Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #1666
Katieinwonderland
Disney bride July 2008

DH and I go to NYC a few times a year to visit family/friends and always try to see a few shows. We're going back in August and for the first time, nothing is really jumping out at us We've seen all of the big name shows (except The Book of Mormon, and although I'd love to see that, DH has no interest in it) and after watching the Tony's this year, none of the new shows really appeal to us. Had any of the newer ones (that will still be open!)?

We're also considering seeing The Best Man, purely for the cast. If anyone has seen that, I'd love feedback on that too.
Katieinwonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #1667
gometros
WDWWDS Chief Weapons Inspector and Cruise Captain
Solemnly swears always to leave the tagging to the experts!! :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katieinwonderland View Post
DH and I go to NYC a few times a year to visit family/friends and always try to see a few shows. We're going back in August and for the first time, nothing is really jumping out at us We've seen all of the big name shows (except The Book of Mormon, and although I'd love to see that, DH has no interest in it) and after watching the Tony's this year, none of the new shows really appeal to us. Had any of the newer ones (that will still be open!)?

We're also considering seeing The Best Man, purely for the cast. If anyone has seen that, I'd love feedback on that too.
If you like Gershwin and old style musical, I would highly recommend Nice Work If You Can Get It. Wonderful music and it was hilarious.

gometros is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2012, 07:56 PM   #1668
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

I saw this on Groupon today. Available for another 3 days:

49% off Cirque du Soleil: Zarkana at Radio City Music Hall - July 11–31 ONLY

Expires Jul 31, 2012
Limit 8 per person.

*** Make sure you read ALL the fine print before ordering ***

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gl-zark...york?c=dnb&p=2
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:26 AM   #1669
LBIJim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gometros View Post
If you like Gershwin and old style musical, I would highly recommend Nice Work If You Can Get It. Wonderful music and it was hilarious.
Just saw this last night. Very funny with a great cast. Wasn't expecting all that much based on the mixed reviews, but it was a very pleasant surprise. (Like virtually all musicals, however, it has some ridiculous plot twists that you just have to play along with while enjoying the music and dancing.)

Oh yeah, chorus girls in 1920s sexy flapper costumes.

Jim
LBIJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #1670
Mickdeb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pansmermaidzlagoon View Post
We saw "Harvey" yesterday, very well done and lots of fun!

Jim Parsons is spot on and the supporting cast (Rich Sommer, Carol Kane, Jessica Hecht,...) is amazing!

see it, if you get a chance - I think it ends Aug 30th.

We are going tomorrow night, good to hear you enjoyed it. What is the theater like, did they totally refurbish Studio 54 into theater seating with a balcony, like any other theater? We love Jim Parsons, can't wait to see him.
Thanks.

Mickdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #1671
Cogswel_Cogs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickdeb View Post
We are going tomorrow night, good to hear you enjoyed it. What is the theater like, did they totally refurbish Studio 54? We love Jim Parsons, can't wait to see him.
Thanks.
We are going in a week or so. Really looking forward to it though, I really love the movie. I am afraid I will disapointed.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #1672
JenM
DIS Veteran

I just got tickets for Harvey too! I'm seeing it August 2nd. My sister and brother-in-law saw it this week, they loved it. But they did say the seats were very uncomfortable.

I saw Carrie Fisher's show, Wishful Drinking, at Studio 54 a few years ago, and I seem to recall the seats were pretty rough. Show was great, though. I'll never watch Star Wars quite the same way again.
JenM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #1673
Cogswel_Cogs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We are going tomorrow night, good to hear you enjoyed it. What is the theater like, did they totally refurbish Studio 54 into theater seating with a balcony, like any other theater? We love Jim Parsons, can't wait to see him.
Thanks.
Just saw it last night.
It was great. Quite different from the movie(which is one of my favorite movies).
Jim Parsons was very good, much more slapstick than the movie. I wonder now if the original play was more slapstick than the movie. Almost like two completely different takes, but it shows you how good the dialouge truely is.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #1674
pansmermaidzlagoon
Mickey asks that you not advise screwing things into his head

Quote:
Thanks.
I am not sure I can answer, I thought the actual Studio 54 was downstairs - and is now a cabaret, 54 Below, but I am probably wrong?! I clearly don't know much about Studio 54!

I can say it is an older (but very nice!), smaller theater - with small seats! If the club was in this space, you would never know it. It is like any other theater with a balcony. etc. I remember the lobby being very narrow. You enter the theater looking at the right wall, not down at the stage as I am used to. The bar is set up in the the back of the orchestra seats, in front of you as you enter.

Enjoy the show, it is great fun!!!
'11 WONDER Alaska Cruise: '13 WILDERNESS LODGE

Last edited by pansmermaidzlagoon; 07-22-2012 at 10:18 PM.
pansmermaidzlagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:44 PM   #1675
AllisonK
Be Marvelous!!!

So I just came back from NYC yesterday and while I was there I saw Rock of Ages, Sister Act and Evita - all of which I had seen before. My friend and I specifically went for Evita, and I was hoping to see something new but my friend said that the shows I wanted to see (Newsies and Bring it On) sounded boring...

Anyway, I wasn't really looking forward to Rock of Ages because it's not one of my favorites - but it was fun. I've always found the show to be very loud and I feel that the dialogue gets muffled sometimes and it's hard to understand the book scenes.

I only agreed to see Sister Act because my friend is leaving the show on Sunday and I thought it would be nice to see her again. The last two times I saw it she was on for the lead role and the show just worked. It's still a funny show and the cast works very hard but Raven-Symoné is playing the lead and I felt like she was trying too hardtop be funny - and it just fell flat most of the time. I still love the show but this wasn't the best performance.

Evita was wonderful. I know the standby for Eva and so we picked the Wednesday evening performance to see her perform. She is wonderful and sings the role beautifully - she hits all the right notes and never sounds like she's straining. My friend thought her voice was "too pretty" for the role - which I can see why people think that. She's a natural soprano who can belt - she played Glinda in Wicked about 5 years ago and I can see how people think she is going against her type - but I just think that it proves she's versatile. Ricky Martin is nothing special - he sings well and looks pretty, but that's about it. The rest of the cast is top-notch though - and technically the shoe is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen on stage.

I do have to say that the audience was the worst I have EVER encountered in the 17 years I've been going to shows - either on Broadway or in Providence or Boston. They treated the show as if it were a Ricky Martin concert. If he wasn't singing they were all talking. It was ridiculous. There are 30 other very talented performers up on that stage working their tales off to bring the shoe to life - give them the same amount of respect you're giving to the star above the title. The couple in back of me were not only talking themselves but letting their kids (about 6 and 9) talk through the whole show. My friend said "That's ok, they're just kids. They can talk." No. It's not ok. If you can't trust your kids to not sit quietly through a performance, maybe it's best to get a babysitter. (And these people were in the "premium" seats that start at about $250 apiece - my friend Andy were in the regular full price seats and the premiums were behind ours.) and then the lady next to me was singing throughout the show. I wanted so badly to tell them all that because they're sitting in the first two rows of the theatre, the entire company on stage can - and do - see them...

I'm sorry. That was a bit of a rant. But this is one of those shows where the "star" doesn't attract the most respectful audiences. I do have to say that the audience at Sister Act was fantastic and gave rest of the cast the same amount of applause that they gave Raven, which I thought was wonderful.

4/93 - Caribbean Beach Resort ~ 4/96 - Dixie Landings ~ 11/98 - MK Only ~ 4/00 - Port Orleans French Quarter ~ 1/09 - Port Orleans Riverside ~ 1/12 - Pop Century
AllisonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #1676
TifffanyD
Agreeing and making sense are not the same thing
I need to reload

My theatre just announced that they've secured Book of Mormon for the next (2013-2014) season!! I am beyond excited! Just had to share with everyone!
TifffanyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:15 AM   #1677
TifffanyD
I need to reload

Hi all!!! More good news to share! I just got my season tickets to the 2012-2013 season in the mail this weekend!! We buy the cloud club seats (in the back) due to price BUT there were extra shows we were able to add on and we could pick any price level we wanted for those. Wellll we bought best price level for Elf and American Idiot and we got Front Row Center for both shows!!!

Both of these shows are on my MUST SEE list so I am super excited. I am addictedddddddd to the movie Elf and the show is on my husband and my anniversary!!

Now I just have to wait and see what kind of Lottery seats I get for Wicked and see about exchanging Sister Act for another date. Hopefully they can do that!
Old 07-30-2012, 08:22 AM   #1678
Katieinwonderland
Disney bride July 2008

We have tickets to see Newsies on August 6th (I think!) - I'm not that excited to be honest, but the people we know who have seen it raved about it so going in with an open mind.

We're also going to go to TKTS to see about getting seats for The Best Man for Tuesday 7th - we were going to buy tickets in advance, but now the cast has changed we're not as excited to see that as we were. Still, seeing John Stamos can't be bad!

Now looking forward to schelpping my six-month pregnant butt around NYC in the summer weather!
Katieinwonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #1679
TifffanyD
I need to reload

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katieinwonderland View Post
We have tickets to see Newsies on August 6th (I think!) - I'm not that excited to be honest, but the people we know who have seen it raved about it so going in with an open mind.

We're also going to go to TKTS to see about getting seats for The Best Man for Tuesday 7th - we were going to buy tickets in advance, but now the cast has changed we're not as excited to see that as we were. Still, seeing John Stamos can't be bad!

Now looking forward to schelpping my six-month pregnant butt around NYC in the summer weather!
I'll be interested to know what you think of Newsies... some of the shows I wasn't that excited for were the biggest surprise hits. Of course, there were some I was pretty darn sure I wouldn't like... and I was right. We've left 2 shows at intermission (Dreamgirls and Peter Pan... the latter wasn't terrible but it was very juvenile and we were both under the weather so it wasn't worth staying to us).
Old 07-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #1680
gometros
WDWWDS Chief Weapons Inspector and Cruise Captain
Solemnly swears always to leave the tagging to the experts!! :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by TifffanyD View Post
I'll be interested to know what you think of Newsies... some of the shows I wasn't that excited for were the biggest surprise hits. Of course, there were some I was pretty darn sure I wouldn't like... and I was right. We've left 2 shows at intermission (Dreamgirls and Peter Pan... the latter wasn't terrible but it was very juvenile and we were both under the weather so it wasn't worth staying to us).
We saw Newsies on June 4th and absolutely LOVED it. There was a slight change from the movie, mostly a change to Bill Paxton's character, to give Jack a love interest, but that didn't ruin the underlying story at all. The dance numbers were fantastic and as a SYTYCD fan, it was great to see some SYTYCD alumni. It was a very energetic movie and the familiar songs will have you humming as you leave the theater.

gometros is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: