Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2008, 12:51 PM   #1
disney_mommy
"Dear god, what am I doing? This is half a man."

A Diva and Her Mom Invaded Disney!!

Okay, this is my first ever pre-trip report. Actually, it's my very first report of any kind!

I am a long-time Disney lover, ever since my parents treated us with a Disney trip for my son's fifth birthday. While we all had a spectacular time, it's fair to say that I loved it the most!

We've been several times since then, but this time, it will just be the Divas! This past May, two close friends and I were kicking around some vacation ideas (we had previously been reserved on a cruise but then one friend was laid off and that was canceled; then we were planning a weekend in New York but that became prohibitively expensive) and I said "Why not Disney World?" I was expecting a snort or a chuckle, and even a sarcastic remark would not have surprised me. Instead, I heard "I haven't been there since I was a kid," and "That might be fun!"

I immediately went into 'Convince-them' mode and talked up all of the great coasters (that I actually have never ridden because nobody else in my family can take them), and the gazillion yummy restaurants and the spas, oh the spas we could see!

They were so excited at the idea of the three of us actually taking a vacation together that they agreed, though it was ultimately dependant on the money situation.

Being the obsessive compulsive planner that I am, as soon as I got home, I hit the internet looking for deals. I came up with a chart showing hotels and dates and rates and options. I think I overwhelmed them!

I was finally able to make all of the options make sense (because, think about it - as an outsider, it can be very overwhelming; with different rates at different resorts, 4 different parks, the ADR's, not to mention all of the different ticket options!), and we chose to stay at Pop Century in January of 09.

Though that was basically the end for them, it was only the beginning for me. I found the airline tickets (and I strongly suggested they pay for them right then, which is good because today the ticket price is double what it was). I contacted the travel agent and got everything booked. I paid the deposit with my credit card. I got them moving on choosing restaurants. I gathered all of the restaurant choices together and linked each menu for them. I found the spa brochures and linked them. I found a great rental car deal. I found a few tours I thought they might like.

Let me say right here that it might sound like I'm being whiny and all "poor me," but truly I don't mean to be. And we did have to have it out about that once. I was really annoying them with all of my emails and suggestions and questions, and they were annoying me because they never made any decisions or voiced any opinions, so I was left to make all the plans. I finally realized that just because they don't show the same level of obsessive compulsive planning that I do doesn't mean that they aren't looking forward to it like I am. They finally realized that I wasn't trying to annoy them, that this is just what I do when I am enthusiastic about something, and I am very enthusiastic about this trip!

Right now, I am in the process of forming a loose touring plan based on what I think we would all enjoy at the three parks we are going to. I know these are not morning people, and I need to find a way to fit all of the good stuff in, especially because they don't want to feel like they are rushing from one place to another. That one's going to be a doozy!

So I guess that's where we stand right now... I'm sorry this has been so long, but I wanted to give this pre/post-trip report thing a try. I certainly welcome any suggestions and feedback that all of you veteran DISers might have.

"Now sometimes you're up and sometimes you're down. When you find that you're down, well, just look around. You still got a body, good legs and fine feet, get your head in the right place and hey you're complete!" ~Jackalope

June 2003-AKL for DS's 5th birthday April 2006-7 Night Western June 2007-Surprise Disney World for DS's 9th birthday, offsite December 2007-7 Night Eastern June 2008-AK & Epcot in one day, offsite January 2009-A Diva and Her Mom Invade Disney, CBR March 2010-Princess Half-Marathon, AKV October 2010-Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, offsite (thanks Deb, you rock!)
February 2011-Girlfriend Trip, offsite (Deb, you still rock!)

Last edited by disney_mommy; 12-04-2008 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:15 PM   #2
winkers
I was stuck in that position and ... It took 4 strapping young boys to hoist me back on my feet
Personally, I'm a popper! I love me some black heads.

It sounds like you're going to have a great time!

I'm sure that once you get there your friends will appreciate all the planning you've done.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2008, 08:27 AM   #3
disney_mommy

Thanks, Winkers, for your kind words!

I worry that once we get there, the girls will be disppointed in WDW. Or the resort. I know it's blasphemous to say this, especially on these boards, but some people just aren't Disney people.

My next question to ponder is this: should I use the great B4G3 deal and fly down a few days early and do a mini-solo vacation, or should I just stick with what I've got? I already asked the girls, and they don't want to take the extra time off of work, but I hate to pass up this deal! I would have to buy new plane tickets, but otherwise, it could work out...

So what does everyone think? And, if you had plans to vacation with friends, and one of them went early, etc., would you be okay with that? Or would you feel offended that she didn't fly with you and did her own thing?

I need some opinions, please!

Thanks, DISers!

"Now sometimes you're up and sometimes you're down. When you find that you're down, well, just look around. You still got a body, good legs and fine feet, get your head in the right place and hey you're complete!" ~Jackalope

June 2003-AKL for DS's 5th birthday April 2006-7 Night Western June 2007-Surprise Disney World for DS's 9th birthday, offsite December 2007-7 Night Eastern June 2008-AK & Epcot in one day, offsite January 2009-A Diva and Her Mom Invade Disney, CBR March 2010-Princess Half-Marathon, AKV October 2010-Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, offsite (thanks Deb, you rock!)
Old 11-17-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
winkers
I was stuck in that position and ... It took 4 strapping young boys to hoist me back on my feet

Could you stay after the trip for a few days instead of going early? That way you could do the things you want to but weren't able to with the group?
Old 11-17-2008, 01:50 PM   #5
ArmyWife3-4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkers View Post
Could you stay after the trip for a few days instead of going early? That way you could do the things you want to but weren't able to with the group?
That sounds like a good idea to me! And how can you NOT jump at the opportunity for a few more days at WDW....

I was worried the first time I took DH that he might not like it, but he fell in love! I think it makes all the difference in the world to have a good plan to make sure you're doing things everyone wants to do. It sounds like you're doing a good job of that so far!
Many trips as a child * Honeymoon - POFQ Aug 2007 * 1st Anniversary while DH was deployed - POFQ Aug 2008 * DH's R&R trip - WL Apr 2009 * Expedition Everest Challenge with DH - Sept 26, 2009 - Beach Club * Princess Half Marathon 2010 - I DID IT! POFQ * Girls Trip August 2010 - Upgraded to AP's! - POFQ * Magical Christmas Trip with dear friends - December 2010 - WL Villas * Princess Half Marathon Feb/Mar 2011 - I DID IT - AGAIN! - AKL * Inaugural Tinkerbell Half Marathon January 2012 - Grand Californian Resort - Disneyland - Third time's a charm!* From Alaska to the mouse! - WL - Matthew's First Birthday - November 2013! * Just the girls! Pre-Christmas with the Mouse - December 7-11, 2014 - WL *

Loving life in Alaska, but we're far too far away from my favorite Mouse!

We're adopting from Ethiopia!
Old 11-18-2008, 08:31 AM   #6
disney_mommy

Thank you for the suggestions, but I decided it would just be easier (and less likely to hurt feelings!) if I just stick with the Divas, and not do my own thing.

Maybe I'll get another opportunity to do a solo trip sometime in the future, although, after reading a few trippies, I'm not sure if I would like it too much...

I'm painfully shy, and though I think I would talk to cast members, I'm not sure how comfy I would be standing in lines and eating alone. Oh well, something to think about...

Old 11-18-2008, 09:17 AM   #7
disney_mommy

Plans so Far

Okay, here's what I've come up with so far:

We arrive at 3pm on Wednesday afternoon. We will rent a from Avis and drive to Pop. After we check in and settle in and check out the resort, we will head over to DTD for a casual dinner and shopping.

Thursday we will get up and go to Epcot. We will have a casual lunch, probably in the food court area near Soarin'. Later, we will head over to the Dolphin for our ressies at Shula's.

Friday is our Animal Kingdom day. Another casual lunch, then back to Pop to rest/change, then to AKL for ressies at Boma.

Saturday we will be at MK. Lunch will be wherever we can get in, then we have ressies at California Grill in the Contemporary to watch the fireworks on our last night.

The next morning we head back to the airport.

I'm thinking about canceling the California Grill because I could only get ressies late, so the fireworks will happen probably about the time we're eating our salads/apps. Then we'll just have to sit there with no more entertainment. And it's expensive. Maybe something in MK would be better, then we could just watch the fireworks from MK..?

Also, anybody think it would too much of a hassle to leave AK, then go back to AKL later for dinner at Boma? I love it, it's my favorite restaurant in WDW, but is that too much work to get there? AK closes at 5pm and our ressies aren't until 7pm.

Any opinions out there? I would love to hear them!

Old 11-19-2008, 03:25 PM   #8
disney_mommy

It's Always About the Money!

Now the three of us are having issues about when and where to eat. The problem lies in that we have 3 very different budgets. One of us makes twice what the other 2 do and has a doctor fiancee, the second make a good bit of money but has a ton of bills to pay and very little spending money. The third makes the least amount and has debt but few daily expenses.

So now I have to find a happy medium for us all. Egads!!

Old 11-19-2008, 08:23 PM   #9
winkers

OY! sounds like a headache!

I'd say go with the lowest budget. Do they realize how much to expect for food? If not, warn them that it's certainly not cheap!
Old 11-20-2008, 07:54 AM   #10
disney_mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkers View Post
OY! sounds like a headache!

I'd say go with the lowest budget. Do they realize how much to expect for food? If not, warn them that it's certainly not cheap!
I'm afraid they don't take me seriously when I tell them to save save save!

I just want to share my love of Disney while letting everyone else have their perfect vacation. It's turning out to be harder then I ever imagined!

Old 11-24-2008, 02:57 PM   #11
disney_mommy

Drama!

Well, now it turns out that this may be a solo trip after all...

One friend thinks she may not have enough money and the other just declared she doesn't want to go!

Well, I've been checking into people's solo trip reports, and I think it sounds like something I can do. I already bought my plane tickets. I don't want those to go to waste!

Oh well, what will be will be...

Old 11-24-2008, 05:00 PM   #12
winkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney_mommy View Post
Well, now it turns out that this may be a solo trip after all...

One friend thinks she may not have enough money and the other just declared she doesn't want to go!

Well, I've been checking into people's solo trip reports, and I think it sounds like something I can do. I already bought my plane tickets. I don't want those to go to waste!

Oh well, what will be will be...
I think you might enjoy yourself more being solo! You won't have to worry about making sure they're having a good time!
Old 11-25-2008, 01:18 PM   #13
disney_mommy

Well, now it's a competely different trip! Both of the divas begged out, so I was psyching myself up for a solo trip, getting all excited about being able to do whatever I want whenever I want. Not having to worry about other people's budgets and being able to ride the "corny" rides without my non-Disney friends thinking they're stupid was really starting to sound exciting. Then I call my mom to tell her that it will be a solo trip after all, and she says "maybe I'll go with you!" And I can't very well tell her no! So now the trip is "The Diva and Her Mom Invade Disney World!"

Old 11-26-2008, 02:50 PM   #14
Kristineamb
Disney Diva & Pop Tart

Smile

Another Disney Diva checking in!
Heres a link to our trip in September: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1802268

Old 11-26-2008, 04:08 PM   #15
winkers

So, is your mom going a good thing?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: