Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side
very impulsive, which doesn’t bode well for our credit cards!
They don't call me "Clever Claire" for nothing!

Thumbs up Getting ill with the Maguire's!!! Day 16….Breakfast at Cindys, Yacht Club & Epcot.

Cast:

Me = Claire (33), massive Disney fan, chief planner…(a little on the OCD side ) obsessive shopper, addicted to scrapbooking and very impulsive which doesn’t bode well for our credit cards!

Hubby = Lee (34), not a massive Disney fan but still enjoys it, adrenaline junkie, easy going and the sensible half of our partnership!

16th December 2008

Thankfully Lee was feeling better & just suffering with a cough & muggy head this morning. I on the other hand was up half the night with a stomach ache. However I was determined not to let it ruin our day! The wake up call came at 7.15am & we got up, showered & dressed. I chucked the last few toiletries etc in the cases & called for a bellboy to collect & transfer our four suitcases to the Yacht Club for us. Whilst I waited Lee went to store our laptop & hand luggage in the boot of the car. Once the cases had been collected & Lee returned we went to take a final few pics of the Lodge as it was a slightly foggy morning and looked lovely.

We walked down to the boat dock.

...and caught the boat to the Magic Kingdom arriving just as the opening ceremony was finishing. We walked straight up Main Street & had to enter the castle from the back as they had closed the front walkways off ready for the castle forecourt show.

We checked in at the desk and were told to wait inside in the queue for our photo with Cinderella (which is included in the price). We waited about 10 mins & had our picture taken, I must say Cinderella was very sweet and asked if Lee was my prince charming. (I should say we have never met with any of the characters, other than Sulley & Mike, before so didn’t know what to expect). Our name was called & we were told to go straight upstairs and be seated. We had a table for two right at the window, this was our lovely view….

I also took a few pics of the restaurant.

I didn’t note the name of our server but he was very attentive & quickly fetched us a glass of fresh orange juice, along with a selection of Tea Bags & a pot of hot water, milk & sugar. Shortly followed by a basket of danishes, croissants & muffins & a bowl of fruit to share.

The waiter then bought over the hot food, consisting of 2 x slices of bacon, 2 x sausages, scrambled eggs, potatoes & a donut type thing which I can’t describe but it was lovely. Just as we started to eat the Princesses began to come around the tables, firstly Jasmine. (I should point out that I have cropped myself out of the photos as I looked like death warmed up due to my lack of sleep! )

Then Aurora:

Next was Belle:

Finally Snow White:

Once we had finished eating we paid the bill $95 + tip. It was a fantastic experience & we enjoyed it much more than we expected too, that said I think we would only go back if we went with children.

It was a beautiful sunny morning and we decide to get a few last photos of the castle on our way out of the park as we would not be coming back to the Magic Kingdom this trip.

It was empty in front of the castle so I quickly snapped this pic:

One last one:

We exited the park (with a tear in my eye…thankfully it was sunny so I had my sunglasses on) and got the boat back to the Wilderness Lodge. We took a few photos on the way back across Bay Lake.

The Grand Floridian:

The Contemporary & Bay Lake Towers:

Continued below....

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - 14n WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - 12n EBTA, Sept 2014 - 14n WBTA, May 2015 - 15n EBTA, Sept 2015 - West Coast Road trip & Disneyland
Pinky166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side

The monorail just arriving:

Hubby & I on the back of the boat (ignore the bags under my eyes please )

We collected the car from the car park & headed straight to the Yacht Club. We arrived around 11.30am & checked in, our room was ready. (Room 2055)

I loved this lamp:

Mickey towel:

The view looking out of our balcony doors:

The wonderful view of the Boardwalk from our balcony:

After exploring the room we decided to head over to Epcot.

We had a look around the lobby on the way out and took some photos of the Christmas tree:

They also had an amazing village with trains it was a huge display, the photos do not do it justice:

We didn’t realise how close Epcot was as we waited to get the boat! Whilst waiting we took some photos of the resort:

Stormalong Bay:

After two mins we got off the boat at Epcot and decided as it was 1pm to have a bite to eat, we choose the UK as I had heard good things on the DIS about Harry Ramsdens Fish & Chips. They were very nice.

Cont’d below…..

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - 14n WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - 12n EBTA, Sept 2014 - 14n WBTA, May 2015 - 15n EBTA, Sept 2015 - West Coast Road trip & Disneyland
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2009, 10:44 AM   #3
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side

After we had eaten we had a look around the shops in the UK then crossed the bridge to France where we saw Pere Noel I was standing next to another lady who was also taking a photo (rather than join the queue) he turned and waved at us and asked if we were the paparazzi.

We carried on around World Showcase & had a look around Morocco.

We timed arriving in Japan just as Miyuki was starting....WOW, we have never seen her before & was amazed at her Candy creations.

We had a look around the shops & had a sit down for a while as I was suffering with my stomach ache. We took a few photos then noticed Miyuki was due to start again so waited around to watch her again. I think our favourites were the lion, dragon & a humming bird.

As we reached America the Spirit of America Fife & Drum Corps were playing.

The Christmas tree & gingerbread house.

We also listened to Voices of Liberty, then continued round to Italy where we got an Ice Cream, Chocolate Gelato for me & Lemon sorbet for Lee. We had a look in the shops & took some photos.

We decided to go back to the Yacht club to get our cases & unpack & chill before getting ready for dinner. On the way back I stopped off at France & got a glass of Nuvo (sparkling vodka, served in a Champagne Flute) I had seen it in mentioned on the DIS & wanted to try it. OMG it was horrid....what a waste of $15!!! Oh well I guess now I know!

We exited the park and decided to skip the boat ( ) as we walked back we went through the Beach Club lobby to see their Christmas decorations, they had a fantastic Carousel (fully working) made out of gingerbread! They also had a Christmas tree.

We got back to the Yacht Club & had a look around the gift shop where I bought a Yacht Club pin & Christmas Tree Decoration. We went up to the room & called down for our cases, they were shortly delivered to the room by a lovely English guy who chatted to us for a while, he had been living in Orlando for 2 years as his wife is American. We unpacked one case (all we needed for the rest of the trip) & relaxed for an hour before getting showered & changed for dinner.

Our reservation was for 7.45pm at the Yachtsmen Steakhouse, we arrived a little early so checked in, picked up a pager & went to the bar for a drink, Lee had a coke & I had a Bahama Mama. We went through to the restaurant at around 8pm, for starters I had a Caesar salad & Lee had Seared Maine Diver Scallops which were served with diamond white cheddar risotto & sherry vinaigrette. My salad was nice but Lee was not impressed with his Scallops, he said they had bits in and thought they hadn’t been cleaned properly. For main course I ordered the Filet Mignon (no surprise there then) which I asked for fries instead of the mash & a peppercorn sauce on the side. Lee opted for the Australian Wagyu which he asked for medium/rare (as he always has it), once again mine was really nice but Lee’s was very rare & just full of gristle – he hardly ate any of it.
It was a waste of 2 table credits for Lee as he really didn’t enjoy it. I have heard such great things about this restaurant but what we experienced wasn’t great, my food was fine but Lee’s was terrible. The service was bad too, we hardly saw our waitress other than her taking the order then again when she cleared our main course plates, at which point she asked how Lee’s steak was (most of it was still on his plate) and he told her that it was too rare & gristly and she said well you should have let me know I would have cooked it more….what happened to you checking our food was ok whilst we were eating.

The table we were seated at was quite close to the one next to us which was empty when we got there but a couple were seated shortly after. They were very weird & barely spoke to one another???? They just sat staring at us & listening to our conversation the whole time. They really freaked us both out & we just wanted to go asap. We didn’t bother with desert, just paid the bill (4 TS credits & $23 for the starters, minimal tip.) and left. Overall I was very disappointed but may try it again this year as hopefully it was a one off bad day.

We went back to the room and caught the end of Illuminations from our balcony.

Coming up – Day 17 = Hollywood Studios!

Last edited by Pinky166; 01-27-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:24 AM   #4
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

Wow, your room at the Yacht Club looks amazing Great photos again Claire, though that Pere Noel looks a bit skinny to me

Another great day, though sorry you both didn't enjoy your meal at the Yachtsman Steakhouse

Thanks for sharing

mandymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
wils
Has had Capt. Jack Sparrow on her desktop !!??
Can't stop reading 'Lost' spoilers

Once again amazing photographs. The parks look deserted!
Old 01-27-2009, 11:47 AM   #6
saratogagirl
I need books, and wine and Ian in order to survive
I couldnt wipe bottoms of strangers
I am strangely refreshed this morning ... and I am off to the butchers soon

Wonderful piccies, look at skinny French Santa, that always makes me chuckle. Ah The Yachtsman, we had a wonderful meal there Christmas 2007, the best iof our trip, I couldnt wait to go back this year. What a disppointment we had, firstly it was freezing in there, Ian swapped seats with me as he thought I as under the vent, it was still freezing, our waiter asked why we had swapped seats, we explained about the vent, he said it has to be cold in here as us waiters have to wear jackets as part of our dress !! It was so cold that the waitress serving the table next to us wrapped the small children in tablecloths ... As for the food Ian got some sort of tomato dish to start, I had the bisque, followed by filet for Ian and New York Strip for me, no way was either steak medium, by that point I was too freezing to complain I just wanted to get out of there. We got back to Saratoga where I was as sick as a dog, so you could say my half of $160 literally went down the pan. We were so disappointed I can sympathise with you, it will be the Flying Fish all the way for us in future x
Old 01-27-2009, 12:14 PM   #7
wicket2005
Hasn't got a clue what a tag is
Christmassyfyed, yes I have had a glass of wine judging by that spelling

Beautiful photos as per usual and lovely report. Shame about your meal though.

1996, 1998, 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008x2, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014
wicket2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:28 PM   #8
Jets fan
DIS Veteran

Your photos are brilliant and very clear, thanks for sharing them.

Tina
Jets fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:58 PM   #9
CustardTart

I am sooo proud, happy, relieved and impressed - it's a great day...

Lovely photos, Claire! It's great to see pics of the Yacht and Beach Club resorts - I've stayed at both and love the EPCOT area...

Sorry to hear about your poor meal at The Yachtsman tho' - Sophie and I had an absolutely fantastic meal there in October 2007 and I really hope you try it again with better results...
Grand Floridian Resort & Spa - Christmas 1998 * Dolphin/Vero Beach - Easter 2000 * Polynesian - August 2001 * Grand Floridian Resort & Spa - August 2004 * Beach Club/DCL Wonder - May 2005 * Grand Californian Hotel - NYE 2005 * Polynesian - August 2006 * DCL Magic Western Caribbean - September 2007 * Yacht Club - October 2007 * Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa - December 2007 * Villas at Wilderness Lodge/DCL Wonder Double Dip - May 2008 * DCL Magic Mexican Riviera/Disneyland Hotel - August 2008 * Boardwalk Villas - October 2008 * Animal Kingdom Villas/Hard Rock Hotel Club - Easter 2009 * Bay Lake Tower/DCL Magic Eastern Caribbean & Tortola/Villas at Wilderness Lodge - September 2009 * Bay Lake Tower - June 2010 * DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic - September 2010 * Old Key West - October 2010 * Sequoia Lodge/Paris - November 2010 * Boardwalk Villas/DCL Dream Inaugural Cruise - January 2011 * Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa/Villas at Wilderness Lodge - November 2011 * Boardwalk Villas - July 2012 * Animal Kingdom Villas/DCL Fantasy Western Caribbean - November 2012 * Boardwalk Villas/Bay Lake Tower - January 2014...
CustardTart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:05 PM   #10
The Fetherstons
DIS Veteran

What fab photos claire, your room looks fab and I love the gingerbread carousel we will have to go around christmas time one year it looks amazing another great day

such a shame about your meal tho

MY ICE BUDDY IS MICHELLE - SNOWYGIRLS
Me (35) DH Craig (37) DS Adam (7)

1980 Disney0ff Site 1993/7 Disney Offsite, 2001 Honeymoon ASMusic
2005/6 ASMovies, 2007 Pop Century 2008 CBR, 2009 Tuscany Villa
The Fetherstons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:06 PM   #11
suzycute
DIS Veteran

I've enjoyed reading your reports - your photos are great too. Great idea to swap resorts - did you have a favourite?
Old 01-28-2009, 02:38 AM   #12
jjk

Pete and I wait and watch some lovely baby lizards
I have always booked myself
"Play Up Pompey"

amazing pictures again Claire,shame about your meal

[/IMG]

2000 Disneyland paris 2003 Ramada inn 2004 Quality inn plaza2005 Cumbrian lakes2006 Emerald Island July and December2007 Emerald Island May and July2008 Emerald Island and Contemporary Resort2009 Saratoga Springs 2010 Animal Kingdom lodge2011HRH Animal KingdomLodge 2012Holiday inn Miami ocean front /Animal Kingdom lodge
jjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:38 AM   #13
Snowy-girls
Did you speak to a 'human being'?
As you can see, all I have is a load of gobble-de-gook writing

Oh Claire what a fantastic day(apaer from the dodgy meal),your pics of Cindy's look fantastic+i really now can't wait for us all to go there for Chloe's 8th birthday.
Your room looks lovely.x.

Sweet Kitty Dreams La-La,Smudge,Sam+Max.Together Again.11:3:94-20:5:08.x.x.29:4:93-17:3:09.x.x.29:4:93-21:7:10.x.x.11:3:94-2:3:12.x.x.

NOV90Sheraton Anaheim CaliforniaSEP93Quality Inn I-DriveSEP95Holiday Inn I-DriveSEP97Castle Inn+Suites AnaheimSEP98-Best Western AnaheimAUG03Quality Inn I-DriveApr/May04Holiday Inn I-DriveApr09Embassy Suites I-Drive SouthApr11Quality Inn Plaza+Pop.Aug13Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,CSR+AKL With Free QSDP.AUG15Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,RPR+21 nights at OKW With Free DDP.
Snowy-girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:20 AM   #14
tennisfan
Was told off for sliding down the banister at the SL
South Africa or California for me
Popped to the Boots

DISboards Moderator

Your room looks lovely, shame about the meal & service though.

Trips:
DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, October, 1994, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 1998, DLRP - Hotel New York, June, 1999, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 1999, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 2000, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 2001, Walt Disney Studios preview, February, 2002, DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, August, 2002, New York City, Easter 2004, DLRP - Hotel New York, August, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, November, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, September, 2005, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, Easter 2007, DLRP - Kyriad, June 2007 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2009 DLRP - Day trip, November 2009 New York City, February 2010 DLRP - Disneyland Hotel, June 2010 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, September 2010 Stratosphere Hotel, Las Vegas, October 2010 DLRP - Day trip, January 2011, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, August 2011, DLRP - Day trip, January 2012, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2012, DLRP - Santa Fe, November 2012,
tennisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:58 AM   #15
raph_b
Proud Redhead

Glad Lee was feeling better today - maybe the thought of meeting all the princesses perked him up?!

Love the pics of Epcot, i love it there so much and love seeing other peoples pics of their days wandering around the place.

Shame the meal wasn't all that in the evening, I have heard very mixed reviews about the Yachtsman and never really fancied it that much myself.....
Feb 1999 - DLRP - Sequoia Lodge (4 nights)
May 2007 - DLRP - Daytrip
Sep 2008 - WDW - Offsite (2 weeks)
Mar 2009 - DLRP - Hotel New York (3 nights)
Nov 2009 - DLHK - Daytrip
Sep 2010 - WDW - Last trip before its time to have babies!

Thank you O' great Tag Fairy - You have made this Proud Redhead a very happy bunny!!
raph_b is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: