Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 09:34 PM   #1771
JenM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juney View Post
That's the case with everything except Wicked, Lion King and BOM.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Except that Spiderman reportedly cost $75 million to produce, more than any other Broadway show in history. Between that and its weekly running costs, it's unlikely to make that money back and eventually close at a loss, since it relies so heavily on discounts.
JenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #1772
Juney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM

Except that Spiderman reportedly cost $75 million to produce, more than any other Broadway show in history. Between that and its weekly running costs, it's unlikely to make that money back and eventually close at a loss, since it relies so heavily on discounts.
Not sure how that is applicable to my comment. Jim stated that Spiderman has 80-95% attendance because of deeply discounted tickets. I said that's the case with all of the Bway shows except the big 3. Even Once and Peter (who won the two big Tonys this year) are at TKTS at 50% discount almost everyday. Same with Annie which hasn't even been open a month.

December '09 Disney Western Caribbean 7 Day, Magic
December '10 Walt Disney World, Polynesian
December '11 Disney Mexican Riviera, Wonder
December '12 Disney Eastern Caribbean 7 day, Fantasy

December '13 Disney Western Caribbean 7 day, Fantasy
Juney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-08-2012, 11:09 PM   #1773
JenM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Not sure how that is applicable to my comment. Jim stated that Spiderman has 80-95% attendance because of deeply discounted tickets. I said that's the case with all of the Bway shows except the big 3. Even Once and Peter (who won the two big Tonys this year) are at TKTS at 50% discount almost everyday. Same with Annie which hasn't even been open a month.

You only pulled the part of Jim's post about the attendance figures. His entire post was about whether or not Spiderman will ever make a profit, and that based on how it's getting those attendance levels (on discounts) that it most likely won't.

Spiderman's case, as far as making it's money back, isn't like all Broadway shows. It's the most expensive Broadway show of all time ($75 million!), and most likely has very high weekly running costs due to all of the hi-tech sets and stunt work (and probably insurance costs, considering all of the actors they've nearly killed so far). It's playing in a huge theater that they can't fill without relying on discounts, and as Jim pointed out in his post, this show needs to play at capacity for a few years before it can even break even.

Other shows can get by with discounted tickets because their budgets are much smaller. But Spiderman cost a fortune, it's going to be a long time before it ever becomes profitable.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:29 PM   #1774
Juney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM

You only pulled the part of Jim's post about the attendance figures. His entire post was about whether or not Spiderman will ever make a profit, and that based on how it's getting those attendance levels (on discounts) that it most likely won't.

Spiderman's case, as far as making it's money back, isn't like all Broadway shows. It's the most expensive Broadway show of all time ($75 million!), and most likely has very high weekly running costs due to all of the hi-tech sets and stunt work (and probably insurance costs, considering all of the actors they've nearly killed so far). It's playing in a huge theater that they can't fill without relying on discounts, and as Jim pointed out in his post, this show needs to play at capacity for a few years before it can even break even.

Other shows can get by with discounted tickets because their budgets are much smaller. But Spiderman cost a fortune, it's going to be a long time before it ever becomes profitable.
I pulled it out because THAT is the part of the post I was commenting on. LOL. All shows are deeply discounted except the big 3. That's all. Perhaps that is more a statement on the lack of affordability in this economy. *shrug*. Fortunately for Spiderman, they are filling the seats. I worry about shows like Peter. GREAT show, but just not attractive at a full ticket price. Or Annie who went 50% at TKTS one week after the hard opening. (too bad. I love Katie Finneran and I believe the show might be gone before I can make it to see her. . )

And your language is that of an alarmist. No one was "nearly killed". There were 4 accidents with Chris being the most injured. Interestingly enough, he returned to the show in the exact same role as soon as he was cleared. Regardless of controversy, I'm sure if it's still running I'll take my daughter back for a 4th time the next time we are up there.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:27 AM   #1775
JenM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I pulled it out because THAT is the part of the post I was commenting on. LOL. All shows are deeply discounted except the big 3. That's all. Perhaps that is more a statement on the lack of affordability in this economy. *shrug*. Fortunately for Spiderman, they are filling the seats. I worry about shows like Peter. GREAT show, but just not attractive at a full ticket price. Or Annie who went 50% at TKTS one week after the hard opening. (too bad. I love Katie Finneran and I believe the show might be gone before I can make it to see her. . )

And your language is that of an alarmist. No one was "nearly killed". There were 4 accidents with Chris being the most injured. Interestingly enough, he returned to the show in the exact same role as soon as he was cleared. Regardless of controversy, I'm sure if it's still running I'll take my daughter back for a 4th time the next time we are up there.

Obviously, you love the Spiderman show, and that's great. I hated it, but to each his own. The fact is that it had a well-documented troubled production - very serious injuries, budget problems, technical problems, awful reviews (even the revamped version only received mixed reviews) Jim was mentioning how it's budget and the way it's selling means it will probably won't make it's money back. You pulled just one part of that quote while leaving out the entire point of his post.

Peter and the Starcatcher (which I agree was really great) is closing in January. Annie just officially opened last night, and is playing in the way-too-big Palace, so it's going to lean heavily on discounts, especially with the mixed reviews it got and that it was advertised terribly, but it should hold up well enough at least until Matilda opens next year.

Again, it's great that you're a Spiderman fan. This is a fun thread because there are fans of all the shows here.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:47 PM   #1776
crazymama
Mouseketeer

Just a reminder for all you Broadway lovers that the cast of Newsies will be on Dancing With The Stars tonight. I believe they are doing "Seize The Day!" Yahoo!!!!! That cast blows my mind with their dance!!
crazymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:53 PM   #1777
snapppyd

Is the daughter a member of the Dis?
Every day seems to be April Fool's Day on the Dis lately

Location: Donna Reedville, Reeking Lumstown, Older than Dirtboro, Only post the good ones, USA

Going to see Scandalous on Sunday. DH is a huge Carolee Carmelo fan, I got him 6th row center orchestra for our anniversary!

The tag fairy loves me

snapppyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #1778
Kimberle
WL Vet

I saw Evita today. We had tickets to the 10am Radio City Christmas show. When it was over at 11:30, we made a impulse decision to walk over to the TKS booth and see what's available. I haven't done this in over 20 years. *LOL* Boy, am I glad we did! We got FRONT row seats to Evita. I was so close, I could have touched Ricky Martin if I'd wanted. It was an amazing show. I told my dd that it's a crapshoot what you get. Sometimes they hold good seats until the last minute in case a VIP wants to see the show. Oh, and the Christmas show was great as well! We had 4th row seats, which I purchased last spring.
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level
Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #1779
AllisonK
Be Marvelous!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberle
I saw Evita today. We had tickets to the 10am Radio City Christmas show. When it was over at 11:30, we made a impulse decision to walk over to the TKS booth and see what's available. I haven't done this in over 20 years. *LOL* Boy, am I glad we did! We got FRONT row seats to Evita. I was so close, I could have touched Ricky Martin if I'd wanted. It was an amazing show. I told my dd that it's a crapshoot what you get. Sometimes they hold good seats until the last minute in case a VIP wants to see the show. Oh, and the Christmas show was great as well! We had 4th row seats, which I purchased last spring.
I was at Evita today, too! My friend was playing Eva today so I went to see her. I LOVED it!

I saw Annie last night with my mom and my friend and we all thought it was good. We loved Katie Finernan as Miss Hannigan!

4/93 - Caribbean Beach Resort ~ 4/96 - Dixie Landings ~ 11/98 - MK Only ~ 4/00 - Port Orleans French Quarter ~ 1/09 - Port Orleans Riverside ~ 1/12 - Pop Century
AllisonK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:56 PM   #1780
snapppyd

Location: Donna Reedville, Reeking Lumstown, Older than Dirtboro, Only post the good ones, USA

We saw "Scandalous" today, loved it! I mean LOVED it! Carolee Carmello gave the performance of a lifetime, she was absolutely shining!

Here is a pic of me and Kathie Lee Gifford, she was so nice and really beautiful in person!

(Brad Pitt was on the back of the Playbill, unfortunately)

The tag fairy loves me

Old 11-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #1781
krcit
DIS Veteran

So cool Snappy!!! I was wondering how it is. I hope it's a hit.. I actually like KLG

krcit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:20 PM   #1782
Juney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapppyd
We saw "Scandalous" today, loved it! I mean LOVED it! Carolee Carmello gave the performance of a lifetime, she was absolutely shining!

Here is a pic of me and Kathie Lee Gifford, she was so nice and really beautiful in person!

So glad. I'm dying to see this one. I saw Carolee in The Addams Family. ( yes, most unfortunate playbill cover.)

Old 11-19-2012, 06:10 AM   #1783
snapppyd

I've seen Carolee about 4 times in Mamma Mia, in the very short lived LeStat (pun intended!), Sister Act, and many years ago in The Scarlet Pimpernel.

By far this is the role of a lifetime for her - she is never off the stage, it's almost like a one woman play, even though she is surrounded by other actors. I don't know how she manages to maintain that level of excellence singing for 2 1/2 hours, she is a force of nature. In the first scene there is a flashback between the adult Aimee and the teenage Aimee. Just by changing her dress and letting down her hair Carolee becomes that teenager - what a wonderful actress. Her voice and body language transform her - I've seen her do that in LeStat and was amazed how good an actress she is.

The story was very interesting to me, I had never heard of Aimee Semple McPherson. Truly a woman ahead of her time. One criticism I heard from the couple behind us was that there is too much rhyming to the lyrics and you won't remember any particular song when you leave the theater. I don't care, I carry the performance with me.

I would see this again! We were lucky enough to be 4th row center orchestra - at times the actors come down in front of the stage - we could practically touch them - although I'm sure it would be a great experience from anywhere in the theater.

Kathie Lee Gifford was so nice, and very beautiful in person. One person I've met who is prettier in person than on television (she has amazing skin). She was so gracious to everyone who wanted an autograph or picture.

The tag fairy loves me

Old 11-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #1784
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapppyd View Post
I was at this!

How in the world Channel decided to use scruffy Brad to sell their No. 5 for men, I'll NEVER understand.

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #1785
keenercam
Wishes she were Mickey's girl
Would settle for looking like Tinkerbell instead of Winnie the Pooh

We saw NEWSIES on Saturday. It was even better this time around, and the new male lead is absolutely fabulous. His was a much more "emotional" performance than Jeremy Jordan and he didn't "force" the New York accent, so it was more enjoyable, as far as we were concerned. The show is so high energy and the dancing is exciting to watch.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: