Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
SeaSpray

Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"

Parent's ads in senior year book... ideas needed!

I can't believe that my younger DS will be gratuating high school this year! Where did the time go?!

Anyway, I remember seeing some threads in years past, posted by people asking for ideas on what to say in the ad. I'll be including a pic of DS, just not sure if it'll be the pic of his first fishing trip when he was 6 and it shows him holding the fishing line with his first catch on the end of it, and he's beaming! OR a more recent pic taken a couple of years ago during a jazz band concert. DS is wearing sunglasses (they all wore them, sort of like Blues Bros) and he's playing bass.. the pic is taken from the side but you can definitely see his face. DS doesn't care which pic I use.

Anyway....can those of you who've done before please share your witty ideas? I think for DS20's parent ad I said something like "We're so proud of you and how creative you've always been, we know you'll do well in life" or something like that. DS20 moved out last month so I don't have his yearbook here to look back at.

Should I write something generic "We love you, we're proud of you, blah blah"? I'd like something a little more personal than that, but nothing too over the top.

Ideas appreciated, Thanks!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
John Terry Craig RobbyMushu BrownFamilyVacations.com

url=http://distickers.com/ticker/][/url]

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
SeaSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:31 PM   #2
Mouse House Mama
Luckiest Mommy in the World!!!
Hello-Buddy the Elf what's your favorite color?!
I wonder if they make pullups for adults
I was not the farter- I was the fartee

Write from your heart. You can't go wrong with that.
Thanks be to God for this indescribable gift....
WL Sept. 2004,Poly June 2005,Poly April 2006 with Grandma & Grandpa, Pop Aug. 2006, WL Dec. 2006, FW Cabins Feb. 2007,AllStar Music Jan. 2008, Poly Aug. 2008,Yacht Club Aug. 2009, Poly Aug. 2009, Pop Aug. 2011, Pop May 2012, All Star Music June 2013, Bonnet Creek July 2013
Mouse House Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2009, 08:36 PM   #3
SeaSpray

Call me "impatient"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse House Mama View Post
Write from your heart. You can't go wrong with that.

Great advice...I'm already sitting here with tears in my eyes, just thinking of all of the things I'd like to say to my son. (I'm such a sap! LOL) He has turned into an excellent young man whom I find extremely interesting, talented, creative, funny, hardworking, intelligent, and compassionate. He's very sensible, yet he's also a dreamer. I'm so proud to be his mother.

I guess I have to be careful with going overboard and possibly embarrassing him...LOL VS wanting it to be sincere.

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
Old 01-26-2009, 08:39 PM   #4
Mouse House Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpray View Post
Great advice...I'm already sitting here with tears in my eyes, just thinking of all of the things I'd like to say to my son. (I'm such a sap! LOL) He has turned into an excellent young man whom I find extremely interesting, talented, creative, funny, hardworking, intelligent, and compassionate. He's very sensible, yet he's also a dreamer. I'm so proud to be his mother.

I guess I have to be careful with going overboard and possibly embarrassing him...LOL VS wanting it to be sincere.
Then that is what you should write. Don't worry about embarrassing him. I would have loved it if my parents wrote something like that even if I was embarrassed at the time. Telling your kids how proud you are of them never ever gets old to them.
WL Sept. 2004,Poly June 2005,Poly April 2006 with Grandma & Grandpa, Pop Aug. 2006, WL Dec. 2006, FW Cabins Feb. 2007,AllStar Music Jan. 2008, Poly Aug. 2008,Yacht Club Aug. 2009, Poly Aug. 2009, Pop Aug. 2011, Pop May 2012, All Star Music June 2013, Bonnet Creek July 2013
Old 01-26-2009, 08:45 PM   #5
SeaSpray

Call me "impatient"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse House Mama View Post
Then that is what you should write. Don't worry about embarrassing him. I would have loved it if my parents wrote something like that even if I was embarrassed at the time. Telling your kids how proud you are of them never ever gets old to them.
Thanks, you've inspired me to write from my heart... Here is what I have so far:

Robby

In what seems like the blink of an eye, you’ve gone from being an active pre-schooler who used to beat me at Mario Kart, to what you are now - a strong, interesting, talented, creative, funny, hardworking, intelligent, and compassionate young man who we are all so very proud of.

We all love you very much!

Mom, John, Dad, Gina, Craig, Ross

P.S. The comment about Mario Kart I think he'll get a kick out of because we laugh about that, even to this day! We remember when he was 4 years old, and he and I would play Mario Kart in the family room, while we waited for his older brothers to get home from school. He used to beat me all the time! LOL

[/center]
Old 01-26-2009, 09:11 PM   #6
ColoradoBuffaloMom
DIS Veteran
My kids make fun of me because I get teary eyed at so many things
WISHing my way to success!

That is absolutely perfect! Funny and personal, yet sentimental

I also struggled with what to say to my daughter last year and what to say to my son this year. I wanted to be witty, sentimental, not too embarrassing, and let them know how proud we are of them all in 250 letters and spaces or less.

For my daughter I wrote something about following her dreams and staying true to herself since she is very level headed and stands up to peer pressure well. For my son I wrote something about him being witty and kind and intelligent and told him to text us at least every once in awhile when he goes off to college.
ColoradoBuffaloMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:19 PM   #7
SeaSpray

Call me "impatient"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoBuffaloMom View Post
That is absolutely perfect! Funny and personal, yet sentimental

I also struggled with what to say to my daughter last year and what to say to my son this year. I wanted to be witty, sentimental, not too embarrassing, and let them know how proud we are of them all in 250 letters and spaces or less.

For my daughter I wrote something about following her dreams and staying true to herself since she is very level headed and stands up to peer pressure well. For my son I wrote something about him being witty and kind and intelligent and told him to text us at least every once in awhile when he goes off to college.
Thanks I actually just added the last line to my ad, to say something similar to what you wrote "Stay true to yourself and you will succeed in everything you do". My DS is also level headed and has resisted a lot of peer pressure over the years. Fortunately, he's always had a great group of close friends (boys and girls) which I know helps too.

I think that I'm feeling more nostalgic and emotional this time because DS17 is my last one in high school and my "baby". lol

[/center]
Old 01-27-2009, 06:08 AM   #8
Mouse House Mama

I think that ad sounds perfect.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:10 AM   #9
Charade
I'm the one on the LEFT side of my avatar!
Yanno, stooopid shouldn't be that funny
Poop flush, poop flush, poop flush, THEN wipe flush and so on

An ad in a yearbook? Is this something new?
Offsite 97,99,00,01,02,03,04,05,05,06,07,08
Onsite CBR 06,Dolphin 08
Next trip: ????

This siggy approved by SwedishMeatball
Charade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:23 AM   #10
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

I did my ad (half page) a few months ago and, of course, I came to the DIS for help. I wish I could find the old thread!

I think what you've written is great.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:06 AM   #11
NMAmy
Can speak food in German
He seemed so normal when I met him
It's not like I'm getting any special sanitation type service
I'm old school-I like my cartoon rodents to be mice

Since dd is the yearbook editor, she asked me to give the information directly to her teacher so it would be a surprise for her when she sees the completed yearbook. Here's what I ended up using for dd's:

"It's time to trust your instincts, close your eyes and leap!
Everyone deserves a chance to fly,
It's time to try defying gravity." -Wicked

It has been a privilege and an honor to watch you grow up to become such an incredible person. We're so very proud of you, Caitie, and we hope you're happy now and in the future. You deserve the very best that life has to offer.

With all our love,
Mommy and Alex
Old 01-27-2009, 07:36 AM   #12
ozarkmom
DIS Veteran

Gosh I just sat down and wrote what was in my heart. You do that and it'll be perfect!
ozarkmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: