Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2009, 04:07 PM   #76
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

Ok new dilemna!! Well not a bad dilemna though!

So I got this bright idea to see how much it would cost to rent DVC points for all or part of my stay in January. Do any of you have any experience with this? Lynn I think you might have on your last trip?

Looking on the DIS DVC section it seems like most people are renting their points for $10 a point. If I can snag a AKL value or standard or a BWV standard... it'll be 82 or 92 points for the 8 nights. Or I could rent for just my solo portion of the trip... which would be 30-39 points for the 3 solo nights.

It would be slightly more expensive than staying at just Pop but... i'm not a HUGE fan of Pop, and would love to try a studio somewhere even if it is solo. Hmmmm!

If my caluclations are correct...and they could be TOTALLY off:

8 nights at Pop for me: $421 ($120 for Nate, $161 for Christina)
5 nights at Pop, 3 at DVC for me: $475 (value AKL) or $565 (standard AKL or BWV)

I totally have to sit down after work and really try figuring out prices.

I haven't figured out how much each it would be if we all stayed DVC for all 8 nights. I have to figure out how the price would break down. From quickly looking though, Nate and Christina's price would go up a little so I don't know if they'd be ok with that.

so any thoughts? suggestions?
Old 09-08-2009, 05:01 PM   #77
LouDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygirlinnj View Post
Tweet! Tweet!

So I will be twittering/tweeting from the parks. I just created an account just for Disney stuff. My normal 'non-Disney' friends were bugging me about stuff and didn't want to hear all the minute details of my trip when I'm down there!

So come follow me here...

www.twitter.com/disneygirlinnj

yes, what an original name
I can't wait to read your Tweets. I'm going to add you. I Tweet when I'm at WDW.
I've got two more trips this year.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-08-2009, 07:56 PM   #78
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouDisney View Post
I can't wait to read your Tweets. I'm going to add you. I Tweet when I'm at WDW.
I've got two more trips this year.
Thank you! I think I'm now following you too
Old 09-08-2009, 09:32 PM   #79
jordanyosh
DIS Veteran

Congrats on continuing to reduce your time.

I know people have had varying experiences with folks renting out their points. Make sure you do as much research about your potential DVC partner before you send any money. If you can find a good match, you do save a bit of money.

Good luck and go to the DVC forums for help!
Old 09-08-2009, 11:53 PM   #80
Lynn5700
WOO HOO I will be there

Hey!! Congrats on your time for your ten miler. It's great!

Tim and I have DVC so we have never rented points before, but we plan on saving our points next year so if we take a summer trip to Disney we will most likely rent points.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:31 AM   #81
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanyosh View Post
Congrats on continuing to reduce your time.

I know people have had varying experiences with folks renting out their points. Make sure you do as much research about your potential DVC partner before you send any money. If you can find a good match, you do save a bit of money.

Good luck and go to the DVC forums for help!
Thanks Jordan! I keep going back and forth if I should do this or not. I'm wondering if a good deal will come out but then again... the deal probably won't be THAT good compared to me staying at a deluxe resort DVC, ya know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn5700 View Post
Hey!! Congrats on your time for your ten miler. It's great!

Tim and I have DVC so we have never rented points before, but we plan on saving our points next year so if we take a summer trip to Disney we will most likely rent points.
Thanks hun! Hmm... I don't know who I was thinking about then! I know I just read about a couple that rented points, lol.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:53 AM   #82
jessily
DIS Veteran

Hi! Just found your trip report. I ran the half last year and it was such a blast. We also stayed on rented DVC points at BCV and it was great.

We've been looking into renting points again this year. Unfortunately at this point most everything is booked up for Marathon Weekend. I had someone check for any Studio for 1/8-1/15 and the only Studio available for the entire time was Saratoga. There was some varying availability for the week after the marathon, but for the weekend it was just a day here or there at various resorts. We decided not to rent this year and to hope Disney comes out with a good deal. It's worth a shot though. If you find a DVC member who is willing to work with you and check on availability, you never know when something might open up!

Good luck with your training! Sounds like you're doing great
Old 09-09-2009, 10:03 AM   #83
MyMuse
From here...to there!

Location: North NJ (I don't know any Sopranos! or Real Housewives!)

Wink

Quote:
Tweet! Tweet!

So I will be twittering/tweeting from the parks. I just created an account just for Disney stuff. My normal 'non-Disney' friends were bugging me about stuff and didn't want to hear all the minute details of my trip when I'm down there!

So come follow me here...

www.twitter.com/disneygirlinnj

yes, what an original name
I'm following on the web for now; I need to get on the horn and join the Twitter / Facebook Nation. I'm lagging behind on Myspace.

Quote:
So quick training update!!

I've been pretty good all week. Went to the gym 4 times, ran twice during the week and then yesterday had my big 10 mile run! Finished in 1:58:06. That's pretty much a 11:48 pace per mile, slowly bringing that speed up!
Holy Buckets! I did (well, attempted) running on the treadmill for a full hour and all I got was 4 miles. I only did 4.5-7 mph, though. I couldn't do more than that. By the end, I was ready to fall down.

Quote:
Ok new dilemna!! Well not a bad dilemna though!

So I got this bright idea to see how much it would cost to rent DVC points for all or part of my stay in January. Do any of you have any experience with this? Lynn I think you might have on your last trip?

I totally have to sit down after work and really try figuring out prices.

so any thoughts? suggestions?
Hmmm....it's a good thing to look into. I'm tossing around the idea to go down for F&G. Of course, it would depend if my gutters stay up!!!

On the surface, if it only costs slightly more to do DVC deluxe vs. Value, than it is a no-brainer. But what's the other catches? Can you still book ADRs? If so, at +10? How reliable is the person you rent from? Can you still request a room locale? Is there any issues with check-in? Y'know, stuff like that. Of course, I'm a worst-case scenario type of gal!!
Old 09-10-2009, 10:53 AM   #84
lacrosse_lady72
I <3 Disney

SOOOO.......... I'm not really sure why I haven't jumped in on this PTR yet but I have been reading along

I'm renting for this first time for our January trip at Kidani so far so good. We got 5 nights at a standard studio for $500. Not bad. I guess the only issue I forsee you running into is availability for BW especially and possibly AKV. From everything I have read, BWV studios are some of the first to book up because of point price and location. I guess my point is to urge you to hussle on what you're going to do since you're getting really close and there may be limited availability.

Also... are you or someone in your group planning on driving? It might pay to stay at a resort that is a "host" resort for the race so you don't have to worry about transportation. I know for the Expedition Everest shuttles only run from All-Stars, POR and AKL...

Way to go on the running!!!

WDW: JULY/AUGUST 2002, MARCH 2004, MARCH/APRIL 2005, SEPTEMBER 2006, SEPTEMBER 2007, SEPTEMBER 2008, SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER 2009, APRIL 2010, SEPTEMBER 2011, SEPTEMBER 2013, SEPTEMBER 2015
DLR: APRIL 1998, DECEMBER 2005, JANUARY 2012, JANUARY 2013

Old 09-10-2009, 01:28 PM   #85
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessily View Post
Hi! Just found your trip report. I ran the half last year and it was such a blast. We also stayed on rented DVC points at BCV and it was great.

We've been looking into renting points again this year. Unfortunately at this point most everything is booked up for Marathon Weekend. I had someone check for any Studio for 1/8-1/15 and the only Studio available for the entire time was Saratoga. There was some varying availability for the week after the marathon, but for the weekend it was just a day here or there at various resorts. We decided not to rent this year and to hope Disney comes out with a good deal. It's worth a shot though. If you find a DVC member who is willing to work with you and check on availability, you never know when something might open up!

Good luck with your training! Sounds like you're doing great
Thank you! I do have a quick update on my DVC Rental, which I'll post after I reply to you guys! Luckily I won't be needing the DVC studio until January 12th so there were a bunch of openings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMuse View Post
I'm following on the web for now; I need to get on the horn and join the Twitter / Facebook Nation. I'm lagging behind on Myspace.

Holy Buckets! I did (well, attempted) running on the treadmill for a full hour and all I got was 4 miles. I only did 4.5-7 mph, though. I couldn't do more than that. By the end, I was ready to fall down.

Hmmm....it's a good thing to look into. I'm tossing around the idea to go down for F&G. Of course, it would depend if my gutters stay up!!!

On the surface, if it only costs slightly more to do DVC deluxe vs. Value, than it is a no-brainer. But what's the other catches? Can you still book ADRs? If so, at +10? How reliable is the person you rent from? Can you still request a room locale? Is there any issues with check-in? Y'know, stuff like that. Of course, I'm a worst-case scenario type of gal!!
Thank you! Keep trudging on the treadmill, that's awesome! I personally HATE the treadmill and for some reason mentally can't run long distances or at high speeds on it. When I'm outside though it's a totally different ball game. lol

So I've completely researched the DVC thing and will update in a few. But... I had all the same questions you did about where the catch is. So the reservation would be in my name...but Disney will NOT deal with me. The DVC owner has to book everything and even call back themselves to update my DME information. I CAN book ADRs myself using the reservation number that the member would give me, including +10. I'm only looking at people that have references and seem to be active on the DIS DVC section of the board. I can request a room locale but again, the owner will do this over the phone themselves. I can fax my request myself when it gets closer to the travel date. As for checkin, I scoured the DIS for this and haven't read one problem about a renter checking in. Since the reservation is in my name, I just show up and give them my credit card for room charging privileges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrosse_lady72 View Post
SOOOO.......... I'm not really sure why I haven't jumped in on this PTR yet but I have been reading along

I'm renting for this first time for our January trip at Kidani so far so good. We got 5 nights at a standard studio for $500. Not bad. I guess the only issue I forsee you running into is availability for BW especially and possibly AKV. From everything I have read, BWV studios are some of the first to book up because of point price and location. I guess my point is to urge you to hussle on what you're going to do since you're getting really close and there may be limited availability.

Also... are you or someone in your group planning on driving? It might pay to stay at a resort that is a "host" resort for the race so you don't have to worry about transportation. I know for the Expedition Everest shuttles only run from All-Stars, POR and AKL...

Way to go on the running!!!
Hey! Like I told the other ladies above, I'll be updating with my DVC rental story in a bit but so glad you're renting too, haha! Now I kinda feel a little better that someone else I know is going through it too. Did you have a contract written up? Ask for references? It's pretty overwhelming but so far so good! As for availability, since I only want Jan 12-15th (Tues-Fri), there was availability at most of the villas I asked about. The marathon crowds seem like they left that Sunday or Monday.

As for transportation to the marathon, since it SUCH a big event, there is bus transportation from every single Disney resort. So that's not a problem. I remember when I was looking into Expedition Everest, I had the same worries because I saw that that even only had certain location pickups!

OK...gonna do some work and then update about my DVC Rental information!
Old 09-10-2009, 04:23 PM   #86
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

So I did it! I rented DVC points for the solo part of my trip.

I researched and scoured the DVC section of the boards and tried to soak up as much information as possible about renting. Found out how many points I would need for the resorts I'm interested in, how much is normal price per point, the process of renting, dealing with the DVC owner and/or Disney, details about ADRs, Magical Express, checking in, etc.

I posted a rent request on the boards and almost instantly an owner sent me a message saying that he had points available. He was already going to call Member Services in the morning for another reservation so he would be able to check availability for me. I searched his other posts and he had been around for awhile. He mentioned he had references so that was a plus.

I stopped everything I was doing and tried to figure out where I actually wanted to stay. I knew that I only wanted to stay at one of the following:

Bay Lake Towers - who wouldn't? They're brand spankin new and you get the monorail!
Boardwalk Villas - Epcot is my 1st love and the villas are walking distance or a boat to Epcot AND MGM. Plus all the fun the Boardwalk has to offer, how can you go wrong? I knew they were slightly old and some reviews talked about the rooms looking worn but I felt it was still worth it
Villas at Wilderness Lodge - only stayed at WL once and it was really cool. Browsed through photos and reviews and it seemed awesome
Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas - A savannah view would be amazing. And I've always wanted to stay at AKL. But it was very far away from a lot of the things I would want to do (Epcot and MK). Not sure if I'd want to go back to AK after going with the gang. I did however want to eat at Jiko AND Sanaa so that played a part too.

So I emailed him back last night giving him my dates and the possible villas that I would want in this order:

BLT - 39 points (standard studio)
BWV - 30 points (standard studio)
BWV - 39 points (preferred studio)
AKL (Jambo?) - 27 points (value)
AKL (Jambo?)- 30 points (standard studio)
AKL (Jambo?)- 39 points (Savannah)
VWL - 39 points

By 10am today I had an email from him saying he called and there was availability at a Boardwalk Villa Preferred Studio for the dates I wanted. I didn't even bother asking about the ones below in my list since BWV was one of my top choices.

After a few more emails and information sent back and forth....

I HAVE A RESERVATION AT THE BOARDWALK VILLAS!!!!

I'm really excited about this! And so far the DVC member I'm working with has been great. My emails have been answered within the hour and he mentioned I can call his cell phone at any time if needed. He said he should have written confirmation from Disney within 7-10 days. When that happens he will scan a copy of the letter and email it to me. After I see the scan and verify, I will send him my payment. After my payment has been processed, he will officially send me the hard copy of the confirmation. I emailed him my flight information to add DME for my return home and again, within the hour I had a confirmation email saying he called DME and added it to the reservation and included the confirmation number.

Yes, I know I'm being very optimistic about this and that there is still a possibility of something going wrong but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:25 PM   #87
jessily
DIS Veteran

Congrats on finding a studio! That's great... that area is awesome to stay in. Walking to and from Epcot is the best!
Old 09-12-2009, 09:27 PM   #88
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

BWV! How cool is that?

I'm home, by the way.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:57 AM   #89
lacrosse_lady72
I <3 Disney

Wow, that was fast! Wooooo hooooo for BWV!!!!!!!!

WDW: JULY/AUGUST 2002, MARCH 2004, MARCH/APRIL 2005, SEPTEMBER 2006, SEPTEMBER 2007, SEPTEMBER 2008, SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER 2009, APRIL 2010, SEPTEMBER 2011, SEPTEMBER 2013, SEPTEMBER 2015
DLR: APRIL 1998, DECEMBER 2005, JANUARY 2012, JANUARY 2013

Old 09-13-2009, 02:48 AM   #90
annnewjerz
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.

Very exciting news about the reservations at BWV, I'm sure you will love it!!! Have you ever stayed there before? We can only ever afford to stay at value resorts---but this year I met a great DISer on the Photo Board and rented points from her and it ended up being $95 per night, only $5 more per night than staying at POP!

For us, renting points has been a very pleasant experience. It does take a bit of trust because the reservation is completely out of your hands, but I'm a pretty trustworthy person and for us, the savings were worth it.

Now, if I would have stayed at POP, I could have gotten free dining (in theory), but when you weigh POP with free dining against staying at a deluxe when we wouldn't usually have the opportunity it was a no brainer. Deluxe resort with nicer ammenities, walking distance to Epcot and DHS and c'mon---we get to stay at BWV!!! We saw the Boardwalk Resort for the first time in 2007 and DH said "One day I want to stay there, even if it's only for a few nights" and this year, we get to.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: