Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 12:54 AM   #1696
RyMickey
Disney Freak
"Now get ready, here we go!"
I'm still not entirely sure about my tag

Just wanted to post that I recently saw two shows -- Peter and the Starcatcher (a Disney production) and Nice Work If You Can Get It -- one of which I thought was pretty great and one of which left quite a bit to be desired.

I'd be happy to discuss if anyone has any questions about either, but please check out my blog for full reviews of both -- RyMickey's Ramblings
Classic and Recently Released Movie Reviews
PLUS The Disney Discussion -- A look at all of Disney's animated features
Previous Trip Tally: 28 (I think) Trips since 1983 with stays at Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo House, Animal Kingdom Lodge - Kidani Village, Port Orleans FQ, All Star Sports, All Star Music, Yacht Club, Boardwalk Inn, Boardwalk Villas, Old Key West, Saratoga Springs Resort, Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort
RyMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:39 AM   #1697
snapppyd

Is the daughter a member of the Dis?
Every day seems to be April Fool's Day on the Dis lately

Location: Donna Reedville Mind Blown, Reeking Lumstown, OlderthanDirtboro, Only post the good ones, They Must be done away with at all costs,USA

I just got tickets to see Scandalous in November. Carolee Carmello (Mamma Mia, LeStat, Sister Act) is my husband's favorite broadway actress (along with Sutton Foster). I got him the tickets for our anniversary, we are 6th row, center orchestra. I can't wait!!! (I got an email for 30% on a pre-sale!)

...........................bored much?
snapppyd is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-11-2012, 07:40 AM   #1698
cabanafrau
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyMickey View Post
Just wanted to post that I recently saw two shows -- Peter and the Starcatcher (a Disney production) and Nice Work If You Can Get It -- one of which I thought was pretty great and one of which left quite a bit to be desired.

I'd be happy to discuss if anyone has any questions about either, but please check out my blog for full reviews of both -- RyMickey's Ramblings
Your reviews are a fabulous read, thank you for sharing.
cabanafrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:49 PM   #1699
Kitzka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4my2girlz View Post
We are debating between Annie & Mary Poppins for our spring break trip next year. I was excited to see Annie dates have already been released and Mary Poppins dates are now showing thru the middle of March.

I would like guidance on seating since we have never been to a broadway show. We will be taking our 7 & 8 year old daughters and are leaning towards a Saturday afternoon performance.

Any tips for Palace & New Amsterdam?

Many thanks!
I can't comment on Annie since it's not out yet but I can comment on seating.

The Palace is HUGE it's one of the largest theaters on Broadway. It can hold a lot of people. I think the best seats are on the mezzanine in the first 5 or 6 rows and int he front half of the orchestra. If you are up in the rear mezz or balcony you are pretty far away.

I haven't been to the New Amsterdam in about 5-6 years so I can't comment on where is best to sit there.

I guess the question is have your girls been to any other broadway shows? mary Poppins is pretty magical.

Lara
Old 09-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #1700
minijeanie
It is a great diversion from one's hectic day

Just got an invite to get tickets for new play CINDERELLA at Broadway Theatre. Previews start January 2013.

One thing very odd though. It stated no child under 4 years of age will be allowed in theatre. I am sure I brought my kids to Lion King and Beauty and Beast before they were 4 years old.

is this new rule?
I guess I can understand with the price of tickets now. The last thing you want to to is pay $100 plus for a ticket with a small child crying in your ear the entire time
1996- WL
1997-WL, BWV
1999-Dxl, Dolphin
2000-BC, Disney Cruise
2001-HRH,Poly, BWV
2003-HRH, BWV
2005-CR, BWV
2005-POR
2008-CSR,Swan
2012-SOG
minijeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #1701
Kimberle
WL Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by minijeanie View Post
Just got an invite to get tickets for new play CINDERELLA at Broadway Theatre. Previews start January 2013.

One thing very odd though. It stated no child under 4 years of age will be allowed in theatre. I am sure I brought my kids to Lion King and Beauty and Beast before they were 4 years old.

is this new rule?
I guess I can understand with the price of tickets now. The last thing you want to to is pay $100 plus for a ticket with a small child crying in your ear the entire time
Nearly all shows don't allow children under 4 in the building. I think Disney is the only exception.
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level
Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #1702
JenM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberle View Post
Nearly all shows don't allow children under 4 in the building. I think Disney is the only exception.
Yep. And Disney on Broadway's website lists the recommended age for all 3 of their shows as 6 and up. But it's just a recommendation, it's nothing that's enforced. I've seen plenty of kids younger than that at all of their shows.

When I saw Seussical on Broadway, someone brought an infant, and the kid screeched through the last 20 minutes of Act 1. It was not fun.

I saw my first Broadway show when I was 5. It was Peter Pan, starring Sandy Duncan. I still have the Playbill.

One show I missed as a kid, but loved anyway thanks to the movie was Annie. I'm totally excited that it's coming back this fall, I can't wait to finally see it!
JenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #1703
JenM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitzka View Post
I can't comment on Annie since it's not out yet but I can comment on seating.

The Palace is HUGE it's one of the largest theaters on Broadway. It can hold a lot of people. I think the best seats are on the mezzanine in the first 5 or 6 rows and int he front half of the orchestra. If you are up in the rear mezz or balcony you are pretty far away.

I haven't been to the New Amsterdam in about 5-6 years so I can't comment on where is best to sit there.

I guess the question is have your girls been to any other broadway shows? mary Poppins is pretty magical.

Lara
Agreed about the Palace, that place is huge. I'd say anywhere in the front half of the orchestra (although the seats further back aren't terrible), or towards the front of the mezzanine. I sat front row mezz when I saw Beauty and the Beast there and the seats were amazing.

As far as the New Amsterdam, the only section I'd avoid is the rear balcony. I saw Mary Poppins there, and the view wasn't great. I'd imagine the mezzanine would be perfect seating, especially for the last scene.

As far as the shows, I enjoyed Mary Poppins, but I liked the movie much better. It's very different - the story is told differently with some stuff from the Mary Poppins books (and they finally cut that crazy 'Temper, Temper' song where the kids were attacked by their toys!), but it's still very well done. Just don't expect a copy of the movie.

I'm a sucker for Annie, so I'd always recommend that. Matilda is opening on Broadway next spring, too. It's based on the Roald Dahl book (it was a movie too), and I heard the London production was amazing. Looking forward to that show too.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #1704
TifffanyD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM View Post
Agreed about the Palace, that place is huge. I'd say anywhere in the front half of the orchestra (although the seats further back aren't terrible), or towards the front of the mezzanine. I sat front row mezz when I saw Beauty and the Beast there and the seats were amazing.

As far as the New Amsterdam, the only section I'd avoid is the rear balcony. I saw Mary Poppins there, and the view wasn't great. I'd imagine the mezzanine would be perfect seating, especially for the last scene.

As far as the shows, I enjoyed Mary Poppins, but I liked the movie much better. It's very different - the story is told differently with some stuff from the Mary Poppins books (and they finally cut that crazy 'Temper, Temper' song where the kids were attacked by their toys!), but it's still very well done. Just don't expect a copy of the movie.

I'm a sucker for Annie, so I'd always recommend that. Matilda is opening on Broadway next spring, too. It's based on the Roald Dahl book (it was a movie too), and I heard the London production was amazing. Looking forward to that show too.
Matilda??? Ooooh I loved that book and the movie wasn't bad either!!

I don't make it out to NY but I see all the shows at our local theatre, which gets some really good ones (Sister Act, American Idiot, Elf, Wicked, War Horse all coming this season). Next season we have Book of Mormon coming. I hope we get Matilda at some point!
TifffanyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #1705
4my2girlz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM View Post

Yes, this will be their first Broadway Show...first trip to NYC - we are SO excited! My kids loved the movie Annie so I'm leaning towards that but I wish we had time (and $$) to see them all! (Lion King, Mary Poppins, Annie & now adding Matilda to the wish list)

Thanks for the advice!

12/19/12-12/25/12 AofA LM Christmas Trip for the Entire Family compliments of the MIL
11/2012 SeaWorld Hilton/Arts of Animation for 2 FULL WEEKS
8/2011 Pop Century Free Dining
9/2010 Pop Century Free Dining
9/2009 Pop Century Free Dining (girls first trip)
5/2000 Off Site 2nd Anniversary Trip
5/1998 Caribbean Beach HoneyMoon

4my2girlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #1706
elgerber
Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet & see a movie alone
Likes to grill year round

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4my2girlz View Post
Yes, this will be their first Broadway Show...first trip to NYC - we are SO excited! My kids loved the movie Annie so I'm leaning towards that but I wish we had time (and $$) to see them all! (Lion King, Mary Poppins, Annie & now adding Matilda to the wish list)

Thanks for the advice!
The Lion King and Mary Poppins are both amazing, but you can never go wrong with Annie!! I have seen numerous productions of Annie, and I have loved them all!
Old 09-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #1707
RyMickey
Disney Freak
"Now get ready, here we go!"
I'm still not entirely sure about my tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabanafrau View Post
Your reviews are a fabulous read, thank you for sharing.
And thank you for reading them!
Classic and Recently Released Movie Reviews
PLUS The Disney Discussion -- A look at all of Disney's animated features
Previous Trip Tally: 28 (I think) Trips since 1983 with stays at Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo House, Animal Kingdom Lodge - Kidani Village, Port Orleans FQ, All Star Sports, All Star Music, Yacht Club, Boardwalk Inn, Boardwalk Villas, Old Key West, Saratoga Springs Resort, Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort
RyMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #1708
minijeanie
It is a great diversion from one's hectic day

If you have a choice pick LION KING over ANNIE.. There is no comparison at all.

I have seen Annie 2x on Broadway. Yes it is cute and typical but it cannot ever compare to the magic of Lion King.
1996- WL
1997-WL, BWV
1999-Dxl, Dolphin
2000-BC, Disney Cruise
2001-HRH,Poly, BWV
2003-HRH, BWV
2005-CR, BWV
2005-POR
2008-CSR,Swan
2012-SOG
minijeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #1709
JenM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TifffanyD View Post
Matilda??? Ooooh I loved that book and the movie wasn't bad either!!

I don't make it out to NY but I see all the shows at our local theatre, which gets some really good ones (Sister Act, American Idiot, Elf, Wicked, War Horse all coming this season). Next season we have Book of Mormon coming. I hope we get Matilda at some point!
Matilda looks amazing! I was watching clips on YouTube, and I can't wait until it gets here. They have 4 girls splitting the role of Matilda (they're going to do the same thing in NY), and all 4 performed at the Olivier Awards, they are adorable!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9yyiy7aqiE

There are more clips here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjj56XZcCAc

It looks awesome! So psyched for this show now.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #1710
Art 1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minijeanie View Post
If you have a choice pick LION KING over ANNIE.. There is no comparison at all.

I have seen Annie 2x on Broadway. Yes it is cute and typical but it cannot ever compare to the magic of Lion King.
I agree.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: