Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #1726
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunmommy View Post
We're considering tacking on a trip to NYC either before or after a trip to Cooperstown DreamsPark with my son's 12yo baseball team summer of 2013, and a show (or three!) is on my list of must-sees. I have questions....lots of questions. Anyone care to help???

How early should I start looking to book tickets? I know about the last-minute discount kiosks which would be OK for our family of 4, but what if we need something for a larger group? Is there a single source I can use to see which shows will be playing, or is it better to research the individual theaters?

On a second note, what about attire? I'm trying to limit what we pack, but I want to be sure we're not dressed inappropriately. I can't imagine our ballpark attire (tshirts, athletic shorts, flipflops) would be OK - even at a mid-summer matinee.

Thanks so much! Disney is easy.....this is so much more complicated.
You can look at a general ticket site, but that far out, you may only really see the shows that have the budgets to be decently sure they'll be up. There aren't guarantees on B'way, but big-name, well-funded shows that have had a long run are the more solid bets.

No, that's really not ok attire, even though there are people who will probably show up in that type of thing or say anything goes. They're the outliers. You won't be kicked out of the theatre or anything, but ... you know, people wear tshirts and nylon shorts and flip flops in signature restaurants too, but...

People come in to go to the theatre, it's an event you know, it's not like the movies - clothing runs the gamut but most tend toward business casual and some go more dressed up, even for kid-show matinees. Actual pants and even polo shirts is fine for kids, something decent for adults. Doesn't have to be fancy or anything.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #1727
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:

How early should I start looking to book tickets? I know about the last-minute discount kiosks which would be OK for our family of 4, but what if we need something for a larger group? Is there a single source I can use to see which shows will be playing, or is it better to research the individual theaters?

On a second note, what about attire? I'm trying to limit what we pack, but I want to be sure we're not dressed inappropriately. I can't imagine our ballpark attire (tshirts, athletic shorts, flipflops) would be OK - even at a mid-summer matinee.

It depends what show you're going to see, but if you're booking for more than 4 people I would do it ASAP.

This is the link that you want to keep watching for upcoming shows.

The summer is sort of "whatever" in terms of attire, but no, I would not wear flip flops. Jeans or nice shorts and a t-shirt is fine.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #1728
cajunmommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
You can look at a general ticket site, but that far out, you may only really see the shows that have the budgets to be decently sure they'll be up. There aren't guarantees on B'way, but big-name, well-funded shows that have had a long run are the more solid bets.

No, that's really not ok attire, even though there are people who will probably show up in that type of thing or say anything goes. They're the outliers. You won't be kicked out of the theatre or anything, but ... you know, people wear tshirts and nylon shorts and flip flops in signature restaurants too, but...
So, should I start looking 3mos out, 6 mos out for tickets? Is there a general rule of thumb?

And the signature restaurants line....exactly what I was thinking!! Going to a show has always been treated as a special occasion, especially since NOLA & Baton Rouge see very limited runs, so we dress appropriately. We'll just have to make room in the luggage for "good" shoes!
cajunmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #1729
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
So, should I start looking 3mos out, 6 mos out for tickets? Is there a general rule of thumb?
Depends on the show. Book of Mormon you'd want to book NOW. Annie, maybe 6 months out. Some shows you can get great seats the day of!
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #1730
7165red
DIS Veteran

I went to see Jersey Boys here in Syracuse NY and it was a great production. The music was great, and I ordered my tickets back in May.
7165red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #1731
auntie
It's a really lovely way to spend the afternoon
THAT does sound good ;)
Everything I type sounds wierd today
I am the underwear fairy

Quote:
We're considering tacking on a trip to NYC either before or after a trip to Cooperstown DreamsPark with my son's 12yo baseball team summer of 2013, and a show (or three!) is on my list of must-sees. I have questions....lots of questions. Anyone care to help???

Regarding attire, I think it's gonna be a matter of opinion, and likely you will receive many of them. So, here goes mine. .
We saw Newsies in August (my 25 year old daughters favorite movie when she was girl). Most everyone was wearing jeans or NICE cargo type shorts with a golf/collared type shirt. A few dress shirts with sleeves rolled up, that sort of thing. It was August, and it was hot. Even the theatre was warm. I think I wore capris and a dressier sleeveless tank, with sandals. Saw plenty of sun dresses as well.
We had dinner downtown in Little Italy afterward and were appropriately dressed.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #1732
tweedlemom
DIS Veteran

Just got back from Newsies tonight and it was amazing! My DH, DS9, DS10 and I absolutely loved it! Totally recommend it!!!

tweedlemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #1733
Juney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen

Depends on the show. Book of Mormon you'd want to book NOW. Annie, maybe 6 months out. Some shows you can get great seats the day of!
Annie is at TKTS almost everyday at 50% off. This show isn't doing well.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
December '09 Disney Western Caribbean 7 Day, Magic
December '10 Walt Disney World, Polynesian
December '11 Disney Mexican Riviera, Wonder
December '12 Disney Eastern Caribbean 7 day, Fantasy

December '13 Disney Western Caribbean 7 day, Fantasy
Juney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #1734
Juney
Mouseketeer

I would absolutely go see Newsies, Once, and Peter and the Starcatcher. Oh, and Spiderman is absolutely thrilling. Peter and Spidey are frequently at TKTS. Newsies and Once are hit and miss at the booth.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #1735
TifffanyD
Agreeing and making sense are not the same thing
I need to reload

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juney
I would absolutely go see Newsies, Once, and Peter and the Starcatcher. Oh, and Spiderman is absolutely thrilling. Peter and Spidey are frequently at TKTS. Newsies and Once are hit and miss at the booth.

Spiderman is good?????
Old 11-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #1736
Juney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TifffanyD

Spiderman is good?????
I have seen it 3 times. Its like Bway meets Cirque. Very thrilling. Think about it.. even after all of the bad press, it has outlasted several of the 2011 award winners.

We have recommended it to many people and 100% of the have been pleased.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #1737
TifffanyD
Agreeing and making sense are not the same thing
I need to reload

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juney

I have seen it 3 times. Its like Bway meets Cirque. Very thrilling. Think about it.. even after all of the bad press, it has outlasted several of the 2011 award winners.

We have recommended it to many people and 100% of the have been pleased.
Interesting... I've only ever heard criticisms.

And I saw that song on the Tonys and it was baaaaad
Old 11-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #1738
Juney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TifffanyD

Interesting... I've only ever heard criticisms.

And I saw that song on the Tonys and it was baaaaad
Like I said, it has outlived Anything Goes, How to Succeed, Memphis, and Catch Me If You Can - all Tony winners that went I stage around the same time. I will say, if you dislike U2, then you might not enjoy the show.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #1739
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:

Our son was invited to play at Cooperstown Dreams Park the first year it was open...years ago!!! He loved it!!!

We just saw Newsies last month and it was awesome!!! Such a good show!!!

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:05 AM   #1740
Kimberle
WL Vet

FYI, those with ipones, you can download a free TKTS app. It's current as to what's at the "booth".
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level
Kimberle is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: