Even if I do come out of the water all blue and shivering, at least I will be able to say that I went swimming in January. OUTSIDE. In a real pool. In January! All my friends up here will be sooooo impressed!

Next Chapter should be up sometime this evening!
Of course I will share!!!! Enough hot chocolate for you northern loonies!!!

I have to tell you that I'm a member of the Polar Bear Club...I jumped into the Pacific Ocean in Alaska in February with a group friends during a festival in Seward, Alaska...I have never in my life ever been so cold...we were dressed up as societal women in the 1920s LOL!!

YAY for more updates...I can read yours instead of updating mine LOL!

My Magical Trips to Disney:6/2012,1/2012,10/2011, 6/2011, 5/2011, 1/2011, 5/2010, 1/2010, 10/2009, 5/2009,
1/2009, 3/2007, 5/2005 , 10/1992: First Trip to Disney (Thanks Dad!)
Old 11-19-2008, 01:08 PM   #9
Monny2AE
DIS Veteran

Hooray a Snowbird Shout Out in your PTR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto_fan View Post
Hi Kimberly! Signing on!

Same here- what should we call those of us in the middle?

Old 11-19-2008, 02:29 PM   #10
Dancegrl624
DIS Veteran

Signing on Kim! Great job so far. I should really start one of my own. I said I would come November and well, Nov is here and has been here for quite awhile! I'll think about it!

Completed Trip Reports
A Sept 2013 Solo Trip to the World It's A Cat World After All A Sept 2012 TRCelebrations Galore & Free Dining Too! A Sept 2012 PTR
Take Small Children By The Hand...a Sept Trip Report "I Want To Go Back!!!...a Sept 2010 PTR
Heat,Headaches but So Much Fun! My June Birthday TR Wishes Do Come True!...a Birthday PTR A Surprise Fit for a Princess...PTR and TR
1984-1st trip, 1987-offsite, 1991-offsite, 1992-Contemporary (won that trip!), 1997-ASMu, 2002-offsite (DH's 1st trip),
2006-offsite (DD's 1st trip), Jan 2009-offsite, June 2009- Birthday trip at Pop,Sept 2010-Pop Century,Aug 2012-Boardwalk Inn,Sept 2012-POFQ (DS's 1st trip),Sept 2013-CR (Earmarked Conference), March 2014-DCL AEP on the Magic
Old 11-19-2008, 02:39 PM   #11
laurainsem
DIS Veteran

Aahhh, hitting the pool in 60 degree weather; now that's what i'm talking about!

In Alaska, we would jump into the water once it hit around 50. There was really no choice. Either you swim then or you don't swim at all. Guess that's why Alaskans are so tough!

These Pennsylvanians out here are wimps!

Old 11-19-2008, 02:49 PM   #12
trixiequilts
DIS Veteran

Gosh, it looks like quite a party here already!

Going back to read now.

My Trips: January 2009, October 2010, August 2011, February 2012, December 2012, November 2013, May 2014.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:22 PM   #13
Northern Disney Girl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjolt View Post
Of course I will share!!!! Enough hot chocolate for you northern loonies!!!

I have to tell you that I'm a member of the Polar Bear Club...I jumped into the Pacific Ocean in Alaska in February with a group friends during a festival in Seward, Alaska...I have never in my life ever been so cold...we were dressed up as societal women in the 1920s LOL!!

YAY for more updates...I can read yours instead of updating mine LOL!
Polar Bear club? Wow! I am VERY impressed! YOU ARE A CLOSET NORTHERNER! Give yourself a bit more credit!

WELCOME, WELCOME to all of you! Thanks so much for giving me your support! I really appreciate all of you coming out to read the adventures of a crazy northern family!

The next part will be up in a wee bit! Working on it right now!
Old 11-19-2008, 03:27 PM   #14
Northern Disney Girl
DIS Veteran

A HUGE THANK YOU to Trixiequilts for finding me the wonderful picture now included in the first post! You rock Trixie! Aerosmith ain't got nuttin' on you!
Old 11-19-2008, 04:54 PM   #15
koolcatshelby
Mouseketeer

another crazy northerner checking in. Going in Feb, but your report sounds interesting and helps me get ready for our trip

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: