Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-26-2009, 11:09 AM   #436
AmandaSparks730
All shall know the wonder of purple summerHow do you document real life, when real life is getting more like fiction each day?Glitter-Sparkle Powah!
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Germany, the year 1891/Wanting to see SA again
Posts: 36,997

Quote:
Originally Posted by troobabiee7 View Post
Have a great time, you're gonna LOVE it!

I'm just confused... aren't you seeing it in Providence? I thought we were on the same time zone but it's only 10AM here
Yes, LOL. I ment to say, the theater is 10 minutes away!
AmandaSparks730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:24 AM   #437
troobabiee7
The core of man's spirit comes from new experiences
 
troobabiee7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,322

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaSparks730 View Post
Yes, LOL. I ment to say, the theater is 10 minutes away!
Ohhhh

I'm so jealous, you're gonna LOVE the show!
troobabiee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-26-2009, 05:22 PM   #438
AmandaSparks730
All shall know the wonder of purple summerHow do you document real life, when real life is getting more like fiction each day?Glitter-Sparkle Powah!
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Germany, the year 1891/Wanting to see SA again
Posts: 36,997

Quote:
Originally Posted by troobabiee7 View Post
Ohhhh

I'm so jealous, you're gonna LOVE the show!
I did!

Blake Bashoff: AMAZING. He was so, so cute. Not to mention a great singer and actor. (Mom referred to him as "The Boy Who Failed". You heard it here first. Moritz = Boy Who Failed.) He was really into character, spitting everywhere and doing the cutest happy dance!

Kyle Riabko: Pretty good. Toss-up between him and John Groff.

Christy Altomare: I loved her portayal of Wendla, as more of a headstrong girl.

Ben Moss: TOTAL cutie. I about fainted when I saw him onstage :

Anthony Lee Medina: Again, a cutie. He looked at me while singing a few times

Matt Shingledecker: Hilarious with the Adult Women as Georg!

Andy Mientus: Great as Hanschen; the good mix of creepy, lecherous, and seductive.

Claire Sparks: Was on for Thea today! She was decent, as Thea-s go.

Krystina Alabado: Couldn't see her, but she was on stage left.

Perry Sherman: Was on the same side as Krystina.

Lucas Wells: So cute. Was on stage right.

Julie Benko: On stage right with Lucas.

Chase Davidson: Wasn't on today

Gabby Garza: Pretty good as Anna (though Anna is a small part).

Sarah Hunt: Great as Martha.

Steffi D: Liked her as Ilse. Nothing can really beat Lauren, Emma, or Phoebe, but her Blue Wind was especially good.

Henry Stram: Good as the Adult Men.

Angela Reed: Great as the Adult Women. (Especially in My Junk)

The singing was all phenominal, the acting just as good. Loved Song of Purple Summer, Totally...F-d (ha), (Beep) Of Living, and Don't Do Sadness/Blue Wind.

All in all, GREAT show. I highly recommend it (and I wanna go back!)
AmandaSparks730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:27 PM   #439
rn4val
A Dream is a Wish your Heart Makes
 
rn4val's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 442

just got back from watching the Lion King traveling Broadway show. It was amazing.
Debbie
__________________
1993 Dixie Landings
1995 Caribbean Beach
1997 Caribbean Beach
2008 AKV
2011 OKW
rn4val is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:34 PM   #440
troobabiee7
The core of man's spirit comes from new experiences
 
troobabiee7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,322

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaSparks730 View Post
I did!

Blake Bashoff: AMAZING. He was so, so cute. Not to mention a great singer and actor. (Mom referred to him as "The Boy Who Failed". You heard it here first. Moritz = Boy Who Failed.) He was really into character, spitting everywhere and doing the cutest happy dance!

Kyle Riabko: Pretty good. Toss-up between him and John Groff.

Christy Altomare: I loved her portayal of Wendla, as more of a headstrong girl.

Ben Moss: TOTAL cutie. I about fainted when I saw him onstage :

Anthony Lee Medina: Again, a cutie. He looked at me while singing a few times

Matt Shingledecker: Hilarious with the Adult Women as Georg!

Andy Mientus: Great as Hanschen; the good mix of creepy, lecherous, and seductive.

Claire Sparks: Was on for Thea today! She was decent, as Thea-s go.

Krystina Alabado: Couldn't see her, but she was on stage left.

Perry Sherman: Was on the same side as Krystina.

Lucas Wells: So cute. Was on stage right.

Julie Benko: On stage right with Lucas.

Chase Davidson: Wasn't on today

Gabby Garza: Pretty good as Anna (though Anna is a small part).

Sarah Hunt: Great as Martha.

Steffi D: Liked her as Ilse. Nothing can really beat Lauren, Emma, or Phoebe, but her Blue Wind was especially good.

Henry Stram: Good as the Adult Men.

Angela Reed: Great as the Adult Women. (Especially in My Junk)

The singing was all phenominal, the acting just as good. Loved Song of Purple Summer, Totally...F-d (ha), (Beep) Of Living, and Don't Do Sadness/Blue Wind.

All in all, GREAT show. I highly recommend it (and I wanna go back!)
I'm so glad you liked it!!! Blake was one of my favorites too! Moritz is my favorite character though, so I've loved all three actors. Kyle was good but I liked Hunter Parrish better. He has a nice voice though! Wasn't the lighting during Dark I Know Well reaalllyyyy cool? And that one part of "Those You've Known" I told you about... where Melchior sings acapella to just the beating of the drums I miss that show so much! We should meet halfway in Boston and go see it again

I'm glad you had a good time!
troobabiee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:10 PM   #441
AmandaSparks730
All shall know the wonder of purple summerHow do you document real life, when real life is getting more like fiction each day?Glitter-Sparkle Powah!
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Germany, the year 1891/Wanting to see SA again
Posts: 36,997

Quote:
Originally Posted by troobabiee7 View Post
I'm so glad you liked it!!! Blake was one of my favorites too! Moritz is my favorite character though, so I've loved all three actors. Kyle was good but I liked Hunter Parrish better. He has a nice voice though! Wasn't the lighting during Dark I Know Well reaalllyyyy cool? And that one part of "Those You've Known" I told you about... where Melchior sings acapella to just the beating of the drums I miss that show so much! We should meet halfway in Boston and go see it again

I'm glad you had a good time!
Thanks!

I know, I want to see it again, too! They kept coming to our side of the stage, practically in FRONT of me! (We were sitting orchestra right, second row back!) They were probably like "did you see the crazy smiling girl in the second row?" Moritz and Ilse are my favorite characters, with Ernst being a close follower (he's just too dang cute!). It makes you think, "what if he had gone with Ilse? Would he have lived? Would they have become a couple? Would she have helped him?" I love how she shows that she truly does care about him, and the extreme guilt she feels (during Left Behind) because she was the last to see him alive, and she could've done something.

Haven't heard much of Hunter Parrish, though I've heard he wasn't the best Melchior (and that Alexandra Socha was terrible as Wendla).

Lighting during Dark I Know Well, YES! The bruise looks so real, too (though I saw a video on Steffi D's YouTube where Sarah shows how it's made. Pretty cool!)

Those You've Known, eh. The drums were much better in Mama Who Bore Me (reprise). Love the microphone exchange between Anna and Wendla--so intense!

Moritz's happy dance has to be the cutest thing. Love when he says "this is what Heaven must feel like!" and hugs Melchior. I felt so bad when he kills himself! (I was like "no Blake! Don't do it! Go with Ilse! Don't die!" Wanted to leap onstage and hug him...teehee)
AmandaSparks730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:28 PM   #442
Syrreal
DIS Veteran
I just prefer having my air with me.
 
Syrreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,509

I'm going to watch SA twice in June. I'm watching it onstage with some friends and then watching it from the front row with DH (maybe, unless he decides he doesn't want to go) a couple of days later.
__________________
You should totally check out my blog SYRREALCHRONICLES
Syrreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:32 PM   #443
AmandaSparks730
All shall know the wonder of purple summerHow do you document real life, when real life is getting more like fiction each day?Glitter-Sparkle Powah!
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Germany, the year 1891/Wanting to see SA again
Posts: 36,997

Lucky! Have fun; it's an amazing show with a great cast!
AmandaSparks730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:34 PM   #444
AllisonK
Be Marvelous!!!
 
AllisonK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 467

Seeing Wicked on Wednesday in NYC. I got cheap tickets through a club on campus. I've seen it before - hoping it's just as good. I'm hoping to see the Rent tour in Boston this summer (my friend's friend is in the show - I saw it once on Broadway back in middle school) and definitely seeing Pirates! in Boston, which is an updated version of Pirates of Penzance. I'm also hoping to go see something else on Saturday, but I'm not sure what, yet.
__________________
My Trips:

4/93 - Caribbean Beach Resort ~ 4/96 - Dixie Landings ~ 11/98 - MK Only ~ 4/00 - Port Orleans French Quarter ~ 1/09 - Port Orleans Riverside ~ 1/12 - Pop Century
AllisonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:48 PM   #445
troobabiee7
The core of man's spirit comes from new experiences
 
troobabiee7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,322

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaSparks730 View Post
Thanks!

I know, I want to see it again, too! They kept coming to our side of the stage, practically in FRONT of me! (We were sitting orchestra right, second row back!) They were probably like "did you see the crazy smiling girl in the second row?" Moritz and Ilse are my favorite characters, with Ernst being a close follower (he's just too dang cute!). It makes you think, "what if he had gone with Ilse? Would he have lived? Would they have become a couple? Would she have helped him?" I love how she shows that she truly does care about him, and the extreme guilt she feels (during Left Behind) because she was the last to see him alive, and she could've done something.

Haven't heard much of Hunter Parrish, though I've heard he wasn't the best Melchior (and that Alexandra Socha was terrible as Wendla).

Lighting during Dark I Know Well, YES! The bruise looks so real, too (though I saw a video on Steffi D's YouTube where Sarah shows how it's made. Pretty cool!)

Those You've Known, eh. The drums were much better in Mama Who Bore Me (reprise). Love the microphone exchange between Anna and Wendla--so intense!

Moritz's happy dance has to be the cutest thing. Love when he says "this is what Heaven must feel like!" and hugs Melchior. I felt so bad when he kills himself! (I was like "no Blake! Don't do it! Go with Ilse! Don't die!" Wanted to leap onstage and hug him...teehee)
Love the review! I actually LOVED Hunter Parrish and thought he was better than Kyle (you can't beat JGroff). His portrayal during the graveyard scene was BRILLIANT. Everyone else screamed a million times to the point where it was ridiculous and people actually laughed all over the theater. Hunter just looked really confused when he found Wendla's grave and let out one agonizing wail. It was heartbreaking.

Did anyone laugh during the beating scene?!! The first time I saw the show was from the first row and I was so engrossed in it all I didn't pay attention to what was going on. The second time we had box seats and a better view out over the audience, and people CRACKED UP during the beating scene. Half the audience laughed when Moritz and Wendla rose from the grave too They needed to rework those scenes to make them more dramatic and less ridiculous, so I was wondering what they did for the tour.
troobabiee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:33 PM   #446
AmandaSparks730
All shall know the wonder of purple summerHow do you document real life, when real life is getting more like fiction each day?Glitter-Sparkle Powah!
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Germany, the year 1891/Wanting to see SA again
Posts: 36,997

Quote:
Originally Posted by troobabiee7 View Post
Love the review! I actually LOVED Hunter Parrish and thought he was better than Kyle (you can't beat JGroff). His portrayal during the graveyard scene was BRILLIANT. Everyone else screamed a million times to the point where it was ridiculous and people actually laughed all over the theater. Hunter just looked really confused when he found Wendla's grave and let out one agonizing wail. It was heartbreaking.

Did anyone laugh during the beating scene?!! The first time I saw the show was from the first row and I was so engrossed in it all I didn't pay attention to what was going on. The second time we had box seats and a better view out over the audience, and people CRACKED UP during the beating scene. Half the audience laughed when Moritz and Wendla rose from the grave too They needed to rework those scenes to make them more dramatic and less ridiculous, so I was wondering what they did for the tour.
Ooh goodness, no! The entire theater was dead quiet. Christy dove right into it, very uninhibited (spelling?). She didn't play up to the fragileness of Wendla as much as Lea did, that's for sure. Kyle seemed to have grown in the role (though mom said he was "too pretty boy" ) and Blake just OWNS his role.

How can you laugh during the beating scene though? That's like laughing at Left Behind, or Dark I Know Well!

(Though I must say, Word Of Your Body (reprise) is quite the comic relief!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonK View Post
Seeing Wicked on Wednesday in NYC. I got cheap tickets through a club on campus. I've seen it before - hoping it's just as good. I'm hoping to see the Rent tour in Boston this summer (my friend's friend is in the show - I saw it once on Broadway back in middle school) and definitely seeing Pirates! in Boston, which is an updated version of Pirates of Penzance. I'm also hoping to go see something else on Saturday, but I'm not sure what, yet.
I might see Rent in Boston as well! A friend might get me tickets for my birthday

Two words: Anthony. Rapp.
AmandaSparks730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:50 PM   #447
LoraJ

I need a vacation!
Wanted to bid on Bare Naked Ladies?!?! The Tag Fairy is Shocked!
 
LoraJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NJ
Posts: 10,261

I liked Alexandra as Wendlla. I thought she was good. She was no Lea though. Really looking forward to Glee!!!

So I will be seeing Hair on Thursday and In The Heights on Friday.
__________________
1976 - Contemporary ~*~ 3/90 - Offsite ~*~ 5/91 - Offsite ~*~ 12/97 - Offsite ~*~ 9/98 - Disneyland ~*~ 8/99 - Disneyland ~*~
9/01 - All-Star Music ~*~ 9/04 - Caribbean Beach ~*~ 4/05 - Coronado Springs ~*~ 10/06 Wilderness Lodge ~*~ 10/08 Beach Club Villas ~*~ 9/09 Yacht Club ~*~ 11/11 Beach Club


LoraJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:20 PM   #448
AmandaSparks730
All shall know the wonder of purple summerHow do you document real life, when real life is getting more like fiction each day?Glitter-Sparkle Powah!
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Germany, the year 1891/Wanting to see SA again
Posts: 36,997

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoraJ View Post
I liked Alexandra as Wendlla. I thought she was good. She was no Lea though. Really looking forward to Glee!!!

So I will be seeing Hair on Thursday and In The Heights on Friday.
In The Heights sounds really good! You'll have to let us know how it is
AmandaSparks730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:15 PM   #449
troobabiee7
The core of man's spirit comes from new experiences
 
troobabiee7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,322

[QUOTE=AmandaSparks730;31551172] How can you laugh during the beating scene though? That's like laughing at Left Behind, or Dark I Know Well! QUOTE]

The way Alexandra did it made the whole thing seem really ridiculous. That whole scene was never staged right, I've read a lot of reviews where people said there was a lot of laughter at that part. I mean it is ridiculous that this 14-year-old girl is asking some random dude to beat her for fun And the way Alexandra played the whole scene made it like, "Haha, she's CRAZY!"
troobabiee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:30 PM   #450
AmandaSparks730
All shall know the wonder of purple summerHow do you document real life, when real life is getting more like fiction each day?Glitter-Sparkle Powah!
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Germany, the year 1891/Wanting to see SA again
Posts: 36,997

[QUOTE=troobabiee7;31552873]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaSparks730 View Post
How can you laugh during the beating scene though? That's like laughing at Left Behind, or Dark I Know Well! QUOTE]

The way Alexandra did it made the whole thing seem really ridiculous. That whole scene was never staged right, I've read a lot of reviews where people said there was a lot of laughter at that part. I mean it is ridiculous that this 14-year-old girl is asking some random dude to beat her for fun And the way Alexandra played the whole scene made it like, "Haha, she's CRAZY!"
See, that's why Alexandra is my least favorite Wendla, by far.

Christy...I don't know how to explain her portrayal. She's so headstrong as Wendla, so curious, and such a strong person that when her fate is delivered, it's all the more tragic. Her beating scene with Kyle was sad, but not in the least bit funny. She was basically saying, "my friend is beaten, I feel awful, and I'm curious. How does it feel, to be empty inside? To be hurt by someone you thought loved you?" She didn't over-do it on the sobbing when he throws her down (unlike Lea, where you could barely hear the boys do their backup "oh, you're gonna be wounded..."). She was hurt, and she showed it, but she didn't go over-the-top. Still, I see what you mean by the staging. It does happen in the original play, yes, but the way Wendekin (spelling?) wrote it made it work. (Though I wouldn't say Melchior was exactly a random guy. They were childhood friends, as is stated in the dialouge before Ilse sings Blue Wind ["remember how we used to run back to my house and play pirates? Wendla Bergman, Melchior Gabor, you, and I?], and when Melchior and Wendla chat about when they used to go to Sunday School together)

However, I have not heard any reviews of laughter at the tour cast's beating scene.
AmandaSparks730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: