Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2014, 07:43 PM   #1
old lady
DIS Veteran

No Marvel rides at Disney

It is strange that there is no Marvel rides at Disney and yet they own the company. There are more Marvel rides at Universal studios who doesn't own them.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:56 PM   #2
disney world dreamer
Mouseketeer

universal's contract with marvel before disney bought marvel is still in place.
there's probably an agreement for disney to not build any marvel themed rides until the universal contract is up (or disney may decide to continue to let universal own and operate their marvel rides with the marvel theme).

in any event disney is still making money by offering marvel merchandise.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-16-2014, 08:36 PM   #3
flyersfan1129
Mouseketeer

The Universal contract is still in place in Florida, so Disney can't do anything there until it expires. And that won't be for a very, very long time.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:39 PM   #4
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan1129 View Post
The Universal contract is still in place in Florida, so Disney can't do anything there until it expires. And that won't be for a very, very long time.
My understanding is they can do some things, but only with more obscure Marvel characters. This is why we're getting GOTG and soon Big Hero 6.

FastPass+ Basic Information, Suggested Priorities, And Strategies--Part II
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:09 PM   #5
agavegirl1
DIS Veteran

The contract between Marvel and Universal does not expire. Universal has the rights to Marvel Characters currently in their parks and directly related to the Avenger characters in perpetuity east of the Mississippi. The characters can and do appear in the California Parks and other countries. Universal does have to share the wealth so to speak as far as the licensed merchandise sold in their parks. Disney could buy out the theme park rights for the characters from Universal for a very large sum of cash.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:23 PM   #6
ucfknight
Go Knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan1129 View Post
Forever is a very long time.
ucfknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:26 PM   #7
ucfknight
Go Knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
My understanding is they can do some things, but only with more obscure Marvel characters. This is why we're getting GOTG and soon Big Hero 6.
From the contract (anywhere it says MCA, read it as "Universal Studios"):

If no action is taken by MCA, such exclusivity shall be limited as follows:

i. East of The Mississippi - any other theme park is limited to using characters not currently being used by MCA at the time such other license is granted. [For purpose of this subsection and subsection iv, a character is “being used by MCA” if (x) it or another character of the same “family” (e.g., any member of THE FANTASTIC FOUR, THE AVENGERS or villains associated with a hero being used) is more than an incidental element of an attraction, is presented as a costumed character, or is more than an incidental element of the theming of a retail store or food facility; and, (y) in addition, if such character or another character from the same “family” is an element in any MCA marketing during the previous year. Any character who is only used as a costume character will not be considered to be “being used by MCA” unless it appears as more than an incidental element in MCA’s marketing.]
ucfknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:31 PM   #8
Bluegrrl
Mouseketeer

To my understanding, Disney really wanted the movies, not really the theme park stuff. I think they may be content with that. I could be wrong though. I think it would be easier to let Universal built the attractions and then collect rent on the park.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:32 PM   #9
disnut8
DIS Veteran

I think of it simply. A "going forward" thing. So, most things in the past aren't going to result in a new attraction at Disney World. But new things that are done by Disney COULD.

Also, the agreement is fairly new and given the length of time for Disney to plot and plan and imagine a new attraction, it could be at least two-five years for anything Marvel related to appear.

I'd rather have Disney do an full experience than just slap up a roller coaster and say IT'S MARVEL! IT'S HERE!
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: