Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2009, 08:08 AM   #1
PrincessTrisha
I know what he won't do for love.
Tootsie Pottynose - Hey I kinda like the tootsie part

PTR - The Solo Trip that’s Not Solo June 2009

I have never done a trip report before (only dining reports) so I certainly have never done a pre trip report before. But lately, on Sunday mornings, I have been getting up at the ungodly hour of 6 – 7am and so I find myself reading through other people’s reports and thinking, “I should do that”. I think this about a lot of things, most pointedly, doing a solo trip to WDW. I have always wanted to, and have actually planned one but it just never happens.

My Disney History:

When I was young, my parents took my brother and I to Florida every year, usually sometime between January and March. We would camp most of the time and spend 2 – 3 weeks in and around the state. Every other year, we would do Disney (which back then meant the Magic Kingdom) and the other years we would go to one of the other theme parks. Then, when I was in my early teens we headed to California instead a couple of years where we visited Disneyland for a day. Back then I loved Disney, but again, what kid doesn’t.

When I turned 16, my parents decided on a trip to Walt Disney World to check out everything new. This included Epcot (we were in Florida the year after Epcot opened but the line to get into the parking lot went so far back, my parents decided it wasn’t worth the wait, a decision I don’t think my brother ever forgave them for). My brother being the “cool” 18 year old decided he had enough of family vacations and would rather stay home and party with his friends. So my parents and I headed down to Florida at the end of August and stayed at a Days Inn about 90 minutes away from the parks for the amazing rate of $100 a week (this was 1990). We had 4 day park hoppers and travelled back and forth for 4 days in a row. We saw all three parks (MK, Epcot, and MGM) and had a blast. Yes it was super duper hot and it poured half the time, but the three of us all remember this as a really great trip. It was the last “big” family trip we took for a while since shortly after the recession hit up here in Canada and my parents bakery faced some very tough times.

Two years later, I met a friend who was just as interested in heading back to Disney as I was. The value resorts weren’t quite open yet (we went in February and they opened later in the year). We couldn’t rent a car since we were both under 25. We stayed at the Holiday Inn in Kissimmee and took their shuttle bus back and forth each day. We had 5 day park hoppers with water parks (and I’m guessing Pleasure Island since we went there as well). Despite not eating or staying on property, we had a fabulous time. We ate each night at the Denny’s across from the hotel and munched a little popcorn or ice cream during the day to keep expenses to a minimum. Armed only with the Unofficial Guide to help us out, we got to see everything that appealed to us in all 3 of the parks. I, being paler than pale, came home red as a beet but that was about the only down side to that entire trip.

The next year, during reading week at University, my other friend invited me down to Florida to stay at her grandmother’s house. We did one day at the Magic Kingdom, one day at Universal and one day at Busch Gardens. Along for the ride was my friend’s Dad and her little sister. Our off days were fun but I didn’t really enjoy much at the parks. Even though I was 19 (as was my friend) her dad demanded that the whole group stay together at all times – which in different circumstances would have been fine – except that I don’t do roller coasters. I spent all three park days waiting for them to get off the “big rides” and only got to do 1 or 2 things that I enjoyed. This kind of left me let down with Florida (though certainly not Disney’s fault) and looking for other vacations.

Then I turned 21, Atlantic City (being about 11 hours away by car) became my family’s favourite destination. As I was finishing University, my parents and I started taking family trips again. Business had picked up some and I was working. My mom and I are both slot junkies and of course, comped food and rooms helped us to return again and again.

Now, you might be asking, “Why is she mentioning Atlantic City, and *gasp* gambling, on a Disney Board?” That’s because my love of slots led me away from Disney for many years – it wasn’t until 2004 that my previous favourite vacation desitination returned to my radar and that was only by a strange day dream.

I had been home sick one day and my mom and I were talking about “What would we do if we won the lottery?” I said, “I’d take everyone to Disney World”. My mom came up with a few answers as well (but honestly, I don’t remember a single one). By day 3 or 4 of being home with the flu I was bored out of my mind and surfing the net when I decided to look up the Disney site and figure out what this dream trip would cost. So I calculated the Contemporary, concierge level with the Gold plan, figured out the number of rooms I’d need to bring, not only my family but also my close friends, and tried to figure out the logisitics of getting everyone down there and would we need rental cars (when I am bored, things get very detailed). So, my final costs for the trip were somewhere around the $22,000 level. Hey, if I won $10 million, not a problem.

A funny thing happened though while pricing out this dream trip. I started to realize that a trip to Disney for my parents and I could actually be affordable – honestly, I had always looked at Disney as something too expensive to really afford. I found the value resorts, tickets, special offers, etc and thought, “I could do this!” (Boy, doesn’t that sound like the current Disney commercials – Honey, come here, a trip to WDW would cost under $1600……) And then the Canadian at Par package deal was offered and then clinched the deal. It was 2 nights at the beach, 8 nights at POFQ, the old all inclusive tickets, no dining plan, drive down from Toronto and on the way home, a stop in Atlantic City for 4 nights (hey, I couldn’t give up on the slots altogether!).

Trip #1 – February 2005. It was great – my mom got Bronchitis a few days before we left and I sprained my ankle the day before Disney at our beach hotel. But it was a great trip and sparked a renewed love for Disney in all three of us (mom, dad and me).

Trip #2 – December 2005 I wanted to take my God daughter Jenna.

I had gotten a promotion at work (on a contract so there was the potential that it wouldn’t be permanent). Stayed at the AKL with the dining plan (discounted package) park hopping tickets and we went to MVMCP. Fantastic!

Trip #3 – May 2006. That promotion was made permanent in February 2006 and decided the best way to celebrate was another Disney trip. This was supposed to be solo but when my mom found out she wasn’t invited, it kind of blew the wind out of her sails. Never one to disappoint, I made this a mother / daughter trip (since Dad couldn’t take time off of work – they had closed the bakery and he now worked for a bakery supplier wholesale company). BWI & OKW – it was hot but a nice, relaxing trip. My first Star Wars Week-end and for my mom, the Teddy Bear and Doll Show.

Trip #4 – October 2006. I took my cousin for her high school graduation present (she had scoliosis when she was younger and missed a couple of years due to surgery and recovery – they lived in a rural part of Ontario and didn’t get much support from the schools so she graduated just after her 20th birthday – but hey, she graduated!).

My mom and dad came along as well (by this point, it was expected – I have pretty much taken over the role of vacation provider – they did it when I was young, I’m doing it now that they are older). Beach Club Baby! Our first (and second) Halloween parties, great weather and we got to be on TV (our local station was down there so we signed up on line and appeared two mornings).

Trip #5 – May 2007. Split between the Polynesian and the Contemporary. This was supposed to be my “cheap trip” (because I just couldn’t wait until December). But Disney sent me the 40% off pin code so what else could I do? This was one of the best – very relaxing. My parents and I split up to do our own thing a few times on this trip (pretty much a first) so it made for a good change and let me explore a little on my own.

Trip #6 – October 2007 – this was supposed to be December 2007 (booked with the pin code as well). My Dad tried to get the time off, but the bakery business is too busy at the beginning of December so in the summer I changed it to another fall trip. Stayed at the Grand Floridian (and with the discount it seemed ridiculously cheap!) and really enjoyed our time. The weather wasn’t the greatest (tropical storm blew through) but still, it was great.

Trip #7 – Disneyland November 2008. This was for my Dad’s 60th birthday. It was again for the three of us but my mom had a stroke earlier in the year and then the meds they put her on made her very ill. She lost all of her strength and is still in recovery. It’s going to be a long road but she is moving forward (and that’s what’s important – it’s not how fast you get there, it’s just that you get there). She was insistent that we still go so my Dad and I set off across the US for 16 days and hit San Diego, Disneyland and Vegas. It was a good trip but all I could think of when I was at DL was “this is not WDW” (sad I know but I miss the world).

Wow, that's enough for now - I'll continue in the next post.

Last edited by PrincessTrisha; 01-20-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
PrincessTrisha

A little Background:

Who am I?

My friends call me Trisha (as do my parents and family) – at work I am known by my full name (Patricia) so pretty much I answer to both. The only thing I don’t answer to is “Pat” (long story – nothing against anyone who prefers to be called Pat, it’s just not my preference).

I am 34 years old and will be celebrating “35” at WDW this year. I know not every one agrees with me, but I feel that 35 is the start of middle age (when I double it I get 70 and to me, 70 is old age). So I want to kick off this next part of my life with some fun, some drinks and a few spins on Toy Story Mania.

In 2008 I got a promotion – although not the “big boss” my new title has “Manager” in it. The job came with a large increase in responsibility, a huge increase in the amount of work and a very small increase in pay. The only good financial aspect of the job is that when my boss is away and I do his job, I get paid for it (in the government this is called “acting”). Since December I have already “acted” for my boss for 3 weeks and that money is going into my Disney fund.

Around the office and among friends I am a known Disney addict. For Christmas my staff chipped in and bought me a Mickey Head wreath and Cinderella snow globe from the Disney store. I have various Disney toys on my desk (Mike and Sully from Monsters Inc, a little Stitch snow globe, a stuffed Nala from the lion king, a Disney picture frame which holds a picture of the Castle taken from the TTA, and a Disney bank which I save my change in). I have more Disney junk than I could ever have hoped for since that’s what everyone gets me for Birthdays and Christmas (not that I’m complaining). Of course, the reverse is true as well, my sister in law jokes that if it can’t be bought at the Disney store don’t ask me to get it for you because that’s the only store I shop at (I wish – of course, if they started selling groceries, it would be true).

Okay, so enough about me…… You’re here about the trip, right?

Last edited by PrincessTrisha; 01-20-2009 at 08:53 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2009, 01:07 PM   #3
PrincessTrisha

So, I’m back from that trip at the beginning of December to Disneyland in California and start looking at going to WDW – with this year’s celebration I decided I’m going for my birthday in June (yes it’s hot – I know but right now, I don’t care – ask me when I get back).

Then the buy 4 get 3 free offer comes out and guess what! It ends on my birthday – June 27th. So I booked a trip just for me – AKL Concierge level.

Fast forward a week or so, and Cindy, my friend of 20 years (who went to WDW last September with her mom and 4 kids – a trip I booked and planned for them – oh and they had a really great time and got to see and do just about everything!) tells me she wishes I had talked to her because she would have loved to go again (when she returned in September she said while it was great, she couldn’t see herself wanting to go every year like I do – really?!). I thought she was joking about going

Around Christmas time when I was talking to her about what to get her kids (usually I am done shopping by September but this year was a bad year for me time wise) she had hinted about Disney again. I said to her, “You’d never leave your 4 kids to go to Disney” and she was adamant in her response “oh yes she would.

The one sticking point – Money. Her and her husband have recently separated (and are now getting divorced – shhhh, don’t tell anyone, she’s keeping these proceedings on the down low for now). She really wanted to go but wasn’t sure about the money. And then her husband filed for bankruptcy and that clinched the deal – there was no money at all

I am a soft touch. When you first meet me, you think I’m crusty but really that’s shyness. I have difficulty reaching out to new people especially in new or unfamiliar situations. But, I digress, I am a very soft touch. Since I was paying for the room anyways…..I offered to pay for her to come with me. She was a little hesitant (she at least realizes the cost factor here) but eventually agreed when I told her that this was her Christmas and Birthday present for the rest of her life (or until I need a kidney, whichever comes first).

So I made a few changes (few, hahaha, that’s an understatement).

I realized when I made the reservation for AKL concierge that the price was a little higher than I expected but didn’t stop to consider why. As it turns out, because I was checking in on the 25th of June I wasn’t getting my full 3 nights free since I was only paying for 3 nights before the offer expired. I also started thinking that if I wasn’t planning on tons of park time, but lots of hotel time (and access to nightlife and drinking) maybe AKL wasn’t the right place for me.

My friend Cindy isn’t into “upscale” all that much. Although she ended up at Pop century for her family trip, she had been really interested in Fort Wilderness Cabins (she’s really into camping and outdoors). I am not. I loved the Grand Floridian and even the Contemporary. I am very much a “Hotel” kind of girl. I like maid service, room service, comfy beds and my own shower and toilet (not that I have a problem sharing with others in my room but I am not into the whole, communal bathroom situation you often find at campgrounds, etc).

I was looking at the Wilderness lodge but I always think of that as more of a Fall or Winter hotel – you know the dark woodsy feeling with the big fireplace and rocking chairs. Plus, they didn’t have any standard view room left. The only place I ever really consider paying for view are the CR (Magic Kingdom View) and AKL (Savannah view) otherwise, I don’t really care what I’m looking at on the balcony.

Anyways, I thought about the Yacht Club since I have never stayed there and it was in the boardwalk area so there is easy access to Epcot and DHS, Jellyrolls, a really great pool, Beaches and Cream for snacking, enough shopping to satisfy, room service, maid service and all those nice things about a good hotel. The more I looked at the pictures though, the more I thought it looked a little too “upscale and ritzy” and I thought Cindy might be uncomfortable with it.

Cindy of course was being no help and told me anywhere was fine – she wasn’t paying and since she had only stayed at Pop Century, it didn’t really matter.

Then I saw the pictures of the refurbished Beach Club rooms. Those fluffy white duvets and flat screen tv’s pretty much sold me. I liked the BC when I stayed there before but didn’t love it. I think that part of that might be because we had a smaller room (it didn’t have a day bed only an ottoman) and I wasn’t crazy about the décor (I found it a little busy). But I did love the pool, the location and the great ice cream that you could grab for snacking (food is very important to me on vacation – who are we kidding – it’s important to me all the time).

So I switched the reservation over to the Beach Club and changed the dates so I could get the 3 free nights.

Last edited by PrincessTrisha; 01-20-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
PrincessTrisha

Trip Details:

Cast:

Me (Trisha)

34 turning 35. I am single and pretty happy about that. I’ve made several fairly recent trips to WDW – all on property and most with Magic Your Way PLUS Dining. I love Buzz Lightyear and got to ride Toy Story Mania in DL and am hooked. My goal for this trip is to have fun, drink alcohol, ride my favourites and sleep (since I haven’t been doing much of that lately at home). I also want to take advantage of some night life since with my traditional travelling companions (my parents) I don’t. I also am thinking about planning two other trips this year – September if free dining is offered and Halloween (hoping my mom will have recovered sufficiently to be able to travel). I am a self proclaimed “Disney Freak” (and that term doesn’t bother me at all – if it bothers you, you probably are not a freak).

Cindy

(stole this pic from her facebook). Will be 36 in February and this year I don’t have to scramble to give her a gift. She has 4 kids (5,6,9,14). She is separated from her husband of 7 years and is starting divorce proceedings. Her eldest child travelled with me when I went to WDW in December 2005. We became friends when we travelled together on a school trip to London, England when we were in high school. We also took a long week end trip to Atlantic City after the birth of her 2nd child (along with another friend and my younger cousin). Those are the only two times we have travelled together. Her Disney experience has been limited as they never went when she was a kid and the first time she went was taking her 4 kids (and her mom) last September during free dining. I think she just wants to get away for a vacation that’s for her (and not so focussed on her kids).

I’ll add pictures when I’m at home since I can’t do it when I’m at work (where I am right now).

Dates: June 21st to June 28th
Hotel: Beach Club Resort – Standard View
Booked using the 4 / 3 deal. I have booked 7 day base tickets but am debating on upgrading to park hoppers (or even an annual pass for me).

Travel: Amtrak from Buffalo NY to Orlando and then picking up a rental car.

Last edited by PrincessTrisha; 01-20-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:39 AM   #5
PrincessTrisha

I am debating on what to do about dining. I've booked the package so I could add the dining plan or the deluxe dining plan but I'm kind of hesitant to do so.

In the past with the appetizer and tip included, it seemed like a sure deal but this time, I'm not positive. On the other hand, we are going at a time where there could be "holiday surcharges" so that would add an extra $2-$4 for any buffet.

When I take my parents, it's an easy choice - my dad loves steak and it's usually the most expensive thing on the menu. My mom goes between steak and something else but generally orders expensive entrees as well because, it's the one time she feels comfortable doing so (since it doesn't matter what you order, you've paid the same price). I also tend to order the steak because a) I can get it cooked the way I like - rare, and b) it does give me a "value for my money" feeling.

Cindy likes chicken and seafood and sushi. But the one thing that concerns me is because I'm paying that she will do as my parents do and order the least expensive thing - not because it's what they want, but because I am paying for it so they try to save me money.

Come to think of it though, that doesn't sound like Cindy. She probably would order what she wants regardless of price. But I could see her skipping meals to try to save me money or having just a snack instead of a meal.

I'm also thinking of booking at least one more (if not two more) trips this year - this is leading me towards the AP / TiW combo. 20% off meals and drinks would be beneficial. I can also see where in the heat of June, I want to go into a sitdown restaurant for most meals (to eat and relax in the cool of the restaurant) but have the freedom to order only what I actually want or am going to eat at the time and not be restricted to entree / dessert (or with DXDP feel obligated to order appetizer, entree and dessert).

Upgrading my ticket is something I'll have to look into.....
Old 01-29-2009, 01:27 AM   #6
Disneyfan71
Paging Mr. Morrow, paging Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived, please give them a ring.

I'm on board!!! Sounds like you've got it all mapped out. And congrats on it being your birthday...and taking your best friend with you!! We're going about the same time as you and staying CLOSE!! As of Friday, I will definitely know more!!

1983,1986, 1987,88,95: Off site

Old 02-09-2009, 10:49 AM   #7
PrincessTrisha

So now another friend is looking to come with me. And my Dad wants to drive him, my mom and my mom's care worker, down for a couple of days at the end of the trip. This trip is getting so far from solo.

My friend Maryann was at WDW at Christmas with her family and significant other and wants to go back as soon as possible. She also states that she has never been on a "girls only" trip so that interests her as well. She wants to take a trip somewhere warm with her BF Rick so she needs to closely examine her finances to see if she could swing both trips (with him and with us).

I upgraded Cindy and my tickets to park hoppers for now but when we get there I have decided to upgrade my ticket to an annual pass and purchase the Tables in Wonderland card. I'm thinking it would be nice to hit one park in the early morning, go back to the hotel for a swim and rest, and then choose which park to visit in the evening or take advantage of evening EMH's.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:06 PM   #8
PrincessTrisha

Okay, so there are lots of changes to this trip.
  • I changed the dates. My Mom’s care worker wants to go away from June 19th to June 28th. My Dad really wants to drive down for a couple of days (just a little get away) but is concerned that my Mom might not be up to such a long drive so it is necessary for Josee to be available. The new dates are now June 26th to July 4th. There was lots of availability at almost every single deluxe hotel for those dates so switching was easy.
  • As per my dates above, I added an extra day onto the trip. So now it’s “Buy 5 nights, get 3 free”. Which is still a good deal and I am happy for the extra day (and night).
  • Cindy and I are still taking the train down but my Dad is driving down from Toronto and will arrive on July 2nd and we’ll all drive home together on July 4 / 5.
  • Cindy and my Dad will be going to Typhoon Lagoon on July 3rd (my choice for me not to go – I’m not much of a water park person).

Dining is still undecided. I desperately want to add the deluxe dining plan for ease, convenience and because I am used to having a dining plan in Disney so I don’t have to look at prices. Also, with Disney announcing the surcharges on buffets and AYCE meals during our vacation period, it is difficult (if not impossible) to justify any of them without the dining plan (at least in my mind – I mean Crystal Palace for breakfast is great but not $23.99 great – I don’t spend that much on average in restaurants for dinner, let alone breakfast!). On the other hand, the Tables in Wonderland card is looking like a good option as well. We’d probably spend less, not have to worry about making every single ADR I plan to make, order only what we’re in the mood for, and save money on alcohol as well. There is this small (and getting bigger) part of me that says, “Just book the darn plan and go with it”.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:05 PM   #9
APB513
Wishing I was back in my Laughing Place

Hi Trisha

I'm enjoying reading your pre trip report. Even though your "solo" trip isn't solo anymore, it sounds like you are going to have a great time!! Not to mention, this just gives you another reason to have to come back

I think it's great that you are bringing your friend Cindy. I'm sure she can use a distraction from her everyday life and what better distraction than Disneyworld!!!
1970-1980 many trips to DL, 5/1986 (offsite - MK), 12/2001 (offsite & MVMCP), 12/2002 (DLR & Paradise Pier), 9/2006 (Pop & MNSSHP, Disney Magic, AKL ), 11/2007 (Pop & MNSSHP), 12/2007 (DTD & MVMCP), 8/2008 (Loew's Royal Pacific Resort, Pop & Windsor Hills), 5/2009 (Bday Solo Trip - POFQ), 12/2009 (Loew's Portofino Bay & Pop w/FD), 8/2011 (Pop w/FD, Disney Dream & Loew's Portofino Bay), 5/2012 Disney's Travel Agent EP, Bday & Mother's Day AND Kyle starts DCP! - CSR & Contemporary, 12/2012 All Star Sports and Loew's Hard Rock Hotel, 1/2013 DLR - Disney's Travel Agent EP - Paradise Pier and Disneyland Hotel, 10/2013 Loew's Royal Pacific Resort, ASMo, Pop and CSR & MNSSHP - Homebased Travel Agent Forum, 12/2014 - All Star Sports & MVMCP

Angela

Memberships: D23, Mickey Moms Club and WDW Commando Club (member #113)
Old 03-11-2009, 10:07 AM   #10
PrincessTrisha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfan71 View Post
I'm on board!!! Sounds like you've got it all mapped out. And congrats on it being your birthday...and taking your best friend with you!! We're going about the same time as you and staying CLOSE!! As of Friday, I will definitely know more!!
Thanks for posting - as you can see above, I've changed my dates so I think we're a little farther apart than we were before.

It seems like I've got a good plan but I am really stuck on the dining (which is a big part of the trip for me because I rarely eat out at home and I *love* Disney food). I also have a tendency to change my mind about 100 times so we'll see how the trip ends up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by APB513 View Post
Hi Trisha

I'm enjoying reading your pre trip report. Even though your "solo" trip isn't solo anymore, it sounds like you are going to have a great time!! Not to mention, this just gives you another reason to have to come back

I think it's great that you are bringing your friend Cindy. I'm sure she can use a distraction from her everyday life and what better distraction than Disneyworld!!!
Thanks for stopping by.

Yeah - when Cindy's having a not so great day - she'll usally post on Facebook "How many more days Trisha?!" and I know things are rough for her. I've always wanted to do a solo trip because I am a worrier and a pleaser so I try to make things perfect for everyone who comes along. The nice thing about Cindy is she really doesn't care what we do, see, stay, or eat. She just wants to get away.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:13 PM   #11
bettyann29
Heres my contribution for today...
It looks like everyone is trying to divert their eyes elsewhere
I cant eat the ones that are not folded or creased.. Does that make me crazy??

Location: Dallas/ Ft Worth Texas-- Dreaming of one day being closer to the House of the Mouse..

Hi Trisha! Im a freak too.. disney freak that is.. I love everything about disney..

Im loving reading your PTR.. sounds like you guys are going to have a blast!

Looking forward to reading more..
Old 03-11-2009, 06:42 PM   #12
PrincessTrisha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyann29 View Post
Hi Trisha! Im a freak too.. disney freak that is.. I love everything about disney..

Im loving reading your PTR.. sounds like you guys are going to have a blast!

Looking forward to reading more..
Thanks for joining Bettyann.

I really hope that it will be a great trip. This has been a tough year and I really need my Disney fix.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:38 AM   #13
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

I'm in. I love reading trip pre-trip reports and trip reports!

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 04-02-2009, 03:40 PM   #14
PrincessTrisha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
I'm in. I love reading trip pre-trip reports and trip reports!
Thanks - they'll be another update soon since I was able to make some dining reservations.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:07 AM   #15
PrincessTrisha

So on Saturday March 28th I got up at 6am and decided our dining (for now anyways).

I called WDW-DINE at exactly 7am (well actually the first call was at 6:58 and I got the "we're not open" line and on the second call I got through). I responded to the prompts and was on hold for 2 minutes before a very nice CM answered and booked my dining reservations.

I got everything I wanted, right around the time I wanted. No big drama, no big upsets. I was a little surprised since so many people are complaining of long waits, no availability at their 90 day mark and rude or untrained CM's. Maybe I'm just lucky.

So this is the plan:

Friday June 26th (arrival day): The Plaza at the Magic Kingdom. Not a 100% certain why I choose this except for a picture of their club sandwich where the poster subbed a croissant for the bread. It looked so good and I wanted something in the MK area but not a buffet or AYCE. Cindy's not a big fan of Italian so I didn't want to book Tony's and with the exception of The Wave at the CR, I've eaten at all of the "non fancy" restaurants in the MK resorts. Anyways, the plan is get to the park, ride a few things, have dinner and then stay for Spectro, Wishes and Evening EMH to 1am.

Saturday June 27th (my 35th birthday): I figure on this day we'll sleep in a little after being out late the night before.

Lunch is at Sanaa at the new AKV's. Although there is no menu yet, the food pictures look reasonable and Indian food is something that I like so I figure this is a good time to try it out. Once the menu is released, if I don't like it, I can always change to something else.

Dinner is at Spoodles. I'd like to try this place before it closes since it has always been on my "to do" list for disney but just have never managed to get to it. I am debating on ordering a cake since it is my birthday dinner but that's still way up in the air

After dinner I'm thinking Jellyrolls to cap off the night. I haven't planned a park for this day but am planning on popping over to guest relations at eitehr Epcot or DHS to pick up my birthday gift card.

Sunday June 28th: Toy Story Mania Day!!! I want to get to the park at rope drop, grab fastpasses, ride, ride, and hope to get another set of FP's before they are all gone. I am hoping to get in at least 4 rides (2 stand by and 2 FP) on this day. Then I have an early lunch reservation for Sci Fi. I don't think this is necessarily the kind of place my parents would enjoy so I planned it for this trip. I really want to try one of the alcoholic milkshakes here. I haven't made any dinner plans for this day.

To be continued......

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: