Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2009, 07:33 AM   #16
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2minnies View Post
I love that about my Garmin too, no set route. It gets boring after a while.
I really can't stress enough how much I LOVE not having a set route!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennHokies View Post
disneygirlinnj, first off good luck with your training - I think it takes a ton of courage to sign up for your first half marathon. In addition to my new found WDW obsession, I'm already obsessed with the sport of Triathalon. I've only done sprint races so far, which require only a 5K run, so I'm in awe of your 13 mile race!

When you mentioned your knee pain while training I thought about a book I've found helpful on running technique. It's called Chi Running in case you want to check it out. When someone first recommended it to me I thought, that's crazy I don't need someone to teach me how to run, but it actually have some great tips.

Now I need to go research that Garim 405 - sounds like a great new toy!
Thank you so much! The whole idea of a Tri scares me... I'm NOT a huge swimmer (although I do know how). After I accomplish this lovely half though who knows what my crazy mind will tell me to do!

I'll definitely check out Chi Running. My knee has been kinda iffy more often then usual lately so I'll take any help I can get! My friends trainer said it sounds like it's my IT Band and gave me stretches for it but it hasn't really helped yet.

Tomorrow I'm running in the Jersey Shore Relay, teams of 5 runs a marathon...I'm running the 6.2 mile leg..my longest run ever!! Yikes! The most I've run so far is 6 miles a week ago and it wasn't that bad! I'll come back with a full report!
Old 04-21-2009, 11:47 AM   #17
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

This past Saturday I ran in the Jersey Shore Relay Marathon...A 26.2 Mile Relay Race rom Seaside Heights, NJ to Asbury Park, NJ along the scenic Atlantic Ocean held the third Saturday in April. Teams of 5, 4, 3, 2 or individuals run the marathon distance mostly on world famous boardwalks. (we had a team of 5)

We had a great time and it was SUCH a beautiful day out! It did get hot towards the end of the run so I'm secretly happy that I ran the 2nd leg and missed the 75-80 degree weather during my run.

I joined with my old gym and we actually had 9 or 12 teams registered for the race so the support we had throughout the whole day was amazing. Everywhere we turned we'd see at least a few of our race shirts wandering around. I was our team captain since I was the only one on my individual team that had run this race before. And... small world... I found out a few weeks ago that one of the ladies on my team is a disney nut and ran the last two halfs and is registered for the full this year. Can't wait to cheer her on down in Disney!

So I had originally signed up for one of the 6.1 or 6.2 mile legs and on the way down there when I was looking at the race info, I realized it was changed to 6.5 miles! I've never run more than 6 miles in one shot. Didn't have a problem with that but luckily I found out before I started running or I would have been so confused looking at my Garmin.

Overall I'm very very happy with my time and how my portion went. I finished the 6.5 mi (6.57 according to Garmin but whos counting..lol) in 1:11:43. One of my best times yet! I was worried about my knee though and it did of course start acting up. Almost right after the first mile it started hurting but I kept trying to adjust my form and make improvements and by about mile 2.5 I didn't feel any pain, just a tightness. Don't remember much pain from miles 2.5 to 6.5 so that's a good thing! However my knees are NOT liking me today. I've been icing them all night and this morning and will have another big stretch session in a little bit. I really think thats part of my problem...I don't stretch and warm up as much as I should. I do the 'normal' but I'm thinking my knees need more than that!

I believe our whole team finished the marathon in just barely over 4hrs30min and I couldn't be happier! Now I just need to find an 'official' 10k and start improving.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-13-2009, 01:00 PM   #18
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

OK So I've been a complete slacker in terms of running. The relay was the last big run I've had. I did do a 4 miler I think in the park about two weeks ago but that's it. I need to get back into it but I've been lazy!
Old 06-02-2009, 03:18 PM   #19
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

Small little update.... I've barely been running but did get a chance to run my fasted 5k time ever on Saturday in the park! happy dance! I also registered for a 10k this Sunday coming up so hopefully my horrible back ache will go away by then. I have NO idea why my back hurts Ugh!
Old 06-08-2009, 11:06 AM   #20
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

Hello!! So I tried to start off June with a bang and worked out fabulously June 1st. Apparently something I did though didn't agree with my back AT ALL so I was gym-less from then until this past Sunday when I ran my first official 10k. I didn't want to stress my back too much beforehand so I took it easy and just tried to stretch as much as possible.

We couldn't have asked for better weather for the Montclair YMCA 10k. It was slightly hotter than I'm used to but I didn't mind it too much. I ran it with my two friends and had a great day. One of my friends (Jaime) is Speedy Gonzalez and finished it in 57 minutes, I think. I finished it in my personal best of 1:05:and change and my best friend Christina also finished in her personal best of 1:10 possibly? I actually forgot to stop my watch when I ran through the finish line and didn't realize it until a minute later.

The actual run for me went well for the most part. Christina and I started out together and kept under a 10min mile for mile1. Slowed down a bit after that and then I believe I lost Christina after about mile 3.5-ish. Luckily there were water stops at every mile for me to grab a few sips and douse my arms and neck to cool down. At around mile 4.75 I found a new running partner and finished the race with a nice guy from Peru. I couldn't really chit-chat but it was nice to have someone running next to you and giving small words of wisdom and encouragement.

My knee held up pretty well. Slight tightness and discomfort on and off but it wasn't bad. At around mile 5.75 though I got a HORRIBLE pain on the outer side of my right foot (same side as my knee). I honestly even thought of stopping and walking for the remainder but my new friend kept telling me to dig on. I have no idea where the pain came from, I've never had pain like that before. I thought maybe it was due to running on only one side of the road but this race was fairly mixed and I didn't stick to one side. It's still pretty painful to walk today at work and hobbling into the building today was no fun. Anyone else have experience with this? So annoying!

So that was my fun day. Even with the pain I still had a great time and really hope I can run again in a day or two.

After all my aches and pains I'm thinking of making an appointment with an Orthopedic and Sports Medicine practice that I found right by my house. It's three doctors that only specialize in sports injuries and rehab. I want to get to the bottom of this knee discomfort (and now my lovely new foot pain! ).

Ok...I've babbled enough...
Old 07-22-2009, 08:22 AM   #22
MyMuse
From here...to there!

Location: North NJ (I don't know any Sopranos! or Real Housewives!)

I'm in!

I wish I could train/run in a marathon, but I know I will not be able or want to do it. So, I'll live vicariously through you.

I did have inspiration enough to start my WISH journal in early June, but nothing much to report. Ah, well, I'm trying.

I hope your training is going well and your back is okay!
Old 07-22-2009, 08:50 AM   #23
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMuse View Post
I'm in!

I wish I could train/run in a marathon, but I know I will not be able or want to do it. So, I'll live vicariously through you.

I did have inspiration enough to start my WISH journal in early June, but nothing much to report. Ah, well, I'm trying.

I hope your training is going well and your back is okay!
Hey! Thanks for joining in...

Yeah..I haven't had too much to report as of late either but I'll probably post a small update some time today since you reminded me!

I started small when i first started running... like realllll small. Half mile... then slowly worked up to a mile...etc. It took me a good year or 2 years to just run my first 5k. now I look back and its hard to imagine not being able to do it, ya know? i used to complain about running the smallest distances!
Old 07-22-2009, 08:56 AM   #24
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

Thanks to MyMuse, I finally remembered to come over here and report!!

There really isn't too much to mention about training... slowly getting there. I ran 7 miles a few weeks ago and that went well, but very slow. Not that I was trying to beat any records! I just wanted to get it over with! Sadly I haven't really ran that much or that distance since. I ran 5 miles this past weekend. Hopefully going to run 8 miles this weekend.

And as for the back and knees, so far so good. lets hope it stays that way!
Old 07-30-2009, 01:04 PM   #25
dismagiclover
Mrs. Darling: Mom to Wendy, John & Michael

Hey there. I'm registered to run the Donald too. It sounds like you are getting there! The longest I've run this year is 5.5. I'm planning on going 6 miles this Saturday so we are about in the same place. (Though you are faster than me. My 5.5 mile run took me 65 minutes.) Anyway, I like hearing your progress. I think I'll do a Hal Higdon plan starting in October. Training in the cold is going to be a bummer though. I'm not quite sure how that is going to go because I can't imagine a long run on the treadmill. Keep training
Old 08-06-2009, 02:22 PM   #26
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismagiclover View Post
Hey there. I'm registered to run the Donald too. It sounds like you are getting there! The longest I've run this year is 5.5. I'm planning on going 6 miles this Saturday so we are about in the same place. (Though you are faster than me. My 5.5 mile run took me 65 minutes.) Anyway, I like hearing your progress. I think I'll do a Hal Higdon plan starting in October. Training in the cold is going to be a bummer though. I'm not quite sure how that is going to go because I can't imagine a long run on the treadmill. Keep training
welcome! good luck on your training as well! So far I've gotten up to 7.5miles and that was a killer. I really need to start keeping up with this journal more! This weekend I'm going to attempt 8 miles. Just the though of it kinda bums me out!
Old 08-08-2009, 05:13 PM   #27
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

so today I ran my first 8 miles ever! I actually felt really good and am really happy about it. woke up early and tried to figure out the best meal to eat before a long run. I've been playing around with things and I think I found a winner. Had 1/2 a cup of oatmeal made with water with raisins, cinnamon, and a tsp or tbsp of natural peanut butter. YUMMY and filling and apparently did the trick.

I also had a 20oz water bottle that I filled with half water and half gatorade. Also brought some Gu Chomps with me for about halfway through the run to give me a little extra kick. Took a few sips every half mile or so of the drink.

Started out at a 12:30 pace (about 2:30 below my normal pace for short runs). Then I thought might crash so starting at mile 2 I dropped down to a 13:00 pace. About 5 miles in I realized that I had a bit more energy then expected and decided to up the pace again to see how I did. Kept miles 6 and 7 around 12 mins and then my last mile finished in 11:45. YAYYY!! If I had kept a slower pace I'm sure I could have kept on going.

Knees are slightly sore, as are my feet but nothing horrible. Next week I'll probably try for 9 miles! yayyy!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/10734937
Old 08-09-2009, 08:58 AM   #28
MyMuse
From here...to there!

Location: North NJ (I don't know any Sopranos! or Real Housewives!)

Smile

Congrats!!

The garmin thngy looked cool!
Old 08-09-2009, 03:50 PM   #29
dismagiclover
Mrs. Darling: Mom to Wendy, John & Michael

That is awesome! You should be more than ready by the time January rolls around
Old 08-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #30
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMuse View Post
Congrats!!

The garmin thngy looked cool!
thank you! i love my garmin...i'm so addicted to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismagiclover View Post
That is awesome! You should be more than ready by the time January rolls around
thank you! i'm hoping I can keep up with the gradual increase in mileage.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: