Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2012, 08:46 PM   #1636
LBIJim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minijeanie View Post
my local ymca is running trip for Rock of Ages in October.. $130 for orchestra seat and includes the bus, I am about 40 min. from nyc and trying to figure out if this is a good deal. I can make installment payments each month.

If I drive in I have to factor in tolls and parking (around $50) but would go with people so we can share cost.
Has anyone seen this show?
Yes, I saw Rock of Ages a few months ago and enjoyed it very much.

I got a single ticket at the TKTS booth in Times Square for about $70, so I guessing the standard cost is about $130 or so. Plus you're getting transportation. Sounds like a good deal to me. Enjoy the show.

Jim
LBIJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:02 AM   #1637
Kimberle
WL Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4my2girlz View Post
We will be visiting NYC as a family for the first time March 29 - April 3, 2013. (My husband & I have been on several day bus trips but have never taken our girls)

At the time of travel, my daughters will be 7 & 8 1/2 and I really want to take them to a Broadway show...Mary Poppins, Lion King, or Wicked - Which do you recommend?

Best seats?

Is there a particular day of the week/time that is best?

How soon will show dates be released?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated?
I wouldn't take them to Wicked at their ages. It's a bit dark and could frighten younger kids. MP & LP are wonderful. MP always has discounted seats. LK never does. A weeknight is always the easiest for getting seats. Many shows now start at 7pm week nights. MP is NOT the movie. Disney went back to the BOOK when writting this show. I loved it, but some are disapointed because it's not the movie. Newsies is also a wonderful show. Your girls would love it. The dancing is amazing. You can see clips here: http://newsiesbanner.com/
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level
Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #1638
Kitzka
DIS Veteran

I just saw newsies last night. We did see it at the papermill in the fall but it was so good! The singing, dancing were all incredible. And th boys! WOW. They are all so cute!

Dd and her 2 friends also loved it.

Lara
Old 06-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #1639
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

Going to see TLK in Greenville SC this week!! So excited!!

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #1640
MissDisney121
DIS Veteran

I saw Idina Menzel last night. In case you don't know (and who wouldn't on here) she was in Rent, Chess, Wicked and more. She was AMAZING!!! I don't know if I have ever been to a better concert. She made me cry no less than 4 times and her voice is just as amazing in person as you would think it would be. I hope I get to see her again.

MissDisney121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:24 PM   #1641
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
my local ymca is running trip for Rock of Ages in October.. $130 for orchestra seat and includes the bus, I am about 40 min. from nyc and trying to figure out if this is a good deal. I can make installment payments each month.

If I drive in I have to factor in tolls and parking (around $50) but would go with people so we can share cost.
Has anyone seen this show?
Why wouldn't you just take the train in - then you can get cheaper tix and save.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:46 PM   #1642
pansmermaidzlagoon
Mickey asks that you not advise screwing things into his head

Saw "Nice Work if You Can Get It" last night - it is soooo funny. The entire cast is amazing!

DD14 got a hug and her picture taken with Christian Borle tonight. We didn't see the show, but were walking past the theater after a very late dinner. He is so sweet! She is still on cloud nine - never gonna get her to sleep tonight!!!!!

Also got pics of Corbin Bleu and Anna Maria after their matinee - again were just walking back to our hotel...
'11 WONDER Alaska Cruise: '13 WILDERNESS LODGE
pansmermaidzlagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:37 AM   #1643
4my2girlz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I may be in the minority but I found wicked very dark.I know it is big hit with all, but for me it was just alright, I would totally recommend Lion King.. It was the BEST. Get orchestra seats. Mary Poppins was fun too but if you only had to pick one, pick Lion King.. Have Fabulous time in the city.. Have you picked your hotel yet?
Thanks for the info!

And yes, we will be exchanging through a timeshare, so there was only one option - The Manhattan Club (56th Street & 7th Avenue) hope its a good location!

I am SO EXCITED!!

12/19/12-12/25/12 AofA LM Christmas Trip for the Entire Family compliments of the MIL
11/2012 SeaWorld Hilton/Arts of Animation for 2 FULL WEEKS
8/2011 Pop Century Free Dining
9/2010 Pop Century Free Dining
9/2009 Pop Century Free Dining (girls first trip)
5/2000 Off Site 2nd Anniversary Trip
5/1998 Caribbean Beach HoneyMoon

4my2girlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #1644
4my2girlz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberle View Post
I wouldn't take them to Wicked at their ages. It's a bit dark and could frighten younger kids. MP & LP are wonderful. MP always has discounted seats. LK never does. A weeknight is always the easiest for getting seats. Many shows now start at 7pm week nights. MP is NOT the movie. Disney went back to the BOOK when writting this show. I loved it, but some are disapointed because it's not the movie. Newsies is also a wonderful show. Your girls would love it. The dancing is amazing. You can see clips here: http://newsiesbanner.com/
Thanks so much for the info!

12/19/12-12/25/12 AofA LM Christmas Trip for the Entire Family compliments of the MIL

Old 06-25-2012, 09:41 AM   #1645
4my2girlz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM View Post
Awesome, they'll have a blast! All three of those shows are really good. If you see Wicked, make sure they've seen The Wizard of Oz first.

Also, Annie is coming back to Broadway, so that's another option. My friends and I loved that musical when we were that age.

Since that's Easter weekend, the city will be crazy busy, so make sure you have tickets in advance. I'm not sure how early Ticketmaster and Telecharge open new seating blocks for next year, but just keep checking their show's websites for ticket availability.

You can usually find discounts to Mary Poppins on Broadwaybox.com. Just avoid the rear balcony seats. We sat up there and the view wasn't very good.

Wicked and Lion King are still sellouts, so they don't often have discounts (Lion King does more often than Wicked). Front mezzanine seats are usually the best view of the stage.

Have fun!
Thanks for the info! My girls LOVED the movie Annie, so that may be another option!

Old 06-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #1646
StacyMarie
DIS Veteran

Taking my DD this Saturday to see Wicked. It's a surprise last minute trip. We've been trying to figure out what to get her for her 17th birthday and this morning on a local TV show, they were talking about Broadway shows. Low and behold when I searched Wicked to see where it was right now, it's less than 2 hours away. I got online and got some fantastic seats for her and myself for the 2 o'clock show. I'm so excited. We've seen Phantom twice and Annie once. She's been begging to see this show. I'm just so glad that I was able to pull this off last minute. We are sitting 10th row, center. I can't wait to surprise her with the tickets on her actual birthday on Wednesday.

Stacy Jay Natalee Sydnee
Disney's Pop Century August 2012 August 2011 Pop Century Disney's Polynesian August 2010 Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort August 2009 Grand Floridian - October 1997
StacyMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:39 PM   #1647
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

Quote:
I may be in the minority but I found wicked very dark.I know it is big hit with all, but for me it was just alright, I would totally recommend Lion King.. It was the BEST. Get orchestra seats. Mary Poppins was fun too but if you only had to pick one, pick Lion King.. Have Fabulous time in the city.. Have you picked your hotel yet?
Be careful about sitting too far back for Lion King. The Minskoff Theatre is huge. And avoid the balcony/mezzanine if you can, especially the back. They are truly nosebleed seats.
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #1648
JenM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4my2girlz View Post
Thanks for the info! My girls LOVED the movie Annie, so that may be another option!
Cool! The stage version is a bit different from the 1982 movie (which is the movie I obsessed over as an 8-year-old ), but much closer to the Disney TV-movie version.

But any version of Annie is good, so you certainly can't go wrong with that one.

I'll also join the chorus recommending Newsies. That show was so much fun. And it was based on a Disney movie too.
JenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:19 PM   #1649
KYfriedPanda
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDisney121 View Post
I saw Idina Menzel last night. In case you don't know (and who wouldn't on here) she was in Rent, Chess, Wicked and more. She was AMAZING!!! I don't know if I have ever been to a better concert. She made me cry no less than 4 times and her voice is just as amazing in person as you would think it would be. I hope I get to see her again.

She is fantastic - I've seen her 3 times and every time she does a different show. If you're on facebook, follow her - she updates while she's on the road and sometimes posts pictures.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #1650
merlib
Mouseketeer

Peter and the Starcatcher

My dh and I saw this show last Saturday and give it a solid 2 thumbs up. It is absolutely hilarious! Christian Borle does a great job with lots of slapstick pratfalls and knows when to play to the audience to get the big laughs. The dialog is very fast paced and full of all sorts of gag lines that if you aren't listening carefully you will miss. This was the matinee show and there were lots of kids in the audience. The show is fun for them, but even more so for the adult!

Next show will be for dd and dh -- they are seeing Book of Mormon in August. I'm not a South Park fan, so opted not to go.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: