Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2009, 12:13 PM   #46
CapeCodTenor
Born on a small planet around Alpha Centauri and immigrated to Roswell, N.M. in 1947 with my parents.
Was a man last time I checked
I can fart with my back

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM View Post
Michael Damien played Joseph when the revival opened. Not sure if Donny ever did the part on Broadway.
I just looked it up on ibdb.com and saw that. However, I still think Donny Osmond did Joseph, even if it was as a replacement. At least that's what my mind's wanting to tell me.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:15 PM   #47
piney
DIS Veteran

Going back a few years: The Scarlet Pimpernel
piney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2009, 12:22 PM   #48
kafitty
yep, that almost sent snot flying out of my nose

a thread for geeks like me!!

unfortunately, i've never been able to actually see anything on Broadway.

However, i did have the amazing luck to have a position at the now-defunct BostonNOW! magazine as a theater critic...free press seats, AND i got paid to review the show!! MAN DO I MISS THAT JOB! i knew it was too good to last too long, hahaha.
i even got to interview Anthony Rapp once (originated Mark Cohen in Rent). i was soooo nervous!!

i'm definitely a musical person...my faves are Wicked, Avenue Q, Les Miz, West Side Story, Rent, and Legally Blonde.
i know, i know, about that last one. But seriously, it's done EXTREMELY well, and if you have really studied theater and musicals, you pick up on all the little inside jokes and technical stuff that make it really translate well into a show. For example, the addition of the "Greek Chorus" is just BRILLIANT!

i gotta say though...Cats is AWFUL! The music is okay as a standalone, and the dancing is fantastic, but i enjoy plot lines, hahah.

"I believe in naps."
kafitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:09 PM   #49
Aristocath
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodTenor View Post
Anyone see Sunset Blvd? I saw it in NY with Betty Buckley. I loved the sets in this show. The mansion set was amazing.
That was a great show! Betty Buckley was amazing.

I'm getting tickets for Guys and Dolls in February. It is one of my all time favorite musicals.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:29 PM   #50
lisajl
This is our dog Chloe!
I am not sure I want drool all over the keyboard!
A very merry unbirthday to us all!!!

The last one I saw was Wicked. Absolutely great!

What about off Broadway? When I was in N.Y. a loooonnnnggg time ago I saw The Fantastiks. It was great, too. It was this small little theatre, made you feel like you were a part of it all.

My new fave, I wish I would have been able to see...
Grey Gardens. I like Christine Ebersole and I love this song....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-P-Bvn8qGo
Old 01-16-2009, 01:51 PM   #51
bgirl29
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodTenor View Post
Didn't Donny Osmond do Joseph when it was revived?
Donny did perform in Jospeh in Chicago. We saw him there and loved it. I am pretty sure he was in Toronto with it too, before moving to Chicago.
bgirl29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:29 PM   #52
Hercules10
Al Bundy WannaBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgirl29 View Post
Donny did perform in Jospeh in Chicago. We saw him there and loved it. I am pretty sure he was in Toronto with it too, before moving to Chicago.
Buy it here:
http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...rchID=15494767

If anyone is interested.
Hercules10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:37 PM   #53
DISshopkeeper
Had 3 topplings over the years
I'm always on the lookout for Goofy stuff for the DISshop!!

Love a lot of these shows! Les Miz is my fave. Loved Mary Poppins, too, but I've been a Poppins fan since I was 10!

One not mentioned so far that I really loved... The Full Monty. SO funny!

I feel fortunate to live near Philly, just a short shot to NYC. Plus there's a CHEAP bus from Philly ---> Penn Station that has elevated a Broadway trip to a spur-of-the-moment event for us sometimes. $20 RT bus, hop in the TKTS line. Always a great day!

ETA! I forgot to mention the South Pacific revival at Lincoln Center! SO GOOD!
DISshopkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:55 PM   #54
tiggger1
I put vicks on my feet
It really cleans my floors and makes them softer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piney View Post

Recently, off-Broadway: Rock of Ages - awesome show!
How was Constantine in ROA? I did Les Mis in concert with him before he did AI...
Old 01-16-2009, 04:26 PM   #55
PK Disney Dork
Friends! Help! A guinea pig tricked me!

Ah now this is a topic near and dear to my heart...generally because it's how I make my living!

Let's see my favorite musicals...ok this will be in no particular order...

Urinetown the Musical!-Possibly one of the smartest and most complete shows written in the past decade! Brilliantly funny and a score that rivals anything ever written.

The Fantasticks!-It's musical theatre in its purest form. It's a smple love story with strange twists and an ending that leaves you smiling.

Showboat-It amazes me how a show as old as this one can still be so socially relavent! A lush score that has never been matched!

Sweeney Todd-This is Sondheim's magnum opus! Nothing compares to the dark complexities show this brings to the table. I am talking however about the original incarnation of the show and not the joke of a revival a few years ago.

Big River-Mark Twain's best book combined with the originality of the score by Roger Miller...just good and deep stuff.

How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying-Quirky...catchy tunes with a very campy story...what's not to love?

As far as plays go...no explanations...just here they are...

The Changling

The Foreigner

The Diviners

End Game

Six Degrees of Seperation

I've never been a fan of anything Andrew Lloyd Webber has ever written. Most of his shows are extremely repetitive and tend to lose steam by intermission. Cats being a complete abomination!

Like I said...live theatre is how I make a living...as an actor and director...so threads like this are great!!!

PK Disney Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:12 PM   #56
LoraJ

I need a vacation!
Wanted to bid on Bare Naked Ladies?!?! The Tag Fairy is Shocked!

I think it was Michael Damian I saw in Joseph.

I remembered a couple more of my favorites, Tommy and How to Succeed in Business Without Really trying. Saw both of them twice.

LoraJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:24 PM   #57
Realgrumpy
Think we've watched Willy Wonka too many times?
Ooooh the slip-n-slide! Ouch.

Rent
Xanadu
Spring Awakening
Wicked

...in that order. I am bummed that I didn't see Spring Awakening one last time before it closed.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:33 PM   #58
MM27
DIS Veteran

I've seen a ton of Broadway shows, but my all time favorite has to be Blood Brothers. Saw it with the Cassidy brothers

The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee was one that had me laughing the entire show.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:18 PM   #59
LoraJ

I need a vacation!
Wanted to bid on Bare Naked Ladies?!?! The Tag Fairy is Shocked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM27 View Post
I've seen a ton of Broadway shows, but my all time favorite has to be Blood Brothers. Saw it with the Cassidy brothers

The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee was one that had me laughing the entire show.

LOL! I saw it with the Cassidy brothers as well. I had front row and was in heaven because it was like finally seeing my 3rd grade crush Shaun in concert.

And I loved 25th Annual as well.

LoraJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:23 PM   #60
Denise W
Boardwalk DVC Member

We saw Donny Osmond as Joseph in Boston. It was probably the best single performance we have ever seen live, and we have seen A LOT of musicals.

We also saw 2 other tours of Joseph, one with Sam Adams and one with Patrick Cassidy. The narrator in the Patrick Cassidy produciton was Amy Adams (the one from American Idol, not from Enchanted). She was fantastic.

Spring Awakening is on tour, we will see it this srping.

Whem we saw Starlight Express, there were ramps built out from the stage through the audience, sort of a huge figure 8. It was a very fun show at the time. I don't care for how it was changed in the last few years.

This spring we have tickets to see 9-5 and South Pacific when we go to NYC for the weekend.

Denise
Denise W is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: