Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2009, 03:42 PM   #136
lisalonglash
I have a thing for actors nobody else thinks are yummalicious

That's a tough one for two adults - very close in price! I'm not sure what I'd do in your place, sorry If you're worried about your dh not being happy with WDW's dining choices, that's probably one big con to the DDP for your family kwim? Of course, if you show him the menus and he thinks he'd be happy eating on-site, then go for the DDP - less to think about once you're on-site

Free dining would be a significant savings for us - for our family of four, DDP would cost us US$910 for our 7 night vacation (2 x adults, 1 x 10yo, 1 x 7yo = US$130/day). My 40% code at ASMu is currently saving us about US$300 for 7 nights. Not a hard choice for us, should FD come available!
Me and dh Ds#1(14yo) Ds#2(11yo)

September 2013 - Disney World w/FD (POFQ)
September 2009 - Disney World w/FD(ASMu)
October 2008 - Disney World (ASSp)
May 2007 - Disneyland Resort Paris (off-site in Paris)
Old 02-24-2009, 06:07 PM   #137
WDWRocksMySocks
maybe I just have mullets on the brain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnpalm View Post
I am a HUGE fan of Disney food so I would vote for Free Dining. Even if your DH is a picky eater, there are soooo many different restaurants at Disney. Maybe you could have him look over the menus at allears.net with you and pick out things he'd like? There's a ton of awesome info over on the restaurant board.
You know, I've been to WDW so much yet have NEVER taken advantage of the DDP! Crazy, eh? We've never been during free dining, and have never thought it would be beneficial since we like to go off-site too. We've decided to sit down and check out the menus together. I'm currently narrowing down options of places I'd like to go, so cross your fingers for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalonglash View Post
That's a tough one for two adults - very close in price! I'm not sure what I'd do in your place, sorry If you're worried about your dh not being happy with WDW's dining choices, that's probably one big con to the DDP for your family kwim? Of course, if you show him the menus and he thinks he'd be happy eating on-site, then go for the DDP - less to think about once you're on-site

Free dining would be a significant savings for us - for our family of four, DDP would cost us US$910 for our 7 night vacation (2 x adults, 1 x 10yo, 1 x 7yo = US$130/day). My 40% code at ASMu is currently saving us about US$300 for 7 nights. Not a hard choice for us, should FD come available!
Yeah, it's a hard decision for the two of us! I'm starting to get pulled in though, after looking at all the menus. ARGH, this is HARD!!!

I think it's supposed to be offered through October 1st -- at least that's what the pin offer states. So, assuming it's offered to the general public again, you should be able to get it for your trip! That would be a great savings for you guys.
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2009, 07:19 PM   #138
HeatherBelle614
Always wishing on a star!

Yup, I think he has already downloaded every Disney song out there - theme park and soundtrack related. Haha. The main movie on his list is Brother Bear. That's his fav, and what my PTR is named after. (Although, no one ever figured it out when I asked people to guess! Haha.)

I love TS meals at WDW, so I'd have to say go with DDP PIN; that's what we're doing, actually!

Working on a fantastic dream now; new ticker to come soon!
Old 02-24-2009, 08:22 PM   #139
debraW76
DIS Veteran

How did you get free dining? Was that a public code or a pincode?

We did FD in october and loved it. But we were feeding 6 kids! Honestly if it were just DH and me, I would like the freedom of being able to eat anywhere in Orlando and not be confined to Disney. But with a family it is more convenient to eat in the parks or resort than to get everyone loaded in the car and drive anywhere.

Tough choice.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:10 AM   #140
WDWRocksMySocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherBelle614 View Post
Yup, I think he has already downloaded every Disney song out there - theme park and soundtrack related. Haha. The main movie on his list is Brother Bear. That's his fav, and what my PTR is named after. (Although, no one ever figured it out when I asked people to guess! Haha.)

I love TS meals at WDW, so I'd have to say go with DDP PIN; that's what we're doing, actually!
Don't you just love Disney music? It makes me so happy! In fact, I'm listening to the DIS Radio station on Live365 right now wishing I was at WDW. Sigh...

What's your favorite TS restaurant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by debraW76 View Post
How did you get free dining? Was that a public code or a pincode?

We did FD in october and loved it. But we were feeding 6 kids! Honestly if it were just DH and me, I would like the freedom of being able to eat anywhere in Orlando and not be confined to Disney. But with a family it is more convenient to eat in the parks or resort than to get everyone loaded in the car and drive anywhere.

Tough choice.
We have a pin, but I'm sure it will be offered to the public some time in April.

Ooh, I bet that saved you a bunch with 6 kids! It's so hard trying to decide w/ just two people. We'll have a car, so it really makes sense to just do our own thing and not worry about the DDP. Plus, when I told DH that we would do the DDP, he was sad about missing out on Flippers, Sweet Tomatoes and Carrabba's. Ha!
Old 02-25-2009, 08:27 AM   #141
WDWRocksMySocks

Airfare update...

I received an email alert from Expedia this morning. They are having a US Fare Sale with fares starting at $46/one way. You must book by Thursday, March 5 and travel by November 4. Once I saw that, I knew I should check it out. Here's what I found:

Expedia: $166.20/round trip on AirTran + $15 checked baggage fee = $181.20/each

AirTrain website: $159.20/round trip + $15 checked baggage fee = $174.20/each

A part of me thinks I should wait and see what Southwest has to offer. I still have about a month until they release their August date. I'm sure I'll still be able to find something below $180 if I wait a month, right?
Old 02-25-2009, 08:33 AM   #142
Beka
Goes to 11

Oh my god, that pic of you at Christmas is cracking me up! I'm totally on!

Trips to see The Mouse
1984 1988 1992 1994 1995 1996 2009 2010 2012 2013
Old 02-25-2009, 08:35 AM   #143
tinkgurl
Life is what happens in between trips to WDW
Those "flying cookies" flying through space can be seen
I'm hoping that the little guy likes them!

I love the Dining Plan!
Old 02-25-2009, 09:08 AM   #144
Beka
Goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWRocksMySocks View Post
So...a few weeks ago I opened up my email and found the elusive 40% pin code waiting for me!!!!!!
I *clearly* have been reading too much of my nursing text books, and not enough Disney. What the heck is this 40% thing?

Trips to see The Mouse
1984 1988 1992 1994 1995 1996 2009 2010 2012 2013
Old 02-25-2009, 09:23 AM   #145
WDWRocksMySocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beka View Post
Oh my god, that pic of you at Christmas is cracking me up! I'm totally on!

Thanks for stopping by! Ha, isn't that pic awesome? It's definitely one of my best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkgurl View Post
I love the Dining Plan!
I think everyone is pushing me towards that direction. I really want to try it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beka View Post
I *clearly* have been reading too much of my nursing text books, and not enough Disney. What the heck is this 40% thing?
WHAT?! You mean, you'd rather study then waste countless hours on DIS?! For shame! I'm right there w/ you. I'm studying for the LSAT and take time in between to get my Disney fix.

The 40% offer is a room only discount. It was sent to randomly selected recipients through email or snail mail. I'm not really sure if there is any rhyme or reason how you get selected. I am registered online, and figure that's how I got the email.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:43 AM   #146
debraW76
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ooh, I bet that saved you a bunch with 6 kids! It's so hard trying to decide w/ just two people. We'll have a car, so it really makes sense to just do our own thing and not worry about the DDP. Plus, when I told DH that we would do the DDP, he was sad about missing out on Flippers, Sweet Tomatoes and Carrabba's. Ha!
Yes it did. We hardly ever buy convenient food (drinks, popcorn, etc) in the park. Simply because buying say one snack times 6 would be almost $30! But with the dining plan the kids got to get at least one treat a day. That saved us several times because we could give them sugar when they were reaching their limit. Just enough of a boost to make it through one more ride!

Off topic but I have a funny story about Carrabbas. I went there once (in Bham) with some friends. I ordered a cup of coffee. Afterwards, I was wanting a refill and seeing how the waitress didn't pick up on the fact my cup was empty I decided to ask. "Could I get another cup of coffee please?" She looked at me funny and asked back "You want another cup of coffee?" Again with a puzzled look on her face. "Yes, please" I responded. and away she went.

A few minutes later she brought me another cup of coffee. Oh well, I thought. Maybe it was easier than just refilling the cup I already had. So we finish our meal and when she brings me my bill she charged me for 2 cups of coffee. Yes, TWO cups of coffee.

I stopped her and asked if they didn't have free refills on coffee. She said "Yes, we do offer free refills but you asked for another cup." I just sat there in complete disbelief until finally she got it. "Oh!" she said. And took the other charge off my bill.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:17 AM   #147
DisneymoonJess07
I <3 Disney - can I go back now??

So I read your whole thread last night and then didn't say anything or subscribe or anything...

Hi

I feel you on the grumpy husband. Mine was not thrilled about going, but seems to be getting more and more into it as things progress. I haven't talked yet to him about doing anything to make things "real" but that's besides the point

Hope your day is going well.

PTR: MAY we go to Disney? Yes we MAY! May 2014
Our Trip Report: "Say Hi to Mickey for me!" - A Disneymoon Two Years in the Making *unfinished*
Our Pre-Trip Report - 2nd Anniversary Disneymoon Sept. 2009
Booed by n2wdisneyw!
1991 - offsite , 1994 - offsite , 1996 - offsite , 1999 - ASSp , 2009 - POR! w/free dining! 2014 - ?
Old 02-25-2009, 01:33 PM   #148
WDWRocksMySocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by debraW76 View Post
Yes it did. We hardly ever buy convenient food (drinks, popcorn, etc) in the park. Simply because buying say one snack times 6 would be almost $30! But with the dining plan the kids got to get at least one treat a day. That saved us several times because we could give them sugar when they were reaching their limit. Just enough of a boost to make it through one more ride!

Off topic but I have a funny story about Carrabbas. I went there once (in Bham) with some friends. I ordered a cup of coffee. Afterwards, I was wanting a refill and seeing how the waitress didn't pick up on the fact my cup was empty I decided to ask. "Could I get another cup of coffee please?" She looked at me funny and asked back "You want another cup of coffee?" Again with a puzzled look on her face. "Yes, please" I responded. and away she went.

A few minutes later she brought me another cup of coffee. Oh well, I thought. Maybe it was easier than just refilling the cup I already had. So we finish our meal and when she brings me my bill she charged me for 2 cups of coffee. Yes, TWO cups of coffee.

I stopped her and asked if they didn't have free refills on coffee. She said "Yes, we do offer free refills but you asked for another cup." I just sat there in complete disbelief until finally she got it. "Oh!" she said. And took the other charge off my bill.
I bet those snack credits came in handy when the blood sugar levels were dropping. Have you even seen the "John & Kate Plus 8" WDW episode? All their kids start having breakdowns b/c it's midday and their blood sugar levels are dropping. Oh my gosh, it's horrible but also hilarious. I can laugh now b/c I don't have kids. But, it won't be funny when I'm in that situation.

Your Carrabba's story cracked me up. That poor, POOR waitress. She didn't sound very bright. At least she didn't make you pay for the second cup. That's just too funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneymoonJess07 View Post
So I read your whole thread last night and then didn't say anything or subscribe or anything...

Hi

I feel you on the grumpy husband. Mine was not thrilled about going, but seems to be getting more and more into it as things progress. I haven't talked yet to him about doing anything to make things "real" but that's besides the point

Hope your day is going well.
Hey Jess, welcome! Thanks for stopping by and delurking yourself. I always wonder how to suck people in and post on my PTR. It's hard!

Glad to hear he's coming along. My DH is too...but VERY SLOWLY (think snail pace). This is actually going to be our first trip away as a married couple. We weren't able to afford a honeymoon when we got married (3 years ago this June) and we've traveled w/ family a few times since, but nothing alone. I'm so excited!!
Old 02-25-2009, 01:37 PM   #149
tinkgurl
Life is what happens in between trips to WDW
Those "flying cookies" flying through space can be seen
I'm hoping that the little guy likes them!

Honestly, with the dining plan, everyone gets an entree and dessert...we thought it was well worth it because we have been able to try things that we normally wouldn't have tried! I say go with it. Besides...you'll be walking it all off at the parks.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:57 PM   #150
DisneymoonJess07
I <3 Disney - can I go back now??

Quote:
Hey Jess, welcome! Thanks for stopping by and delurking yourself. I always wonder how to suck people in and post on my PTR. It's hard!

Glad to hear he's coming along. My DH is too...but VERY SLOWLY (think snail pace). This is actually going to be our first trip away as a married couple. We weren't able to afford a honeymoon when we got married (3 years ago this June) and we've traveled w/ family a few times since, but nothing alone. I'm so excited!!
This is exactly our situation, except that we have done one family trip and by the time we get to Disney a couple of smaller trips but to visit people (or schools) so no real honeymoon. We are super excited for an actual honeymoon!!

PTR: MAY we go to Disney? Yes we MAY! May 2014
Our Trip Report: "Say Hi to Mickey for me!" - A Disneymoon Two Years in the Making *unfinished*
Our Pre-Trip Report - 2nd Anniversary Disneymoon Sept. 2009
Booed by n2wdisneyw!
1991 - offsite , 1994 - offsite , 1996 - offsite , 1999 - ASSp , 2009 - POR! w/free dining! 2014 - ?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: