Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2009, 08:16 PM   #1
kellia
DIS Veteran

How does Alamo work with pick up/drop off car?

I have only rented a car once and that was a long time ago! I reserved a car through Alamo, but they didn't ask for any cc info. Am I guaranteed a car without that? Also, it sent me an email about their "kiosk", do I just take that paper and scan it and pay there or do I have to wait in line and talk with a real person? Any idea how long to get the car and to drop it off later? Definately don't want to miss the flight home!

Thanks for any info!
kellia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:51 PM   #2
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

The kiosk is so easy. When you get your luggage, go to ground transportation/rental car area, on 1st floor I think. Use the kiosk touch screen to enter your ressie #. Follow the onscreen directions to accept or decline insurance, addl. drivers, etc. Once you're done it will give you a print out. Take it and go across the street to the garage, following signs for Alamo which was def. on the upper level. (as of Thanksgiving anyway.)

You just go to the aisle of the car level you reserved: compact, midsize, convertible, etc. You just choose a car in that aisle and put your stuff in. The key will be in the door and a hang tag on the rearview mirror. Just follow the exit signs and you'll come to a booth. Give the clerk your DL, cc, hang tag and kiosk printout. They verify everything and off you go.

When you return for drop off it's very quick and easy. You follow the signs for car rental return as you head toward the airport. Then follow the signs for Alamo once you get back into the garage. You just pull up behind the car that's in front of you. By the time you unload the trunk, a clerk has scanned some barcode thing in the windshield, enters your current mileage and prints out a receipt for you. It's always matched the price I expected when I first reserved online. We use them at least 3x per year.

I like that we don't have to wait in any lines, we don't have to take a shuttle to an off airport location, and we get SWA credits as an added perk, sometimes quadruple credits! The best part is choosing a car. Some have leather, some sunroofs, different colors/models, etc. It's fun. I like that if a car smells like smoke, we can easily pick another.
It sounds like a lot but once you do it, you'll see how easy it is. You can take a luggage cart from the terminal to your car if you have a lot of bags. There are elevators.
If you're not using a coupon, your email confirmation will allow you to check in online via a link from your email. If you can check in online, you don't have to use the kiosk or wait at the counter at all. Just go straight to the garage from baggage pick up.
If you have a coupon or e-coupon, you must check in via kiosk or wait in line at the counter. Kiosk is good that you don't have some dopey sales clerk pushing insurance on you that you don't want.

hth!! have a great time!

ruadisneyfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2009, 11:00 PM   #3
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

forgot to mention, we usually allow about 30 mins for car rental return, in addition to arriving 2 hrs prior to our flight. We don't like to feel rushed and just in case we miss an exit, have a flat, etc. We don't prepay gas so that means stopping on the way to fill the tank too prior to returning it. You don't have to fill right outside the airport. If you fill in the Disney area and go straight to MCO, it will still read FULL. For us this is a project in itself. We live in NJ and only pump our own gas when we're in FL.

Picking up the car probably takes about 15 mins. My family usually spends more time there while the kids bicker about which is the better car.

They will automatically bill the cc you gave at the exit booth. That is listed on the little printout receipt you get when you return the car.

Last edited by ruadisneyfan2; 01-16-2009 at 11:05 PM. Reason: forgot something.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
kellia
DIS Veteran

Thank you very much for that helpful information!!
kellia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:06 AM   #5
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellia View Post
Thank you very much for that helpful information!!

You're welcome! Have a great trip!!

Old 01-18-2009, 09:45 AM   #6
snappy
Survivor
Can't even start a dead thread!
Former 5 yr old STAR on stage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post

I like that we don't have to wait in any lines, we don't have to take a shuttle to an off airport location, and we get SWA credits as an added perk, sometimes quadruple credits!

How do you apply for the SWA credits?
Old 01-18-2009, 10:16 AM   #7
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy View Post
How do you apply for the SWA credits?
Just give them your Rapid Rewards account #. You normally get 0.5 credits for car rentals, even for a 1 day rental.
SWA emailed me a discount code that also gives quadruple credits, 2.0 instead of 0.5. Here it is:

Rent from Alamo and receive two Rapid Rewards credits (that's quadruple the standard 0.5 credit per rental). When you rack up credits this quickly, you'll qualify for a free roundtrip flight in no time!

Available on midsize or larger car rentals of three or more days
Available in the U.S. or Canada
Valid from 12/18/08 – 2/28/09
Book online at southwest.com, alamo.com, or call 1-800-462-5266
Request Contract ID #7014657 when booking
Provide your Rapid Rewards account number at time of rental

Here's the "fine print"

Offer valid from 12/18/08 – 2/28/09. Offer applies to base rate only, which does not include taxes (including VAT/GST), other governmentally-authorized or imposed/surcharges, license recoupment/air tax recovery and concession recoupment fees, airport and airport facility fees, fuel, additional driver fee, one-way rental charge, or optional items. Renter must meet standard age, driver, and credit requirements (may vary by country). 24-hour advance reservation required. May not be combined with other discount or promotional rates. Availability is limited. Subject to change without notice. Offer valid only at participating Alamo locations. Blackout dates may apply. Reservations for rentals picked up in Canada cannot be made on southwest.com. Offer not valid in the New York Metropolitan area. The Rapid Rewards Award is free, but travel is subject to the government-imposed September 11th Security Fee of up to $10 per roundtrip. Frequent flyer surcharge of $2.00 may apply. Please allow 4-6 weeks for credits to post. All Rapid Rewards program rules and regulations apply. Alamo, the Alamo logo, and Drive Happy are trademarks of Vanguard Trademark Holdings USA LLC. All other marks are the property of their respective owners. ©2008 Vanguard Car Rental USA Inc.

You can still use coupons too from Alamo's website such as free upgrade, $25 off weekly rental, etc. However you can't combine this with the prepay option since you can only enter 1 contract ID#.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
snappy
Survivor
Can't even start a dead thread!
Former 5 yr old STAR on stage!

Thanks for the info, ruadisneyfan2.

You have been a lot of help. I have been using National but Alamo has better rates for me right now.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:44 PM   #9
mdurette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Just give them your Rapid Rewards account #. You normally get 0.5 credits for car rentals, even for a 1 day rental.
SWA emailed me a discount code that also gives quadruple credits, 2.0 instead of 0.5. Here it is:

Rent from Alamo and receive two Rapid Rewards credits (that's quadruple the standard 0.5 credit per rental). When you rack up credits this quickly, you'll qualify for a free roundtrip flight in no time!

Available on midsize or larger car rentals of three or more days
Available in the U.S. or Canada
Valid from 12/18/08 – 2/28/09
Book online at southwest.com, alamo.com, or call 1-800-462-5266
Request Contract ID #7014657 when booking
Provide your Rapid Rewards account number at time of rental

Here's the "fine print"

Offer valid from 12/18/08 – 2/28/09. Offer applies to base rate only, which does not include taxes (including VAT/GST), other governmentally-authorized or imposed/surcharges, license recoupment/air tax recovery and concession recoupment fees, airport and airport facility fees, fuel, additional driver fee, one-way rental charge, or optional items. Renter must meet standard age, driver, and credit requirements (may vary by country). 24-hour advance reservation required. May not be combined with other discount or promotional rates. Availability is limited. Subject to change without notice. Offer valid only at participating Alamo locations. Blackout dates may apply. Reservations for rentals picked up in Canada cannot be made on southwest.com. Offer not valid in the New York Metropolitan area. The Rapid Rewards Award is free, but travel is subject to the government-imposed September 11th Security Fee of up to $10 per roundtrip. Frequent flyer surcharge of $2.00 may apply. Please allow 4-6 weeks for credits to post. All Rapid Rewards program rules and regulations apply. Alamo, the Alamo logo, and Drive Happy are trademarks of Vanguard Trademark Holdings USA LLC. All other marks are the property of their respective owners. ©2008 Vanguard Car Rental USA Inc.

You can still use coupons too from Alamo's website such as free upgrade, $25 off weekly rental, etc. However you can't combine this with the prepay option since you can only enter 1 contract ID#.

Since you seem to know your way around SWA credits I have a question for you! I have 10 credits from 6 past round trips. The 1st one happened in late May of 2007 so I have until then to add 6 more for a free trip. We have a trip planned in January and early May so that will be 4 - but I still need 2 more. Are you saying one car rental could give me the 2 that I need if I get x4 special?
mdurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:49 PM   #10
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdurette View Post
Since you seem to know your way around SWA credits I have a question for you! I have 10 credits from 6 past round trips. The 1st one happened in late May of 2007 so I have until then to add 6 more for a free trip. We have a trip planned in January and early May so that will be 4 - but I still need 2 more. Are you saying one car rental could give me the 2 that I need if I get x4 special?
Yes! Just be aware that you will see the .5 appear on your SWA acct. right away. The bonus ones don't get applied until the end of the promotion which is 2/28/09.

I know this for certain from speaking with Alamo so many times. We still haven't received our bonus 1.5 credits from our Sept. visit. I was told by 2 different operators I wouldn't get them until the promotion ends Dec. 15. I gave it a few weeks and still didn't see any. When I called back again I was told they're aware there's been a problem with that particular code and give it 10 business days. That's where I'm at now. While on the phone I asked about the new code (the one I posted earlier) since we're using it in a few weeks. I asked if there will be a problem with this one too and she said it won't be a problem.
I have used Triple Rapid Rewards codes 2x last year and they posted to my account without ever having to call. I'm hoping the Sept situation is a fluke thing.
I'm still willing to give them another chance so I'll be using the above code in a few weeks. I still need 11 credits for an award and still hopeful to get one in time for our fall Disney cruise.
Do you have their credit card? You get lots of bonus points for signing up. I believe you can sign up through their website.
Last summer I rented from Alamo at home while my car had some work done. I only needed .5 credits and that did it for me.
good luck! We love award travel!

Old 01-18-2009, 03:54 PM   #11
1PrincessMomma1
DIS Veteran

Just remember you are never "guaranteed" a car with any rental agency. If they run out too bad so sad is the general policy.
1PrincessMomma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:01 PM   #12
mdurette
DIS Veteran

TO Ruadisneyfan2:
Thanks so much for opening my eyes to the other rewards I can earn. I have spent the rest of the afternoon on the SW site and amazed at how much I have missed because I never gave out the code. Just thinking quickly - just the my last 4 Marriot stays in the past 12 months could have put us over the top!

I also called SWA and the rep was awsome. We discussed the credit card. 8 credits for just signing up and then 1 credit for every $1,200 charged. Wow, I typically charge $3,000 + a month (and pay it off) on my Discover Card. Think I might be switching things around.

For now....
need to change my 2 upcoming Alamo ressie's to get those points!!!

Thanks Again!!!
mdurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:00 PM   #13
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PrincessMomma1 View Post
Just remember you are never "guaranteed" a car with any rental agency. If they run out too bad so sad is the general policy.
Wow, I've never been told that in about 20 car rentals. Usually if they're out of the size we reserved, they give us a free upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdurette View Post
TO Ruadisneyfan2:
Thanks so much for opening my eyes to the other rewards I can earn. I have spent the rest of the afternoon on the SW site and amazed at how much I have missed because I never gave out the code. Just thinking quickly - just the my last 4 Marriot stays in the past 12 months could have put us over the top!

I also called SWA and the rep was awsome. We discussed the credit card. 8 credits for just signing up and then 1 credit for every $1,200 charged. Wow, I typically charge $3,000 + a month (and pay it off) on my Discover Card. Think I might be switching things around.

For now....
need to change my 2 upcoming Alamo ressie's to get those points!!!

Thanks Again!!!

You're so welcome! Glad I could help.
BTW, if your Marriott stays are at their Fairfield Inn brand, they are not eligible. Drat cuz the one right next to MCO is decent for late night arrivals and has free light breakfast.

Also when you use their cc for SWA purchases, you get double points so only $600 to get another credit.
Have fun earning credits!!

Old 01-19-2009, 02:00 PM   #14
1PrincessMomma1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wow, I've never been told that in about 20 car rentals. Usually if they're out of the size we reserved, they give us a free upgrade.

You're so welcome! Glad I could help.
BTW, if your Marriott stays are at their Fairfield Inn brand, they are not eligible. Drat cuz the one right next to MCO is decent for late night arrivals and has free light breakfast.

Also when you use their cc for SWA purchases, you get double points so only $600 to get another credit.
Have fun earning credits!!
If they're out of all cars then no upgrade for you and no car. I rent monthly and yes it has happened on more than 1 occasion.
1PrincessMomma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:25 PM   #15
WDW Freak
Long Time Lurker

Alamo on second level of garage?

We're trying Alamo for the first time, as well, this coming Friday. We usually use National, but the Alamo minivan rate is $30 cheaper. I have been considering switching back to a National ressie just because it would be easier for us as we know what to expect. Can you knowledgable Alamo people help to ease my mind?

We're flying in on SWA to we'll be on the "A" side (also a first for us as we normally fly Delta, but they stopped their non-stop Raleigh service). For the "A" side, is Alamo next to National on the ground floor or are they one level up in the garage? A small detail, I know, but I'm type A and a normal Dis obsessive planner!

Also, we have Quiksilver and plan to go straight to the garage kiosk, skipping the counter and the kiosk. Since this will be our first rental with Quiksilver do you think we'll have any problems not using the counter? We faxed in our master rental agreement, so they have all of our information in advance.

Thanks for your help!

FW-76,78,79, Off-site-80, FW-81,82, CBR-90, FW-3/92, ASM/WL-12/96, BC/DI-5/98, CBR-9/98, YC-5/99, BC-1/00, YC-9/00, Poly-4/01, BC-12/01, BWV-1/04, SOG/BCV-9/04, GF/OKW-12/05, AKL-9/06, SOG/OKW/DCL-1/07, BWV-9/07, YC/OKW-1/08, OKW-1/09, BLT-1/10, OKW - 1/11, Hawaii 1/12, BC 8/12, OKW 9/13
WDW Freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: