Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2009, 11:20 AM   #1606
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

Great update! I can't get over how many activities they had planned (even if several of them didn't work!). The kids look so cute in their suits!

Isn't the monorail accident tragic? I've been thinking about it all morning. You are absolutely right. Bad things aren't supposed to happen in WDW and certainly not to the monorail. I don't know if I'll look at it the same way again? I'll be interested to see what they find to be the cause of the accident.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:20 AM   #1607
wigdoutdismom
DIS Veteran

I'm so sorry you had some bad luck on your last night. I'm sure you would have had a great time! It does look like you made the best of it though. The Giant Jenga looks really fun, Hannah looks like quite a pro. Did Em ever pull one out?
It's fun to see you all enjoying the pool so much, we usually never take the time to really enjoy our resort. That did finally change for us this trip though...
Register to remove

Old 07-05-2009, 11:24 AM   #1608
Lifelong_Dreamer
DIS Veteran

What a bummer that you evening activities got washed out (literally) and then the movie was canceled.

It looks like you guys enjoyed your time at the Contemporary though, taking full advantage of the upgrade.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:25 AM   #1609
IluvXU
DIS Veteran

I thought I would share a list of some of the other activities planned at the Contemporary that week:

The campfire was five nights a week as was the movie.

Plus....
Jammin' Pool Party
Pitchburst
Sidewalk Chalk
Pool Vollleyball
What's in Your Beach Bag?
Splish Splash Games
Are you a Guitar Hero?
Ladder Golf
Chip In Challenge
Sudoku Challenge

Needless to say I wish we would have had more time to partake in this fun... next year
Old 07-05-2009, 11:35 AM   #1610
punkin413
feel the magic, dang it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvXU View Post
look at that belly!!!!! so cute and huggable!!!!

Quote:
i love how luke has your DH's sunglasses, sort of like, "hmmmmm....what are these? i think i'll try them on."

really cool how they had all those activities for the kids. too bad some of them didn't work out. sounds like you guys had a full day anyway though!

Quote:
I am so sickened by the accident with the monorails. I have always loved to ride the monorail at WDW, and it was especially special this trip to stay at the Contemporary. I can only imagine how sad and quiet it would be on the 4th floor of the Contemporary today. The poor CM is in my prayers... and all those traveling at WDW whose trip was interrupted by the tragedy... only good things are to happen at WDW!
this is just awful. my sister called me this morning to tell me. i hadn't been on the internet yet and hadn't even turned the TV on so i didn't know. i just heard a little while ago that he was only 21. my prayers are with his family and friends.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:41 PM   #1611
DreaGirl
DIS Veteran

Luke is just adorable in his swimsuit and shirt. I almost had to do a double take because B. has the same hat, similar shirt, and similar trunks.

Your girls really like to swim and I'm surprised they are just not wiped out by the end of the day. I guess with all the excitement it is hard to settle down.

I'm so upset about the monorail accident. It was the first thing I heard on CNN this morning. So sad that the driver was only 21. I hope they find out what happened quickly and get the problem resolved. Must be so strange to not see any monorails today...

Drea, DH, DD 8 y.o., DS 5 y.o.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:37 PM   #1612
cjackearl
DIS Veteran

Giant Jenga by the pool looks fun. Wow, there were lots of activities planned. Too bad about the movie not working out. I'm anxiously waiting to hear what happens with your tickets.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:25 PM   #1613
ladybugmom
DIS Veteran

What a sweet update!! Your kids look like they LOVED the pool!! Too bad you didn't get to see the movie. They do that at the Grand Floridian, too and guests from the Poly get to go--since it rained every night we were unable to see any of them, though--on our list for next time!! Can't wait to read more!

I'm also saddened by the monorail accident. Praying for everyone involved!
Old 07-05-2009, 03:13 PM   #1614
stace208
DIS Veteran

Another great update! My favorite picture is the one of Luke by the pool with his bottle-a-d-o-r-a-b-l-e!! Reminds me of my ds at that age--give him a bottle and all is right with the world Looks like everyone had a great day hanging at the pool even if the last few things fell through.

It is so sad about the monorail accident. We rode it so often this last trip...I keep wondering if he was our driver at some point.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:32 PM   #1615
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

What a fun afternoon and evening at the Contemporary! That's a shame about the last three activities not quite working out as planned though.

The monorail accident is just tragic! It has haunted me all day -- the monorail is just one of those things I always think of when I think of Disney. That poor CM and his family.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:52 PM   #1616
FairyGodmotherJen
DIS Veteran

Oh, how much fun you must've had! I swear, I'm going to learn a lesson from you and really, truly take a day to enjoy the resort. I'm so glad you got to upgrade like this - what a lot of wonderful memories for you!

I think that there are lots of reasons why the monorail accident has me so upset today - but the top two are that the poor man was just doing his job trying to get happy vacationers back to their beds, and that it's Disney World. Like you said, bad things just aren't supposed to happen there! All we can do is pray now that his family finds some peace eventually, and that Disney can pinpoint what went wrong so that it will never happen again.

October 2012 Trip report

Old 07-05-2009, 09:53 PM   #1617
MeMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
[SIZE="4"]

So cute!

Too bad about the movie. That would have been fun.
The girls can look forward to doing it on your next trip.

I think a whole nation of Disers have been in shock today about the accident. It has brought us together in thought and prayer for those involved and hopefully has made us all appreciate the time we have with those we love even more than ever.
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:56 PM   #1618
IluvXU
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
Oh my goodness, look at that little baby belly!

Too bad some of your activities were ruined. I hate that when it happens. I do think that you couldn't have been upgraded to a better resort for your first two days though. What a nice way to explore a new place!

I hope the morning goes smoothly....
It was sad that the last day we could not do all that we had hoped to experience at the Contemporary. But it was all more than we expected. I was a bit miffed about Wishes... DH failed to say where they were headed, so I ended up going to the beach with the rest the gang. oh well... it was just a little thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
I can't believe how sad that is. I feel so bad for all of those involved.

I can't really grasp how horrid it would be. And how much of a mess today's transportation would be... a busy holiday weekend none the less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillyb View Post
What???!!!! What happened???!!

I am sure you know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigdoutdismom View Post
Oh my gosh, I just sent Marc off to find out the details...
How tragic!
We had a young driver last year when we sat in the front. I never would sit in the front again, and probably will be more forceful about keeping my entire party together. We separated once, it give me chills thinking that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
Great update! I can't get over how many activities they had planned (even if several of them didn't work!). The kids look so cute in their suits!

Isn't the monorail accident tragic? I've been thinking about it all morning. You are absolutely right. Bad things aren't supposed to happen in WDW and certainly not to the monorail. I don't know if I'll look at it the same way again? I'll be interested to see what they find to be the cause of the accident.
I wonder what we will ever find out... Disney keeps things hush hush I think at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigdoutdismom View Post
I'm so sorry you had some bad luck on your last night. I'm sure you would have had a great time! It does look like you made the best of it though. The Giant Jenga looks really fun, Hannah looks like quite a pro. Did Em ever pull one out?
It's fun to see you all enjoying the pool so much, we usually never take the time to really enjoy our resort. That did finally change for us this trip though...
Hannah would say later the big kids wouldn't let Em, but the Em I know never lets anyone push her around. We love resort time... in fact I learned how much we need it this trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifelong_Dreamer View Post
What a bummer that you evening activities got washed out (literally) and then the movie was canceled.

It looks like you guys enjoyed your time at the Contemporary though, taking full advantage of the upgrade.

The movie probably would have been a backdrop. My kids picked the pool over sitting, but would have caught bits and pieces I am sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin413 View Post
look at that belly!!!!! so cute and huggable!!!!

i love how luke has your DH's sunglasses, sort of like, "hmmmmm....what are these? i think i'll try them on."

really cool how they had all those activities for the kids. too bad some of them didn't work out. sounds like you guys had a full day anyway though!

this is just awful. my sister called me this morning to tell me. i hadn't been on the internet yet and hadn't even turned the TV on so i didn't know. i just heard a little while ago that he was only 21. my prayers are with his family and friends.
It made me sick to see the FB pic of him (the driver) ... just like he was still around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaGirl View Post
Luke is just adorable in his swimsuit and shirt. I almost had to do a double take because B. has the same hat, similar shirt, and similar trunks.

Your girls really like to swim and I'm surprised they are just not wiped out by the end of the day. I guess with all the excitement it is hard to settle down.

I'm so upset about the monorail accident. It was the first thing I heard on CNN this morning. So sad that the driver was only 21. I hope they find out what happened quickly and get the problem resolved. Must be so strange to not see any monorails today...

Luke left that hat on at that point. He is getting hard to keep one on now... in fact it is making me crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjackearl View Post
Giant Jenga by the pool looks fun. Wow, there were lots of activities planned. Too bad about the movie not working out. I'm anxiously waiting to hear what happens with your tickets.
Oh... just wait... just don't always trust CM to fix things. They sometimes don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugmom View Post
What a sweet update!! Your kids look like they LOVED the pool!! Too bad you didn't get to see the movie. They do that at the Grand Floridian, too and guests from the Poly get to go--since it rained every night we were unable to see any of them, though--on our list for next time!! Can't wait to read more!

I'm also saddened by the monorail accident. Praying for everyone involved!

I hope to see a movie poolside some trip. DH and I both said how fun would that be for the yard... our kids and neighbors would have a blast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stace208 View Post
Another great update! My favorite picture is the one of Luke by the pool with his bottle-a-d-o-r-a-b-l-e!! Reminds me of my ds at that age--give him a bottle and all is right with the world Looks like everyone had a great day hanging at the pool even if the last few things fell through.

It is so sad about the monorail accident. We rode it so often this last trip...I keep wondering if he was our driver at some point.
I wondered the same thing... he might have been, I wonder if they stick to to a certain color one... if so we were on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
What a fun afternoon and evening at the Contemporary! That's a shame about the last three activities not quite working out as planned though.

The monorail accident is just tragic! It has haunted me all day -- the monorail is just one of those things I always think of when I think of Disney. That poor CM and his family.
We were doing great at the trivia too. The crowd had trickled down since it was dinner hour and it was sprinkling... we had great odds! There were some travel board games I had my eye on for the girls as prizes.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:01 PM   #1619
IluvXU
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
So cute!

Too bad about the movie. That would have been fun.
The girls can look forward to doing it on your next trip.

I think a whole nation of Disers have been in shock today about the accident. It has brought us together in thought and prayer for those involved and hopefully has made us all appreciate the time we have with those we love even more than ever.
I knew that you would be able to say it in a way that expresses how I feel. Thanks MeMom.

We were at WDW when two "bad" things happened before.... there was a hostage situation when we were on our honeymoon at the Boardwalk and a person died on Mission space during a trip. Both were terrible, but isolated incidents. This is something I think everyone that visits WDW shudders to think about, because you have to see the monorail and or ride it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyGodmotherJen View Post
Oh, how much fun you must've had! I swear, I'm going to learn a lesson from you and really, truly take a day to enjoy the resort. I'm so glad you got to upgrade like this - what a lot of wonderful memories for you!

I think that there are lots of reasons why the monorail accident has me so upset today - but the top two are that the poor man was just doing his job trying to get happy vacationers back to their beds, and that it's Disney World. Like you said, bad things just aren't supposed to happen there! All we can do is pray now that his family finds some peace eventually, and that Disney can pinpoint what went wrong so that it will never happen again.
Day offs are important.... I always thought DH needed them, but after this trip I know I need them!
Old 07-05-2009, 11:42 PM   #1620
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

Just letting you know I'm here... got some catching up to do... but I'm here!!

Kathy

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: