Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2011, 07:40 AM   #1036
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM View Post
I saw the Book of Mormon today. It was definitely the most utterly offensive musical I've ever seen. That being said, I loved every minute of it!

It was so hilarious! Clearly very, very R-rated, but the music was fantastic and soooo funny. Strange as it sounds, the story wound up actually kinda sweet.

But we loved it! I hope it wins the Tony next week.
My husband and daughter are in NY now seeing three plays in 32 hours. Book of Mormon was on DD's short but she was a bit concerned that seeing BoM with her dad might be a little uncomfortable.

They ended up seeing Rock of Ages. They absolutely loved it but DH didn't have a clue what it was about going into it. He said it is something that a dad should not see with his 16 year old daughter! DD had an aisle seat and one of the characters came down and did some overt sexual hip grinding thing right near her face and DH said he has never felt so uncomfortable in his life!

When he texted me during intermission, I looked up the reviews and saw that a lot of people walked out with their kids because they felt it was so inappropriate. Of course, others took their 10 y/o and felt it was perfectly fine so I guess it is all based on your own perspective. Anyway, they loved it but thought it was a tad uncomfortable for a dad/daughter thing. He had read about BoM and, while he really wanted to see it, after RoA, he is glad they aren't seeing that together.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:39 AM   #1037
MM27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDisney121 View Post
I just bought my season tickets for my local broadway series and I am very excited. I don't have great seats but I get to see "West Side Story", "Bring It On The Musical", "La Cage Aux Follies"(sp?), "Memphis", "Rain" and "Wicked" (have to pass on "Billy Elliot" since we will be at wdw while they are here). It should be a great season although I am not quite as excited for any of these shows as I was about "Next to Normal" and "Rock of Ages" this past season.
I just bought tickets for Broadway Across America to see West Side Story in Boston in July. I'm so excited.
Register to remove

Old 06-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #1038
*Flower*
Needs to Win the Lottery!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgail2 View Post
We saw king tut in the summer and we went to the Harry Potter exhibit 2 weeks ago- it was great. You can get tickets in Costco for Harry Potter Exhibit for 24.99 including the audio guide which was great!
Where can I get these at Costco? We're going next month, and as there are no shows on July 4th, this is what we plan on doing.

I hope that you can give me the inside scoop!!

TIA.....
Old 06-08-2011, 06:00 AM   #1039
Mikelly1221
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Off to see 'How to Suceed....' on Sat. Get to chaperone the high school theater group's annual trip to NYC. Only drawback is that we have to eat at Ellen's Stardust Diner. That gets old quickly...been there, and don't really want to do it again. Oh well. But, looking forward to the show.
Also want to try to get tickets for sometime late June for dd and myself.
Can you tell me about Ellen's? We're heading to NYC in July (newbie) and this was one of the places my sister had mentioned.

Keeping it on-topic, we're supposed to see Spider Man while we're there..I know the show's had issues..I hope they get all worked out before we get there!
Old 06-08-2011, 01:14 PM   #1040
JenM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
My husband and daughter are in NY now seeing three plays in 32 hours. Book of Mormon was on DD's short but she was a bit concerned that seeing BoM with her dad might be a little uncomfortable.

They ended up seeing Rock of Ages. They absolutely loved it but DH didn't have a clue what it was about going into it. He said it is something that a dad should not see with his 16 year old daughter! DD had an aisle seat and one of the characters came down and did some overt sexual hip grinding thing right near her face and DH said he has never felt so uncomfortable in his life!

When he texted me during intermission, I looked up the reviews and saw that a lot of people walked out with their kids because they felt it was so inappropriate. Of course, others took their 10 y/o and felt it was perfectly fine so I guess it is all based on your own perspective. Anyway, they loved it but thought it was a tad uncomfortable for a dad/daughter thing. He had read about BoM and, while he really wanted to see it, after RoA, he is glad they aren't seeing that together.
Haha...if Rock of Ages made him uncomfortable, I would definitely vote 'no' on a father/daughter trip to Book of Mormon.

I loved Rock of Ages, but I would probably be leery of taking a 10-year-old. I know my mom didn't like me watching videos of those same songs back when I was that age (although she loves that music too).

I would definitely recommend Book of Mormon though, as long as you're prepared for the R-ratedness of it. It was just unbelievably hilarious, and I'm completely addicted to the cast recording now.
JenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:33 PM   #1041
merlib
Mouseketeer

Ellen's Stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelly1221 View Post
Can you tell me about Ellen's? We're heading to NYC in July (newbie) and this was one of the places my sister had mentioned.

Keeping it on-topic, we're supposed to see Spider Man while we're there..I know the show's had issues..I hope they get all worked out before we get there!
I can tell you about Ellen's Stardust Diner. First off -- go there for the "show", not the food. All of the waiters/waitresses sing at some point while you are there either solo or with others -- that is definitely fun to watch. They will get up on the walkways in between the booths and sing. Most of the songs are "old standards' as I recall.

The food itself is just okay(and expensive) -- but then again -- in that part of the city everything is!
Old 06-08-2011, 03:45 PM   #1042
Mikelly1221
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlib View Post
I can tell you about Ellen's Stardust Diner. First off -- go there for the "show", not the food. All of the waiters/waitresses sing at some point while you are there either solo or with others -- that is definitely fun to watch. They will get up on the walkways in between the booths and sing. Most of the songs are "old standards' as I recall.

The food itself is just okay(and expensive) -- but then again -- in that part of the city everything is!
This helps...thanks!
Old 06-09-2011, 06:54 PM   #1043
*Flower*
Needs to Win the Lottery!!

Okay everyone-

It's petition signing time!
We seem to be seeing a lot of orchestra shrinking on Broadway. There are not a lot of shows left with decent sized orchestras.
As a matter of fact, there have been reports of producers calling in musicians and recording them so that the recordings can be used to augment the few musicians playing the show music during the performances.

So, there is a website with a petition on it that you can sign to register your desire to have a decent size orchestra playing at the shows. I don't seem to be phrasing this correctly, but go here: http://savelivemusiconbroadway.com/ to register/sign the petition.

I LOVED South Pacific's 35 piece orchestra, and wished that more of the shows that I've seen had a more robust live music section to support the production. So please click through- take a look at the website and sign the petition. It will only take a minute, and I know that I'd appreciate it! They've got over 2000 signatures so far-

TIA.....
Old 06-12-2011, 10:51 PM   #1044
MissDisney121
DIS Veteran

Anyone here watch the Tony's tonight? I thought Neil Patrick Harris did a great job hosting and the performances were great. I knew Book of Mormon and The Normal Heart would clean up but I was really happy to see Norbert Leo Butz (from Catch Me if you can) and Sutton Foster (from Anything Goes) win. I have a long standing musical crush on Butz he has been in so many of my fav musicals like Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Last Five Years, and of course Wicked plus I currently love Catch Me If You Can. I also love seeing a performance from Spiderman. Jennifer Damiano and Reeve Carney were great. What did any of you guys think of the show?

MissDisney121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:03 PM   #1045
JenM
DIS Veteran

I hated Spiderman the first time around...that performance didn't convince me to give the revamped version another try at all.

Otherwise, a great Tonys show this year! I loved The Book of Mormon, so I was thrilled that it cleaned up tonight. I was happy to see John Larroquette win for How to Succeed as well.

NPH was fantastic, and I loved his duet with Hugh Jackman. They should get the two of them to host together next year.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #1046
LBIJim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM View Post
I hated Spiderman the first time around...that performance didn't convince me to give the revamped version another try at all.

Otherwise, a great Tonys show this year! I loved The Book of Mormon, so I was thrilled that it cleaned up tonight. I was happy to see John Larroquette win for How to Succeed as well.

NPH was fantastic, and I loved his duet with Hugh Jackman. They should get the two of them to host together next year.

Yeah, that performance from Spiderman seems to be telling people: Stay Away!

Was kind of disappointed in the solo from Book of Mormon as well. I'm going to see it in July and wanted to see a big production number to get me psyched for it. That solo, while very good, just wasn't very exciting.

But overall one of the better Tony shows from the past 10 years.

Jim
LBIJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:51 PM   #1047
JenM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBIJim View Post

Was kind of disappointed in the solo from Book of Mormon as well. I'm going to see it in July and wanted to see a big production number to get me psyched for it. That solo, while very good, just wasn't very exciting.

But overall one of the better Tony shows from the past 10 years.

Jim
Trust me, the aftermath of that song from Book of Mormon is one you won't forget anytime soon.

I think the problem with most of the BOM songs is that most of them are too R-rated to air on TV. The finale is a great song with the whole cast, but I think it gives to much away about the ending (and again, the funniest line in it would have to be bleeped).

I noticed they've been vey careful about releasing too many clips from the show, and they even told people when the cast album was released not to listen to it until after they've seen it. I held off and it was so worth the wait.

I was worried the show would be overhyped, but since I avoided nearly everything about it, it was even better. It was just shockingly funny and surprisingly sweet.

And of course, now I can't stop listening to the cast album.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:10 AM   #1048
The LK 4
Don't make me get out my spoon!
Now you know why I don't have time to clean my house!
Bananas just aren't appealing today
Proud owner of a Bunco Butt with dice bloomers

There was a commercial on during the Tony's that for the next 24 hours, you can download the entire cast album from BOM for only $1.99 on Amazon. I have no idea when I'll be able to see the show, so I couldn't resist downloading the album. Can't wait to listen to it on my drive into work today.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:48 AM   #1049
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBIJim View Post

Jim
diffently worked. I have no desire to see that.

Has anyone seen "The Scottsboro boys". Part of me wants to see it simply to see how they will turn that into a musical. It's a bit depressing and generally I like my musicals to be a bit upbeat.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:58 AM   #1050
CapeCodTenor
Born on a small planet around Alpha Centauri and immigrated to Roswell, N.M. in 1947 with my parents.
Was a man last time I checked
I can fart with my back

Ok, I'm irritated at myself. I missed the Tony's last night! I totally forgot it was on and watched Stargate SG1 instead! Not cool.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: