Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #1681
TifffanyD
Agreeing and making sense are not the same thing
I need to reload
 
TifffanyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tampa, FL - an hourish from the mouse!
Posts: 7,547

Quote:
Originally Posted by gometros View Post
We saw Newsies on June 4th and absolutely LOVED it. There was a slight change from the movie, mostly a change to Bill Paxton's character, to give Jack a love interest, but that didn't ruin the underlying story at all. The dance numbers were fantastic and as a SYTYCD fan, it was great to see some SYTYCD alumni. It was a very energetic movie and the familiar songs will have you humming as you leave the theater.
Are the songs just familiar from the movie? I saw part of it once as a kid but I don't even remember anything about the movie.
TifffanyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #1682
gometros
WDWWDS Chief Weapons Inspector and Cruise Captain
Solemnly swears always to leave the tagging to the experts!! :p
 
gometros's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 7,336

Quote:
Originally Posted by TifffanyD View Post
Are the songs just familiar from the movie? I saw part of it once as a kid but I don't even remember anything about the movie.
I believe Menken might have added a song or two, but they are mostly familiar from the movie.
__________________
Sandy / @SandyCanetti
DVC '96

gometros is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #1683
JenM
DIS Veteran
 
JenM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TifffanyD View Post
Are the songs just familiar from the movie? I saw part of it once as a kid but I don't even remember anything about the movie.
They only cut two songs from the movie: "Lovey-Dovey Baby" and "High Times, Hard Times" (that won the Razzie Award in 1992 for Worst Song). Both were the songs that Ann Margaret sang. The character is still in the show, but she just has one (much better) song called "That's Rich".

There are actually quite a few new songs: Pulitzer has a song in Act 1called "The Bottom Line" that is reprised in Act 2, but it's not much.

Katherine, the female reporter that replaced Bill Pullman's character from the movie has an awesome new song called "Watch What Happens", which is also reprised in Act 2. She's also the new love interest for Jack, so they have a duet called "Something to Believe In". Jack also sings "I Never Planned on Someone Like You" in Act 1 when he's trying to flirt with her.

The Brooklyn gang also has a brand-new song, called "Brooklyn's Here."

The rest of the songs are from the movie, but they've been majorly re-written. "Santa Fe", Jack's big song, is an entirely different song now. It now opens the show (he's sings it to Crutchie), and it closes Act 1. He's no longer a wannabe cowboy like he was in the movie, he's now a talented artist. He paints the backgrounds at Medda's theater and they use his drawings to help settle the strike.

They also took what seemed like a throwaway song from the movie, called "Once and For All" and made into almost an anthem for the strike at the end.

It's very faithful to the movie, but they've also re-worked a lot of it for the stage, and got rid of stuff that didn't work in the movie (I love it, but I remember how badly it tanked when it first came out).

The show is awesome. I've seen it twice now, and it was even better the second time.
JenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #1684
JenM
DIS Veteran
 
JenM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,012

Also, as much as I adored Newsies...after seeing Once last week, I'm so glad they won the Best Musical Tony Award this year. Once was amazing!
JenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #1685
TifffanyD
Agreeing and making sense are not the same thing
I need to reload
 
TifffanyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tampa, FL - an hourish from the mouse!
Posts: 7,547

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM View Post
Also, as much as I adored Newsies...after seeing Once last week, I'm so glad they won the Best Musical Tony Award this year. Once was amazing!
I saw a tiny bit of that on SYTYCD and it was amazing!!! My husband said we should watch the movie for it (since it was a movie first)... I bet our theatre will get it when it starts touring!
TifffanyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #1686
Denise W
Boardwalk DVC Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 661

We are going to NYC in 2 weeks and have tickets to Porgy and Bess, Peter and the Starcatcher, and Book of Mormon. I am excited to see these shows!

Denise
Denise W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:40 PM   #1687
gometros
WDWWDS Chief Weapons Inspector and Cruise Captain
Solemnly swears always to leave the tagging to the experts!! :p
 
gometros's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 7,336

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM View Post
They only cut two songs from the movie: "Lovey-Dovey Baby" and "High Times, Hard Times" (that won the Razzie Award in 1992 for Worst Song). Both were the songs that Ann Margaret sang. The character is still in the show, but she just has one (much better) song called "That's Rich".

There are actually quite a few new songs: Pulitzer has a song in Act 1called "The Bottom Line" that is reprised in Act 2, but it's not much.

Katherine, the female reporter that replaced Bill Pullman's character from the movie has an awesome new song called "Watch What Happens", which is also reprised in Act 2. She's also the new love interest for Jack, so they have a duet called "Something to Believe In". Jack also sings "I Never Planned on Someone Like You" in Act 1 when he's trying to flirt with her.

The Brooklyn gang also has a brand-new song, called "Brooklyn's Here."

The rest of the songs are from the movie, but they've been majorly re-written. "Santa Fe", Jack's big song, is an entirely different song now. It now opens the show (he's sings it to Crutchie), and it closes Act 1. He's no longer a wannabe cowboy like he was in the movie, he's now a talented artist. He paints the backgrounds at Medda's theater and they use his drawings to help settle the strike.

They also took what seemed like a throwaway song from the movie, called "Once and For All" and made into almost an anthem for the strike at the end.

It's very faithful to the movie, but they've also re-worked a lot of it for the stage, and got rid of stuff that didn't work in the movie (I love it, but I remember how badly it tanked when it first came out).

The show is awesome. I've seen it twice now, and it was even better the second time.
I forgot about the switch from wannabe cowboy to aspiring artist, but they still kept Santa Fe in the show and I can't remember how they tied it in.
__________________
Sandy / @SandyCanetti
DVC '96

gometros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #1688
JenM
DIS Veteran
 
JenM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gometros View Post
I forgot about the switch from wannabe cowboy to aspiring artist, but they still kept Santa Fe in the show and I can't remember how they tied it in.
The movie version had poor Christian Bale clomping around pretending to ride a horse.

The new version reminds me a little of the beginning of Annie, when Annie is singing to Molly about who their parents might be. They said they wanted to establish Jack as the leader of the newsies, so they moved the song to the top of the show and had him sing it while looking after Crutchie. It's all new lyrics, but it was just a place he imagined would be better and by the end promises to Crutchie that he would always look after him.

So then after everything goes wrong (I don't want to give it away!), Jack sings the reprise at the end of Act 1, which has the few remaining lyrics from the movie ("where does it say you have to live and die here...").

One of the lyrics that was changed to reflect the whole artist switch:
Movie: "So that's what they call a family. Aren't you glad you ain't that way? Ain't you glad you got a dream called Santa Fe?"
Show: "Just be real, that's all I'm askin'. Not some painting in my head. 'Cause I'm dead, if I can't count on you today. I got nothin' if I ain't got Santa Fe."

I love the new version. They did such great re-writes on the music.
JenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #1689
Katieinwonderland
Disney bride July 2008
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Winter Garden, FL
Posts: 963

We just got back from a quick trip to NYC this past weekend.

We saw Newsies and The Best Man and thought both were really good. I wasn't that excited for Newsies but it turned out to be really good, some very talented people in that show! I don't think it's something I'd see again, but it was a good show. Friends of ours went to see Once the same night and absolutely raved about it, so I'm wondering if maybe we should have seen that instead - but Newsies was enjoyable.

The Best Man was a very good play and the talent was incredible! I admit I don't follow politics and am not great with my American political history, so some of the the jokes went over my head, but DH thought it was fantastic.

We went to the stage door for The Best Man because there were so many big names, and we weren't disappointed. We met James Earl Jones, John Laroquette, Cybil Shephard, Kristin Davis (Sex and the City) and John Stamos. James Earl Jones didn't sign autographs but he stood and talked to us all for ages, asked where we were from, etc. A very nice man - at his age to stand outside in the NYC heat and chat to people was impressive. John Stamos and Kristin Davis were really friendly too and chatted to us for ages - both commented on my baby bump and asked how I was feeling, which was super sweet.

The only disappointment was Cybil Shephard. She wasn't great in the show TBH, kind of flat like she was just reading the lines. Then at the stage door, while she did sign autographs and talk to people, she didn't smile once and seemed kind of down. I'm guessing she just had a bad night.
Katieinwonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #1690
crazymama
Mouseketeer
 
crazymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 414

Great to hear all the Newsies reviews. We are seeing it in New York this October (28 dancers and 10 teachers/chaperones!) So excited. Also seeing Mary Poppins. Wanted to pick shows that were family friendly with great dance in them! I was put in charge of choosing and booking shows (no pressure at all! ) I must put in a plug for booking with Disney Theatrical Bookings. They are super to deal with... guided me through the group booking process etc. Awesome to deal with! Of course I would like to see Book Of Mormon but didn't think the other parents would approve... Seeing that in January in Seattle though! We are from British Columbia and need to head south to Seattle to get our Broadway Fixes!
crazymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:23 PM   #1691
TifffanyD
Agreeing and making sense are not the same thing
I need to reload
 
TifffanyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tampa, FL - an hourish from the mouse!
Posts: 7,547

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymama View Post
Great to hear all the Newsies reviews. We are seeing it in New York this October (28 dancers and 10 teachers/chaperones!) So excited. Also seeing Mary Poppins. Wanted to pick shows that were family friendly with great dance in them! I was put in charge of choosing and booking shows (no pressure at all! ) I must put in a plug for booking with Disney Theatrical Bookings. They are super to deal with... guided me through the group booking process etc. Awesome to deal with! Of course I would like to see Book Of Mormon but didn't think the other parents would approve... Seeing that in January in Seattle though! We are from British Columbia and need to head south to Seattle to get our Broadway Fixes!
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh I love Mary Poppins! We saw it once (on tour) from the nosebleeds and are seeing it again this December from 4th row center!!! 1st row was available but I asked if that was good and they said some ppl prefer a few rows back so I asked for 4th or 5th. Can't wait!!

Hear book of mormon is slated for next year - YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TifffanyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #1692
KingK12
No boo boo, but Yes, I wanna get sauced
 
KingK12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberle View Post
Just back from Newsies! Oh my gosh!! EXCELLENT show!!! The dancing was spectacular! The use the entire height of the stage, so don't think the balcony seats are bad! See it if you can!
Saw it once with my fiance and we loved it!
__________________
KingK12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:41 AM   #1693
auntie
It's a really lovely way to spend the afternoon
THAT does sound good ;)
Everything I type sounds wierd today
I am the underwear fairy
 
auntie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 7,305

We saw Newsies last Sunday. I have to say we really enjoyed it. I was surprised at how much. Dancing was incredible. Very uplifting show.
__________________
~ Strange, isn't it? Each man's life touches so many other lives. When he isn't around he leaves an awful hole, doesn't he?~ Clarence Oddbody
auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #1694
4my2girlz
Mouseketeer
 
4my2girlz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 98

1st timer question

We are debating between Annie & Mary Poppins for our spring break trip next year. I was excited to see Annie dates have already been released and Mary Poppins dates are now showing thru the middle of March.

I would like guidance on seating since we have never been to a broadway show. We will be taking our 7 & 8 year old daughters and are leaning towards a Saturday afternoon performance.

Any tips for Palace & New Amsterdam?

Many thanks!
__________________
DH DW DD 7 years DD 6 years

12/19/12-12/25/12 AofA LM Christmas Trip for the Entire Family compliments of the MIL
11/2012 SeaWorld Hilton/Arts of Animation for 2 FULL WEEKS
8/2011 Pop Century Free Dining
9/2010 Pop Century Free Dining
9/2009 Pop Century Free Dining (girls first trip)
5/2000 Off Site 2nd Anniversary Trip
5/1998 Caribbean Beach HoneyMoon

4my2girlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #1695
lorimay
DIS Veteran
 
lorimay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katieinwonderland View Post
We just got back from a quick trip to NYC this past weekend.

We saw Newsies and The Best Man and thought both were really good. I wasn't that excited for Newsies but it turned out to be really good, some very talented people in that show! I don't think it's something I'd see again, but it was a good show. Friends of ours went to see Once the same night and absolutely raved about it, so I'm wondering if maybe we should have seen that instead - but Newsies was enjoyable.

The Best Man was a very good play and the talent was incredible! I admit I don't follow politics and am not great with my American political history, so some of the the jokes went over my head, but DH thought it was fantastic.

We went to the stage door for The Best Man because there were so many big names, and we weren't disappointed. We met James Earl Jones, John Laroquette, Cybil Shephard, Kristin Davis (Sex and the City) and John Stamos. James Earl Jones didn't sign autographs but he stood and talked to us all for ages, asked where we were from, etc. A very nice man - at his age to stand outside in the NYC heat and chat to people was impressive. John Stamos and Kristin Davis were really friendly too and chatted to us for ages - both commented on my baby bump and asked how I was feeling, which was super sweet.

The only disappointment was Cybil Shephard. She wasn't great in the show TBH, kind of flat like she was just reading the lines. Then at the stage door, while she did sign autographs and talk to people, she didn't smile once and seemed kind of down. I'm guessing she just had a bad night.
We are going to be in NYC the last 2 days of "The Best Man". I am so excited to see this play. I will definitely go to the stage door afterwards.!!!!!
__________________
lorimay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: