Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2009, 10:36 AM   #76
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBird View Post

I wanted to add that for anyone that is hesitant about CBR--- or any resort for that matter--- the only thing you can do is to try it out, see for yourself. Everyone has different opinions of what is right, almost right, and downright wrong.

I was hesitant to try CBR- I was concerned about the size of the resort b/c what i loved about my favorite resort-- POFQ-- was the small feel to it.

However, after having some "help"- I decided to book CBR- and requested Aruba or Jamaica. We were placed in Jamaica, and I really enjoyed walking over the bridge to OPR. I never felt like the resort was huge at all and loved th3e tropical look.

I definitely would go again to CBR.

Jo
Words of wisdom as always JO!
Momof2Disneyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:41 AM   #77
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

The Islands of the Caribbean Pirate Adventure Cruise

DS9 took more pictures during the cruise with his camera. I haven't had a chance to look at them yet. I will post them later if they turned out!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2009, 11:10 AM   #78
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

A few more pictures of the island that I just found.

The kids feeding the wildlife at OPR.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:27 AM   #79
Jane-in-PA
Mouseketeer

I am loving all the pictures! CBR is so much more lush than I imagined-so pretty and green.

Your family is so cute-and your boys are obviously having a blast! I know this will be a Christmas and Disney vacation they remember forever.

The pirate cruise looks like so much fun for the kids-my DNephew would love it. (come on, DSIL and DBIL )

Thanks for sharing your vacation with us, Shelly!
Jane-in-PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:43 AM   #80
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

A few things that I think I forgot to mention in my original post. There is an arcade at OPR, right next to the gift shops and food court. It is called Goombay Games. We would normally try to steer clear of the arcade while on vacation, the kids play enough video game at home! But a 30 minute arcade card came with our package so we took them in the last evening of our trip. To their delight they had several Star Wars games! I only snapped off a few pictures, here they are -

Another thing I wanted to mention is that there is a Concierge Desk right there at OPR too. At CBR the check in building is seperate from the main building. Check in is at the Custom House which is right by the Barbados village. Some people will complain that the check in building is not at OPR, but I don't see how it really matters. We had to go to the Custom House to check in when we got there - which the ME bus took us right to. We never had to go back until we needed to catch the ME bus back to the airport. Anything you need or want to know can be taken care of at the Concierge Desk at OPR. They can take care of any recreation activities you want to book, dining ADR's, tickets, etc. I went there while DH and the kids were in the arcade and asked them to print off our boarding passes, and they were very pleasant and happy to do it and even thanked me! A very different experience than what I had on the last trip when I asked for my boarding passes to be printed (at another resort). I was very pleased!

OPR is also home to 2 gift shops. Straw Market and Calypso Trading Post.

A very friendly gift shop CM trading pins with DS7.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:53 AM   #81
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane-in-PA View Post
I am loving all the pictures! CBR is so much more lush than I imagined-so pretty and green.

Your family is so cute-and your boys are obviously having a blast! I know this will be a Christmas and Disney vacation they remember forever.

The pirate cruise looks like so much fun for the kids-my DNephew would love it. (come on, DSIL and DBIL )

Thanks for sharing your vacation with us, Shelly!
Thanks for all your kind words! I got a new camera for Christmas so I was just snapping away on this trip!

So do you need me to call your DSIL & DBIL or what???
Old 01-30-2009, 12:01 PM   #82
went503
DVC Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2Disneyboys View Post
Tomorrow ~ YAY ~ I'm so excited for you!!! Can't wait to hear all about it!
oh i know i just cannot wait!!!! Flight out of IAD 1:20p.m into MCO 3:40p.m then ME to CBR. I will surely post pictures and updates throughtout and when i get back
went503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:11 PM   #83
trixiequilts
DIS Veteran

Quote:

This one is my favorite pic without the boys in it.

So far I can't pick a favorite one with the boys~too many great choices!

My Trips: January 2009, October 2010, August 2011, February 2012, December 2012, November 2013, May 2014.
trixiequilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:15 PM   #84
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by went503 View Post
oh i know i just cannot wait!!!! Flight out of IAD 1:20p.m into MCO 3:40p.m then ME to CBR. I will surely post pictures and updates throughtout and when i get back
Sounds great, can't wait to read your report and see your pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixiequilts View Post
This one is my favorite pic without the boys in it.

So far I can't pick a favorite one with the boys~too many great choices!
Thanks!

I love that picture too. That is Jamaica. I really prefer the looks of Jamaica over Aruba. Not sure why. Maybe because that's where we stayed on our first WDW trip! Either way, Jamaica is a beautiful village!
Old 01-30-2009, 12:38 PM   #85
TJA
DIS Veteran

Oh my gosh! Incredible report and pictures! Thanks so much for taking the time to post all of this. We are trying CBR for the first time in April (Easter) and have a pirate room booked. I am SO excited about how the kids can play on the beach in Jamaica and we can watch Illuminations at the same time! I didn't know that tidbit prior to reading your report.

I do know what the menu is at the food court, but could you elaborate a bit on what foods were "really" good? Could you make your own salad (tell them the ingrediants) or is it a pre-made salad with package dressings. Also, I understand there used to be a play area for the kids in the food court but they removed it. Any chance it was just temporary and there was a new one when you were there? We've stayed in a lot of disney resorts and I'm totally excited to try CBR! Thanks again for taking the time to post.
2006 ~ YC & BC
2007 ~ Poly & BC & CR
2008 ~ POR & WL & BC
2009 ~ CBR & BC CL
2010 ~ Poly & CR / BC CL
2011 ~ BC CL & Poly CL
2012 ~ WL & BC CL / CR CL
2013 ~ BC CL & Poly CL & WL CL
2014 ~ Poly CL TPV & BC CL, Poly CL TPV again
TJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:12 PM   #86
starlight_003
Mouseketeer

Just love the pirate cruise pictures. It looks so much fun. I know my son will love it when we go in April. I wish I could share the pic's with him but I can't give away the surprise I have plan on this trip. Your report makes me wish it was time to go now. Thanks for sharing.
starlight_003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:30 PM   #87
JoBird
Proud Charter Member of the Tagless Clique
I almost got a tag about clean butter but then the tag fairy saw I don't like tags

Quote:
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Red"]

Thanks!

I love that picture too. That is Jamaica. I really prefer the looks of Jamaica over Aruba. Not sure why. Maybe because that's where we stayed on our first WDW trip! Either way, Jamaica is a beautiful village!

That was our building! I think that Jamaica was the prettiest of all the buildings, but that's just me.

I think our ONLY big-ish gripe was that we were on the first floor, and right outside our door was the courtyard, where smokers gathered.
And being a nonsmoker, I didn't like having to walk thru the smoke to go anywhere--and- I really couldn't sit in the courtyard b/c there were always smoking going on. But that was the only thing and on a scale, it didn't even really register on the radar.
AND-- I mean truth be told... that could happen in any resort, so it didn't make my vacation any less pleasurable.

But yes... Jamaica. It was wonderful.

Jo
Old 01-30-2009, 01:37 PM   #88
NewCrew42
One Day I'll be a Galactic Hero!

Love your pics Shelly! I know your boys had so much fun on the pirate cruise!

POFQ - June 2014, POFQ - June 2013, POFQ - July 2010, Pop Century - March 2009, Pop Century - April 2008, Pop Century - May 2007, Contemporary - May 2006, Grand Floridian - May 2005, Contemporary - May 2004, Contemporary - May 2003, Off-site - June 1992
NewCrew42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:37 PM   #89
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJA View Post
Oh my gosh! Incredible report and pictures! Thanks so much for taking the time to post all of this. We are trying CBR for the first time in April (Easter) and have a pirate room booked. I am SO excited about how the kids can play on the beach in Jamaica and we can watch Illuminations at the same time! I didn't know that tidbit prior to reading your report.

I do know what the menu is at the food court, but could you elaborate a bit on what foods were "really" good? Could you make your own salad (tell them the ingrediants) or is it a pre-made salad with package dressings. Also, I understand there used to be a play area for the kids in the food court but they removed it. Any chance it was just temporary and there was a new one when you were there? We've stayed in a lot of disney resorts and I'm totally excited to try CBR! Thanks again for taking the time to post.
Thank you!

Congrats on your upcoming trip!

Yes, you can see Illuminations from many places at CBR. At the Jamaica beach you can see the higher ones. I think you may be able to see even more from the OPR/pool area!

When we stayed there in 2005 there was a coloring table area in the food court. I don't think it is there anymore. I didn't see it anyway.

As for the food at the food court, it is your average Disney fast food. But what was nice was that it was all freshly made when we ordered it. It hadn't been sitting around. I'm not sure about the salad thing. I don't think we had any salads there. I will be getting to pictures of the food and the food court soon. DH really loved the bacon double cheeseburger. DS9 really loved the pizza. The chicken and fries were good. And I had a wonderful strawberry-banana smoothie! Oh and all the breakfast foods were good, but the potatoes were a bit spicy for me that early in the morning!
Old 01-30-2009, 01:47 PM   #90
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Here are the pictures that DS9 took while on the Pirate Cruise.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: