Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2009, 10:46 AM   #16
disney_mommy
"Dear god, what am I doing? This is half a man."

Day 4 - Magic Kingdom

This morning, we got up early and just had pop tarts in our room as we were getting ready - we had to rush over to MK as soon after rope-drop as possible.

For lunch, we went to Tony's Town Square for our 12:00 ADRs. This is the restaurant that is "inspired by the charming Italian trattoria where Lady and the Tramp share spaghetti and a kiss in the Disney classic animated film, Lady and the Tramp." It is very nice, very peaceful and quiet. We didn't have to wait long before we were seated.

The menu is not very vegetarian friendly, so I made up my own sandwich - the meatball submarine without meatballs ($10.19 - $1.30 less than menu price)! It was the sub bread, carmelized onions, marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese. It was very tasty. The onions were sweet and the sauce was good, very mild.

Mom got the spaghetti with no meatballs ($14.69) and thought it was very good as well.

Our waiter was friendly and always ready with more diet coke when our glasses ran low. Overall, based on food and price and atmosphere, this is a place we will definitely consider in the future, but it will not be a necessity.

For dinner, we drove over to Fort Wilderness (well, first we drove to Wilderness Lodge - but that's a whole 'nother story!). We drove around forever and couldn't find the restaurant. Finally we come to the conclusion that you have to park in the main parking lot and be bussed to the restaurant via the resort bus system. By this time we were tired and hungry and cranky (the cranky was mostly because we were sad to be leaving the next day), so we decided to just head back to MK and get something there.

We decided to try Crystal Palace (this was around 6:45) and they told us to come back after 8:00 and see if we could get in then. So we just stood nearby and watched the parade. This was the first time we had ever seen it and really enjoyed it. At 7:45, we put our name down and watched the fireworks from a bench in front of the restaurant (which we made a note to do next time we're there) and finally, around 8:30 we were seated.

The buffet ($30.99) had several different salads and garlic mashed potatoes (yum!), broccoli, veggie medley with balsamic glaze, mac and cheese, rice, tofu curry, fire roasted corn spoon bread, prime rib, turkey, cheese pizza, mushroom and chicken pasta, chicken fingers, vegetable pasta. All of the food (except the mashed potatoes) was fine, unexceptional and not worth the hefty price tag. The desserts were average, too.

But, we know Crystal Palace is about the atmosphere, not the food. It is bright and pretty and loud and the characters are the best part. We might go back in the future (if we have a ton of extra money we need to spend and a hankering to see Winnie the Pooh).

"Now sometimes you're up and sometimes you're down. When you find that you're down, well, just look around. You still got a body, good legs and fine feet, get your head in the right place and hey you're complete!" ~Jackalope

June 2003-AKL for DS's 5th birthday April 2006-7 Night Western June 2007-Surprise Disney World for DS's 9th birthday, offsite December 2007-7 Night Eastern June 2008-AK & Epcot in one day, offsite January 2009-A Diva and Her Mom Invade Disney, CBR March 2010-Princess Half-Marathon, AKV October 2010-Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, offsite (thanks Deb, you rock!)
February 2011-Girlfriend Trip, offsite (Deb, you still rock!)
disney_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:56 AM   #17
engle
DIS Veteran

It is nice to hear a vegetarian review....while I am not one, I have several friends who are and are always seeking veggie friendly places!! Great reviews!!
engle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2009, 01:15 PM   #18
skellingtonfreak
Disney is my life...you have a problem with that?

Good job on the reviews. Always glad to hear someone else's experiences.
skellingtonfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:07 AM   #19
Disney owl
DIS Veteran

enjoying these

JUNE 1996 & JUNE 1998 JUNE 2005 DLP - Camp Davy Crockett
AUGUST 2000 & OCT 2002 SEPT 2008 DLP - Offsite
JUNE 2001 AUGUST 2003 & 2007, SEPT2010 WDW - Offsite
Disney owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:40 PM   #20
mrsturtle
nj mom of 2 boys

nice reviews. you just confirmed my choice of kona (vs. o'hana). we have several vegetarians in our party and i want to make sure they can find something (which also tastes good) to eat. keep 'em coming!!!

me DH DS (3) DS (2)

poly 1977
offsite the early 80's
offsite 1991
POFQ 1997
CB 1999
BCV 2009
mrsturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:22 AM   #21
DWFan4Life
DIS Veteran

You had a great review. Looking forward for more of you.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by DWFan4Life; 01-26-2009 at 08:32 PM.
DWFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:05 PM   #22
uttu
Disney Newbie

I loved you reviews. We might sneak in Tusker house and try to get ADR at BOMA. We are all Vegeterians also in our household and your reviews helped.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:51 PM   #23
DashMom
Mouseketeer

I just got back from a long weekend at WD. I'm an "almost vegetarian" (I eat fish)

I had an awesome Vegetarian Pot Pie at the Liberty Tavern in the Magic Kingdom. It was so good! They gave me the recipe.

I also loved Boma for breakfast (we stayed at the AKL) There were some nice choices at Jiko as well. The Falafel at the Mara was yummy too.

I had the goat cheese salad at Sunshine Seasons. I have had it on other trips and it was delicious. It was just so so this time.

Thanks for your review!
DashMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:13 PM   #24
disney_mommy

Day 5 - Downtown Disney

Today, we are heading home, so no parks. We have a pop tart in the room, then for lunch we go to the Wolfgang Puck Cafe in DTD. Our ADR was for 11:30 and we arrived around 11:20. They told us we would have to wait until 11:30 to sit, but it was only about 5 minutes before we were seated. They were going to sit us at a table at a corner pointing in, kind of sticking out into the room, but I asked if we could sit by a window, and they sat us right down in front of the big window in the main dining room.

This has to be my favorite themed restaurant from our whole trip. It was so bright and colorful. The tiling everywhere was so pretty. All through lunch, I kept saying, it is so pretty in here.

Mom had the pumpkin ravioli with chicken ($22.90) and said it was very good. I had the margherita pizza ($12.95) and thought it was fabulous. I'm a pizza snob and don't like many pizzas, but this one was so yummy I had to stop myself from eating all of it. It was large and I had 3 pieces left over. We were flying home in a few hours, or I would have let our waitress box it up for me.

The waitress was very good, very prompt with our drink refills and other requests.

We will definitely make this a regular restaurant for our DTD days. If that pasta (and margarita!) hadn't been so darn good at Kona, this would be my favorite restaurant in all of Disney.

So, there you have it. This is the end of my food review. I wish I had taken pictures of the meals, but I wasn't thinking about doing a report while I was there. I'll know better next time!

Thank you to everyone who read this. I hope I was able to help someone in their planning. Please feel free to stop by my trip report here.

Thanks again for reading and farewell!

"Now sometimes you're up and sometimes you're down. When you find that you're down, well, just look around. You still got a body, good legs and fine feet, get your head in the right place and hey you're complete!" ~Jackalope

June 2003-AKL for DS's 5th birthday April 2006-7 Night Western June 2007-Surprise Disney World for DS's 9th birthday, offsite December 2007-7 Night Eastern June 2008-AK & Epcot in one day, offsite January 2009-A Diva and Her Mom Invade Disney, CBR March 2010-Princess Half-Marathon, AKV October 2010-Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, offsite (thanks Deb, you rock!)
Old 01-28-2009, 01:17 PM   #25
disney_mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashMom View Post
I had an awesome Vegetarian Pot Pie at the Liberty Tavern in the Magic Kingdom. It was so good! They gave me the recipe.
I didn't know they had a veggie pot pie anywhere at the World. I haven't had a pot pie in nearly 10 years, since I stopped eating meat! I would have loved to try that. I'll make sure to put that on my must-visit list for next time. Thanks!

Old 01-28-2009, 01:32 PM   #26
disney_mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerKat View Post
Jumping in here.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Count me in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalielongstaff View Post
And me
Quote:
Originally Posted by danalee View Post
me to, me to!
Quote:
Originally Posted by msce2 View Post
I'm jumping on the bandwagon! Great reviews so far!
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzimar57 View Post
you're doing a great job so far with your reviews!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissalee View Post
Great reviews - looking forward to the rest!
Quote:
Originally Posted by engle View Post
It is nice to hear a vegetarian review....while I am not one, I have several friends who are and are always seeking veggie friendly places!! Great reviews!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellingtonfreak View Post
Good job on the reviews. Always glad to hear someone else's experiences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney owl View Post
enjoying these
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsturtle View Post
nice reviews. you just confirmed my choice of kona (vs. o'hana). we have several vegetarians in our party and i want to make sure they can find something (which also tastes good) to eat. keep 'em coming!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFan4Life View Post
You had a great review. Looking forward for more of you.

Have a nice day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uttu View Post
I loved you reviews. We might sneak in Tusker house and try to get ADR at BOMA. We are all Vegeterians also in our household and your reviews helped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashMom View Post
I just got back from a long weekend at WD. I'm an "almost vegetarian" (I eat fish)

I also loved Boma for breakfast (we stayed at the AKL) There were some nice choices at Jiko as well. The Falafel at the Mara was yummy too.

I had the goat cheese salad at Sunshine Seasons. I have had it on other trips and it was delicious. It was just so so this time.

Thanks for your review!

Thank you so much to everyone for your encouragement! It was so nice to recieve such positive feedback from my first report. I appreciate you taking the time to give me your opinions. You guys rock!

Old 01-28-2009, 07:48 PM   #27
minniemousepancake
Earning My Ears

thanks!

Thank you so much for all these reviews! I'm a vegetarian and I'm trying to figure out where to make all my ADR's. Your reviews helped me to make some decisions! (I'm excited to try that vegetarian tofu noodle thing at Kona!)

Thanks again for posting these wonderful reviews!
January 2011: Off property with the whole family
minniemousepancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:47 AM   #28
disney_mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemousepancake View Post
Thank you so much for all these reviews! I'm a vegetarian and I'm trying to figure out where to make all my ADR's. Your reviews helped me to make some decisions! (I'm excited to try that vegetarian tofu noodle thing at Kona!)

Thanks again for posting these wonderful reviews!
I'm so jealous you get to eat that! It was soooooo good. I can't wait till we get back so I can have it again.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:22 PM   #29
MelanieC
BL II - Blue Team
Not off base any more
WISHing my way to success!
I'm lost again - What's new
DIS WAAAP -The smack on the head when you've been DIS'ing too long

Thanks - I love to read vegetarian reviews since I'm a vegetarian now.
9/6/94-9/9/94 3nts Disneyland Hotel, 9/2/95-9/10/95 Offsite, 11/27/96-12/7/96 SOG, 11/25/99-12/5/99 ASMovies, 9/16/00-9/23/00 ASMovies, 11/24/01-12/09/01- 15 nts ASMovies, 11/23/02-11/08/02 - 15 nts ASMovies, 11/14/03-11/22/03 8 nts CR, 11/20/04-12/05/04-15 nts ASMovies, 7/16/05-7/31/05- 15 nts POP, 7/28/06-8/13/06- 16 nts POP 7/13/07-7/29/07-16 nts POP, 3/20/09 - 3/24/09 4 nts ASsports, 8/7/09 - 8/25/09-18 nts POP, 7/16/10 - 8/1/10-16 nts POP, 7/15/11-7/30/11 -15 nights POP, 8/7/14-8/23/14 -15 nts POP
MelanieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:40 PM   #30
disney_mommy

I'm glad that people are finding it helpful. I am heading back next month and the 2 places I have ADRs for are Kona and Boma. Yum!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: