Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2009, 03:11 PM   #196
JenM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
We're going to see if we can get In The Heights for Friday night!!! We don't get into the city until about 4:30, so hopefully, tkts will have some for that show. Dd's friend is going down to the SoHo area for a haircut..rather than tag along, I figured dd and I could see something. She is begging for In The Heights. How funny.
I'm thrilled to hear such good reports about Alex. She was a great kid. She was always so pleasant to have around..not a pain like so many of the other girls. Her mom played Grace in our last production of Annie. Mom then went on to play Dolly the next year.
Here's hoping she can go on to other great stuff.
So...let's see...hopefully Into The Heights tomorrow night, Wicked on Sat afternoon, and not sure what on Sat night.....whatever tkts has for us...always fun.
Cool! In the Heights also has a lottery. I have no idea how it works, but there was a crowd of people waiting for it in the box office when I picked up the tickets last week. Might be a good option if TKTS doesn't have it.

Alex was terrific. I first saw the show with the original Wendla, Lea Michele, who was also very good, but I know they made some changes when the show moved from Off-B'way to B'way, and I think Lea brought a lot of the Off-Bway version of the character to her performance. Alex seemed like a much different take on the character. And her version of "Whispering" was beautiful.
JenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:15 PM   #197
JenM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy1961 View Post
Me too. I did enjoy parts of the show, especially "Super.......". But the scene with the kids & the toys just seemed so scary, and the stuff with the father's old nanny was nasty. I know it's closer to the books, but I adore that movie. I felt let down a bit by the play.
And I heard the scene with the evil toys was actually toned down from the London production. I've read the cast didn't like it much either. The consensus was that the scene should be cut, but Cameron Mackintosh was a fan, so the scene stayed.

Parts of the show were great, and I definitely enjoyed it (especially "Super..."), but I'll take the movie over the show any day.
JenM is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2009, 03:16 PM   #198
Linzybrooke
DIS Veteran

Can I just say that I love this thread! And I live a bit vicariously through those of you who are close enough to get to Broadway regularly. The only show I have actually seen on Broadway was Phantom, and I actually wasn't a huge fan.

When I grew up in Minneapolis we went to the theatre all the time, they have great playhouses up there, and incredible enrichment opportunities with touring houses and local theatres like The Guthrie and Theatre de la June Lune (which I know I spelled wrong). There is not nearly the same kind of theatre culture in Dallas, and the playhouse here is horrible! But, they are building a new one so I'm hoping for a change!

I am so jealous of those of you that have been able to see Spring Awakening!
Linzybrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:22 PM   #199
Missy1961
Knows who did it and why
Fell for it on 17th birthday
Can't travel in old underwear and socks!
Stop eating with food in your mouths!

Maybe we need a Dis meet at a Broadway show!
Kate: The moment that I met you, my life became extraordinary. You taught me to be my best self, to look forward to tomorrow’s adventures. And when I was vulnerable, you were strong. I love you Richard Castle and I want to live my life in the warmth of your smile and the strength of your embrace. I promise you that I will love you, be your friend, and your partner in crime and in life. Always.

Rick: The moment we met, my life became extraordinary. You taught me more about myself than I knew there was to learn. You are the joy in my heart. You’re the last person I want to see every night when I close my eyes. I love you Katherine Beckett. And the mystery of you is the one I want to spend the rest of my life exploring. I promise to love you, to be your friend and your partner in crime and in life. Till death do us part, for the time of our lives.

Kate: This has been an epic year, Life's been full of joy & tears. Solving crimes & catching killers, Just like Castle's favorite thrillers. We share a passion every day, As partners go, we're here to stay
Missy1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:21 PM   #200
CapeCodTenor
Born on a small planet around Alpha Centauri and immigrated to Roswell, N.M. in 1947 with my parents.
Was a man last time I checked
I can fart with my back

Quote:
Do I win a prize? Nope, you walk away knowing that you won got a trivia question right. Lame, I know, but that's all I had. Ooo, how about this:

Thanks for this thread, I love having a positive thread to come to on a dreary day. And it's making the CB a nicer place! I'm glad you like it. Let's keep it going.
See above in red for my response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linzybrooke View Post
Can I just say that I love this thread! And I live a bit vicariously through those of you who are close enough to get to Broadway regularly. The only show I have actually seen on Broadway was Phantom, and I actually wasn't a huge fan.

When I grew up in Minneapolis we went to the theatre all the time, they have great playhouses up there, and incredible enrichment opportunities with touring houses and local theatres like The Guthrie and Theatre de la June Lune (which I know I spelled wrong). There is not nearly the same kind of theatre culture in Dallas, and the playhouse here is horrible! But, they are building a new one so I'm hoping for a change!

I am so jealous of those of you that have been able to see Spring Awakening!
I'm glad you like it. And as I said above, let's keep this thread going. We all like theater, so this can be a place where we can all meet and talk about it.

Quote:
Maybe we need a Dis meet at a Broadway show!
That would be cool. Wanna plan it?
Old 01-28-2009, 04:21 PM   #201
sharonW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks Jen! I figured it was something like that!
Can you let me in on the transformation
secret?? I'm dying to know!!
sharonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:25 PM   #202
Zip-A-Dee-Lady
True Ukrainian Dancer

In response to Avenue Q closing, only the US tour and west end are closing. West End is closing in March and the tour is closing in May.

There are no plans yet to close it on Broadway.
Zip-A-Dee-Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:34 PM   #203
AmandaSparks730
All shall know the wonder of purple summerHow do you document real life, when real life is getting more like fiction each day?Glitter-Sparkle Powah!

I've seen:

Beauty and the Beast (3 times)
The Lion King (gorgeous!)
Wicked (2 times)
Dr. Dolittle (with Tommy Tune)
Peter Pan (Cathy Rigby's farwell tour)
The Phantom of the Opera (so beautiful)
Rent (I cried!)
Legally Blonde (National tour--opened here)
Mamma Mia! (pretty good)
Chicago! (front row!)
Oliver! (I was pretty young, so I didn't really "get" it)
Cats (strange...very strange...but good!)

As my ticker says, I'm seeing the Spring Awakening tour in April! I absoultely cannot wait. I also hope to (one day) see Avenue Q. I deeply regret that I could not see Hairspray before it closed. I must say my favorite is Wicked (in terms of staging, music, and costumes). That may change when I see Spring Awakening, though! I also adore Rent. (Anthony Rapp is my favorite actor!)
AmandaSparks730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:24 PM   #204
tiggger1
I put vicks on my feet
It really cleans my floors and makes them softer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodTenor View Post

I've seen Betty Buckley in Sunset Blvd, that was cool. .
I got to perform on stage with Betty Buckley My director( director, voice teacher,family friend) knows Betty and asked her to come down and do a concert in Southeastern MA a few years ago. She did a master class and a concert and we got to since on stage with her! She was so nice. She signed autographed and stayed until everyone got one.

We also had Shirley Jones come and perform when we did Music Man. She was in her trailer and snuck inside to listen. Someone pulled the fire alarm and we had to stop the show. After they let us all back in, she came out and said hi and watched another 15 minutes of the show...

I have pictures of both if anyone is interested....
Old 01-28-2009, 08:26 PM   #205
tiggger1
I put vicks on my feet
It really cleans my floors and makes them softer!

BTW HI dklam I Knew al was here but I didnt know you were too....Its a small word....its Danielle from H2H!
Old 01-29-2009, 12:30 AM   #206
Karamia
Mouseketeer

We truly enjoyed Lion King! Especially the second act! Pure Disney, great voices!
Karamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:59 AM   #207
sharonW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamia View Post
We truly enjoyed Lion King! Especially the second act! Pure Disney, great voices!
Glad you enjoyed LK! Can't wait till sunday!
Whatever would we do without that Disney
magic!
sharonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:22 AM   #208
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM View Post
Cool! In the Heights also has a lottery. I have no idea how it works, but there was a crowd of people waiting for it in the box office when I picked up the tickets last week. Might be a good option if TKTS doesn't have it.

Alex was terrific. I first saw the show with the original Wendla, Lea Michele, who was also very good, but I know they made some changes when the show moved from Off-B'way to B'way, and I think Lea brought a lot of the Off-Bway version of the character to her performance. Alex seemed like a much different take on the character. And her version of "Whispering" was beautiful.
Yep, we're going to try the lottery, also student rush for the ones dd can get two tickets with one ID. I'm sure we'll see something.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:23 AM   #209
DISshopkeeper
Had 3 topplings over the years
I'm always on the lookout for Goofy stuff for the DISshop!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM View Post
And I heard the scene with the evil toys was actually toned down from the London production. I've read the cast didn't like it much either. The consensus was that the scene should be cut, but Cameron Mackintosh was a fan, so the scene stayed.

Parts of the show were great, and I definitely enjoyed it (especially "Super..."), but I'll take the movie over the show any day.
I loved MP on B-way (saw it twice in 8 weeks). And the movie is consistently in my top ten movie list! I'm glad they didn't cut that scene, I liked it and really enjoy "Temper Temper."
DISshopkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:41 AM   #210
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Loved Spamalot. Hilarious!!!!
Thought Legally Blonde was cute...I did enjoy it.
Thought the staging at The Little Mermaid was ingenious.

As far as "classics": Hello Dolly and My Fair Lady.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: