Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2009, 11:54 AM   #331
Oh, Kay!
DIS Veteran

Has anyone seen West Side Story yet? Surprisingly, the reviews have been mixed given that the pre-opening buzz was very strong. DSis is taking me to see it this weekend and I hope we won't be disappointed.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:20 PM   #332
dzee
No Blue Cars!!

Anyone seen Dirty Dancing yet? Going this weekend with my daughters dance company here in Boston! Wondering if there are any reviews any one wants to share??!!!
Some of the parents of the dancers in the dance company are also going to see Jersey Boys in September,just the parents though because the girls have no clue who the Jersey Boys are so there were no takers!! Has any one seen this one? Wondering if any one had any thoughts on this one too!!??!!
Thanks in advance!!
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2009, 12:25 PM   #333
The LK 4
Don't make me get out my spoon!
Now you know why I don't have time to clean my house!
Bananas just aren't appealing today
Proud owner of a Bunco Butt with dice bloomers

Jersey Boys is outstanding! It's one of my top favorites.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:15 PM   #334
MsAmerica
DIS Veteran

We spent a few days in NYC last week and saw "Guys and Dolls", "Wicked" and "Jersey Boys".

Guys and Dolls was very disappointing and we had seats in the first row, dead center, which was nice but there was no leg room at all. Personally, I thought Oliver Platt was terrible and very uncomfortable onstage. Lauren Graham wasn't that great either, imo, and played Adelaide like she had tourette's syndrome. The best two in the show were supporting players, Titus Burgess and Mary Testa, both Broadway seasoned veterans.

Wicked was Great! As always! It was our second time seeing it on Broadway and I cried, yet again.

Jersey Boys was also great. Jerrod Spector was fantastic as Frankie Valli. I wasn't sure if my 19 yo college daughter would like it or not because she isn't that familiar with the music but it was her favorite show out of the three.

As a side note, we were talking to the people sitting beside us during intermission at G&D's who saw WSS the week before (they live in Queens) and they said it was fantastic.

I am hoping we will get down to the city during the summer, I have to see Billy Elliott!

MsA
MsAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:49 PM   #335
MissMet
DVC Member, former NY Mets Season Tkt Holder & Blogging Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAmerica View Post
We spent a few days in NYC last week and saw "Guys and Dolls", "Wicked" and "Jersey Boys".

Guys and Dolls was very disappointing and we had seats in the first row, dead center, which was nice but there was no leg room at all. Personally, I thought Oliver Platt was terrible and very uncomfortable onstage. Lauren Graham wasn't that great either, imo, and played Adelaide like she had tourette's syndrome. The best two in the show were supporting players, Titus Burgess and Mary Testa, both Broadway seasoned veterans.

Wicked was Great! As always! It was our second time seeing it on Broadway and I cried, yet again.

Jersey Boys was also great. Jerrod Spector was fantastic as Frankie Valli. I wasn't sure if my 19 yo college daughter would like it or not because she isn't that familiar with the music but it was her favorite show out of the three.

As a side note, we were talking to the people sitting beside us during intermission at G&D's who saw WSS the week before (they live in Queens) and they said it was fantastic.

I am hoping we will get down to the city during the summer, I have to see Billy Elliott!

MsA
I just saw Guys & Dolls on Wednesday & loved it! I thought Oliver Platt was great. I felt he played Nathan Detroit truer to the original, unlike Sinatra in the movie. Although, I've always had a soft spot for Platt. I enjoyed him most when he was off to the side...he was hysterical!

I agree Mary Testa was great...I think she stole the show & she had probably the smallest role.

I was also disappointed with my seats, we were first row, center mezz & I have never had such an issue with the safety rail in front of us before. I spent the whole show ducking under & over trying to see. It was horrible! Most scenes the rail was blocking their faces. I'm only 5'2" so that probably didn't help, but it was really bad. I'd write a complaint but I don't think it would get me anywhere.

I'm so excited to hear Wicked hasn't lost it's spark, I'm going to see it again next week. I'm really excited! I could see that show once a week and not get sick of it.

MissMet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:56 PM   #336
AmandaSparks730
All shall know the wonder of purple summerHow do you document real life, when real life is getting more like fiction each day?Glitter-Sparkle Powah!

I'm wearing my Wicked sweatshirt as I type =)

I'm seeing Spring Awakening in 31 days! Has anyone seen it (tour cast or b'way)? Any thoughts?

This cast (tour) looks absoultely amazing! I can't wait!
AmandaSparks730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:01 PM   #337
NEVERENOUGHWDW
Still Missing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Dance like nobody is watching!
If there was an Olympic event I'm sure I would leave with the "gold" poop medal

Location: Doesn't matter, my mind & body are usually in 2 different places...

Have tickets for Hair & West Side Story!!!!

Love Broadway!

What people think of you is none of your business.
NEVERENOUGHWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:54 PM   #338
AmandaSparks730
All shall know the wonder of purple summerHow do you document real life, when real life is getting more like fiction each day?Glitter-Sparkle Powah!

Only 23 days left!

Old 04-02-2009, 08:26 PM   #339
sharonW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The LK 4 View Post
Jersey Boys is outstanding! It's one of my top favorites.
I second that!! JB is the story of Frankie Valli and the
four seasons(from the 60's). It is my top favorite,
gona see it again later this month!!
sharonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:29 PM   #340
AmandaSparks730

I'm thinking of getting the soundtrack from The Color Purple. Has anyone seen it/heard it?

My U.S. History teacher is trying to get us a decent group rate for when the tour comes here late May! We're reading the book in class, followed by watching the movie, so the musical would be a nice, final thing for us to do
Old 04-02-2009, 08:31 PM   #341
elgerber
Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet & see a movie alone
Likes to grill year round

OK, so I've never seen a show actually on Broadway, but I did get to see Rent over the weekend with Adam Pascal and Anthony Rapp. Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was amazing!!!
Old 04-02-2009, 08:33 PM   #342
The LK 4
Don't make me get out my spoon!
Now you know why I don't have time to clean my house!
Bananas just aren't appealing today
Proud owner of a Bunco Butt with dice bloomers

I'm going to see Rent in two weeks when it comes to Pittsburgh. I'm really excited about seeing Anthony Rapp and Adam Pascal! Glad to hear you loved it!!
Old 04-02-2009, 08:36 PM   #343
PK Disney Dork
Friends! Help! A guinea pig tricked me!

I haven't been to see anything in NYC in years...I miss it!

My current theatrical obsession is the rock opera Chess!!! It's a crazy entertaining score and NOBODY ever does it! I'm trying to convince the theatre company I work for to do it next season and it's a tough sell.

Oh and The Producers...love The Producers!

PK Disney Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:36 PM   #344
PK Disney Dork
Friends! Help! A guinea pig tricked me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The LK 4 View Post
I'm going to see Rent in two weeks when it comes to Pittsburgh. I'm really excited about seeing Anthony Rapp and Adam Pascal! Glad to hear you loved it!!
I can't believe they're touring with the show now!

PK Disney Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:39 PM   #345
AmandaSparks730

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgerber View Post
OK, so I've never seen a show actually on Broadway, but I did get to see Rent over the weekend with Adam Pascal and Anthony Rapp. Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was amazing!!!
OMG! How lucky!

Anthony Rapp is one of my favorite Broadway actors of all time. (In fact, I'm listening to the You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown 1999 revival cast now!)

I'd love to see them when they come to Boston, but I'm seeing the Jonas Brothers instead

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: