Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2009, 11:23 AM   #1
scottie
BWV's= Our Second Home

Whats the best product to take for washing machine onboard?

Just curious if there are any decent compact washer detergents out there that can packed in the suitcase, maybe in a capsule type form, instead of buying it onboard? I imagine I could just measure some out and put it in plastic bags before we leave but was looking for something pre-packed other then the cardboard boxes you can buy out of machine type.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:12 PM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

This issue is now REALLY complicated as some of the washers on the Magic are high efficiency and some have not been upgraded....I have a box of laundry "tablets" that I got a long time ago. I save it for the cruise because I can't find them any more.

Another thing I've done--if you have any empty prescription bottles or other small plastic bottles--measure the right amount into each one (dry detergent). I then put the bottle in a zip lock bag for extra security and pack in the suitcase.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
GymboAddict
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post

Another thing I've done--if you have any empty prescription bottles or other small plastic bottles--measure the right amount into each one (dry detergent). I then put the bottle in a zip lock bag for extra security and pack in the suitcase.
Thanks for the GREAT idea! I have used the plastic baggie thing - and I double bag to be on the safe side and just use the extra baggie for whatever later on.

But LOVIN' the pill bottle idea!

Wendy
Old 01-17-2009, 02:04 PM   #4
CruiseToSee
Earning My Ears

All the washing machines on the Magic on deck 6 are high efficiency. They work best with "E" detergents. Hope that helps.
CruiseToSee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #5
scottie
BWV's= Our Second Home

I was doing some searching online and they only thing I ran across that looked like a good idea and easy to transport were something call Dropps. Any one had experience with those onboard or another simliar product I might be able to find online or in the store?
Old 01-17-2009, 03:19 PM   #6
quiltymom
Ears to you, kids!
Recognize the differences; experience it with open arms.

If you're looking for small, travel-sized packs of detergent, Target has some single size liquid laundry detergent in their samples asile. I do believe that it is Tide, but you could use as little or as much as you need. I grabbed a bunch just to have on hand for trips - they are really handy!
DCL: 10/18-22/09, 4/13-17/14; POP: 10/22-24/09; POR: 10/13-20/07; WL: 3/28/05 - 4/2/05. Many visits to Disneyland, including Grad Nite '77, 6/02, 7/03, 7/11/05, 7/18/06 & 6/30-7/1/08, 7/12, GCH 8/9-11/10.
quiltymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:43 PM   #7
Mini Sorcerer's Mom
Mini Sorcere's Mom

Forgive me for not knowing but....what is 'E' detergent? We will be staying on deck 6 and I plan on doing laundry. I have a bunch of the TIDE travel size boxes, will they work or are they not 'E'?
Thanks!
2007: Contemporary/Beach Club Villas, Port Orleans/Boardwalk Villas, Grand Floridian
2008: Saratoga Springs/Grand Floridian, Animal Kingdom/Vero Beach, Coranado Springs/Beach Club Villas
2009: Disney Magic Western Carribean Cruise, Wilderness Villas, Disney Wonder Bounceback Cruise, Animal Kingdom Villas
2010:Villas at Wilderness Lodge/ DISNEYLAND Grand Californian; Christmas to NYE trip; Boardwalk Villas/Animal Kingdom/2011: Villas at Wilderness Lodge Animal Kingdom/2012: Animal Kingdom Kindani Villas/
If I wouldn't miss my dogs so much...I could live at Disney!
Mini Sorcerer's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:02 PM   #8
kcashner
DIS Veteran

E is high efficiency stuff...made for high efficiency washers. You SHOULD use a high efficiency detergent with a high efficiency washer. I'll update you in a month, but my last check showed that on the Magic, some of the washers had been upgraded to HE and some had not. THey were still selling regular detergent in the dispensers.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:07 PM   #9
tinytink
DIS Veteran

I think what you want to look for is the HE stuff or use half of the regular detergent.

We personally like the tablets but like the pp said the tablets can't be found anywhere. I think when we bought our it was over 3 years ago at the military PX/BX. We looked again for our last cruise and we searched at CVS, Rite Aid, Safeway, Giant, Target, and Kmart with no luck. I've seen cruisers using gallons sizes bags with detergent in them. Good luck.
2006 Castaway Cay Double Dip
2004 DCL Eastern Caribbean's First Trip to Antigua
tinytink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:44 PM   #10
scottie
BWV's= Our Second Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytink View Post
I think what you want to look for is the HE stuff or use half of the regular detergent.

We personally like the tablets but like the pp said the tablets can't be found anywhere. I think when we bought our it was over 3 years ago at the military PX/BX. We looked again for our last cruise and we searched at CVS, Rite Aid, Safeway, Giant, Target, and Kmart with no luck. I've seen cruisers using gallons sizes bags with detergent in them. Good luck.
Hopefully someone will be able to post some experience with the Dropps I saw online (appear to be at Target and drugstore.com and some others). They look to be the next best option to the tablets as a prepackaged detergent. They also look to be for HE washers
Old 01-18-2009, 08:52 PM   #11
spaddy
I swear he would make us ride that over and over

I have used the Dropps and love them. I use them at WDW all the time. I have not used them on the cruise, but they would work the same. I put a couple in a small container. They are really small and clean the clothes great. They are also very easy to just throw in the washer before the clothes.
spaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:39 PM   #13
tinytink
DIS Veteran

I just read up on Dropps and I love the concept, I will have to pick some up and test it out. It kinda reminds me of the dishwasher pacs, I wonder if you can use the dishwashing pac for the laundry in a pinch. The only thing about Dropps is it seem pretty expensive but since it's a HE formula it turns out to be a pretty good deal. Available at Walmart, Amazon, Target and Drugstore.com (according to the Dropps website.)
2006 Castaway Cay Double Dip
2004 DCL Eastern Caribbean's First Trip to Antigua
tinytink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:45 AM   #14
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Love these sheets. They look like dryer sheets, but have the detergent and fabric softener built in and definately no mess. I need to order more for our cruises.
http://www.asseenontvandmore.com/bdefasodrsh.html
Old 01-19-2009, 08:24 AM   #15
scottie
BWV's= Our Second Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
Love these sheets. They look like dryer sheets, but have the detergent and fabric softener built in and definately no mess. I need to order more for our cruises.
http://www.asseenontvandmore.com/bdefasodrsh.html
Those look like a neat idea, bummer shipping is so much. I wonder if Walmart carries these in their as-seen-on-tv type isles?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: