Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #1711
JenM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgerber View Post
The Lion King and Mary Poppins are both amazing, but you can never go wrong with Annie!! I have seen numerous productions of Annie, and I have loved them all!
Agreed! I loved Lion King and Mary Poppins, but Annie was the show/movie that introduced me and all of my friends to musicals when we were kids, and we still love it. We're all planning trips to see the new version (a few are bringing their own kids).

I think it's awesome that there are so many family musicals opening on Broadway. Between the three Disney shows, Wicked, Annie and Matilda (and Cinderella is coming too), it's like there's something for everyone.

Just wish they weren't so expensive.
JenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #1712
TifffanyD
Agreeing and making sense are not the same thing
I need to reload

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM View Post
Matilda looks amazing! I was watching clips on YouTube, and I can't wait until it gets here. They have 4 girls splitting the role of Matilda (they're going to do the same thing in NY), and all 4 performed at the Olivier Awards, they are adorable!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9yyiy7aqiE

There are more clips here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjj56XZcCAc

It looks awesome! So psyched for this show now.
Thank you for the links - that looks SO cute and fun! I love LOVE love Roald Dahl... so hopefully I get a chance to see this! The girls were so talented but why are there 4 of them?
TifffanyD is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #1713
Kimberle
WL Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TifffanyD View Post
Thank you for the links - that looks SO cute and fun! I love LOVE love Roald Dahl... so hopefully I get a chance to see this! The girls were so talented but why are there 4 of them?
Probably because they are under 18 and governed by child labor laws.
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level

Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #1714
Kimberle
WL Vet

I took my dd to see Phantom of the Opera yesterday. We both loved it. It was our first time seeing it.
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level

Old 09-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #1715
TifffanyD
I need to reload

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberle

Probably because they are under 18 and governed by child labor laws.
Well I mean why do they all perform at the same time?? Is that normal in the show?
Old 09-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #1716
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well I mean why do they all perform at the same time?? Is that normal in the show?
It was an awards ceremony - not a normal show number (though, obviously, the song is from the show).
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #1717
JenM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It was the Olivier Awards - Britain's version of the Tonys. All 4 girls were nominated (and they won!), so they all performed together at the ceremony. It's the same thing they did with Billy Elliot, where 3 kids shared the role and won a joint Tony (the London Billys did too).

They're going to the same thing with Matilda in NY, with 4 girls sharing the role. Should be interesting come Tony time, since Lilla Crawford is scheduled to play all 8 shows as Annie.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #1718
TifffanyD
I need to reload

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM

It was the Olivier Awards - Britain's version of the Tonys. All 4 girls were nominated (and they won!), so they all performed together at the ceremony. It's the same thing they did with Billy Elliot, where 3 kids shared the role and won a joint Tony (the London Billys did too).

They're going to the same thing with Matilda in NY, with 4 girls sharing the role. Should be interesting come Tony time, since Lilla Crawford is scheduled to play all 8 shows as Annie.
Ohhh so they don't normally all sing Naughty together... that makes MUCH more sense!
Old 09-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #1719
JenM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ohhh so they don't normally all sing Naughty together... that makes MUCH more sense!
Yep, at the regular performances only one girl plays Matilda. There are usually 8 performances a week, so presumably each of the girls just does two performances per week. They also usually understudy for each other, and I know with Billy Elliot the other kids playing Billy also played other children's roles in the show when they weren't on as Billy, but I'm not sure if they do that for Matilda.

In the US, labor laws allow a child to do 8 performances a week but it's obviously a lot for a kid to do, so they usually cast multiple kids to share the role. I'm not sure what the laws in London are, but the shows I've seen there with kids in the cast (Les Miz, Billy Elliot) also have several kids sharing the roles, so I'm guessing they're similar.

For the Oliviers, the four Matilda's shared a nomination for Best Featured Actress, so they all performed their big song at the ceremony. And they won, which was pretty cool. Their acceptance speech was adorable.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:48 PM   #1720
tweedlemom
DIS Veteran

Got my tix to see Newsies at the end of Oct--can't wait!

tweedlemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:55 AM   #1721
donac
BL6 Black Team Captain
The Vanilla Rooibus was heavenly
Heigh ho - Heigh ho - It's off to lose weight I go...

Ds2 saw it in APril and loved it (he also saw it last Oct before it moved to Broadway from NJ. His gf couldn't go in Oct so he promised her if it went to Broadway he would take her)

Ds1 and his gf are seeing it Oct 20th
Dona July 1980 with DH family Nov 1984 Last trip before kids Aug 1988 Poly 10th AnnvAug 1992 Port Orleans Other trips I can't nameAug 2002 POFQ, FW, AS sp with Sean and the girls Aug 2003 FW Our 25th Annv Trip Aug 2005 Camping with the Knotts Aug 2006 Twin Sister Trip Aug 2008 30 Anniv/grad Trip 2009 POFQ just us 2012 Grand Gathering with Sedlaks
donac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #1722
tweedlemom
DIS Veteran

We are supposed to be seeing Newsies this Sunday (10/28)!!!
Curse you Hurricane Sandy!
Hoping we just get mild rain. 3 o'clock show so hoping to head to the train right after and miss the heavy storm activity. Anyone else with show tickets during the projected hurricane???

Old 10-26-2012, 07:04 AM   #1723
Kimberle
WL Vet

Sunday is suppose to be fine. If it hits here, it shouldn't be until Mon or Tues. enjoy the show!

Old 10-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #1724
cajunmommy
DIS Veteran

We're considering tacking on a trip to NYC either before or after a trip to Cooperstown DreamsPark with my son's 12yo baseball team summer of 2013, and a show (or three!) is on my list of must-sees. I have questions....lots of questions. Anyone care to help???

How early should I start looking to book tickets? I know about the last-minute discount kiosks which would be OK for our family of 4, but what if we need something for a larger group? Is there a single source I can use to see which shows will be playing, or is it better to research the individual theaters?

On a second note, what about attire? I'm trying to limit what we pack, but I want to be sure we're not dressed inappropriately. I can't imagine our ballpark attire (tshirts, athletic shorts, flipflops) would be OK - even at a mid-summer matinee.

Thanks so much! Disney is easy.....this is so much more complicated.
cajunmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #1725
tweedlemom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberle View Post
Sunday is suppose to be fine. If it hits here, it shouldn't be until Mon or Tues. enjoy the show!
THANKS! I'll let y'all know how it goes!!!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: