Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
Picabo
"Hi, my name is Picabo & I'm a Disboard-o-holic!!"

Cape may Clam Bake - opinions please!

I really really am tempted to try the Cape May Clam Bake. Hubby and I love ribs and also clams. Are the ribs really yummy/tender? (If they are tough and dried out then no thanks!) And how about the clams? How are they and are they in a garlic butter sauce?

Is there good enough selection for kids/toddlers? We'll be staying at the Poly and just wondering if it's worth the extra effort to go there from our hotel or not.

Oh and how long is the walk to get from there into Epcot??

THANKS!

Picabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:49 PM   #2
bcrook
DIS Veteran

I spent an enchanting 3 days last summer at Beach Club. I enjoyed the pool, walking along the beach and boardwalk, and easy access to EPCOT. BUT, I really enjoyed my two meals at Cape May. The character breakfast was fantastic, and Clam Bake was awesome. The clams are steamed in their shells and melted butter is available. The ribs were not dried out, I thought they were yummy! Everything on the buffet suited me. My children had little trouble finding something to eat (they did avoid the clams!). I highly recommend the experience. Just remember it is a buffet, so that does significantly change the dining experience. It is a festive atmosphere.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

If you are looking for New England quality seafood you will be disappointed.That said this is one of our must dos.I can't comment on the seafood since I can't eat it.But there are plenty of non seafood choices and choices for the kiddies as well.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
Perditamarie
DIS Veteran

We ate here in Sept. and it was surprisingly good. There is a lot of selection..there was also a carving station, soups and nice salad bar, as well as sides, chicken nuggets, ribs, lots of sides and a nice desert selection. I would definately eat here again. My kids enjoyed it...of course my daughter's favorite was bread and butter!!
Old 01-28-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
Tina G
Mouseketeer

We've eaten at the clambake at CMC on both of our last trips. I don't eat seafood but DH loves it and this is his favorite meal. We are going again this May and he is insisting we eat there again. As a non-seafood eater, I love the buffet as well. I remember the ribs to be delicious both times. DH ate almost all the seafood - clams, mussels, shrimp, fish, etc. The clams are served steamed in a big pile and then the butter is on the side. Even as a non-seafood eater, this is one buffet that I usually have overeaten at as all of the food is good and there is a lot to pick from, a nice salad bar part and then all of the main food, breads, etc. I am usually so stuffed that I barely have room to taste the desserts. Our daughter was 5 on the first trip and then 8 on the last trip and she loved the buffet as well. They have the usual kids buffet and then of course the kids can eat any of the food from the regular buffet as well.

We have always felt that the price is a great value especially if you are a seafood eater. It's only $26.99 for adults and $12.99 for kids. Compared to the prices at other dinner buffets at Disney that don't have all the seafood, it's a great price. We stayed at the Poly on our last trip and we did the clambake on our Epcot day so we just left the park through the back entrance near England in the World Showcase and then it's about a 5 minute walk down the path to the Beach Club. If you are going there directly from the Poly, I guess you would take the monorail from the TTC to Epcot but then you will have to walk all the way to the back to exit toward the Beach Club. I would highly suggest coordinating the meal with spending time at Epcot as it will be a lot of time to get there just for the meal itself.
Tina G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:21 PM   #6
KatMark
DIS Veteran

We've eaten there twice. First time it was great, the second time so-so. Don't go expecting a lot of fish--you won't find it.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:26 PM   #7
Picabo

THANKS everyone! No we're not expecting tons of fish and neither of us has ever had "new england" style so we have no real expectation in that regard. We just love ribs and clams. haha And I'm sure that kids can pretty easily find things since it's a buffet. I'm glad to hear such positive reviews! Any pix???

THANKS again!

Old 01-28-2009, 04:56 PM   #8
ShannonMB
DIS Veteran

I hope Nikki doesn't mind my posting links to her dining review, but her pics made me absolutely consider the clam bake for an upcoming trip. Check this out!!!

http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=309

http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=310

She makes it look and sound amazing!!!!

ShannonMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:12 PM   #10
LUVDZNY2008
DIS Veteran

I've eaten dinner here three times and was pleased each time. My DS8 is
a VERY picky eater and he was eating the ribs!! We are definitely going
back.

BWV-2012, AKL-2010,2009, CSR-2008,2006 BC-2007,ASMo-2005, POR-2004, GF-1990 & many trips off property
LUVDZNY2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:34 PM   #11
pianoronni37
Building my Disney vacationer resume :)

Oh my goodness, I didn't know there was a clambake!!

Is this included in the DDP?

Heck, even if it isn't, I think I might have to stay an extra night to fit this into my ADRs!!!!
2011 02/11-02/16: POR
2012 01/22-01/28: POR
2014 02/22-03/02: POR
2015 04/12-04/15: DISNEYLAND!

pianoronni37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:18 PM   #12
Meriweather
Maybe we will have an arrival or two today
Time to share your chocolate!

We just ate there last night.
I am not a seafood eater, but I left stuffed. Ribs were good, chicken was great, roast beef yummy. Good salads and soup (last night was clam chowder and a bean soup). Super yummy desserts too.
DH loved the peel and eat shrimp, clams and mussels.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:34 PM   #13
colinsdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picabo View Post
THANKS everyone! No we're not expecting tons of fish and neither of us has ever had "new england" style so we have no real expectation in that regard. We just love ribs and clams. haha And I'm sure that kids can pretty easily find things since it's a buffet. I'm glad to hear such positive reviews! Any pix???

THANKS again!
I went in September, I'm from New England, we enjoyed ourselves and probably will go back when we stay at the BC in August.

However, the clams used are nothing like what you would find in a "New England" style clambake. We use the larger "steamers", but CM used the smaller "littleneck" type clams. They still were good, but they're not the type you can pull the clam out by the valve with your hand and dunk into the hot drawn butter. YUMMM!!! They are the type you have to pull out with a fork since they are so tiny. They do have a drawn butter for the clams, and another butter which was a little more spicy/flavorful for the mussels. BTW the mussels were pretty good too. I really didn't expect this, but the Chowder was surprisingly good. Also, my DS4 enjoyed the kids selections. Desserts were great, and we had one of the best servers at this dining location of our entire trip. So overall a great choice.

We used our DDP, but I think value wise its a good choice even if paying OOP.
My Disney Life Timeline - '73 CR 1st trip 3y/o, '74 Poly, '75 CR, '76 Disneyland, '77-80 (Offsite), '83 DWV, '85 '89 '91 (offsite), May '92 FWR, Mar '97 (BlueTree), Nov '97 (Westgate Lakes), Dec '98 Xmas @ OKW, Jan '00 Disneyland Paris, Sept '01 Trip Cancelled due to 9/11 God Bless America!, Oct '01 Disneyland, Oct '02 (Marriott Grande Vista), Nov '03 (Mystic Dunes), Sept '04 (Sheraton Vistana), May '05 All Star Sports, Nov '05 Disney's HHI, Jan '06 OKW, Oct '06 (Marriott Cypress Harbor), Oct '07 POP, Sept '08 BWV, May '09 VWL, Aug '09 BCV, Aug '10 (Marriott Sabal Palms), Mar '12 (Swan), Oct '13 (Marriott Grande Vista)
colinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:58 PM   #14
Picabo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonMB View Post
I hope Nikki doesn't mind my posting links to her dining review, but her pics made me absolutely consider the clam bake for an upcoming trip. Check this out!!!

http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=309

http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=310

She makes it look and sound amazing!!!!
OMG reading Nicki's reviews and seeing those pix is making my mouth water! Yummo! Thanks for tracking them down and posting the links!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyNicki View Post
It is out of this world, tons of buffet pics and review in my Oct link
You mentioned that they had that awsome looking fried talapia on Thurs/Fri. DO you (or anyone) know if that's still the case or would I be best to call there (how??) closer to when I have to make my ADR's to see if that is still when they have it. It looks DELICIOUS and I must try it so I will work my ADR's around fried talapia days! haha THANKS again!

Old 01-28-2009, 09:13 PM   #15
VLee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina G View Post
We stayed at the Poly on our last trip and we did the clambake on our Epcot day so we just left the park through the back entrance near England in the World Showcase and then it's about a 5 minute walk down the path to the Beach Club. If you are going there directly from the Poly, I guess you would take the monorail from the TTC to Epcot but then you will have to walk all the way to the back to exit toward the Beach Club.
Poster correct in that it would take at least 30 minutes to walk through Epcot if you took the monorail there from the Poly. If you are going directly from the Poly, I would suggest taking monorail or boat to Magic Kingdom and then riding a Beach Club bus from there directly to Beach Club or even taking a taxi, which would run about $14 to $15.
BWV - Boardwalk View - 10/2007 - Family Reunion!
OKW - Labor Day 2007 - Pirate & Princess Party
BWV/Beach Club -- 05/2007 -- The kids and Me!
VWL -- Christmas 2006 -Mom and Me!
AS Movies 09/2006 - Jen & Kids - Brant's 4th BD!
Beach Club Villa 05/2006 - Brant and Me
Wilderness Cabins/Old Key West 01/2006-Hollye's 6th!
Polynesian Resort / Beach Club Villa 9/2005-Jen & Kids
Pop Century/ Old Key West 05/2005 - The kids & Me
AS Movies/WL Villa/ PO French Qtr 10/2004-Halloween
Pop Century/Port Orleans FQ 05/2004 - Hollye and Me
BoardWalk Villa/WL Villa 12/2003 - First Christmas!
Polynesian Resort 05/2003 -- First Trip!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
VLee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: